152 replies to this topic

#1 Homeless Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:11 AM

Between the poptarts, the back-cappers on Assault, the endless light run-around on Conquest, and being evicted from my home by the moderators, I'm losing my mind.

I just want one game mode where I'm not subject to the will of a ******* oil rig - a mode that drives players towards the singular purpose of blasting the living **** out of each other.

Proposal: Have a single neutral base to fight over at the equivalent location of Theta, Kappa, or Epsilon. Or wherever. Look at how many great spots on Tourmaline never get touched.

Capturing would work identical to how it does now apart from one thing: capture speed is determined by number of 'mechs remaining (e.g., you capture 8 times as slowly with 16 players remaining as you do with only 2).

There's no ********, and there's no speed-capping - there's nothing but carnage. Want to stand on the base for an early capture? It's wide open, it will take forever, and you'll probably die the horrible, fiery death you deserve. The base in King of the Hill would be there for the sole purpose of punishing those who embrace cowardice.

Edit for Responses:
First, I'm totally okay with leaving Assault and just making a King of the Hill mode. But if there can only be two modes, capwarriors shouldn't get them both.

It's not about being unable to defend the base - it's not wanting to. Why do people that want to capture get two modes, while people that want to fight without ridiculous distractions get zero? It adds nothing to the game for a lot of people besides tedium. Some of us are simple people that just want to shoot stuff. We're being captured? Who cares? I'd rather fight until we lose and drop again.

Let me say this loud and clear for the "Defend the Base" people: I don't give a **** about winning. If winning means standing in a square instead of fighting, I don't want to win.

To opponents of adding this mode - why do you insist on keeping people like me in your gametype? I'm that last Raven that has a shot at capturing, but charges the last two enemies anyways. I'm that guy you love to ***** at for losing. Why won't you let me have my own playpen, so that you can play your "tactical" version of this game without people like me taking a dump on the rug?

I play on my clan's competitive team, so I'm well acquainted with capturing as a strategy. Capturing is a perfectly valid way to win, you need to defend your base, and I'm fine with that. When I roll with my clan, I'll stand on that square until I sink into the stand; the rest of the time, I just want to blow **** up.

Edited by Homeless Bill, 27 April 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#2 zztophat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:27 AM

If you lose a game because you focused on killing over taking/protecting the objective you have been outplayed plain and simple, the assault game mode is objective based.

There does need to be a mode that allows people to TDM and the easiest way to do that is with a timer, not an objective. This can lead to a situation where someone will try to run away to run out the clock but it does beat having to either search for a powered down mech or cap to finish a game.

#3 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:00 AM

I think there should be a "king of the hill" game mode. I do not think they should remove assault mode to do it.

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:02 AM

First off Your name is HOMELESS Bill, So being kicked out of your "home" is kinda Oxymoronic. There are multiple ways to win a match. Accept that and you will feel much better.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 24 April 2013 - 03:03 AM.

#5 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:49 AM

I agree.

I understand when people say that you should defend your base, fair enough, but I also want a mode where the only aim is to blast the living crap out of the other team.

I reckon we should swap assault out and put in 2 mode instead: King of the hill, and death match.

That should satisfy everyones needs.

#6 Crunk Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 255 posts
  • LocationJamalia

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:59 AM

I would love a team death match or king of the hill mode. The current assault mode we have is garbage.

If you enjoy capping bases, whatever. Have fun. Its mainly just for trolls to troll people.

But IMO if you want to cap bases you should go play conquest. Ive basically stopped playing the game because as bill said, its nothing but poptarts and back cappers like ZZtophat and JosephMilan who try to ruin peoples day on purpose and then screech L2P NEWB, COUNTER OUR TACTICS and QQ MORE when you complain about the horrible state the game is in.

People love to shout "But if we dont have base capping, then lights will just run away the whole match!". Thats an easy fix. Cut the match time limit for team death match down to 10 minutes.

Then since KOTH would only have a single base, keep it at 15 minutes, but have some kind of mechanic like bill said.

Capturing would work identical to how it does now apart from one thing: capture speed is determined by number of 'mechs remaining (e.g., you capture 8 times as slowly with 16 players remaining as you do with only 2).

That way if some little **** keeps running away you can just sit on the cap and win, and it prevents a team from rushing the cap right away.

#7 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:10 AM

View PostJammerben87, on 24 April 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

I agree.

I understand when people say that you should defend your base, fair enough, but I also want a mode where the only aim is to blast the living crap out of the other team.

I reckon we should swap assault out and put in 2 mode instead: King of the hill, and death match.

That should satisfy everyones needs.

I have the need to play assault

#8 Ransack

• 1,175 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:14 AM

I like your suggestion OP.

#9 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:14 AM

"For the Love of God, Remove Light Mech Relevance in Assault! I can't counter them in my slow *** short range brawler build!"

Fixed the thread title for you...

(BTW, i support a KOTH mode and a TDM mode, but the QQing over caps is entertaining...especially from a guy with "RageQuit" in his unit name...)

Edited by DeaconW, 24 April 2013 - 04:15 AM.

#10 Syllogy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:15 AM

Great Idea! Let's also remove the timer.

That way, even if it takes you 4 hours to hunt down that last dadgum ECM Spider, at least it's True Team Deathmatch.

#11 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:23 AM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 24 April 2013 - 01:11 AM, said:

I just want one game mode where I'm not subject to the will of a ******* oil rig

Proposal: Remove the bases from the spawn points, and have a single neutral base to fight over at the equivalent location of Theta, Kappa, or Epsilon. Or wherever.

capture speed is determined by number of 'mechs remaining (e.g., you capture 8 times as slowly with 16 players remaining as you do with only 2).

The base is there for the sole purpose of punishing those who embrace cowardice.

You seemed confused allow me to help. When you are capped its your fault, most people with functioning cortexes once pondering the question will come to that realization but to address your points directly:

The Oil rig has no whim, it is an inanimate object, it has no hopes, dreams, or evil plots to ruin your day... it is an oil rig. What you are subject to the whims of are the players around you and your own actions. if your opponent goes one way and you lose you can really only blame your self for not going that way to stop them.

Your proposal creates a mindless march forward an kill each other in the same place dynamic, which if 2 bases is two confusing may be what you are looking for.

Cap speed needs to remain a constant as that way it remains a viable alternative. With lights being brought into the power level we can expect them at capping and harassment are their jobs. Slowing it slightly over all is something that may be reviewed, Won't some one think of the lights!

Your last point makes no sense. The base exists as a tactical objective for people who can hold more than one concept in their brain at a time and forcing a team into a continuum of attack/defense. of course most teams don't continuum so they get capped, I say the problem is with the teams.

PGI BUFF teamwork it's clearly not working yet for a lot of people.

#12 Crunk Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 255 posts
  • LocationJamalia

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:25 AM

I love all the founders in here that make it known that all they do is back cap people, and then tell people they have to learn how to play.

You are the reason why I and many other people stopped playing the game. Its the reason why I can go to almost any video game website and ask people about MWO and they ask why I would even want to play the game. Its why I wont recommend the game to friends.

#13 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:32 AM

View PostCrunk Prime, on 24 April 2013 - 04:25 AM, said:

I love all the founders in here that make it known that all they do is back cap people, and then tell people they have to learn how to play.

You are the reason why I and many other people stopped playing the game. Its the reason why I can go to almost any video game website and ask people about MWO and they ask why I would even want to play the game. Its why I wont recommend the game to friends.

That's Racist against Founder-people!

#14 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:32 AM

You assume the golds care about MWO's rep. They don't.

As long as their rapidly shrinking little clique are catered to, they're peachy keen. Look at how they're crowing about the removal of the General Forums.

#15 qki

• 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:36 AM

No, you don't. You don't want a "fun, shoot em up game mode"

You wan't a game mode, that prevents the opposing team from doing anything unexpected, so you don't have to think about anything other than "when the game starts, walk over to point A on the map, and shoot at the enemy, who will be there".

#16 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:39 AM

I cap rush all of the time.

One of four things happens.

1) the other team ignores it, and and slaughters my team usually meaning a 0-8 loss when they finally run me down.
2) It breaks their line while the entire team sludges back to base allow my team to slaughter them
3) they ignore it and I win anyway
4) I get zerged by fast stuff and lose

Lights don't make **** for money anyway, so if I'm in a light I'm playing for the win, I really don't care if it peeves people.

#17 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:39 AM

Agent, Shillogy AND qki?

Is there a batsignal you guys are responding to?

Jakucha must have had trouble with his batcycle

Edited by Thirdstar, 24 April 2013 - 04:40 AM.

#18 Crunk Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 255 posts
  • LocationJamalia

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:40 AM

View Postqki, on 24 April 2013 - 04:36 AM, said:

No, you don't. You don't want a "fun, shoot em up game mode"

You wan't a game mode, that prevents the opposing team from doing anything unexpected, so you don't have to think about anything other than "when the game starts, walk over to point A on the map, and shoot at the enemy, who will be there".

Actually, yes, we do want a fun shoot'em up game mode.

Without a base to worry about we can go anywhere on the maps we want to go, without having to worry about our base. Maybe on Frozen City we want to go through the caves and ambush them. Maybe we want to go the long way around and come up behind them. Maybe we want to lure them over to that half sunken/frozen tanker ship and fight them in the open where theres nowherwe to hide.

Lights would even have a use as now with no bases who knows which way the enemy is heading. Why dont you send your lights out to find them, and decide if what to do next.

#19 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:40 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 24 April 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

You assume the golds care about MWO's rep. They don't.

As long as their rapidly shrinking little clique are catered to, they're peachy keen. Look at how they're crowing about the removal of the General Forums.

Yeah they pulled the GENERAL forum to shut up the nay-sayers, telling yourself anything else is foolish.

#20 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:45 AM

LOL.
I'm not a capping player for the most part. I might cap once in 20-25 matches. I am an Assault Pilot, so if I am capping, the opposition has failed badly. Very Badly!! If you get capped, you made a big mistake. Wear the shame of your tactical failure and launch again.

I have had to stop my team from pouting a few times cause we failed to get back to base to stop the cap. We didn't defend ou base we got spanked for it. Nuff said.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users