Concept Map Content For Pgi To Consider

76 replies to this topic

#21 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:26 AM

I'm thinking of maybe giving this a shot, but for now, just in the theoretical borders as it's Easter and I'd rather spend my time more productively during non-holiday weeks.

The general idea is a forest, most likely a bit hilly so I can add a bit of depth and most importantly, be able to use references familiar to me.

The starting points will probably be small camps with bulldozers (yep, BTech's awesome) that created the path just recently for teh mechs to come through (as the trees are most likely too big even for mechs to handle... yep, I can't let people destroy the whole map as much as I would love to do so) and cleared a small place for that ugly mining platform.
I need to decide on some great landmark, but so far it is a HPG station deep inside the forest and maybe some big hill like in this amazing picture (the one in the background).
The basic premise is that people can go through the forest roads, but those are generally too tight for more mechs and they are exposed heavily, or they can go through forest which gives them many advantages, but also slows the down heavily (be it by some terrain game mechanic, or the problem with riding though a forest with something that big).

And now to create it... later.

#22 Tice Daurus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:42 AM

View PostAdridos, on 29 March 2013 - 04:26 AM, said:

I'm thinking of maybe giving this a shot, but for now, just in the theoretical borders as it's Easter and I'd rather spend my time more productively during non-holiday weeks.

The general idea is a forest, most likely a bit hilly so I can add a bit of depth and most importantly, be able to use references familiar to me.

The starting points will probably be small camps with bulldozers (yep, BTech's awesome) that created the path just recently for teh mechs to come through (as the trees are most likely too big even for mechs to handle... yep, I can't let people destroy the whole map as much as I would love to do so) and cleared a small place for that ugly mining platform.
I need to decide on some great landmark, but so far it is a HPG station deep inside the forest and maybe some big hill like in this amazing picture (the one in the background).
The basic premise is that people can go through the forest roads, but those are generally too tight for more mechs and they are exposed heavily, or they can go through forest which gives them many advantages, but also slows the down heavily (be it by some terrain game mechanic, or the problem with riding though a forest with something that big).

And now to create it... later.

I know that I have talked to the DEV's regarding reduction of movement speeds in water and other terrain, like moving through forests, moving over rough or rocky terrain and that they are working on implementing it in the future. Along with moving through forests, you'll be able to knock trees down and make a path. Plus you'll be able to use your weapons to shoot and blast a path through the woods as well.
But that will be down the road a ways. But this does sound like a good idea for a map. I would suggest giant redwood or solid oak like trees for heavy woods and smaller trees for lighter woods.

Edited by Tice Daurus, 29 March 2013 - 04:42 AM.

#23 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

Probably redwood trees. I want to get this kind of feel:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And smaller trees aren't sufficient since something like Atlas could see above it.

One other thing I'm not sure how to get right i sthe feeling of scale. The mechs could be kilometers tall, but I'd have to give them even bigger trees. Animals are out of the picture and humans as well. HPG stations aren't exactly small, either.

#24 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:26 AM

@Adridos

What kind of content could you provide for your idea? Wich programms do you use? Are you little familar with cryengine 3 sdk?

If so i think i can maybe support you with some heightmaps and highres-textures for your terrain. For my old map's i had not the power for rendering in 8k or above since my standardprogramms render only with 1 core but i have upgraded it to prof-versions so i can render now with all cores!

#25 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:58 AM

Well you figure the tallest mech, IICR, is about 15-16 meters correct? That's about 45-50 feet tall. Trees can reach upwards to 150-200 plus feet for the redwood trees. Even smaller trees reach up about 80-100 feet for some of them.

#26 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:17 AM

View PostAllfex, on 29 March 2013 - 05:26 AM, said:

@Adridos

What kind of content could you provide for your idea? Wich programms do you use? Are you little familar with cryengine 3 sdk?

If so i think i can maybe support you with some heightmaps and highres-textures for your terrain. For my old map's i had not the power for rendering in 8k or above since my standardprogramms render only with 1 core but i have upgraded it to prof-versions so i can render now with all cores!

For now, mostly CryEngine SDK and if I get lucky and get my bro to do some 3D models for me, it will also include either Maya or 3Ds Max. (The 3Ds Max would be the best, since it is the one PGI uses, but he doesn't like it all that much).

As far as textures or heightmaps go, I would'nt be against some good ground textures that would look good in a forest.
Plus maybe some dirt textures for the roads.

View PostTice Daurus, on 29 March 2013 - 05:58 AM, said:

Well you figure the tallest mech, IICR, is about 15-16 meters correct? That's about 45-50 feet tall. Trees can reach upwards to 150-200 plus feet for the redwood trees. Even smaller trees reach up about 80-100 feet for some of them.

17.5 meters. But yes, the tress will be big enough.

As I said, the problem is finding things which aren't bigger than mechs, so I can somehow add the feel of scale which it would be heavily lacking without them.

P.S. Could you guys suggest some good size for the map? 2x2km or 4x4km? I'm personally leaning towards the 4km2 one, since it will be easier to make and a lot easier on the HW of people's PCs (which might be a problem when we acount for the massive ammont of trees that will be rendered at the same time...when you consider the MW:O has probelms even without many models.

Edited by Adridos, 29 March 2013 - 06:25 AM.

#27 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostAdridos, on 29 March 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

P.S. Could you guys suggest some good size for the map? 2x2km or 4x4km? I'm personally leaning towards the 4km2 one, since it will be easier to make and a lot easier on the HW of people's PCs (which might be a problem when we acount for the massive ammont of trees that will be rendered at the same time...when you consider the MW:O has probelms even without many models.

This is a thing i have allready writen a PM to PGI but i have not become any answers. But i have done some comparsion with PGI'S assets so i think the colony-map for example is a 2x2k on, turmaline is near to a 4k map. 1 pixel heightmap is 1 meter/square in Cryengine.

I think you know this but i cant stress this enough... dont hit the "refine terrain texture tiles" button under terrain when you dont know wich surface-texture-res you will use. You cant undo this operation!

#28 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostAllfex, on 29 March 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

This is a thing i have allready writen a PM to PGI but i have not become any answers. But i have done some comparsion with PGI'S assets so i think the colony-map for example is a 2x2k on, turmaline is near to a 4k map. 1 pixel heightmap is 1 meter/square in Cryengine.

I think you know this but i cant stress this enough... dont hit the "refine terrain texture tiles" button under terrain when you dont know wich surface-texture-res you will use. You cant undo this operation!

Allfex, I don't think you are going to get a response as to what size maps they are going to want on this. Please remember that we are doing this to show PGI that we can build maps similar to what they have now. Right now most of the small maps were 1 x 1 km for Forest or Frozen, and Tourlamane is set up to 2km x 2km being the largest right now.

I would go between this range for now to show them what you can do and try to stick with that for now. 4km squared would be too much I think.

#29 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostTice Daurus, on 29 March 2013 - 05:58 AM, said:

In theory a planet with a low gravity should yield taller trees, maybe make it a high Co2 as well.

#30 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostTice Daurus, on 29 March 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

Allfex, I don't think you are going to get a response as to what size maps they are going to want on this. Please remember that we are doing this to show PGI that we can build maps similar to what they have now. Right now most of the small maps were 1 x 1 km for Forest or Frozen, and Tourlamane is set up to 2km x 2km being the largest right now.

I would go between this range for now to show them what you can do and try to stick with that for now. 4km squared would be too much I think.

You misunderstand me i think.. have asked the devs maybe 2 weeks ago, for some hints in terrainsetting because when you put assets/mechs in a 1k map the map looks tiny. Cant discribe what i mean exactly.

Look at my other thread... the images with the atlas in is 2k... the terrain in the video is also 2k... the screen from the first page with the tower in is a 4k and you can see also the "mining-tower" that is in the outer edge.

http://mwomercs.com/...ap/page__st__20

Maybe they use a different scaling. That was my problem what i wanted to know from the devs.

#31 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostAdridos, on 28 March 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

Let's hope a few more guys hop in. Leaving the whole weight of the thread on one guy's shoulders wouldn't be ideal. Even if 3D modellers helping with assets for maps (not dropships, PGI kinda overuses those) like HPG stations, fancy gates, trains, or just simple props like rocks, electric cabels and other good things that add flavour to maps.

As far as that map goes, I have one more question.
Are you going to make it feel like an alien world or more of a terrestrial planet similar to Earth?

I think if a moving train on some tracks you can't reach above the ravine would be cool, if it could be done that it. Just a though on having a more animated backdrop.

I wouldn't mind a map with trenches or deep riverbeds that could be used by fast jumping mechs to lure pursuers to fall and become trapped/stalled. Of course, either side of the ditch would have a ramp up. This would help encourage a little more range, not to chase the squirrel (Jenner), and maybe some pop tart tactics. But these ditches could also be used to fall into to block damage too. Probably best used on a smaller map, as the trenches will make the map feel larger, provide cover, and slow progress.

Just some random ideas... if anyone wished to run with them.

#32 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Another idea is a large mine/cave system to fight in. You would have a lot of small side tunnels, and probably several large LRM worthy main large tunnels (maybe with some upturned mine carts or something for texture and cover). I could see some sniper ledges that open into the larger tunnels up high, as well as a small, simple network of other tunnels that lead back into one of the larger chambers.

I don't have programs to make any maps, and normally can come up with rough ideas and fail at trying to make them (or good at taking someone else's thought and adding concepts and ideas to it).

#33 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:17 AM

Hey,

Timuroslav posted a pic in my thread and i decided i do a very fast "quicky" on this. I think it could be good when i do some more of these "quickys" with different themes so we can discuss and put out some different ideas. Maybee someone want to paint in some ideas for better visualisation.

First one is a fast desert-themed map. There could be a old dried-out riverbeed with, from wind and water, rounded rockformations.
There could be something i have posted earlyer:

http://jamescowlin.p...00003i5Rvx9O640

Posted Image

#34 Fooooo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Obv this is all WIP. Mainly just for fun and practice.

Using only the default sdk stuff basically.

I don't really like the white rocks so will be changing those out when I make some darker ones (either just texture or whole new rocks) as they conflict a little with the large dark rocks imo.

Also all the textures on the ground have not really been done yet obv. I've painted a few little areas but have not finished anything.....as I said....WIP. B) (I'm in the middle of doing up my own grass and dirt textures btw, and will pass them on if anyone ends up liking them...... I find the default ones pretty crud.)

Spoiler

Some overhead shots of the same areas so you can see a little more of the map. This is just the section ive done a little work on btw, the map is not just that area.

Spoiler

BTW, to get the general scale of the mechs and what It will look like / feel like you can just create your own simple box objects the height of the mechs etc..... ;)

or pinch the scale examples from mwo.....(which really you shouldnt do) :)

Edited by Fooooo, 30 March 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#35 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

The new maps need lots of water to cool my 4ppc k2 :huh:

#36 The Blazer of Lasers

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationIn a peaceful meadow on terra pondering the meaning of flamers.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

needs lunar map with low gravity.

#37 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

View PostThe Blazer of Lasers, on 31 March 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

needs lunar map with low gravity.

You're free to make one... :lol:

And you probably already know that flat land with space skybox won't cut it.

#38 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

another "quicky" with an canyon theme for discussing some general layouts. Discuss! :lol:

Posted Image

#39 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostAllfex, on 31 March 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

another "quicky" with an canyon theme for discussing some general layouts. Discuss! ;)

Posted Image

Hmm looks good, all those pockets, craters and ridges would make for some cool, tense firefights.
Guys, I really want to get in on this. I have lots of free time but I'm no programmer/modeler/artist by any means. Where are you guys getting these programs? Are they pricey modeling things? Is there anything that I could use totally free and get some good results, or online YouTube lessons I could take? If someone had a list of links for downloads, YouTube vids, or the costs of these programs, that would be really great.

#40 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:24 AM

Generally, there are a few programs associated with it.

The one you want for sure is CryEngine 3 SDK, which gives you a basic generator for terrain, allows you to apply texturs, add different props and even lets you test the map from FPS perspective (sadly, not mech perspective).

Then you might want some modelling program with it if you want to create your own props. Blender is great and free, but it lacks CryEngine 3 support and requires extenive modifications to port it's models into it.

Lastly, you need some sculpting software like Worldsmachine Allfex's using. It has a trial, but that has severe limitations adn any content created in it can't be used commercially, so either you find your won sculpting sofware, or ask Allfex to help you with the heightmap.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users