This Motion Sickness Prone Player Says Thank You!

20 replies to this topic

#1 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

So when this game was first announced I, like many of you, felt like it was Christmas/A Bill Free Pay Day/First Beer of the Weekend all rolled into one. I could scarcely contain myself.

Shortly afterward, it was announced that this was likely to be a first-person "in the cockpit" view only game.

I, along with others, was worried a bit upon hearing this, not because of some perceived advantage in-game that this was likely to cost me, but because this had the potential to make the game completely unplayable for me due to crazy bouts of motion sensitivity I tend to suffer in many first person games. As both a player of table-top, and dedicated fan of the franchise, since 1991, this had me nervous.

I posted the following here on the forums shortly after hearing about the 1PV only thing...

"While I personally prefer the idea of 1st person views, from an immersion stand-point, sadly, a lot of the time I am unable to play using it, since I'm one of those sad individuals plagued by chronic motion sickness brought on by shaky/wobbly 1st person views, or hand-held camera footage.

I tend to prefer 3rd person more out of necessity than out of any sort of realism/immersion considerations, and while there are the odd 1st person perspectives that are well presented and smooth enough to play with, I certainly hope that there is the option for 3rd person at least, in-case the 1st person once again proves to do me wrong."

And shortly afterward, much to my surprise and delight, received the following reply, quoting my above remarks, from none other than Bryan Ekman himself...

"Great point. I'm going to make sure we take this into consideration with our design."

Well friends, I am here to tell you, that after finally getting the computer upgrade I needed to be able to install and run the game, and getting my first few matches under my belt, I can say without any reservation...BRAVO!

I have seen the mountaintop, and it is a thing of beauty. Very smooth execution on the 1PV folks, and so it seems my above fears were ultimately unfounded. The game gives me that feel of immersion through the cockpit presentation, right along with an amazingly silky camera view. It's fantastic! And most importantly...playable for one such as myself!

And so I must say. Thank you. Thank you. A million times. Thank you!

If you need me, I'll be found comfortably in my mech's cockpit, happily enjoying the view. Now to add a Hula Girl... :D

Sincerely, Rip Snorgan, 1PV convert, thanks to your developmental efforts.

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

My jimmies are eternally rustled.

#3 ConnorSinclair

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationPlanet Tranquil--HighOrbit--

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

please make adjustments for the deaf, we've got a deaf player riffleman who has a hard time picking up where players are on audio.

Edited by ConnorSinclair, 16 February 2013 - 11:44 PM.

#4 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

So you're the one who made PGI consider 3rd person view, even before playing the game, and now you're here to tell us that you are OK with 1PV?!

/crytosleep

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 16 February 2013 - 11:46 PM.

#5 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

View PostConnorSinclair, on 16 February 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

please make adjustments for the deaf, we've got a deaf player riffleman who has a hard time picking up where players are on audio.

This is actually true.

#6 lsp

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

I don't understand how you can get motion sickness while sitting in a chair not moving, from a video game.

#7 Orgasmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

View Postlsp, on 16 February 2013 - 11:48 PM, said:

I don't understand how you can get motion sickness while sitting in a chair not moving, from a video game.

Same way you can get motion sickness from watching movies at the cinema, especially 3D movies. Those things hurt my head.

#8 ConnorSinclair

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationPlanet Tranquil--HighOrbit--

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

View PostOrgasmo, on 16 February 2013 - 11:49 PM, said:

Same way you can get motion sickness from watching movies at the cinema, especially 3D movies. Those things hurt my head.

I need to start carrying UAC for lulz

#9 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

dramamine is ur friend

#10 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

View PostOrgasmo, on 16 February 2013 - 11:49 PM, said:

3D movies give me a wicked headache too. And long periods playing FPSs will often leave me a little light headed.

#11 Volume

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

View PostConnorSinclair, on 16 February 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

I need to start carrying UAC for lulz

A few AC/2 works fine too.

@ OP, I'm glad you're able to play this game without having motion sickness. I do think they did a good job overall with it, and I am quite happy that 3PV is not necessary for you.

#12 Nostram

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

You don't have to understand it, but it is a serious issue for a lot of people. I know several people that have severe enough issues with it that what games they can play are limited to mostly non fps style games.

#13 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

View PostNostram, on 17 February 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

You don't have to understand it, but it is a serious issue for a lot of people. I know several people that have severe enough issues with it that what games they can play are limited to mostly non fps style games.

If you can't play FPS games...why are you playing FPS games and complaining that they operate like FPS games?

#14 Alik Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

Not to Dis or anything, but if your ever in a match with me I tend to pilot Jenners and Spiders (I occasionally break my own legs jumping around sometimes)... so don't spectate me if you die 1st... already had someone comment about making him want to throw-up tonight. :D

#15 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 16 February 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

So you're the one who made PGI consider 3rd person view, even before playing the game, and now you're here to tell us that you are OK with 1PV?!

/crytosleep

Well, to be fair, if you read over my posts on the issue, yes, I did advocate for 3PV as an option (just in case 1PV proved too shaky and nausea inducing) but also said on a few occasions that I would prefer a well executed and playable (for me) 1PV, since I'm a bit of a lore/immersion junky.

I read Mr. Eckman's reply to be just as much about considering the nature of the way 1PV was implemented as being about the consideration of 3PV. And the way 1PV ended up being used, leads me to believe he took his reply seriously. All this is about, is sending some appreciation to the Devs, since it feels to me like they actually did try to keep a certain concerned segment of the fan/player base in mind, while at the same time keeping the playing field level, and negating the problems associated with "Hill Humping".

It's an elegant balance, in my opinion.

#16 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostAlik Kerensky, on 17 February 2013 - 01:36 AM, said:

Not to Dis or anything, but if your ever in a match with me I tend to pilot Jenners and Spiders (I occasionally break my own legs jumping around sometimes)... so don't spectate me if you die 1st... already had someone comment about making him want to throw-up tonight. :D

Haha! Nice! And yeah, if anything in this game has the potential to give me some trouble, piloting a Spider or Jenner or something would probably be it. I think I'll need to stick to the Commando or Raven in that particular weight class.

#17 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Theres no motion sickness because there is no head-bob.

#18 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Motion sickness isn't generally caused by motion, but by a disconnect between what the eyes are seeing and the inner ears are feeling.

View PostChavette, on 17 February 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

Theres no motion sickness because there is no head-bob.

:D

Never heard of it, but... I guess that could cause it, too.....

#19 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

It's due to the disassociation between the camera movement and lack of correlating head movement. It causes vertigo and a form of motion sickness.

My wife suffers from this terribly. Early 3D games (such as the N64 and that era) would make her physically vomit. Newer games have better camera control, of course - a lot of science goes into this, though as a player you'd never know it. But she still can't play most 3D games. Hell, in order to play Warcraft at all (she gave it a go back in it's hayday) she could only play by key turning, no mouse camera movement whatsoever. Even then, she'd get nauseous playing after a while. (I blame Warcraft, though, it makes me nauseous too, just being Warcraft)

MWO doesn't bother her at all, though, because the head position matches the camera movement well. You don't have a wildly swinging head, and there's enough cockpit shown to "ground" your sense of position (I wish I knew how to better explain that), so the turning view appears natural. The cockpit moves with steps in a head-bob fashion, but the camera view doesn't. The camera (re: torso) can be moved, but in a limited range, at a limited speed, and smoothly.

MWO's first person implementation is actually very well done for people who have these problems.

#20 bloodnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Locationwarrington Cheshire UK

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

"Soylent Green...it's what's for dinner..." lol

I like you already welcome to MW:O mechwarrior

but 1st person is my bag

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users