Sometimes You Just Gotta Know When To Quit...

59 replies to this topic

#1 Serapth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Ever have one of those nights...

I had one, and I played too long and it's gotten worse and worse and worse. Sometimes the gaming gods dont like you and sometimes they just outright hate you.

I had a 240+ ton weight mismatch ( 7 Assaults + 1 Heavy vs 2 Assaults 1 heavy 1 med and 4 lights ).
I've had 3 or 4 8v7 matches, always against me. Twice against admitted premades ( I still insist matchmaker dealing with premades poorly results in a lot of these 8v7 games ).
I got team killed by someone for suggesting going water without ECM is stupid ( it's stupid ). First person I've ever reported by the way.
I've seen about 50% of my matches end with 4 or more teammates doing less than 100 damage. I had one where 3 mechs, two of which were assaults, did ZERO damage. I am terrified to ever use Flame, as every time I take this mech, I end up with horrid teammates thanks to elo ( it's now 3 wins, 10 losses since stats where added, even though I tend to top the leaderboard... every other mech is > .500 )
I've had two disconnects... I almost never have disconnects...

and finally,

I just got out of a match where I did 243 points of damage total before dying. To the same mech... a Commando 2D. It didn't die...

At that point I just said screw it, this game hates me tonight.

Anyone else have these nights... where it just seems like the game is out to make your life hell?

Only saving grace, I finished eliting my Trebuchet... with much much much pain.

Edited by Serapth, 06 March 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#2 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

I've had 10 losses in a row streaks...twice.

#3 Biglead

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

Sorry, just doin my part to correct your over inflated ELO's.

LoL, j/k I'm on the bottom and I have days like that twice a day.

#4 tuokaerf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

It happens man. Some nights I can't hit the side of a barn, seem to always be in the wrong spot, or attract the attention of a Raven lance in my Stalker and my teammates abandon me.

#5 Dazzar

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

Every day is like that at the moment.
- Can't hardly win a round (3 wins to 15 losses yesterday, 18/15 kdr)
(my "normal" W/L is around 60% and my "normal" kdr is 2.1)
- many disconnects on my team or 7 players v 8players ALWAYS against my team (except for one of the matches we won which was 8 v 6 to us)
- my team has no ecm - theirs has multiple or my team has multiple ecm but theirs does too,
- my team playing like it is their first match and the other team playing like 2 x groups of 4 premades.
- most matches ended with my team killing on 1 or 2 of the enemy maximum, and my whole team gets destroyed
- many people on my team doing very little damage.

ELO is broken or I too am just very, very unlucky to be on team nub nearly every round. Just can't get ANY sort of roll on at all at the moment with round after round ending in total fail.

Felt like uninstalling it myself last night as it just felt like the gaming gods were ******* on me from a great height.......and laughing their **** off at me.

Edited by Dazzar, 06 March 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#6 OuttaAmmo NoWai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 229 posts
  • LocationNot at a macbook

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

I had 12 games in a row yesterday where I was 1st in damage on my team's leaderboard and we lost.

Most of my team had less than 100 damage, etc.

What can you do, really?

This is why I hope they have a deathmatch mode with no capture point, and I hope they enable team size parameters.

All I really want to play is 4v4 deathmatch on the small maps.

#7 Nostram

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

I love the ones where you have the top match score out of everyone... and lose with all team members destroyed.

#8 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostBiglead, on 06 March 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

Sorry, just doin my part to correct your over inflated ELO's.

LoL, j/k I'm on the bottom and I have days like that twice a day.

Hehe, my 10 losses in a row streaks happened before ELO. So, maybe they will be a thing of the past.

#9 The Gunman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 220 posts
  • LocationLow Orbit

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

I'm sorry to hear that OP, I had a great night!

Had more wins than loses and above average damage done compared to my teams. No 8-0 stomps ether. most ended 8-4'ish.

#10 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

View PostThe Gunman, on 06 March 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

I'm sorry to hear that OP, I had a great night!

Had more wins than loses and above average damage done compared to my teams. No 8-0 stomps ether. most ended 8-4'ish.

Yeah, I ran into JMan5 during my spree of misery and expressed how things were going... he informed me he was having a wonderful night, a brilliant spree of games...

He can attest to my state of fun, I'm pretty sure I topped the leaderboard on the losers side in that match and we had an assault mech that again managed 0 damage. Ugh.

I think for every famine, someone out there has a feast.

#11 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Goes in spurts for me. My biggest gripe of late is when I try to play during prime time, central USA, my ISP is so crap my ping averages 350+. With the rewind thing in place now, it get super annoying as all that happens is I press "fire" then 2 seconds go by at which time I have already moved, off target, whatever, so my PPC's or AC fire off like 15 meters behind target or something. Worst of all, the game still locks up. First match tonight, pressed B, grid comes up, lock out. Went into another match like 3 later, didnt get to load screen when session lost, back to login. A match later, throttle up-black screen PC crash out.

And then it was fine for the next 12 matches. I really hope PGI stops making new code for like a month and makes the game stable before breaking it with new stuff some more.

Otherwise, bad losses are mostly team garbage. I do 400 dmg, and Fatlas LRM boat says in team chat, after 6 of us are dead "Lock target please". Yeah he got ridiculed. I wason one match where it was my one phract, a ctplt, and like 5 meds and a light, vs 4 heavy, an ecm atlas, and some lights. I did my 350 dmg, but pfft, we were so outweighed we had no chance. Got my phract stuck on a building on forest colony and got ganked in one match.

but I had some damn fun matches too tonight, some real close ones. Also likeing the rewind thing when my ping is normal, as for a change, dmg registers on lights so they have to respect getting hit in the face with 2 erppcs.

So, to summarize:
Bad ping= really bad play experience
Good ping= really fun experience
HURR DURR team=WTF is wrong with you E-tards, I lose like 4 matches in a row by megastomp.

Stick with it, your luck turns after while.

#12 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

I have had similar things happen to me. The ELO is jacking up the mech matching. Case in point, My self and two other friends were in a match that only had one Assault, an Awesome, the rest of the team was a heavy, two Lights and four Mediums. We ended up dropping against a team with SIX Assaults, 5 Stalkers, all of which had six ERLLs. Their sixth guy was an Atlas, the other two was a Dragon and a Raven 3L. Needless to say we got spanked.
There is also the inverse. This time we were a heavy team. I think it was two Assaults, two Mediums, a Light, and three Heavies. The other team had FOUR Raven 3L, Commando 2D, Cicada 3M, and the last two I think was a Medium and a Heavy. Yeah, not fun.

Is it frustrating? Yes, but I never felt the need to quit or anything like that. I just simply took a breather, got my self a cold one and came back on a few hours later.
Things would be so much better if (And this is just for starters) 1: ECM was balanced and works like its suppose to. I know PGI said its working as intended. Well, perhaps as THEY intended. Get rid of the ECMs ability to hide the mech from radar and subsequently makes them immune to LRM fire at range. ECM is not not suppose to do that unless MWO is playing by double blinded rules which is a cheesy tack on to TT, or if the ECM is paired with Stealth armor, but SA doesn't show up until later and it comes with its own draw backs. Perhaps PGI could make it so that you can target and get missile lock at range but you can't see their paper dall and weapons load out. I'd be fine with that. This leads to number 2: LRMs wouldn't need to do so much damage. Lets face it, the LRM damage buff only really hurt mechs with out ECM and thus pushed ECM use even more.
And as for number 3: the Ravens need the hit boxes on their torso looked at because they are clearly screwed up.

I win some and lose some, it doesn't bother me, but when its to issues as I have stated then its just silly. Still enjoy the game though, aggravations and all.

Edited by Coralld, 06 March 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#13 Headlessnewt

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Some days you're the one with the Artemis'd up LRM20s, a TAG and a clear line of fire... and sometimes you're the one in the crosshairs.

Hope tomorrow's better for ya bro.

#14 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

Oh wow, just had one of those nights.

Jumped by 5 lights while trying to scout, 5 matches in a row with one teammate missing, one ***** team (the scary dumb kind, not the new "haha" just started playing kind), people yelling at me telling me I'm an ***** and that's not how to play (as I go on to win the match), died with under 100 damage more times than I have in a month, etc etc

#15 Dran

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

I still struggle to understand how people do less than 100 damage in a match, it baffles me.

#16 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

Since the ELO update my days I usually go .500 in the win/loss and a 2.0 KDR. However I have my hot and cold streaks.

The worst thing about this game is where you have a team that is absolutely useless. There are a TON of bad players unfortunately. One game recently five of my seven teammates were dead within 3 minutes of starting the game. I still managed a kill as I went down in a blaze of glory, but was livid at my team for being so ineffective. And there is hardly an excuse to score under 50 points in damage ever

Edited by Hawkeye 72, 06 March 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#17 LtPoncho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

Drop on River City 9 times in a row and you start to look for ways to kill yourself...game seems broken to keep playing the same map that many times over.

New Alpine map? Seen it about 10 times it's been out.
Had to grind through River City 200 times in the process.

#18 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostDran, on 06 March 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

I still struggle to understand how people do less than 100 damage in a match, it baffles me.

That's an easy one. Wander around a corner and get instakilled by a 6 PPC Stalker from across the map. Busy capping, might not get 100 damage. Be a crack sniper, might get less than 100 and 3 kills. Be the first person to get focused fire on, might not get 100 damage.

#19 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

MM does make for the weirdest bedfellows... I mean teammates and repeat map selections.

#20 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

Yes, it happens to me too. I just try to not take it so seriously and enjoy the fun little moments, which are usually present even in a total stomp.

Look at the bright side: If you lose a bunch of matches in a row, it probably means you will go on a win streak in the near future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users