#1 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

That last patch?
For 5 days I was HAPPY.

Where a match wasn't a capture, it was almost always a 8:3 to 8:6 kill ratio one way or the other
I didn't have a single 8:0 or 8:1 match on either side
Again I was HAPPY.
My KDR fell, my W/L fell
And I was HAPPY.
Except when a certain microcephalic imbecile called me a synonym for a bundle of wood implying I was *** I didn't swear in chat once.

But now we're back to getting fracking steamroller matches.

If I had access to the server room, I smash that pile of tin into scrap.
What changed?
Did we get a big enough player base for a week while they looked at the changes?
In that case, ELO is broken, because it can't cope with the current player base size.
Did I happen to sit in the right band for a few days?
In that case ELO is broken, because it means the spread is too narrow or the score change is too large.

#2 Renthrak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

I'm not sure what the deal is with the matchmaker, but I can think of a couple ways to improve it. If you're interested, tell me what you think:

http://mwomercs.com/...eight-matching/

#3 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

I kind of agree. I think the effective problem I experience is like repeatedly transitioning between two brackets. Kind of like a pogo effect. If it's caused by there not being enough players, I don't think the bracketing would fix it either, you'd simply fall into the wider brackets too often. But this is also why I want to see graphs. I want to know what effect moving 100 to 200 points from the opposing teams ELO has. I want to know what effect going up against a 3 or 4 man group has if you're pugging. I want to know that PGI can actually balance weapons based on real data instead of saying they don't capture it all, when they must.

#4 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

Oh, here's another ******. going into the Tourmaline desert with 8 assault vs a team with 4 lights. Because of COURSE you would neglect all recon assets on a map that requires it.

#5 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

Hypothetical:
What would happen to the Elo system if a large number of people vastly increased their rank through use of a tactic than was then subsequently nerfed, leaving them in a higher Elo bracket than they deserved?

Yeah, I think it's all the ex-poptarts who got themselves to a higher Elo than they can stay at without poptarting. Every Elo level is now full of people who deserve to be there, and people who don't. Meaning it's a bit like there's no Elo since it hasn't changed to reflect the new "skill level" of players.

#6 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

Could be. Or It could have been the other way around. I had a balanced run while everything was in flux, and now that it's settled again it's lousy. But that would imply ELO is inherently flawed, and I don't think it is. BTW: Anyone know why ELO score changes couldn't be done something like Base XP (no premium, etc bonus) / 200 then -5. Cannot pass 0 (or +- 0.2 or something) from win/loss

#7 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:29 AM

10 matches 8 losses every match bar 1 of those 10 was 8:2 or worse. SOOOO MUCH FUN I think I'll go gouge my eyes out instead.

#8 Inkarnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:31 AM

porblem is premades if less player are online
more premades are on wich screws alot
of balance but sometimes it happens that our premade
just wipes the floor with all 8 of the enemy lolz

#9 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:38 AM

Here's an idea. Given I'm in an Atlas, there probably shouldn't be anything in the game that can remove my engine from the front IN ONE SALVO. And just to clarify no XL, CASE in the side torsos, NO ammo in the torsos at all.

Edited by David Sumner, 10 June 2013 - 02:46 AM.

#10 IceSerpent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostDavid Sumner, on 10 June 2013 - 01:38 AM, said:

Here's an idea. Given I'm in an Atlas, there probably shouldn't be anything in the game that can remove my engine from the front IN ONE SALVO. And just to clarify no XL, CASE in the side torsos, NO ammo in the torsos at all.

There's nothing in the game that can do that (assuming that you didn't forget to put armor on front CT). What's your point?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users