15 replies to this topic

#1 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

This is for all the BT tragics out there, and yes I have way too much time on my hands today. As a relative newb to BT I have often wondered exactly what type of mechs each house uses? So today I trawled through all the 3062 Field Manuals to get a feel for it. Each manual has a random mech generator for campaign games, so I sat down and worked out the likelihood of each mech (currently announced for MWO) being rolled up from this table.

The % are broken down by class, so it gives you a rough idea of the % of mechs of a given weight category. Note that the date for these field manuals is about 3062, which is a little bit on from where MWO is currently, but I think it still gives a good sense of each House's personality.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Lycrin

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hahah, nice charts. And it seems the Liao mechs are more common in this game. Curious though, I don't see the Flea on any of those charts. Which house used that mech more or at all for that matter?

Edited by Lycrin, 16 February 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#3 Risko Vinsheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostLycrin, on 16 February 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Curious though, I don't see the Flea on any of those charts. Which house used that mech more or at all for that matter?

Far as I'm aware the Flea was a product of the Wolf's Dragoons, or at least the current versions of it. I could be completely and utterly wrong, though.

#4 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

this is awesome

seems like a good portion of house liao mechs have been released. then again a good portion of house liao mechs are catapults lol.

Edited by Tennex, 16 February 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#5 Dexion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationWestern Ma.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

I can't Imagine that the flea accounts for more then 1% in any ones military. That said, I'm sure planetary militias purchased the bulk of them.

#6 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Very nice!

Looks like House Davion and House Marik could use some more light 'Mechs in MWO. The biggest problem with that being that the most likely House Davion light is the unseen Valkyrie, while House Marik's would be the Hermes, which would qualify (at least three variants by 3049, not unseen) but doesn't offer much that the Spider doesn't already.

House Marik could also do with another heavy 'Mech; the Guillotine might plug that gap well. And House Kurita are a bit short on for assaults, which the Hatamoto would round out nicely.

#7 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

I don't recall seeing any fleas on any of the charts - but what Risko says sounds familiar - I think they were mostly Wolf's Dragoons. But also I didn't see many of the more minor variants such as AWS-8T so I wouldn't consider these lists exhaustive but more indicative.

A few of the more prominent mechs that aren't currently in MWO include:

Panther
Firestarter
Urbanmech
Hatchetman
Grasshopper
Banshee
Charger
Locust
Shadowhawk
Urbanmech
Battlemaster
Javelin
Enforcer
Urbanmech
Victor

Edited by Jungle Rhino, 16 February 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#8 Kodiak Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 935 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

it was a free world league mech form what i remeber and it was pulled from service just before the sucession wars due to heavy losses, the wolf dragoons re-introduced the design when they entered the inner sphere.

#9 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

In each house, 40% of the the 'Other' majority is

Posted Image

#10 Merky Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 871 posts
  • LocationRidin down the street in my 6-4

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

That's an impressive effort, but wouldn't the mechs in a 3062 timeline reflect all the new tech that the IS gets around 3057? While MWO's mechs are largely replaced or outdated by then? I could be wrong on that last question as I know there are updates for many of the mechs, but I know there are lots of shiny new mediums and heavies for 3062. Not to mention clan tech purchases courtesy the er... merchant clan(?) the sharks or something?

Off the top of my head doesn't the Jenner just get phased out for the Owens?

#11 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostRisko Vinsheen, on 16 February 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

Far as I'm aware the Flea was a product of the Wolf's Dragoons, or at least the current versions of it. I could be completely and utterly wrong, though.

House Liao has them too. We... "liberated" the schematics and produce them. :)

Cool charts OP, altough they can hardly be taken seriously when you conider the 12 year leap which makes a world of a difference (the stats are for Sun Tzu's Confederation past the Liao-Marik offensive and St.Ives-Capellan war, or the Draconis Combine /Lyran Commonwealth after the beat-up they received from Clans).

Edited by Adridos, 16 February 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#12 arNu

Rookie

• The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

View PostJungle Rhino, on 16 February 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

I don't recall seeing any fleas on any of the charts - but what Risko says sounds familiar - I think they were mostly Wolf's Dragoons. But also I didn't see many of the more minor variants such as AWS-8T so I wouldn't consider these lists exhaustive but more indicative.

Panther
Firestarter
Urbanmech
Hatchetman
Grasshopper
Banshee
Charger
Locust
Shadowhawk
Urbanmech
Battlemaster
Javelin
Enforcer
Urbanmech
Victor

My god.. I want a hatchetman so bad.

#13 Merky Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 871 posts
  • LocationRidin down the street in my 6-4

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostarNu, on 16 February 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

My god.. I want a hatchetman so bad.

I have mixed feelings, on the one hand I would use it on the other hand... melee mechs have always seemed really stupid to me.

#14 Karenai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 340 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostKodiak Jorgensson, on 16 February 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

it was a free world league mech form what i remeber and it was pulled from service just before the sucession wars due to heavy losses, the wolf dragoons re-introduced the design when they entered the inner sphere.
Yes it was a FWL mech. And got destroyed so much during the sucession wars that Earthwerks switched to more heavy mechs. When the Dragoons came they had many Fleas with them and after losing many in the fourth succession war made an exclusive contract with Earthwerks to start producing them again. The Maskirovka stole the design later on, because that is what they do and Liao started to produce Fleas also.The Dragoons let the contract expire and with the name of a Dragoon mech (also beeing a simple cheap but also effective design) Eartwerks sold many a Flea to everyone who had credits.

#15 Dukarriope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Locationa creative suite

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

I kinda think this isn't really relevant to MWO because, well, it's 3062. As you can see there aren't many Dragons in Kurita for instance in 3062 whereas in 3049 they're still abundant. But nice charts, it's really fascinating data. I don't know much about the BattleTech lore, so stuff like this is genuinely informational to me.

Edited by Dukarriope, 16 February 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#16 Haxxplz

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostJungle Rhino, on 16 February 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

Panther
Firestarter
Urbanmech
Hatchetman
Grasshopper
Banshee
Charger
Locust
Shadowhawk
Urbanmech
Battlemaster