2002 replies to this topic

#101 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 21 March 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

Our target demographic has always been (in very simple non-marketing terms): the male action gamer looking for a little bit more than your average shooter. You can lump in someone who likes anything from Call of Duty to Flight Sims into that bucket.

That is a very safe answer :ph34r:

But thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

#102 Shumabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostTruckasaurus, on 21 March 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

After reading Bryan's responses I came in to post essentially this. Adding a camera mode that will potentially/probably split the community to fix movement problems of new players seems a bit odd considering there is no tutorial option in the game at all.

In fairness, there are a lot of players that would like a third person camera mode because they enjoy games with third person cameras. A game that relies as much as customization as this one inevitably needs some way for players to look at their creations in the field. Some players simply enjoy that exterior view angle.

#103 Goldfish

• PipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 30 posts
  • Locationga

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

I have a question. I don't mean it in a rude way or anything. I have been a member of the community for well over a year, I have supported this game from first few weeks it was announced. But I feel like third person would hurt the game more than expand the audience. If you want more customers introducing dynamic play like community warfare is the way to go. Because currently its just a sim, there is no way for me to enjoy playing with my friends and team members due to not a lot of people dropping in 8 mans, 4 mans are meh because you either get obliterated or destroy the other team it is never intense like 8 mans. Community warfare would draw more of a community, it would bring out more competitive players and strength the MWO as a whole, it would add things similar to the EVE community, politics, alliances,etc.

#104 Targetloc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 963 posts

View PostBryan Ekman, on 21 March 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

Our target demographic has always been (in very simple non-marketing terms): the male action gamer looking for a little bit more than your average shooter. You can lump in someone who likes anything from Call of Duty to Flight Sims into that bucket.

Why specify male?

#105 UBCslayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 233 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

I can see the benefit for expanding the player base... after all when it comes down to it the more people willing to take a shot at playing MWO the better. However,I was really hoping that PGI would keep third person out of MWO. Hopefully they restrict 3rd person view to training grounds and regular PUG matches for more casual players. As long as competitive play/community warfare is 100% first person I`ll be OK with this. If 3rd person is ever part of CW in any way, well... that will be a sad day in my opinion.

#106 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

View PostTargetloc, on 21 March 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

Why specify male?

Realism.

#107 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

View PostShumabot, on 21 March 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

I asked this a bit ago, but you might not have seen it. What is your plan to avoid playerbase fragmentation? Do you think that a full release population boom would be able to absorb the issue, keeping in mind that you're also planning on splitting up regional servers?

This is one of our largest concerns. In fact, it's one of the reasons we don't just jam in more game modes. Yes, a theoretical boom would help ease a transition, but we're not going to rely on that to solve this issue. We are still formulating a plan. I don't have a complete answer for you at this time.

#108 Targetloc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 963 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

View Postsyngyne, on 21 March 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

I can't help but feel that this is only treating the symptom, not the disease. If players are having a hard time controlling their 'Mechs, that points to an inadequacy with the new user experience, not a camera issue. I think if you really wanted to solve this problem, what's needed is a scripted tutorial mission more than anything else. I realize that requires a lot more time and resources to create, but you'll end up with better players as a result, instead of players relying on a crutch.

I vote they do a Mech2: Mercs style training mission voiced by Omid.

#109 Truckasaurus

Rookie

• 4 posts

View PostShumabot, on 21 March 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

In fairness, there are a lot of players that would like a third person camera mode because they enjoy games with third person cameras. A game that relies as much as customization as this one inevitably needs some way for players to look at their creations in the field. Some players simply enjoy that exterior view angle.

I don't doubt it, but that seems to be a bonus to a few people who enjoy the view and not the reasoning behind implementing 3rd person.

#110 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

View PostGoldfish, on 21 March 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

I have a question. I don't mean it in a rude way or anything. I have been a member of the community for well over a year, I have supported this game from first few weeks it was announced. But I feel like third person would hurt the game more than expand the audience. If you want more customers introducing dynamic play like community warfare is the way to go. Because currently its just a sim, there is no way for me to enjoy playing with my friends and team members due to not a lot of people dropping in 8 mans, 4 mans are meh because you either get obliterated or destroy the other team it is never intense like 8 mans. Community warfare would draw more of a community, it would bring out more competitive players and strength the MWO as a whole, it would add things similar to the EVE community, politics, alliances,etc.

Try not to view this as Community Warfare vs 3rd person. They don't compete for development time. We are actively working on CW right now. 3rd person has one person assigned to it... me.

#111 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

It is possible 3rd person will be made available in other regions first.[color=#CCCCCC] Typically 3rd person is more widely used outside of North America.[/color]

Uhm.. what? "Typically"?

Youre telling me that the industry that brought us games like gears of war, tomb raider etc. is less using 3rd person view then europe for example?

What kind of nonsensical statement is that?

Remind me if im wrong but wasnt it the game industry in North america that invented 3rd person?

As a hardcore MWO player that statement really doesnt sit well with me because youre suggesting (intentional or unintentional) here that everyone but "Murica" cannot be counted towards the hardcore mechwarrior crowd.

Do you have any numbers or statistics to proof that point btw? Because i think thats a load of nonsense.. the battletech community over here in europe is as strong or even stronger then in north america, specialy here in germany.

Edited by Riptor, 21 March 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#112 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 21 March 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

This is one of our largest concerns. In fact, it's one of the reasons we don't just jam in more game modes. Yes, a theoretical boom would help ease a transition, but we're not going to rely on that to solve this issue. We are still formulating a plan. I don't have a complete answer for you at this time.

Did dropship mode get delayed by population fragmentation issues? Is that is what is preventing a more comprehensive overhaul of the game modes we have now?

Edited by Shumabot, 21 March 2013 - 05:26 PM.

#113 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

I could also live with a non controllable, out of direct combat flyby cam, to show players their mech's awesomeness. But i guess that's not what you meant.

View PostShumabot, on 21 March 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

Did dropship mode get delayed by population fragmentation issues? Is that is what is preventing a more comprehensive overhaul of the game modes we have now?

Would like to know that too.

Edited by Oy of MidWorld, 21 March 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#114 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for the civilized discussion. I have to head out now for PAX East. I will try and answer some more questions here over the weekend as I can. Please keep it civil, be nice to each other, and keep the channel clear so we can work through the major issues on hand.

#115 Harabeck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

I just don't see how the segmentation this would cause is compatible with Community Warfare. Will there be 1st person clans and 3rd person clans? Separate maps to fight over? I can't seriously believe people will just refuse play for lack of 3rd person. If new players are having trouble, then you need to improve their introduction to the game, not make a change incompatible with current and planned mechanics.

#116 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostShumabot, on 21 March 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

"DropShip" mode has evolved into Lobby a new gamemode for CW. We're not ready to discuss details yet.

#117 Anastasius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 21 March 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

"DropShip" mode has evolved into Lobby a new gamemode for CW. We're not ready to discuss details yet.

Good to hear sir. I look forward to getting a look at what you guys have fleshed out for the campaign.

#118 shabowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

People who are too stupid or lazy to figure out how to control their mechs before quitting are not going to stay and spend money here because 3rd person helps them learn. It's hard to imagine anyone believing that.

I have seen people declare that they are quitting because they suck at the game and got killed, or because they don't know what Beta means and the game is too buggy for their taste. Lack of 3rd person is not why people quit.

Edited by shabowie, 21 March 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#119 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 21 March 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

That's really bad. Guess that means it'll take a long time before we get anything better than terrible basecap mode and more terrible even more bases to cap mode. Maybe i'll have to take a break. Rather ****** at the moment.

Edited by Oy of MidWorld, 21 March 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#120 Demoned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 670 posts
  • Locationi Died went to heaven, then died again now I'm in Equestria

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 21 March 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

I just wanted to thank everyone for the a civilized discussion. I have to head out now for PAX East. I will try and answer some more questions here over the weekend as I can. Please keep it civil, be nice to each other, and keep the channel clear so we can work through the major issues on hand.

i thought we were been civil ? lol

hell this is one of, if not the best damn topic i've seen in awhile and, lack off flaming is very refreshing :huh:
see what happens when some one answers questions, that people have been asking for a good while now.
it turns out, it doesn't turn into a troll war lol

and codo's to all so far for keeping it clean.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users