"fread Did Not Read Expected Number Of Byte From File, Only 128 Of 0 Bytes Read" (Solved), I Think

19 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow 101

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

Just lately since the last few patches I have been getting the "FRead did not read expected number of byte from file, only 128 of 0 bytes read" on the match map loading screen. Usually this occurred after I had changed my mechs weapons loadout.

I have read a few reports about this and it seemed most blamed it on a corrupt .pak file. And that re-downloading the game had solved there problem.

What I did to fix it was to copy the whole game from my C: drive to my D: drive, problem solved. I recon that the pak files are getting badly fragmented in the patching processes and doing the above de-fragments them. The game has been running fine now for a few days even after multiple mech weapon changes on multiple mechs.

I re-coppied the game files back to the C: drive (although the game was running fine with no problems on D: drive) and its still working fine.

Edited by Eblean, 11 April 2013 - 10:18 AM.

#2 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

That's probably essentially the same thing as uninstalling and reinstalling, just with copy instead, and possibly not quite as good.

#3 Shadow 101

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

Yeah but its far quicker, than re-downloading. It takes 2 minutes to move the game from one drive to another.

Maybe if you only have one drive it would be quicker to re-download. As defraging 1T hard drives can take a while (if they have got alot of stuff on them) :rolleyes:

Edited by Eblean, 11 April 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#4 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

One could Defrag the drive in question as well perhaps?

#5 Shadow 101

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 11 April 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

One could Defrag the drive in question as well perhaps?

Yes I did mention defraging on the post before, but like I said, if you have a large hard drive with 100s of gigs of files on it, a proper defrag will take hours, and I have not encountered this problem on the multiple other games (MMO's) which are constantly being patched every other week. I know this game is still in beta though.

Edited by Eblean, 11 April 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#6 Rippthrough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

I've had it on an SSD....

#7 Shadow 101

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostRippthrough, on 11 April 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

I've had it on an SSD....

I know SSD are quicker and more resilient to failure, Are you saying that because the access time is faster it should not happen on a SSD?

I see your point though, as from what I have read about SSD, fragmentation does not occur on these drives, in fact the files are spread all over the drive (from what I have read).

Edited by Eblean, 11 April 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#8 Jack Lazarus

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PostEblean, on 11 April 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

I know SSD are quicker and more resilient to failure, but SSD drives can still fragment.

Fragmentation on an SSD is negligible because data is not read sequentially from a spinning platter. The fragmentation of data that needs to be read sequentially is why de-fragmentation is important on HDDs (to reconsolidate the data so that it becomes stored in a manner that can be read sequentially as the disc spins) and not SSDs.

#9 Shadow 101

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

Well the nature of computers and the multitude of different configs and as to why a certain problem occurs on one/some peoples machines and not others is debatable. All I know is the fix I posted worked for me, leading me to believe in my case, it was not a corrupt .Pak file, it was just fragmented after being patched a few times.

And as quite a few people seem to be having this issue I thought I would post my findings.

Edited by Eblean, 11 April 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#10 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

Could also have been a bad bit of hard drive. I have run into this a couple times throughout the years. Why it can read it to copy it, but not read it to use it is a mystery to me, but I have been able to recover files this way from time to time.

#11 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostJack Lazarus, on 11 April 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Fragmentation on an SSD is negligible because data is not read sequentially from a spinning platter. The fragmentation of data that needs to be read sequentially is why de-fragmentation is important on HDDs (to reconsolidate the data so that it becomes stored in a manner that can be read sequentially as the disc spins) and not SSDs.

This is right. Seek times on an SSD are very tiny compared to a typical platter-based HDD. These HDDs have moving parts, whereas SSDs don't. And, since the whole point of defragging is to reduce seek times (or reduce the number of seeks down to just 1), the benefit doesn't carry over the same to SSDs. Add on to that the fact that the SSD NAND flash cells have a limited number of writes, running a defrag would not only have little benefit, but it would significantly shorten the life of any SSD.

Now, on to whether or not this matters in the context of MWO. The pak files are indeed becoming corrupted. It was originally believed that the patcher caused this problem, but we've seen evidence that the actual cause is the game crashing in a bad way. These reports come from users who say they scanned the pak files after their latest patch operation and found no errors, then a day or two later had a black screen crash to desktop and started getting the FRead error, after which a scan of the pak files began reporting corruption. Now, I don't know if I'd say the file is becoming "fragmented", I would instead say it is becoming "corrupted". I've gotten my hands on some of these corrupted pak files and done a binary diff that shows as little as one bit being different (the broken pak has a 1 where the working version has a 0). I would also say for sure that running a defrag wouldn't have any impact. That's because running a Windows defrag technically re-organizes the files to defragment the drive. It doesn't modify file contents to remove fragmentation, it only moves around portions of files to get them as contiguous as possible on the drive.

The proposed solution is simply to make a local backup. Not a bad idea, really, especially if this FRead problem occurs for you with any frequency. Just make sure you update your backup after patching, or else you'll have to re-apply the patches after restoring a backup. Again, if your game base is on an SSD, be careful here. Overwriting identical files is not only a waste of time, but also shortening the life of your SSD. Instead, you should try to identify the corrupted pak file(s) and just replace it (or them).

(For reference, you can scan any pak file with programs like 7-Zip or WinRAR, which have a "test archive" function).

On a final note, I'm looking for volunteers to try out my new repair tool. If anyone wants to help out (I'm looking particularly for people who have the dreaded FRead error), then drop me a PM and I'll see about getting you a version of the repair tool.

#12 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

Krist, you should have a thread for the current state of the patcher and one for the upcoming patch (and the patch after that).

When you deploy a new patcher, it takes "two major patch iterations" to notice the effects. The first time is for initial deployment (which isn't always problematic, as it could be a symptom of the previous patcher).. and second time is to see if it is actually working as intended (which you can see the after effects).

That's the best way to go IMO.

Edited by Deathlike, 11 April 2013 - 04:55 PM.

#13 Shadow 101

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

Well in my case just moving the game has fixed what ever was causing the multiple "FRead did not read expected number of byte from file, only 128 of 0 bytes read" I was getting every other few games or so. It has not happened once in four days since I did this.

But on your advice I will re-download and keep a fresh backup incase it happens again, until a fix has been implemented.

Edited by Eblean, 11 April 2013 - 11:39 PM.

#14 Tstyles

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

can we get the shaders.pak as a seperate download please? would rather download 500kb versus the full game.

#15 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Refer to this post:
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1312553

All files can be downloaded this way.

#16 Tstyles

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:08 AM

No shaders.pak in that thread...

#17 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:30 AM

I did this just for giggles and grins...

and I have been having drastically less bugs than I had before. Less missing minimap, less blinking textures...

I am surprised and amazed.

#18 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

View PostTstyles, on 15 April 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

No shaders.pak in that thread...

It's there if you follow the example download convention correctly.

#19 Tstyles

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 15 April 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

It's there if you follow the example download convention correctly.

That doesn't work, 404 error

#20 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

http://patcher.mwome...ine/Shaders.pak

This was tested before I posted this.

The proper convention:

http://patcher.mwome...roduction/live/

Then, add the path based on the MWO folder on your desktop.

MWO Folder\Game\Textures.pak

http://patcher.mwome...me/Textures.pak

Edited by Deathlike, 15 April 2013 - 11:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users