ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostBguk, on 20 February 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

I liked the title so clicked on the link. I now regret it. Although I now know who to go to for snappy titles.

Trew.

And funnily enough, while I still feel NARC is not quite there yet (especially for it's weight, I do agree it should act as an ECM counter, actually) TAG works beautifully to counter ECM on Alpine. Which I think is the point. Differing gear will have differing ability to work on it based on the Map. It is dead easy to find places to lase ECM mechs with TAG on the new map. So I will continue to take the patient approach, and wait as more content roles out, instead of insisting on kneejerk "balances" that later have to be fixed again. There are some items I likely would have preferred to see come in a different order (like big map and counter measures coming before ECM, or holding ECM back until they had been released), but whatever. I adapt. I survive. I still win a lot more than I lose. And even losing last night was usually in an epic slugfest that went down to the wire.

So, can't speak for anyone else, but as a guy who doesn't even run ECM, I had a lot of fun.

#42 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostCalamus, on 20 February 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

Right. It's the truth that women are fickle. I either pity your girlfriend, or I understand why you don't have one.

Actually, I had to dump my last one because she was so fickle. And the one before her.

And the one before the one before her...

You get the idea, I'm sure.

#43 Elfman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

Yep ECM needs working on and nope I never used SSRM's or LRM's apart from 2 games way back in CB to see what all the fuss was about but then again hated using misiles back in MW3 and 4.

Still think certain features of the game where more fun before the ECM patch but then again the only time I ever got killed by LRM's was due to being stupid or already badly damaged running between cover.

Seems a shame to me that they went to all the effort of having all mechs designated a target letter to allow PUGS at least some ease in comms to only to have it nearly always unusable post ECM but hey ho.

And unless they up the flight speed of NARC I personally am not going to bother trying to use them flipping things miss all the time what with firing delay and slooow speed

#44 KovarD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 473 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

View PostCalamus, on 20 February 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

What difference would it make?

Oh you are a girl!

#45 Calamus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 383 posts

View PostVassago Rain, on 20 February 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

Actually, I had to dump my last one because she was so fickle. And the one before her.

And the one before the one before her...

You get the idea, I'm sure.

There's an old saying, "Fifty million Frenchmen can't be wrong." You get the idea, I'm sure.

#46 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

View PostCattra Kell, on 20 February 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

PGI tried to do something different and tried to experiment with a new way to change the effects of ECM on the battlefield - did it not work as perfectly as intended - sure - but the fact remains that they are trying to do something about it - they are acknowledging that it is a problem.

With all due respect to a well made post - no that isn't what happened. What happened is that they introduced it, ignored the nigh-instant tidal wave of WTF, said nothing for a month whilst closing any and all threads on the matter, then said they'd look at adjustments, then didn't make any, then told us to L2P and get busy with NARC and TAG, then closed a load more threads and inexplicably refused to brook an official ECM feedback thread in the Feedback forum through four entire patches, completely ignored the now titantic amount of detailed suggestions in the suggestion forum, closed a few more threads then finally made one of the least effective weapons in the game counter ECM for four seconds.

That four seconds by the way is precisely the amount of time it takes for a mech to target, lock, open missile bay doors, lose lock and fire 30 LRM's at the nearest piece of non-flat terrain.

So in summary, no. Verbosely, hahahahahah no.

#47 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

View PostCalamus, on 20 February 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

There's an old saying, "Fifty million Frenchmen can't be wrong." You get the idea, I'm sure.

wait.....all of Vassago's girlfriends were actually French Men?!?!?!?! :)

#48 Calamus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

View PostKovarD, on 20 February 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

Oh you are a girl!

You say that like it's some sort of insult.

I guess I can understand the bitterness toward women. If I was rejected by every janitor I met I might be bitter towards janitors too.

#49 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 February 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

Trew.

And funnily enough, while I still feel NARC is not quite there yet (especially for it's weight, I do agree it should act as an ECM counter, actually) TAG works beautifully to counter ECM on Alpine. Which I think is the point.

I haven't played Alpine yet because it's fictional but the trouble with that on most maps is that the TAG is only really useful on the missile boat with LOS. This loses much of the depth of TAG on the way by making it pointless on lights.

#50 Cattra Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

View PostInertiaman, on 20 February 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

With all due respect to a well made post - no that isn't what happened. What happened is that they introduced it, ignored the nigh-instant tidal wave of WTF, said nothing for a month whilst closing any and all threads on the matter, then said they'd look at adjustments, then didn't make any, then told us to L2P and get busy with NARC and TAG, then closed a load more threads and inexplicably refused to brook an official ECM feedback thread in the Feedback forum through four entire patches, completely ignored the now titantic amount of detailed suggestions in the suggestion forum, closed a few more threads then finally made one of the least effective weapons in the game counter ECM for four seconds.

That four seconds by the way is precisely the amount of time it takes for a mech to target, lock, open missile bay doors, lose lock and fire 30 LRM's at the nearest piece of non-flat terrain.

So in summary, no. Verbosely, hahahahahah no.

None taken - feedback is always welcomed and I agree with you with some extent.

#51 KovarD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 473 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

View PostCalamus, on 20 February 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

You say that like it's some sort of insult.

I guess I can understand the bitterness toward women. If I was rejected by every janitor I met I might be bitter towards janitors too.

Im not insulting you.

Dont be bitter, babe. You started with ad hominen insulting me.

#52 MadSavage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

There's these things called gunz and lazors and OMFG THEY KILL STOMPY BOTS and THEY AREN'T AFFECTED BY ECM!

:)

#53 RANSARI

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Well, as much as I'm enjoying the controversy coming out from this over the top rant and the long ***** train of White Knights coming out of the woodwork like rats to PGI's defense, allow me a moment to put my big boy pants back on 'cause I just hate to see Inertiaman get lynched all by his lonesome self. In fact, I am quite touched that he has an educated man that can see past all my snark and fanfare rage to the actual heart of the matter.

Ahem!

[BIG BOY PANTS - ENGAGED]

First off to the NGNG guy who poked his head into the hornet's nest. Sorry, brah. Like your show, but when you guys are just about married to the hip with PGI and help stoke the PR bonfire, somebody was bound to throw your names into the roast too. ...Especially when I had a lot of faith in what was said in the last interview, only to be disappointed again that it's the same old broken number.

Now, for me personally, I will admit freely that I am just like everyone else who subscribed to the Tolkien Craven 3L bible. I exploit ECM. I don't use LRM boats or Streak Cats. I'm a Scout pilot by upbringing, started on the Commando before I saw the Darkness and fell to temptation. ...Haven't looked back since considering my K/D is nearing 2.0 and my Wins are a good 100 or so higher than my losses.

Does this make me feel less compassion for PUGs and the mountain of corpses (mostly PUGs I bet) that I have built upon to get to where I am today? No. Absolutely NOT.

Some of them might just be plain ol' jaded, salty Founders who just like to lone wolf, but I bet the majority of them are new blood. The lifeblood of any F2P is the new blood, and when those guys are getting positively murdered by a 1.5 ton piece of equipment, which is a lot like the perk Ghost from the Call of Duty's prior to Black Ops 2... I think we need to acknowledge we have a problem.

It also doesn't help that piece of equipment weights victory in your favor because you don't have to worry about indirect fire punishing you.

It hurts build diversity because now you're hoping there's a decent EWAC dropping with you so he can cover for your weakness, and if there's none? Well, the bombs should be dropping any second now, and I hear close beta LRM wars weren't a whole lot of fun.

...But then you had knockdowns so it was mostly cool, I guess.

Anyways, I'd keep going, but the behavior of some of the Founders posting in this thread and the relativist apologies of some other posters, well, rubs me the wrong way. Seriously, you guys paid money for this game. You all have a stake in its future.

I expected better. Objectivity.

What I got instead was more apologies, more pep talks, etc.

It ain't the apocalypse, but we have a duty to keep the Devs honest and on the level because the things they did in this patch? ...Meh. You can only keep fooling me with shiny new toys and a new map for so long.

[BIG BOY PANTS - DISENGAGED]

All right, guys, go back to the feeding frenzy!

Edited by RANSARI, 20 February 2013 - 08:53 AM.

#54 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

View PostCalamus, on 20 February 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

Uh-hu, and this is what we were saying.
Stop being so mad.

View PostKovarD, on 20 February 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

Im not insulting you.

Dont be bitter, babe. You started with ad hominen insulting me.

Women are fickle and very catty.

#55 Bguk

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

View PostRANSARI, on 20 February 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

[BIG BOY PANTS - NEVER EQUIPPED]

Big boys don't use the word "brah".

#56 Zynk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

NARC is a waste of space/weight.

If NARC countered ECM on the mech it was attached to for 15 sec it would have a use.

So if a D-DC was hit with a NARC it could be targeted and when 35 points damage taken it would fall off but you could not target any mech near the D-DC because they would be under the D-DC's ECM protection.

The NARC would only counter the ECM on mech it hits.

At this time NARC is not worth it as you have to waste 2 crits and 3 tons + 1ton for 6 shots so 5 tons and 5 crits (NARC + 2 Tons of ammo) for a very limited use item makes it useless at this time.

#57 PurpleNinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Which month is the 19th?

:) :lol:

#58 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

View PostZynk, on 20 February 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

NARC is a waste of space/weight.

If NARC countered ECM on the mech it was attached to for 15 sec it would have a use.

So if a D-DC was hit with a NARC it could be targeted and when 35 points damage taken it would fall off but you could not target any mech near the D-DC because they would be under the D-DC's ECM protection.

The NARC would only counter the ECM on mech it hits.

At this time NARC is not worth it as you have to waste 2 crits and 3 tons + 1ton for 6 shots so 5 tons and 5 crits (NARC + 2 Tons of ammo) for a very limited use item makes it useless at this time.

I am totally for NARC simply cutting through ECM, but the devs don't seem to want this, for whatever reason. So it's gonna be a useless piece of gear forever, like in all other mechwarrior games.

#59 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

View PostBguk, on 20 February 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

Big boys don't use the word "brah".

Five hundred and sixty-three words in his post and that's the best rebuttal you have?

View PostVassago Rain, on 20 February 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

I am totally for NARC simply cutting through ECM, but the devs don't seem to want this, for whatever reason. So it's gonna be a useless piece of gear forever, like in all other mechwarrior games.

Apart from MWLL!

http://wiki.mechlivi....php?title=NARC

#60 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

I no longer play regularly because of ECM.
It's not even close to what Guardian ECM should be and shows how little PGI understands from Battletech.

I wish the licence had gone to a more capable developer.

35 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users