31 replies to this topic

#1 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

Since I've done some comparisons in recent posts, I thought I might bring them together for my first guide post. While probably not formated to be an actual guide per sé, it should be very informative. This information is in regards to the Highlander, comparing both the Heavy Metal and variants. The information is gathered in quotes of myself responding to people or upholding a promise to tell someone about a mech after I try it.

My first self-quote in response to whether or not Heavy Metal is the best jump sniper out of the Highlanders. Note that these quotes are unedited and may or may not say things completely unrelated.

View PostKoniving, on 16 April 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

Best poptart mech is the 732 (it holds gauss + 3 ER PPCs instead of Heavy Metal's 2, due to hand actuator on left arm) or the 733P with its 4 ER PPCs.

Someone needs to try using a mech before complaining about pay to win.

For information, maximum possible pop-tart worthy weapons on Heavy Metal are 1x Gauss Rifle, 2x ER PPC.

732 has 1x Gauss + 3x ER PPC.
733P has 4x ER PPC.

The only thing the HM has in advantage over the others is the two ER PPCs are mounted on the left arm. Oh, and one additional jumpjet which means you'll stay in the air longer, and thus be shot at more.

Should note I own all of the hero mechs. So far the best two I've ever used (and again, used them all) are the Pretty Baby (not as a brawler mind you, that's a bad choice) and the Muromets. I've found that the cbill variants tend to be superior with the exception of the X-5, where the cbill variants blow.

And since I promised to detail what I thought of the Highlanders when they came out. Here's what I've come up with.

View PostKoniving, on 18 April 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

As you already know I own all of the Hero mechs up to this point.^1 The Heavy Metal is capable, but has a strong weakness in that 80% of its hardpoints are in the left side. The tradeoff is that it gets energy hardpoints in the left arm and capability of extra jump jets. This also limits it a bit, due to the hand actuator in the left arm. It is not possible to use all 3 energy for PPCs, so it cannot use all of the weapons that exist for the energy side.

I now own the 733. I have only used it in a default configuration but already it has outperformed the Heavy Metal's default config considerably. There have been matches where the 733's default configuration outperforms my HM's jump-sniping loadout in terms of damage and kills. Unlike the Heavy Metal, it actually feels like an Atlas.

When faced against Highlanders, I generally find them to be much bigger threats than Atlases.

However, unlike an Atlas, disabling them is considerably easier when fighting close range.^2
  • If their main close weapons are missiles, destroy their left side.
  • If their main close weapons are ballistics or lasers, destroy their right side.
Below is a list of features I've noted about the Highlanders.
  • All Highlanders except the Heavy Metal carry energy and ballistics on the right side. Missiles are always carried on the left regardless.
  • The Highlander 733C is the only Highlander capable of carrying an AC/20 or twin UAC/5. It cannot carry twin LB/10x. This is accomplished by removing the lower arm actuator.
  • The Highlander 733C is punished for this by removing 10 degrees of motion (cutting it in half) from the arms. However, the actual mechanic should not allow the right arm to be able to rotate horizontally at all, allowing the left to pivot at the full 20 degrees of all other variants. This would have caused issues or triple crosshairs. It was done this way in the interest of simplicity.
  • Most Highlanders actually have weak legs, especially if all the weapon hardpoints are used.
  • Unlike Atlases and Stalkers who trade rear armor to the front, most Highlanders keep their rear armor beefed up.
  • All Highlanders have the engine size of 325 as their maximum. The exception is the Heavy Metal, which can carry up to an engine rating of 330.
  • The Highlander has the heaviest jump jets in the game. Each one weighs 2 tons.
  • At default speed and max jump jets, none can hurt themselves in their landing. Minimum height to damage one's self upon landing is 30 meters or a speed of 48 kph. The exception is if the landing involves colliding with a mech.
  • In time, the Highlander will be able to crush (kill) or damage mechs by jumping on them. Truth is, it can already damage them but not in the way we want.
  • The Highlander is a relative to a certain Italian plumber who is infamous for mushroom- and flower-eating, and lesser known for being an ex-carpenter. However instead of crushing turtles and walking fungus, the Highlander crushes mechs.
  • Given the Highlander's size, in a bull-rush collision knockdown (when enabled), it would mathematically win against all but the speed tweaked 310 engine stalkers, be able to contend with but not likely win or lose against the Atlas, and will always lose against the Awesome 9M or Pretty Baby due to their superior speeds. However, to compensate the Highlander is likely to cheat with a jump jet dropkick (famous from closed beta catapults) instead of a full-on bull rush / tackle.
  • The Highlander's energy weapons cannot point down far enough to hit a light mech that's within 30 meters.
  • The placement of the missile launchers in the Highlander's left arm creates a criss-cross formation of SRM 6's, giving the missiles the faint shape of a +.
  • Placement of LRM-20 in the arm, or on left torso's second slot, will place a 10-tube launcher which fires the LRM-20 in two volleys of 10, spacing out the heat at the risk of spreading out fire.
  • The Highlander's cockpit is huge, but surprisingly difficult to hit. 80% of the visible cockpit area (referring to the entire front side of the head) counts as the center torso. As opposed to 95% of the Atlas's (if you were to count the entire head as the cockpit, if only counting the window of the left eye then it's closer to 70%).
  • It is possible to hit the cockpit from above the Highlander -- to most mechs, a cockpit shot is nearly impossible from an upward angle do to them only counting in the upper brackets of the windshield's transparent metal alloy viewport.
  • The Highlander's excessively mechanical walk is clearly modelled after current high speed machinery. The walk gives the impression that the Highlander cannot side step without a torso twist, and as such could be easy to knock over from the side. Time will tell.
  • All [cbill] variants of Highlanders (which excludes the Heavy Metal) carry a superior number of missile hardpoints.
  • The Highlander's damage textures appear to be incomplete.
  • The Highlander appears to be virtually defenseless against an ECM spider.
Posted Image

Posted Image

^1 Not easy, but buying in bulk helps (you get more per dollar for buying the 50 or 99 dollar packages than you do for the 15 or 30 dollar ones. The per dollar ratio rises as you go higher up. A fairly good incentive, as essentially makes the expensive mechs cheaper even though their prices don't actually lower.
^2 If an Atlas loses one shoulder, it still has at least 50% of its firepower and at least 1 energy weapon to fight with, making it impossible to make the mech completely defenseless without destroying both sides. The K and D Atlases could still fight with CT mounted energy weapons even after losing both shoulders. In comparison, the Highlander often carries range-focused builds. Long range ballistic/ high heat energy with some streaks or SRMs. Or, lots of LRMs and close range ballistic/energy. Or some combination. Whatever the case, the Highlander is much easier to neuter by destroying the "close range" side of the mech whichever side it may be. It's like fighting a Fiddler Crab. There's always one claw designed for long range and one for close.

Edited by Koniving, 18 April 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#2 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

nice. thumbs up.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Thank you Cold Cash for the thumbs up (but no like?) and Wintersdark for the like. :P

Hope the info proves useful to people. Personally can't wait for knockdowns.

#4 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

So far, my favorites are the 732 and the Heavy Metal. The 733C isn't working that well for me.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

Thank you.

How come? And if you get lots of smaller maps, have you tried swapping the AC/20 for twin UAC-5s? Or have you done the jump-snipe rig of Gauss + ER PPCs?

I'm thinking the 733C would be the best straight-out brawler of them all. Myself I will be trying twin UAC5s, max SRM-6s, and on the side a couple of medium-pulse or large lasers.

#6 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Not sure exactly. I'm running an AC/20, 2 LLs, 3 SRM6s, and 3 JJs. Maybe I've just forgotten how to brawl.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

I know from the 733, the heat is ungodly out of the 1 SRM-6 for some reason. I think that the combo you have gone with is super heat heavy. It's the Atlas build for sure, but I'm certain the weight of the JJ's and not having 10 extra tons (to make 100 available) is a hindrance. Also remember you do not have the same armor as an Atlas, and can't aim your lasers by using the arms.

Edited by Koniving, 18 April 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#8 Warskull

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

The highlander is a very good mech. It carries the firepower of an Atlas with slightly more speed. The jump jets let it take better advantage of cover. One of the biggest annoyances with the Altas is how the low mounted arms prevent you from peeking over cover to fight.

One of the big advantages of the highlander is that its ballistic weapons are arm mounted.

The heavy metal is a poor poptart, but a decent mid range fighter.

View PostKoniving, on 18 April 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

I'm thinking the 733C would be the best straight-out brawler of them all. Myself I will be trying twin UAC5s, max SRM-6s, and on the side a couple of medium-pulse or large lasers.

AC/20 is probably better, after host state rewind it is a weapon to be feared. Highlanders with AC/20s have been some of the more dangerous opponents. If they get close they just rip out my CT before I can do enough damage.

Edited by Warskull, 18 April 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#9 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

Figure this is a good place to put these:

For the Heavy Metal, I just love this setup:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4738d2492bc500e

It can fight long or short range, has good maneuverability and the 3x arm mounted large lasers can really pinpoint the damage.

Next my Brawler:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fd4c4c5944eae07

If SRM's get buffed, the large lasers can be swapped out for mediums and streaks shifted to SRM's. The arm mounted AC 20 has excellent survivalibility as shooting arms on an assault mech is usually wasteful. The jj allow you to more easily keep the torso lasers on target.

Lastly:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0392017ffef2b04

I've been waivering between this and the 4x L Las setups. I like the ER PPC range and damage, but this build requires you to keep a closer eye on heat. This is very much still a work in progress, and I'd like to see what others are doing with it.

I like that the highlanders give you distinctive feels and are not too similar.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

To Warskull.
Perhaps. However even with jams, I can pump out anywhere between 20 and 65 damage within the time it takes the AC/20 to fire twice. So I'm more in favor of it, there is also the factor of the additional range.

To Moerg.
Interesting builds. I may try some. Not a big fan of the ER PPC and Large Laser build; seems too heat heavy for my tastes.

----------------------------------
Lordred, who takes awesome snapshots of myself and many others has a bunch of new Highlander shots here.
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2261655

Sample:
Posted Image
Shot by Lordred.

Edited by Koniving, 18 April 2013 - 09:45 PM.

#11 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

Close weapons? Most Highlanders are pop-tart snipers!

#12 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:04 AM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 19 April 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

Not me!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3b58a340438d94c

My fave brawling build, and yes I know I could use the AC-20, but I like the guass rifle.

#13 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:55 AM

View PostNRP, on 18 April 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Not sure exactly. I'm running an AC/20, 2 LLs, 3 SRM6s, and 3 JJs. Maybe I've just forgotten how to brawl.

Running the same weapons on my 733C - and it's been more of an adjustment for me than I thought... Though its working better for me now as I unlock more and more pilot skills. The 733 though? All I can say is wow. Absolutely love this mech. Been running a gauss, 2 ML, 4 SRM6 build on mine and its been nothing less than amazing. Even with the missile nerfs, the raw firepower on this thing is simply brutal. It's an easy-mode button for 500 damage rounds.

Edited by Banky, 19 April 2013 - 03:56 AM.

#14 blacklp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:55 AM

Fatlander, ******** this thing brawls hard.

#15 Warskull

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:25 AM

View PostKoniving, on 18 April 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

To Warskull.
Perhaps. However even with jams, I can pump out anywhere between 20 and 65 damage within the time it takes the AC/20 to fire twice. So I'm more in favor of it, there is also the factor of the additional range.

I can appreciate the DPS of the UAC/5, but how many of those are you going to land on the same spot? Give the AC/20 a try, post HSR it is very nasty. The AC/20 733Cs have given me far more trouble than the UAC/5 773Cs.

View PostJohnny Reb, on 19 April 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

Some variants, yes. The 732 and 733P have the hard points to jump snipe. The 733 and 733C cannot mount more firepower than a CTF-3D. They are better off leaving the jump sniping to the other variants with the bigger alphas (although they can still incorporate jump jets into their strategy.)

Edited by Warskull, 19 April 2013 - 06:28 AM.

#16 Baozi

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

Would someone mind sharing a 2xUAC5 build? Just wondering how other people tackle that one.

#17 TheFuzzyBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 446 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...01a7773be3834e0

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

View PostBaozi, on 19 April 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

Would someone mind sharing a 2xUAC5 build? Just wondering how other people tackle that one.

Lordred was devastating people with his 2xUAC5 build last night. Paired with two ECM Spiders, we'd get in close and absolutely level enemies. I'll make sure he shares his build but I believe it was an XL 300, twin UAC5, two large pulses (but he changed to large lasers for ammo and to fit the SRMs) and 3 streaks (later changed to two SRM-6s in the left torso). Rest in armor, ammo, and heat sinks. No jump jets. Surprisingly no ammo in legs, "When people go for the legs they expect to get that quick kill by an ammo explosion transferring to the center torso. I'm afraid to say they will be sadly disappointed. It's in my one torso with CASE."

#19 Arvinman

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

View PostTheFuzzyBunny, on 19 April 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

Pretty close to mine
HGN-733C

For me, 2 ton of SRM ammo is enough and DHS can be kept at minimum. With 9 ton of UAC (225 shot) you can snipe enemy at will with out fear of running out of ammo;

Edited by Arvinman, 19 April 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#20 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

@Koniving
Those screenshots are simply amazing!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users