36 replies to this topic

#21 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostChaosKenny, on 21 February 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

Before the Quirk I was playing my 9D mostly because of the Greater Engine and the nice speed (But I came in Love with my shotgun LBX + SRM). He was an Awesome Mech and made me Love the Centurion. I buyed an AL (1ERPPC, 1SRM4,1SRM6,2MPL, XL-260 before the Quirk) just for the fun of an PPC. Now after the Quirk I Upgraded the Engine to an XL275 Changed the MPL to ML and was able to put another DBL inside it. Now its even more fun than my 9D. Sure the 9D can still be faster but I just have an XL280 in it to mount enough weapons on it. It feels like I changed my beloved LBX with a beloved ERPPC. I Have two awesome Centurions now =D Lovin it!

I use a similar build in my AL (PPC, 2MLs and 2SRM6s w/XL275). I used to run it with an XL265 and 3MLs - but it always seemed to run just a tiny bit too hot. If you spent time spamming your PPC and then had to jump in for a close range fight, the heat meter was always a concern... So with the new quirks, I've upgraded my speed, dropped one ML (which actually boosted my DPS anyhow), and I kept my 3rd ton of SRM ammo. The XL isn't an issue at all - cause the weight it saves me is what allows me to run at 98kph with a PPC on my arm. And having a PPC on a fast chassis gives me the option to fight at range - something I try to build into all of my mechs when possible.

#22 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Took another look at my [build], and found I could stuff in a 275 and CASE by taking of 3 excess DHS(only useful on Caustic).

You really need CASE, now that MGs are an actual threat to components. (Getting legged tons with a Speed Tweaked 98 k/ph)

Edited by Stingz, 21 February 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#23 ChaosKenny

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Also the XL 275 allows you to pack one DBL without need of Slots cuz the slot for the HT is inside the engine! its a huge difference for my PPC

#24 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

One thing that helps when you run XLs is packing your side torsos. The more junk you throw in there with the 3 engine slots, the lower the probability of that being the first component to blow... Gotta make sure you pack as many of your jump jets, heat sinks, gauss ammo, etc around the engine in those side torsos and you'll survive longer.

#25 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostBanky, on 21 February 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

One thing that helps when you run XLs is packing your side torsos. The more junk you throw in there with the 3 engine slots, the lower the probability of that being the first component to blow... Gotta make sure you pack as many of your jump jets, heat sinks, gauss ammo, etc around the engine in those side torsos and you'll survive longer.

Critting the engine currently has no effect. The only way to destroy an engine currently is to destroy the location its in.

#26 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 21 February 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

Critting the engine currently has no effect. The only way to destroy an engine currently is to destroy the location its in.

Doh... forgot they'd mentioned that was the case. Still doesn't change the fact that the more you pack in, the more you have to take out to destroy the component.

#27 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

View PostBanky, on 21 February 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

Doh... forgot they'd mentioned that was the case. Still doesn't change the fact that the more you pack in, the more you have to take out to destroy the component.

True, I crit-padded my torso LRM15 with 5 jumpjets on my Trebuchet.
Just remember crit-padding the engine has no effect, save it for your weapons, especially gauss rifles.

#28 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

I've been foolin around with a std 250 (I'm saving for a bigger engine), 3 streak, 2 sm las, 1 ultra ac 5 build. It's been fun, and I think with an XL on alpine I could be very nasty at flanking.

#29 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

With the ac20 buff(s) (18 hp + rear torso damage actually transferring correctly now) and the few minor buffs to the YLW, I find that it's pretty beastmode. I already had 150k EXP in the thing but it's taken it out of "fun to play" to "pretty amazing brawler".

Also don't forget:
Pinpoint and Fast fire actually work right now
Basic is properly doubling
Weapon convergence seems to have been fixed for the ylw (anyone else see this too?)

With the ridiculously fast torso twist speed of a YLW, the AC20 buff, the turning speed, etc has been a real boon for people who already loved it, like me.

Also I've been finishing virtually every round having exhausted all 28 rounds of ammo and often times with a still operable gun arm.

Edited by Gevurah, 22 February 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#30 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Agreed. I'm occasionally running out of 4T of AC/20 ammo. I'll probably swap MLs for MPLs, and add more ammo. The Wang always was a beast, now it's a bit less fragile beast.

#31 Tharin Ward

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

So I am currently running a 9A with a std 255 ( i think). Should I try to fit the xl? I get 90-ish kph with basicly a 9D loadout, lbx, 2 ml and 3 ssrm2's. I have realized that speed= survivability when driving a cent.

#32 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:58 AM

View PostTharin Ward, on 23 February 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

So I am currently running a 9A with a std 255 ( i think). Should I try to fit the xl? I get 90-ish kph with basicly a 9D loadout, lbx, 2 ml and 3 ssrm2's. I have realized that speed= survivability when driving a cent.

Using LBX is a no, going fast enough people will start legging you(killing your survivability).

I put CASE in my -AL after swapping for a STD 275 engine. Ammo in the legs is risky when people focus it, even worse with the MG crit buff.

Edited by Stingz, 24 February 2013 - 05:59 AM.

#33 Marchant Consadine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

View PostStingz, on 24 February 2013 - 05:58 AM, said:

Using LBX is a no, going fast enough people will start legging you(killing your survivability).

I put CASE in my -AL after swapping for a STD 275 engine. Ammo in the legs is risky when people focus it, even worse with the MG crit buff.

I've found that when your puggin people don't shoot your legs unless you're light or cicada. Couldn't say about 8v8 since I don't do that currently. It's pretty safe to drop your leg armor to ~25 and put your ammo there. You'll get some accidental hits to your legs, but after about 20 matches with 300xl YLW I've yet to be legged intentionally and only once by accident (after losing ac20 and being one CT shot away from diying).

#34 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

View PostTharin Ward, on 23 February 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

I find XL engines are all about what style of fighter you are and how good you are at piloting. They make you a lot more fragile (sometimes people just get lucky and pop my side torso's), so it requires patience.

I will say I am a ton more helpful at capping with it, and on Alpine I am able to shift positions easily.

But if you are going short range with XL, you basically have to wait for engagement to happen and flank and hope they don't notice. You are also doing a lot more hit and run.

#35 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

View PostMarchant Consadine, on 24 February 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

I've found that when your puggin people don't shoot your legs unless you're light or cicada. Couldn't say about 8v8 since I don't do that currently. It's pretty safe to drop your leg armor to ~25 and put your ammo there. You'll get some accidental hits to your legs, but after about 20 matches with 300xl YLW I've yet to be legged intentionally and only once by accident (after losing ac20 and being one CT shot away from diying).

I run at a Speed Tweaked 98 k/ph(Standard engine), legging is much easier and reliable than all of my torso (twisting). Loosing my ART-10 to a CASE'd explosion isn't bad, what else to do with .5 tons extra.

Edited by Stingz, 24 February 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#36 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

I've gone back to a PPC build on my AL:

XL275
2 PPCs
2 MLs
2 SRM2s

It runs a bit hot, but I just deal with it because if you hit a light with 2 PPCs . . . in the arse . . . it will die.

And I love killing lights.

#37 Frank Olson

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:40 AM

Could you guys post some of your YLW after-quirk builds?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users