Patcher / Installer Feedback

62 replies to this topic

#41 Cest7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

I've been getting the patcher hanging on startup. Theres some invisible window called "Error" that when I close through taskmanager, the patcher magically appears.

#42 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostAnaArt, on 17 April 2013 - 06:09 AM, said:

Hey there,

for those experiencing the issue where patcher just crashes. Id there a chance you might have MWO open on another Windows account on your machine?

cheers

never for me, one user pc, it gets detects a fault, usually makes a pop-up saying "if you close the window now, your game may end up in a corrupt state" if it does'nt close right away without message.

#43 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

So I just tried to do a complete reinstall of the game because it started crashing every single game once more...

I went looking for the logs in C:\Games\MWO and couldn't find it there after completing the patch, and then being allowed into the game.

As a result I could not find the crash log, nor could I find the files for MWO anywhere on the C: drive. That is a level of Epic Fail I've not seen in 15+years of QA work..

#44 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostLugh, on 18 April 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

So I just tried to do a complete reinstall of the game because it started crashing every single game once more...

I went looking for the logs in C:\Games\MWO and couldn't find it there after completing the patch, and then being allowed into the game.

As a result I could not find the crash log, nor could I find the files for MWO anywhere on the C: drive. That is a level of Epic Fail I've not seen in 15+years of QA work..

Did you check the Program Files (x86) folder? Or just right-click the desktop shortcut and click "Open file location"?

#45 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostIlmariArtificer, on 17 April 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

I tried re-installing the .NET v.4 framework. It won't allow me to do so.
I did a repair of .NET v4.5 and MWO is still not working for me.

Should I try contacting Support?

Any help in this matter is appreciated. I seem to have this problem with a lot of games.

You need to uninstall .NET 4.0 first.. although I forget if there's a repair install option. .NET4.5 I think would take preference over .NET 4.0, and probably would have to be uninstalled first before fixing .NET 4.0.

The only other thing offhand that you may want to do after installing .NET 4.0 is with something with the command line.

http://support.micro....com/kb/2570538

On a computer that is running a 32-bit Windows operating system
%windir%\microsoft.net\framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe update /force /queue
On a computer that is running a 64-bit Windows operating system
%windir%\microsoft.net\framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe update /force /queue
%windir%\microsoft.net\framework64\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe update /force /queue

Edited by Deathlike, 18 April 2013 - 09:40 PM.

#46 Captain Greene

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostTamir Radic, on 16 April 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

The new 16.0.2013 patch 1/3 craches the launcher (8 times in a row and counting) at 30% completion without warning or error message.

This was not helpful in my case:
http://mwomercs.com/...atcher-crashes/

,as there are no ___old files and nothing about the new patch in ingame_patcher_log.txt at all.
allowing write on all files and folders doesn't help either.

Any suggestion?

Does the same for me.

#47 Captain Greene

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

Tried Net 4.5, latest  nvidia driver, reboot same crash.
Haven't been playing due to continued fread crahses, ever hopeful with new patches however.
Now can't patch. :)

Edited by Captain Greene, 20 April 2013 - 08:18 PM.

#48 Aedensin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 337 posts
  • LocationN.C. United States

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:01 AM

What happened to the repair function in the patcher? Now it just has "Set Temporary Directory."

Kinda need that function back.

#49 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostAedensin, on 24 April 2013 - 01:01 AM, said:

What happened to the repair function in the patcher? Now it just has "Set Temporary Directory." Kinda need that function back.

The version that was packaged with the patcher (erroneously) was incomplete. I've been distributing a stand-alone version of it to prove out its stability and reliability since then. If you feel you need it, please send me a PM with your reason and I'll provide you with a download link (I'm not asking you to justify it, I just need to establish what sorts of problems it actually fixes).

If you're not in any hurry, I will likely be doing a full public release of the stand-alone repair tool later this week, once I get a little more feedback from some users.

#50 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

patched now. game will not even start. i just hit play and mwo dissapears. not trace of it, notjhing running, no error..no nothing. nice moves with the patch and the forums...why do you even need us pgi ? you can play just between yourselves...

#51 Lusankya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

I'm getting the following error when starting up MWO for the first time after starting/restarting my machine:

There was an error loading the patcher carousel. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please report the problem to MWOMercs.com

But after that if I try running the game the patcher will startup just fine. Since the game runs fine after getting that initial error with the launcher should I just leave it alone or is there a way to remedy the situation?

#52 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

View PostLusankya, on 25 April 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

I'm getting the following error when starting up MWO for the first time after starting/restarting my machine:

There was an error loading the patcher carousel. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please report the problem to MWOMercs.com

But after that if I try running the game the patcher will startup just fine. Since the game runs fine after getting that initial error with the launcher should I just leave it alone or is there a way to remedy the situation?

Very curious. Well, I'd say it's not doing any damage, at least. So you can just leave it alone for now. I will look through the patcher code and see if I can find out why it's happening to you. It's likely timing out for some reason, but I don't really know what that reason may be. Do you mean immediately after restarting your machine (as in, like just seconds after logging in), or any time after a reboot (even happens 10 minutes after logging back in)?

#53 Lusankya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

I normally shut the computer down for the night and it has been happening after starting up the computer and then running the patcher. It is unusual as it just started happening after the last patch. It happenes even if I start up the computer and leave it for any length of time before running the patcher.

#54 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostLusankya, on 25 April 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

I normally shut the computer down for the night and it has been happening after starting up the computer and then running the patcher. It is unusual as it just started happening after the last patch. It happenes even if I start up the computer and leave it for any length of time before running the patcher.

Hmmm.... Ok, it sounds like the carousel is just timing out. I'm just not sure why it's timing out the first time and then succeeding the second time. At any rate, it sounds like it's more of a superficial patcher bug. I'll play around with the code a little and see if I can make it behave, but in the meantime you have nothing to worry about. Just the frustration of having to run the patcher twice after rebooting (and for that, I apologize).

#55 Lusankya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

Awesome thanks for the help guys :ph34r:.

#56 Lusankya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

Just a quick update:

I started up the patcher again and just like before I got the same problem but this time tried to find and shut down the patcher from the task manager. I was successful in doing that but once I started the patcher up again it gave me the same error again. It wants to only run properly once I try to run the patcher a second time without shutting the first one down.

#57 Sarti

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

Patcher terminated without error message. Frontend_patcher_log.txt says:

26.04.2013 09:09:34 - main - Extracting pak file Objects.pak.patch
26.04.2013 09:09:50 - main - Caught an exception from the zip, archive is likely corrupt. Adding it to the repair list...
26.04.2013 09:09:50 - main - Exception: CRC error: the file being extracted appears to be corrupted. Expected 0xE3A534BE, Actual 0x5443D1F6
26.04.2013 09:09:50 - main - Caught an exception somewhere in the patcher. Closing down...
26.04.2013 09:09:50 - main - Exception messages:
26.04.2013 09:09:50 - main - Caught exception in completePatch().
26.04.2013 09:09:50 - main - createPatchedFiles() failed during second iteration!
26.04.2013 09:09:50 - main - Caught exception in performPatchOp().
26.04.2013 09:09:50 - main - Caught an exception in applyPakPatch().
26.04.2013 09:09:50 - main - applyPakPatch() failed in traverseDirRecursive while performing patch ops.
26.04.2013 09:09:50 - main - ZipFile::E:\Games\Mechwarrior Online\MechWarrior Online\Game\Objects.pak__new appears to be corrupted. Added to the repair list.
26.04.2013 09:09:50 - main - CRC error: the file being extracted appears to be corrupted. Expected 0xE3A534BE, Actual 0x5443D1F6

Disk Space E: (Game Directory): 27.5 GB
Disk Space C: (Temp): 8.28 GB

I tried to delete the Temp Files and download the patch again but I still receive the same error.

#58 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:30 AM

Needed to install the game anew after the last two updates (graphic errors).
Win 7 64Bit.

No problems EXCPET Admin-rights !

Maybe the source of the problem is that?

As far as I see, you could also make a batch-script:
md x:\program files xx\Piranah Games\MWO
and downlad all files with the installer strait to there without admin-rights....

(ok, this is only supporter view, but the programmer is the problem part :)

The new repair tool could that way also be downloaded and check for errors.

Sorry to say, but as far as i remember, after every 2 or 3 patches I had to re-install the game, specially with the last patcher, you have changes the game path, or am I wrong?

regards

Regads

#59 Deek Blue

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:52 AM

I'm trying to reinstall the game since yesterday...
Everytime, the patcher ctd without any warning (it just dissappears), after download is complete, probably while uncompressing the game's files [EDIT: it says "preparing patch"].
I have enough space on my drive (I've check the temp location), and did a complete uninstall of the game before redownloading the patcher. I've also deleted the MWO Update folder, thinking that it may be a corrupted download issue (if the launcher is launched after ctd, it still have the file downloaded,it begins install, and crash again).
Also tried to CClean my C:/ between each attempt to reinstall...
Well, after 4 attempts, I still can't install the game.
Any clue ?

EDIT : Found the fontendpatcherlog.txt :

27-Apr-13 13:27:48 - main - Config file: D:\Program Files\MechWarrior Online\Bin32\PatchBot.cfg
27-Apr-13 13:27:48 - main - Setting null proxy to False
27-Apr-13 13:27:48 - main - Version could not be determined (likely due to a non-existent version dll). Assuming version 0.
27-Apr-13 13:27:48 - main - Local frontend version: 0
27-Apr-13 13:27:48 - main - Checking patch inventory.
27-Apr-13 13:27:48 - main - Connecting for maintenance check.
27-Apr-13 13:27:48 - main - Fetching patch inventory data..
27-Apr-13 13:27:48 - main - At version 0. Will apply ZTN patch to get fully updated.
27-Apr-13 13:27:50 - patch - Patch 1 of 1
27-Apr-13 13:27:50 - main - Fetching update from server...
27-Apr-13 13:27:50 - main - Downloading....
27-Apr-13 13:27:51 - main - Found a file of the exact same size, so skipping the download.
27-Apr-13 13:28:31 - main - Extracting patch zip...
27-Apr-13 13:29:55 - main - Download is complete, now to process the patch...
27-Apr-13 13:29:55 - main - Caught an exception somewhere in the patcher. Closing down...
27-Apr-13 13:29:55 - main - Exception messages:
27-Apr-13 13:29:55 - main - Caught exception in completePatch().
27-Apr-13 13:29:55 - main - createPatchedFiles() failed during second iteration!
27-Apr-13 13:29:55 - main - Caught exception in performDirPatchOp().
27-Apr-13 13:29:55 - main - Invalid call to getRelPath() - 'D:\Program Files\MWOUpdate\patchFiles\Bin32\' does not start with 'D:\Program Files\\MWOUpdate\patchFiles\'

Edited by Deek Blue, 27 April 2013 - 03:34 AM.

#60 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:49 AM

View PostDeek Blue, on 27 April 2013 - 02:52 AM, said:

I'm trying to reinstall the game since yesterday...
Everytime, the patcher ctd without any warning (it just dissappears), after download is complete, probably while uncompressing the game's files [EDIT: it says "preparing patch"].
I have enough space on my drive (I've check the temp location), and did a complete uninstall of the game before redownloading the patcher. I've also deleted the MWO Update folder, thinking that it may be a corrupted download issue (if the launcher is launched after ctd, it still have the file downloaded,it begins install, and crash again).
Also tried to CClean my C:/ between each attempt to reinstall...
Well, after 4 attempts, I still can't install the game.
Any clue ?

EDIT : Found the fontendpatcherlog.txt :

Same here, do this: Reinstall with the repair-tool, just quit the patcher and run the tool.

http://mwomercs.com/...public-release/

[edit]

I did a fresh install yesterday, before i started testing the repair tool, with no problems. maybe its related?
Wanted to reinstall because the repair tool didnt help with anything: http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2299169

Edited by Budor, 27 April 2013 - 09:38 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users