7 replies to this topic

#1 RoninV3

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNorth America, Terra

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:37 AM

I am in the process of finishing up my skills in the third chassis variant of the Catapult, I choose as my last an A1 model. Now I want to tell you I had no idea what I was in for. I am an old school BT player and I thought a short range fighter would be a good Idea. I moved my XL from my K2 model and improved my armor, put 6 SRM-6's on it, 6 tns of ammo, and a BAP. I thought hey this might be cool.
WOW, mistake on my part not only was hard to close to range to engage (that is a negative with short range weapons) but for some reason I had players , on my own team sometimes very angry with me.
I quickly learned what a "splatcat" was and that it was disliked. To all that have done this accidently as I did I wish you the best of luck with it.
To those of you that apparently abused the hell out of it and have caused me all this grief.. lets just say I can't wish enough crap on you and stay within the forum Code of Conduct ya wankers.

#2 Antasius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

I don't think there is a player-base on this planet with the ingrained nerd-rage that the BT/MW has. You are experiencing a bitter hatred that has it's roots deep in the first, old-school TT miniature throwers (you know those guys - the ones that chucked mech models across the room when they lost). Just rethink this and put it in a good place. - Happy hunting.

#3 Willie Sauerland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri, USA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

There is nothing wrong with a "splatcat" and is a valid build. However, it is a build which requires teamwork as you have to close within about 100 meters to be truly effective. In other words, you have to use an ECM mech to close, let the long rangers hit the enemy until the gap is closed (hiding behind a fatlass until you get to the front line), or use the cover of the terrain (harder on caustic, easier on the other maps) to close on your intended victim.

Those who complain can simply go get bent. I take a splatcat out sometimes just for the lols and I feed on the tears and hatred. Realize that if an enemy dies from your attacks then it is their lack of strategy, lack of situational awareness, or lack of skills which allowed you to close on them anyway.

Oh yes, they will blame you. They will hate you. But then again, in this society where everybody else is at fault but themselves for they are perfect in their own minds, you will be blamed and you will most certainly be hated. You will be told you have no skill, even though they will not realize how difficult it can be to close on a team who is coordinated and working well together.

Also, change out the BAP for an Artemis. And then, when you get good enough to learn the maps and learn how to use the cover, get rid of the Artemis and add some extra ammo. You'll thank me later....

By the way - I am a CBT/TT purist, but I'm not playing CBT/TT here, am I? :lol:

#4 Glory in the Highest

• WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

I'll let you in on a secret:

Spoiler

Edited by Glory, 19 February 2013 - 08:35 AM.

#5 M3atloaf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

View PostGlory, on 19 February 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

I'll let you in on a secret:

Spoiler

QFT

#6 IQwrassler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 167 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario ... hunting for kimuras ...

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostWillie Sauerland, on 18 February 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

There is nothing wrong with a "splatcat" and is a valid build. However, it is a build which requires teamwork as you have to close within about 100 meters to be truly effective.

A1 goes 83kph and has jumpjets. Every map thus far is a close range brawler (caustic has TONS of cover y'all).

A1 + 6x SRM6 is the only mech in the game that doesn't require teamwork to win a match.

The only thing preventing 2000+ dmg in an A1 is running out of ammo ... or enemies to shoot ... speaking from first and second-hand expereince, of course.

Edited by IQwrassler, 19 February 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#7 Willie Sauerland

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri, USA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostIQwrassler, on 19 February 2013 - 11:27 AM, said:

A1 goes 83kph and has jumpjets. Every map thus far is a close range brawler (caustic has TONS of cover y'all).

A1 + 6x SRM6 is the only mech in the game that doesn't require teamwork to win a match.

The only thing preventing 2000+ dmg in an A1 is running out of ammo ... or enemies to shoot ... speaking from first and second-hand expereince, of course.

1. You have been playing against scrubs. Get an 8-man together and go play in the 8-man queue for a while. You'll get some third-hand experience and will realize just how little cover there is on Caustic as well as how difficult it is to close even with jump jets... :D

2. You use jump jets on a splat pult? That's ok I guess, but I like having the extra ammo personally...

#8 armchairyoda

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 98 posts
  • LocationKaetetôã

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Everyone giving terrible advice said:

Bad words...

Wait, Wait, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, WIN (or Cap, WIN). [REDACTED], GLORIOUS [REDACTED]!

YOU ARE WELCOME AND I AM HAPPY THAT I HAVE HELPED YOU WITH YOUR ROBOTECHS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users