426 replies to this topic

#101 jk781

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 111 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

Looks pretty decent, even if I would have preferred the Orion, but the Quickdraw is cool too!

#102 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

That's no Annihilator. Redo it! :wub:

On a serious note, I cannot imagine to be liking that mech. Sounds like another fast, underweight mech for it's class. Reading the Sarna article, it seems it also features paper-thin armor en par with some medium mechs. Sounds like that mech could be hated a lot as long as we do not have weight balancing but weight-class balancing (and not even that one works properly).
Also, I dislike humanoid mechs, but meh, that's how a lot of Battletech mechs are designed, sadly.

View PostAlistair Winter, on 05 June 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

Johnathan McLaine walked over broken glass in his Orion class heavy mech. The Steiner terrorists had taken control of the mech skyskraper, but he wasn't about to give up so easy.
"Al, are you there?" he yelled into the radio
"I'm just getting some twinkies," came the reply from the small Urban mech in police colours.
"I thought you guys only ate donuts," quipped McLaine
"They're for my wife," said Al Powell.
"Right."
"She's pregna-"
Suddenly the Steiner terrorists emerged from on top of the mech skyscraper, hosing the small Urbanmech with machine gun fire.
The radio hissed with static, and the voice of Commander Hanz Grübern spoke, with a german accent
"Do you really think you have a chance against us, Mr. Cowboy?"
In the distance, Al was reversing his Urbanmech into a ditch, taking cover from the rain of bullets.
"I'm going to count to three. There will not be a four. Give me the code," demanded Hanz.
McLaine powered up the weapon systems on his Orion battlemech and lit his cigarette.
"Yippie-ki-yay, mother[REDACTED]"

Why did you spell poor John and Hans wrong, while Al get's to keep his proper name? Change all or none of em!

Edited by Genewen, 05 June 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#103 Alex Iglesias

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMech Hangar

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

The orion wasn't intentionally pushed back, it hasn't been replaced

i just made the orthos for the quickdraw before the orthos for the orion, really thats it

#104 Tsunamisan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

looks like a giant spider

#105 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

Well, i guess we can't complain.

The master of mech art has spoken.

#106 TheMadTypist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

I'll try to ignore my Orion-delay-frustrations and give some thoughts on this Quickdraw design.

Looks pretty wide, and those side torsos seem pretty large. The elbow-shields give it some protection from the side, though, so a centurion's rotational playstyle will probably pay off, and if the center torso is concealed from the side as well as it is on the Cent then it may share the centurion's hearty disposition as well, getting down to the stick-with-legs before dropping.

Energy and missile loadout is an advantage over the dragon, as there are no ballistics eating up your tonnage. Larger engines will therefore require less sacrifice in terms of firepower, so we'll get to take better advantage of the potential engine capacities than on the dragon. Heat may become an issue, however.

Jumpjets are 'meh' in the current environment, seeing as shake is driving down the jumpsnipers. When we aren't all climbing cliffs like geckos it may become more relevant.

The variants all look really close to the same, so I fear we'll be looking at another Highlander situation where 90% of the 'mech will stay the same from variant to variant.

All in all a cross between a Dragon and a Centurion, with jumpjets. Still feels pretty niche to me, I don't see it having the adoption rate the Jag or the Cataphract did on their releases, and certainly not the meta-affecting presence the Devs are hoping for. If I had to guess, I'd say it'll be roughly as common as the Blackjack, or perhaps the Dragon.

#107 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostAlex Iglesias, on 05 June 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

i just made the orthos for the quickdraw before the orthos for the orion, really thats it

Thanks for the response, Alex.

#108 Escorpio

• Pip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 10 posts

It's sad but with the current state of the game, 2 or 3 ppc build. ¿Orion?.... 2 ppc + gauss+ 1 or 2 streak´s. I do not know why people want new mech if you will build the same.

#109 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

View PostTheMadTypist, on 05 June 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

All in all a cross between a Dragon and a Centurion, with jumpjets. Still feels pretty niche to me, I don't see it having the adoption rate the Jag or the Cataphract did on their releases, and certainly not the meta-affecting presence the Devs are hoping for. If I had to guess, I'd say it'll be roughly as common as the Blackjack, or perhaps the Dragon.

I'd say it'll probably be close to the relatively rare Dragon. The BJ is still pretty frequent, because it's a new model.

#110 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

LOL now a new excuse. I thought it was better for the meta? PGI folks please read the memo! This is why people say you guys have bad communication! Because you DO!

#111 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostAdridos, on 05 June 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

Really? Are you sure?

Posted Image

Oh look its the Woblies wanting to be Techpriests.

#112 thelasttrueborn

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDemarest, NJ

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostSir Roland MXIII, on 05 June 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

Man, that ship has sailed, and I really don't recomend swimming after it.

You might drown people, give it up...

#113 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

It looks damn good, FD. Making a Quickdraw look cool was a serious challenge. You pulled off a mean looking mech once again. I know MWO is apocryphal but seriously, FD's mechs should be added to Sarna.

#114 Warbend

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 18 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

This is a great looking mech! It's crazy how you guys come out with these redesigns from the silly 80's renditions.

#115 gjnii

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

pretty sure you can get it going fast enough to pass it off as a slowish/biggish medium.
hmmm... That makes it the Cicada of heavies! I'll take three.
Though this means I'll have to ditch my plans for either the Orion or Victor. tough call.

#116 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Waiting for Orion.

#117 Empyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 210 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Looks very nice.
SRM/Pulse laser/Jump Jet mix for me, i think.

#118 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

Thin armor aside, I have been having a lot of luck with the Black Jack 1X and this seems like it could be run in a similar fashion but heavier. Looking forward to it, but then I have loved most of the mechs so far to some degree except the dragons and trenchbuckets.

#119 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

Ok so the screwup still lies more in the hands of those who prematurely told us we were getting a mech this month that wasn't ready? That changes... well, nothing, really... they're still incompetent, but at least it's an explanation.

EDIT

View Postthelasttrueborn, on 05 June 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

You might drown people, give it up...

I was recomending people stay planted on terra firma rather than chase a dream that left harbor... if they drown in the process, I'd actually be really impressed. :P

Edited by Sir Roland MXIII, 05 June 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#120 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

Well, Alex does it AGAIN. Good grief, buddeh... your vision and technique are perfect for this franchise.

On a side note, it is quite obvious that 'the Man' is using an aim-bot. Pin-point obliteration of more than one cockpit in the same match, and I call hax.

Edited by StaggerCheck, 05 June 2013 - 02:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users