#181 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

View PostDireWolf307, on 06 June 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

And once again for the umpteenthbillion time, more weapons isn't everything in Battletech/Mechwarrior.

Size doesnt ...
*snicker*

Its how you use it

#182 StarSlayer40

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationClan Space

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

I hate the idea of 'mechs over 100 tons, sure you have no limitations really now, but those things are insane. I saw some kind of promotional video for the dark ages miniatures over 100 ton 'mech and it appeared rather absurd. One of my friends even owns the clix game thing for it.... Anyway though, if I see a 'mech over 100 tons my simple solution is, "It's time for orbital bombardment gentlemen."

#183 Aethon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostStarSlayer40, on 06 June 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

I hate the idea of 'mechs over 100 tons, sure you have no limitations really now, but those things are insane. I saw some kind of promotional video for the dark ages miniatures over 100 ton 'mech and it appeared rather absurd. One of my friends even owns the clix game thing for it.... Anyway though, if I see a 'mech over 100 tons my simple solution is, "It's time for orbital bombardment gentlemen."

Oh, everyone's a little bit Blakist sometiiiiiiiiimes.
It doesn't mean they go around comitting war criiiiiiiiimes.
Just take a quick look all around,
'cause no one's really Ares-bound.
It's a simple fact we all should faaaaaaaaaaace,
'cause everyone makes judgements...based on Blake.

*cough*

#184 Sychodemus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

View Post514yer, on 06 June 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

I like this tag on the top:

The Orca was an April Fool's joke - and a good one - (as clearly detailed in the entry that the tag refers to) just as the Hogarth is not canon.

The Omega and the Ares are indeed canon (though I am not sure the latter has any official BT record sheets.)

View PostStarSlayer40, on 06 June 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Nice plan. But warships are in very short supply post-Jihad. But I do know a guy that knows a guy whose cousin knows a guy on Regulus.

#185 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

View PostAshla Mason, on 05 June 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

I fail to see the point in a 100+ ton mech.

To cause so much butt-hurt.

View PostKittygrinder, on 06 June 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

In Dark Age there were 3 legged 100+ assault mechs. But anyone who knows anything, knows that Mechwarrior Dark Age is NOT considered to be canon.

Sorry, but it IS canon. Go look up canon on sarna, tell me what you find about novels published by Roc publishing on there, then look at who published all the Dark Age novels.

Deal with it.

Seriously I love all the hate people spew out when anyone mentions the Omega, or the Ares.

Posted Image

#186 SnakeTheFox

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostValiantSpider, on 06 June 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

There are world war two tanks that weigh more that 100 tons.
also the Landkreuzer P. 1500 Monster was a 1500 ton super-heavy tank that was proposed in [color=#000000]23 June 1942.[/color]

I don't feel like reading through the whole thread to see if someone has responded to this yet, but the P. 1500 was a fanciful design no more real than a Death Star and never left paper. If it was made, it likely would have been a colossal failure for far, far too many tactical and logistical reasons to list.

But suffice it to say, even much less massive tanks of the second world war suffered a ton of ground-pressure related failures due to their weight. The King Tiger, for example, could not cross many bridges effectively and could become bogged down even in terrain generally considered "tank safe". And this is all irrelevant anyway, as a tank has a much more evenly distributed ground pressure than a mech, because of its tracks. A Mech such as the Atlas, for example, concentrates all 100 tons of its weight on two feet. A tank such as the 75 ton King Tiger distributed this weight across a much wider area because of its tracked design.

I'm not trying to pull apart BattleTech on the grounds of realism, that'd be like bashing 40k or Star Wars over realism. But while current mech sizes are believable with a good amount of suspension of disbelief, once you start making exsessively large 100+ ton mechs, you're really stretching that farther than you should be allowed to. The nice thing about BattleTech is that in spite of its often dubious realism, is has its own set of both fluff and literal tabletop rules that tie everything together and keep things sensible, and neither fluff nor tabletop rules favor a 100+ ton design. You want massive skyscraper-sized mechs duking it out and stomping tanks to death beneath their heels, go for Games Workshop's "Epic".

Edited by SnakeTheFox, 06 June 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#187 SirDude

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

Personally, I find the Ares far more interesting and logical then the Omega.

First its 135-125 ton machine instead of a 200-105 ton ***** box.

3 legs makes more sense in context and provides a interesting bridge between bipedal and quad mechs, meaning it can move in any direction, has 360 degree torso twist, and has arms.

It has 3 operators, a gunner, pilot, and a engineer.

All of this makes the Ares feel more like a experiment in mechs exceeding 100 tons, which is what mechs exceeding 100 tons should be, if the fact that the third pilot is a engineer didn't make you realize that then nothing will.

The Omega(super-heavy class) on the other hand doesn't make any sense compared the the Ares(colossal calss), it has a weight range of 105 to 200 tons while still being bipedal!
Why are you guys hating on the ares so much? It actually makes sense! Unlike the retarded Super-heavy class Omega!

SO, I'll just leave this here...
Posted Image

#188 Xathanael

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 710 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona, USA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:41 AM

View PostGmac, on 05 June 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

Posted Image

#189 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:57 AM

View Postpurehidro, on 06 June 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

more ton=more space for rail guns and gauss rifles

not actually. When one uses more mass, one also most use more mass for structural support and power plant. And by the laws of diminishing gains, you start getting to a point where something gets more and more inefficient. If you were to actually look at the "Super" Mechs you would see that they largely are no more powerfully, actually than a 100 tonner.

#190 Dymitry

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:23 AM

View PostXathanael, on 25 July 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#191 Rorusbass

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBelow MSL

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:53 AM

This entire thread reminds me of this pic

... It also didn't exist because it's just not worth it. If you take a look at tank warfare you'll see there is a reason why we have MBT's these days... not mauses and ratte with composite armor. 28kph with virtually no other means of transportation will mean you won't even arrive at the battle until it's over, besides that you'll get assraped by a flea.

#192 Rorusbass

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBelow MSL

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:57 AM

Also;

View PostSnakeTheFox, on 06 June 2012 - 10:39 PM, said:

A Mech such as the Atlas, for example, concentrates all 100 tons of its weight on two feet.

Mostly 1 feet as you tend to raise one for the entire walking thingy.

#193 Rychard Starheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

View PostXathanael, on 25 July 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#194 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:37 AM

I think it might be cool as a game mode where one side has a huge mech that has the fire power of a hole lance and needs a lance to control it the other side need to work together to bring it down.

#195 Blowfeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 322 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:38 AM

Have to say that this Ares mech looks super bad *** :rolleyes: But holy crap 135 tons is....like... a lot.

#196 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

100+ t Mechs :) :angry: play Warhammer 40k ...what the next ? a little Death Star of 10000 legs?

#197 RuneStorm

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationPlattekill, NY

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

I would just be happy to see a 100 ton Behemoth (Stone Rhino). Just somethign about the name StoneRhino that get me going!!!!! :)

#198 Wydell

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

I could see it working as a base defense mech.

But, after 100 tons, you reach the edge of diminishing returns. Too slow, too easy of a target.

#199 Darkbeer

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostMagnusEffect, on 05 June 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

In Star Wars, were the ******* midiclorians a good idea? Was JarJar ******** a good idea? No... no they weren't.

The midiclorians wasn't so bad, but that's my opinion. JarJar however, I don't think anyone actually liked the addition of Roger Rabbit's cousin to Star Wars.

#200 Darkbeer

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

Instead of thinking about heavier mechs, wouldn't technology work to make them lighter? Now that doesn't mean smaller, just sturdier, lighter materials. So you could build an Atlas but it would weigh less.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users