Exactly What Is Mwo?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Menace To Sobriety

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

Been doing alot of browsing around, watching videos, checking screenshots, perving forums, etc. after someone suggested I try MWO.

What I'm not quite understanding however is exactly what type of game it is.... From what I can see the game is basically a First Person Shooter? Are there skill upgrades, weapon upgrades, etc? If so... can you pick and choose what you want to upgrade? Or is it like at least one other big MMO out there where you spend 30 min creating your character... Loot something.... try it on... and loose your character's original piece of clothing/armor and it never looks the same again.

Is the game B2P? P2W? Spend what you want, when you want?

Is it strictly PVP? Can you do "missions" with friends that are part of the game? Or are any "missions" you do strictly on a RP level with team mates? (If there's even teams.....)

If someone can give me a breakdown of the basic game mechanics it would be appreciated.

Menace

#2 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:42 AM

You can't have been doing that much browsing around if you didn't even manage to get to this page: http://mwomercs.com/game

#3 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

Its just a game with a really cool forum where most of action takes place!

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

8 vs 8 match based combat.

Not quite a first person shooter and not quite a vehicle sim.

There is a high degree of customization, not so much about "upgrades" but about choosing your laodout from a list of stock.

There are skill upgrades you can buy for your mechs.

Check out the guys at No guts no Galaxy TV for some great gameplay videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature&v=dqCKtKUxAA8

Edited by Redshift2k5, 21 February 2013 - 04:47 AM.

#5 Zanathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

Some would call it a mech simulator but its more then just a sim. It really is a cross between a FPS and Mech.

There are mech upgrades (e.g. increase to brake, faster anchor turn, etc) and then there are module add ons (aka pilot skills) which allow you to add special and limited add on to your mechs (e.g. advanced zoom, 360 targeting, etc).

For mech specifics, you can purchae different weapons and customize your mech. And you can purchase as many mechs are you have mech bays so there isn't technically a limit.

So this isn't an RPG where you have an avatar that you walk around with and 'loot' things. It's purely PvP focused.

#6 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:49 AM

Most shooters are tactical, with decisions made in the short term. Point rifle at badguy's head, boom, dead. Mistakes are quick to fix.

MWO is a strategic shooter. Mechs are ponderous and slow to manoeuvre (for the most past) and require quite a bit of forethought as far as your movement and positioning are concerned. Mistakes take a long time to correct, and are often fatal.

So... MWO differs from most shooters in that your positioning and movement at least as important as your gunnery skills.

TL;DR - vanilla shooters = tactical. MWO = strategic. Maybe.

#7 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:00 AM

Closest would be World of tanks with mechs.
Instanced pvp combat with player progress through upgrades to the mech and pilot.
However there are no golden bullets or weapons that don't damage all mechs equally.
RL money buys you faster grind and cosmetic upgrades.
So in essence no P2W. Experienced players will have an edge though.
New matchmaking should give you a good match against people of similar skill after a few fights.

#8 Menace To Sobriety

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Great! Thanks for the replies.. Basically some online buddies and myself are looking for something that we can turn to when we just don't feel like "grinding missions for loot or skills". We're not real big fans of FPS games but this sounds considerably more "fun" as it's kinda vehicle-ish as well.

See ya's on the killing fields! I'll be the dead Mech laying in a pile of my own debris!

Menace

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users