Hammer Needs Your Help To Make 3050 Weekend Data Collection Weekend!

123 replies to this topic

#1 hammerreborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

Hey all, some of you might know me as Mr. Does way to much math with spreadsheets for no real reason at all for mech diversity data.

Other's know me as that guy who likes ECM and posts a lot in the ECM feedback thread.

Either way, love me, hate me, or completely indifferent, I need your help.

I want 3050 weekend to be data collection weekend, and I need your help to make it possible!

Here's what I need you to do:
Post 10 screenshots of EoR matches you have participated in this weekend (PLEASE PUT IN SPOILER TAGS). EDIT: switched to 10 only so everyone gives equal weight. If you post more than 10 screenshots only your first 10 will be used.

RULES:

1) Only take screenshots of games that you are participating in SOLO. You are allowed 1 premade drop if you really want, but dropping in premades tends to skew the results heavily.

2) Try to have screenshots of varied groups. With elo as it is sometimes you'll drop against the same team multiple times. Try to eliminate these screenshots if you notice the same people in each one.

3) If you decide to blank out or edit the people in the match, I won't consider it, due to #2

4) Have fun! Don't worry about your score or anything else. I'm only looking at the mech setups and depending on how much info I get average tonnage disparities and ECM win rates.

5) Please try not to skew the results for a personal vendetta (i.e no listing only matches that have 8 3Ls because you want to make a point).

6) 8v8 matches only. Games with disconnects are not encouraged but acceptable.

7) Assault only please!

Thank you and god speed!

Data collection will close when I say it does, either Sunday night or if this thread hits like 10 pages really really quickly, lol

A new thread tabulating the results should show up by Tuesday.

Edited by hammerreborn, 05 April 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

Completely indifferent to you personally, but curious. EoR = End of Round? You're looking to collect data on what mechs are showing up, and how the matchmaker is matching weight?

#3 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 05 April 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

Completely indifferent to you personally, but curious. EoR = End of Round? You're looking to collect data on what mechs are showing up, and how the matchmaker is matching weight?

Mainly which mechs are showing up, yes. Depending on how much information I get and how lazy I feel like being I'll try tracking ECM win rate and tonnage mismatching. And you are correct that EoR is end of round.

When the search feature on the boards stops being apparently borked I'll link to my last two data sets.

Edited by hammerreborn, 05 April 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#4 Icepick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts
  • LocationProbably at Work

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

I was under the impression we were not supposed to leave the names (other than our own) in EoR screenshots?

I like your idea, though.

Edited by Icepick, 05 April 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#5 armyof1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

I like your energy hammerreborn, but you know it's pointless right? PGI already have all the data from all matches played, and I'm pretty sure they know how often ECM tips the balance to those that have several against those that have none. But frankly they just don't care, someone high up have the hots for ECM as it is currently and won't change that unless it's over his dead body or something. I'm just trying to save you some time man, use it to play more games or whatever.

Edited by armyof1, 05 April 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#6 Vasces Diablo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationOmaha,NE

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

So by the end of the week you should have about .001% of the data that PGI is already collecting on the back end (without it being filtered through the agenda/perceptions of the players who bother to post)?

#7 HUAAAANG

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

View Postarmyof1, on 05 April 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

I like your energy hammerreborn, but you know it's pointless right? PGI already have all the data from all matches played, and I'm pretty sure they know how often ECM tips the balance to those that have several against those that have none. But frankly they just don't care, someone high up have the hots for ECM as it is currently and won't change that unless it's over his dead body or something. I'm just trying to save you some time man, use it to play more games or whatever.

Be fair to the man, if he wants to make spreadsheets for no apparent reason, let him make spreadsheets for no apparent reason. I am pretty sure he knows everything you just said.

#8 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostVasces Diablo, on 05 April 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

So by the end of the week you should have about .001% of the data that PGI is already collecting on the back end (without it being filtered through the agenda/perceptions of the players who bother to post)?

It's not for PGIs information, it's for our own. Not everything is for PGIs benefit >.>. I'm just generally curious on the waves of mechs that are used as the metagame changes (for instance, nearly 20% of mechs in december were lights compared to the 10% shortly after the pretty baby was released and netcode/hsr changes started going into effect).

I've done this twice before, but only had 2 people ever assist. Gathering 100s of rounds of data solo is hard, and I want to see how much I can get with the community pitching in.

I was under the impression we were not supposed to leave the names (other than our own) in EoR screenshots?

I like your idea, though.

It's not for shaming anyone so I don't see why it would matter. The screenshots that are usually edited are for "look how bad this guy is" and posting a screenie of some 3L doing 10 damage.

Edited by hammerreborn, 05 April 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#9 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Hammer - are you interested in only this weekend or is past data valid? I'll go through my backlog of matches (I record them neurotically) if they are of use to you.

#10 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

Sure seems like it
I will try to help you hammer

Edited by Team Leader, 05 April 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#11 Vasces Diablo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationOmaha,NE

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

My point was that you will get an incomplete/unreliable data set, that people will then try and use as "Proof".

I get that you want a better picture of what's going on, but I would be highly suspect of any result you would come up with (due to data provided to you, not your methodology).

#12 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 05 April 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

Hammer - are you interested in only this weekend or is past data valid? I'll go through my backlog of matches (I record them neurotically) if they are of use to you.

Obviously I can't prove otherwise but really want this weekends data (or at least since this latest patch) since it's the most relevent. This weekend is likely to be slightly skewed towards founders/hero mechs with the bonuses, but still includes the most recent changes with the new highlander and jagermech into effect.

View PostVasces Diablo, on 05 April 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

My point was that you will get an incomplete/unreliable data set, that people will then try and use as "Proof".

I get that you want a better picture of what's going on, but I would be highly suspect of any result you would come up with (due to data provided to you, not your methodology).

It's for fun. Though if I get even 10 screens from 50 people thats 7500 mechs counted. Still a pretty significant data set...oh lord that's going to take forever to jot down, lol. Going to be fun!

Edited by hammerreborn, 05 April 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#13 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

View Posthammerreborn, on 05 April 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Obviously I can't prove otherwise but really want this weekends data (or at least since this latest patch) since it's the most relevent. This weekend is likely to be slightly skewed towards founders/hero mechs with the bonuses, but still includes the most recent changes with the new highlander and jagermech into effect.

Ok - I'll give you whatever games I play this weekend then.

View Posthammerreborn, on 05 April 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

It's for fun. Though if I get even 10 screens from 50 people thats 7500 mechs counted. Still a pretty significant data set...oh lord that's going to take forever to jot down, lol. Going to be fun!

You sir definitely enjoy punishing yourself.

#14 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 05 April 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

Ok - I'll give you whatever games I play this weekend then.

You sir definitely enjoy punishing yourself.

Lol I find it fun. I'm sorta experiencing burnout from the game (6 hours a day every weekday can do that to anygame probably :)) and it gives me another way to enjoy it without the blood pressure going up. Though it does make my wife angry when she walks in and I'm number crunching instead of doing something productive (IT IS WIFE GET OFF MY BACK) with my time, lol. Though she gets me to number crunch her grades now occassionally because I can do it infinitely faster than she can

Edited by hammerreborn, 05 April 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#15 Icepick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts
  • LocationProbably at Work

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

View Posthammerreborn, on 05 April 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

It's not for shaming anyone so I don't see why it would matter. The screenshots that are usually edited are for "look how bad this guy is" and posting a screenie of some 3L doing 10 damage.

I don't see any problem either per se, but you should probably clear it with a Mod first. It's their clubhouse.

I'll upload a few this weekend if I find myself pugging, see how it goes.

#16 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

I'm sure this will collect completely valid data, you even put in not to put in matches due to a vendetta. I'm sure no one would do that.... :)

#17 Rigatoni

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

how do you take screen shots of EoR and post them to the forums? i do not take them so the knowledge of how to do it is not available to me.

*edit*

And BTW, i think its a good idea what your doing. the community have an independantly crunched data on current issues can either validate or invalidate what PGI says. they may be skewing the numbers or not crunching them correctly. Or they may be doing the math right, but the numbers they are crunching my be wrong. so on and so forth. Its not pointless as some of the more negative people say, it can be quite constructive.

Edited by Rigatoni, 05 April 2013 - 11:06 AM.

#18 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

View Posthammerreborn, on 05 April 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

Mainly which mechs are showing up, yes. Depending on how much information I get and how lazy I feel like being I'll try tracking ECM win rate and tonnage mismatching. And you are correct that EoR is end of round.

When the search feature on the boards stops being apparently borked I'll link to my last two data sets.

So you want to see this out of curiousity but given that you cannot control what types of SS's are actually posted, how can you take it as representative of what's happening in game? It'll still be cherrypicked by people with agendas don't you think?

Instead of a screenshot can I just tell you the map, mechs etc?

#19 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostVasces Diablo, on 05 April 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

for an accurate statistical sampling you really dont need a large portion of the total population.

for example if i grab a truely random 1000 people off the streets and ask them yes or no to a question the %'s would be withing +/-3% or so as if i had asked the entire planet.

#20 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 05 April 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

I'm sure this will collect completely valid data, you even put in not to put in matches due to a vendetta. I'm sure no one would do that.... :)

View PostLukoi, on 05 April 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

So you want to see this out of curiousity but given that you cannot control what types of SS's are actually posted, how can you take it as representative of what's happening in game? It'll still be cherrypicked by people with agendas don't you think?

Instead of a screenshot can I just tell you the map, mechs etc?

Honor system? It's also pretty obvious if someone is trying to skew the results. If 10 people post and they have ravens at 5% overall (my last data had them there), and all of a sudden one guy has 4-6 ravens per match, clearly that dude is cherry picking and I can relatively ignore it. Not to mention the more people submit (and submit honestly), the less effect the cherry pickers have as a whole.

It'll never be as good as the data I gather on my own, but at least it'll have the ability to list thousands of mechs rather than a couple hundred.

View PostRigatoni, on 05 April 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

how do you take screen shots of EoR and post them to the forums? i do not take them so the knowledge of how to do it is not available to me.

First you have to play in either full windowed or windowed mode, full screen wont work.

At the EoR screen, hit print screen.

Open Paint

Paste

Save image

Upload Image to preferred upload site

Post in here using ['spoiler']['/spoiler'] tags (without the 's) surrounding the image links (on the toolbar above the posting window there is a button to link to an image.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users