For Sarah

645 replies to this topic

#541 aseth

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostLostdragon, on 26 June 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

A sensible and reasonable explanation. If you had said this yesterday morning or preferably Monday, though, you would not have had so much negativity around not meeting the announced release date.

How about a post like this concerning some other issues the community is dying to know more about?

This post itself probably had to go through many, many levels of review before they could post it.

They have to be exceedingly careful with what they say and how they say it, especially when they're dealing with charities.

#542 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

View Postaseth, on 26 June 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

This post itself probably had to go through many, many levels of review before they could post it.

They have to be exceedingly careful with what they say and how they say it, especially when they're dealing with charities.

Then they probably knew before yesterday that this wasn't going to be ready. I don't want to derail this thread or take focus away from such a worthy cause that has personally impacted me also, but there is no excuse the astounding lack of communication lately.

#543 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

View PostBLUPRNT, on 26 June 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

I would think "Get' em Good" would fit nicely on its back either across the top or down on the back of its tooshee like a bumber sticker. It would be the last thing you see as it blazes away after we drop and load at spawn.

I approve your use of tooshie.

#544 BlueSanta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 373 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Late work only gets half credit. PGI drops the ball so much they've started using it as a chair.

#545 Scout80913

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostViterbi, on 26 June 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

We’ve been overwhelmed with support for Sarah Parries, a 5 year old girl who tragically lost her life to cancer in Vancouver in May 2013. We posted a tribute to Sarah and cancer victims everywhere, which saw an outpouring of kind words from MechWarriors worldwide.

While Sarah’s family has expressed their deepest gratitude for the community’s warm wishes, we have also been empowered to create “Sarah’s Mech,” a special purchasable mech with proceeds being donated directly to the Canadian Cancer Society.

Due to the unique rules governing charity collection and donation, we have delayed the release of Sarah’s Mech briefly while we sort out the last of our paperwork. We had initially hoped to have this Mech available for purchase in June, but given that this is our first major sale for charity, we want to be absolutely certain that all proceeds are donated appropriately and to ensure that all Canadian and international policies are being respected.

Thank you for your patience while we get our ducks in a row. We’re really looking forward to raising money for a great cause and showing off this amazing Mech that will embody the spirit of Sarah Parries for years to come. Our new release date is scheduled for July.

Thanks for the info, Viterbi.

#546 Smoke Dancer

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

My condolences to the family. I think this would be a great opportunity for the community to take time to remember all those that have touched our lives and all those who have have been taken too soon. I hope Garth and co can get the family involved in selecting a colour scheme for the mech - something that Sarah would like. Also can I suggest a cockpit item such as a Sarah's star or holding a Sarah's day perhaps on her birthday so that her legacy will live on.

#547 TokinPodPilot

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

Yes, thank you for the eventual communications regarding the delay. Now, can we get confirmation of the new release date? I was thinking of doing something for the release, but it's hard to plan if the release is undetermined.

#548 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

https://www.facebook.com/sarahsprayers

Rest in peace, Sarah.

Posted Image

Edited by Maverick01, 27 June 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#549 Green Toy

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

RIP in peace little one. My sincere condolences to your family. I hope the MWO community response provides some small uplifting to your hearts.

#550 zraven7

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:49 AM

We’ve been overwhelmed with support for Sarah Parries, a 5 year old girl who tragically lost her life to cancer in Vancouver in May 2013. We posted a tribute to Sarah and cancer victims everywhere, which saw an outpouring of kind words from MechWarriors worldwide.

While Sarah’s family has expressed their deepest gratitude for the community’s warm wishes, we have also been empowered to create “Sarah’s Mech,” a special purchasable mech with proceeds being donated directly to the Canadian Cancer Society.

Due to the unique rules governing charity collection and donation, we have delayed the release of Sarah’s Mech briefly while we sort out the last of our paperwork. We had initially hoped to have this Mech available for purchase in June, but given that this is our first major sale for charity, we want to be absolutely certain that all proceeds are donated appropriately and to ensure that all Canadian and international policies are being respected.

Thank you for your patience while we get our ducks in a row. We’re really looking forward to raising money for a great cause and showing off this amazing Mech that will embody the spirit of Sarah Parries for years to come. Our new release date is scheduled for July.

Thank you, Viterbi.

#551 Blalok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 177 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 27 June 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

Man, Maverick. Not having a picture made it at least almost bearable to read this story. The kids are getting an extra random hug when I get home today...

#552 jay35

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for the update!

Looking forward to a thread like this on reddit when the time comes: http://www.reddit.co...ver_cancer_his/

#553 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostLostdragon, on 26 June 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

How about a post like this concerning some other issues the community is dying to know more about?

How sensitive.
The UI 2.0, CW issues PALES in comparison to this.... How can you even post something like this.

Edited by Saxie, 28 June 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#554 Judge Jury and Executioner

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSunny Southern California

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

I've lived half my life as a cancer patient. Nothing makes my heart hurt like hearing about a child who has died from an untreatable disease. They are robbed of the repeated chances I have been blessed with. I deeply feel for Sarah's family. I completely believe she is in God's arms, safe from things like cancer. I have seen the courage of young cancer patients many times, it humbles and touches me deeply. I am forever changed because of what I've seen and heard from young cancer patients... I know Sarah must have been the same in this one regard, kind and brave beyond words. I don't know if Sarah's family will actually see this, but I hope they know their's are not the only tears shed for Sarah and I, for one, will never forget her.

<<S>> Sarah
from a fellow Mech Warrior
Get 'em Good!
JJ

#555 sokitumi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'm very saddened and sorry this little one passed, for her and her family. A tragedy of a child passing is harder than anything i can imagine.

Ok so I'm just going to say this on p28 here, weeks after the sad event... I find it morally questionable to have the name of dead child on an imaginary video game robot made for killing things. That's so dark. If you people want to donate, then just do it. Why the need to mix a game with a RL tragedy?

#556 Calisrue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

View Postsokitumi, on 28 June 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

I'm very saddened and sorry this little one passed, for her and her family. A tragedy of a child passing is harder than anything i can imagine.

Ok so I'm just going to say this on p28 here, weeks after the sad event... I find it morally questionable to have the name of dead child on an imaginary video game robot made for killing things. That's so dark. If you people want to donate, then just do it. Why the need to mix a game with a RL tragedy?

Apparently she found some joy in playing mechwarrior. If her family feels she would have wanted something like this, why not? - I think most 5 year olds (and above) would say yes to having a character made for them in a game. having an in game memorium to her is as good as many other kinds of memorials. I could imagine years down the road somebody asking questions when they see that mech in the field and not only will it perpetuate the memory of Sarah, but possibly inspire others to donate spontaneously in the future and, perhaps "raising awareness" is the wrong term, but it may remind people of the struggles faced by children with cancer and their families.

The advent of the virtual reality memorial is interesting in that its actually more visible and more memorable than many "real world" memorials

Edited by Calisrue, 28 June 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#557 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

Well Said Calisrue,

Many Forum Posters have stated many reasons for this mech. I doubt I could list them all here.
Suffice to say they are all valid and honorable. (InMyOpinion)
If after READING the relevent posts, and there are many, you do not think it a worthy project, then do not feel obligated to join in. But I hope you will.

That is all I can think of to add to what Calisrue has stated.
3Xtr3m3

#558 Stardust Reverie

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWithin the Border of Fantasy

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostDV McKenna, on 23 May 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

And should be done with the utmost haste, while people understand the concept behind it, all purchases now and forever of this Jenner should always be donated to charity, or a limited time purchase with slightly higher cost.

I support the idea of the now and forever availability with proceeds going to charity. That way if someone buys one of these mechs years from now (if the game is still up then) money from that will still go to charity. That'll do more good and give more help in the long run than a limited release would.

#559 Ozone

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

As a father I wept when I read this initially, and wept again tonight while reading it again. My deepest thoughts and condolences to you, Jon, and to your family. The road to recovery will be hard, but together you will make it.

The following is not for you, but for the readers of this forum:

As a player of MWO, I loved the concept of a mech in Sarah's honor.
As soon as I heard that MWO was to make this mech and donate the proceeds to charity I was astounded.

See, the request of a grieving family to support research would have brought a minimal amount of support from anyone, as they had no actual link to the family, the child, or possibly any experience in their own family how horrible this situation is. They could not relate.

BUT, offer people, who play MWO, a mech as a symbol, something they can use in a game they love, well, that would bring in a lot more funding to help children like Sarah and their families.

To make this mech a special load out for this special girl, and to give it a custom paint job in her honor, would secure it as 'Sarah's Mech'.

On the field it would be stating 'I'm aware of what goes on and I'm a decent enough human being to care and donate a bit to help.'

Her story would spread in chat as people asked about the scheme, and this might spark future purchases of Sarah's Mech, donations to charity, volunteer help, or inspiration.

For some members of this community to be stating, whether directly or between the lines; 'If you give me a hero mech I'll buy it', is the equivalent of saying; 'I could care less but if you give me something really cool at a discount price I'm in'.

I will buy this mech if it has 0 hard points and minimal engine, and every once in a while I would drop with it to show I support her memory, and to show support against horrendous disease, especially amongst young children.

A child passes, a family grieves, some cry and honor, some push to take advantage.

MWO has done themselves proud. Some of the community is showing itself as insensitive and selfish at the most inappropriate time. Somehow it still surprises me.

Edited by Ozone, 30 June 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#560 Lord Mortak

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 32 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

"As a father I wept when I read this initially, and wept again tonight while reading it again...."

THE DESERT RATS APPROVE OF THIS MESSAGE

Edited by Lord Mortak, 30 June 2013 - 07:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users