Week In Review - June 4th - 8th

29 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

Weekly Review – June 8th

Another great week comes to an end. We added the Stalker; we announced the Artemis; an amazing screenshot; Ask The Devs 5 – Answers went out; we announced a chat with Dennis de Koning; and yet another round of Closed Beta invites.

What will you ask Dennis? Will you ask about his favourite weapon; favourite meal; maybe his favourite ’Mech? Get ready, because June 13th approaches quickly!

Obviously everyone is still excited about the Closed Beta, and Open Beta approaches ever-faster. Stay tuned for more info; and we’ll see you in combat!

#2 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hey! Confirmation of an Open Beta! Looks like they WILL be letting in everyone down the line. That should be a great stress test.

I wonder if they're calling the July 17th date the "Open Beta". It wouldn't really qualify as "open" since to my knowledge the founders packs list "early access to the beta" as a perk, so it couldn't be the day that the public is allowed to join the beta. And the very fact that it's the day that only select people who've chosen to purchase a pack can join, that still qualifies more as a "Closed Beta".

Hmmm.

#3 Name140704

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

Looking great for taking my monies.

#4 ZekeTheZealot

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

another round of invites, another Pending alert. *sigh* ...I suppose i shall have to continue being patient.

As far as the closed and open beta debate, it sounds like the beta will still be "closed" for a few weeks come July 17, but will be running on the new "open beta" build. so all previous data will be purged, starting a clean slate, but access will still be limited to those who bought a founders pack, at least for a few weeks. Then the floodgates will be opened and the beta will be wonderfully, blissfully "open"

#5 kiyoshi

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTulare, CA

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

From what I recall of the Founders pack, it gave "Early Access" on July 17th, and from what I've read on the forums, there will be no more resets after July 17th.

From that, you'd have to guess that the open beta is somewhere between now and then - best guess would be that open beta starts the week after Father's Day, runs for a week to 2 weeks, and then they put their final polish on before Founder Launch.

#6 Xaxius Colnier

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 08 June 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

Open Beta approaches ever-faster.

this implies that the rate at which we aproach the beta is accelerating meaning that it is not a constant +1/-1 ratio for days pased/days left. if this is the case awsome! means we get in even earlier. however i doubt this is the case. i believe you intended somthin along the lines of "and Open Beta draws ever-closer."

just trying to clarify

Edited by Xaxius Colnier, 08 June 2012 - 09:56 AM.

#7 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

View PostAegis Kleais, on 08 June 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

Hey! Confirmation of an Open Beta! Looks like they WILL be letting in everyone down the line. That should be a great stress test.

I wonder if they're calling the July 17th date the "Open Beta". It wouldn't really qualify as "open" since to my knowledge the founders packs list "early access to the beta" as a perk, so it couldn't be the day that the public is allowed to join the beta. And the very fact that it's the day that only select people who've chosen to purchase a pack can join, that still qualifies more as a "Closed Beta".

Hmmm.

I would guess July 31st to be Open Beta, maybe August 1st. Gives the founders two weeks in the beta as their early access. I am guessing that it would be a closed portion of open beta, which makes no sense I know, but most open Beta's would get reset before it goes open, so access for a closed beta and access to the inception mechs would mean it got wiped, so I am guessing it will be early access to what would be the open beta? HA I think i just confused myself.

#8 TheFreeman

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWhere you least expect me.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

2 words: OPEN. BETA.

#9 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

Hmmm.

Open BETA will start July 18th. :lol:

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 08 June 2012 - 10:05 AM.

#10 Red Duck

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationHilton's Head Island, swimming in your C-Bills

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

So it is the 17th for the Founders buyers, and beginning of August for the rest of us? Guess I'll just have to wait until then, as I am really starting to doubt that this "pending" button will ever say "accepted".

#11 Kartr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 560 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

Hmmm.

It seems that instead of calling July 17th early access and a few days later the actual release, they're calling it Closed Beta and Open Beta. So while the reality is that the game is going live, they're going to call it beta and pretend it isn't a live game.

View PostZekeTheZealot, on 08 June 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

another round of invites, another Pending alert. *sigh* ...I suppose i shall have to continue being patient.

As far as the closed and open beta debate, it sounds like the beta will still be "closed" for a few weeks come July 17, but will be running on the new "open beta" build. so all previous data will be purged, starting a clean slate, but access will still be limited to those who bought a founders pack, at least for a few weeks. Then the floodgates will be opened and the beta will be wonderfully, blissfully "open"

Yes its rather annoying in my opinion, rather than coming out and releasing the game, they're calling early access and launch, closed and open beta. Just call it what it is! July 17th is Early Access, July 20th or 23rd is Launch Day, stop faffing about with this closed/open beta nonsense.

View PostCoffiNail, on 08 June 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

I would guess July 31st to be Open Beta, maybe August 1st. Gives the founders two weeks in the beta as their early access. I am guessing that it would be a closed portion of open beta, which makes no sense I know, but most open Beta's would get reset before it goes open, so access for a closed beta and access to the inception mechs would mean it got wiped, so I am guessing it will be early access to what would be the open beta? HA I think i just confused myself.

Well July 17th is a Tuesday so I rather expect them to either launch the 20th which is Friday, in order to get the weekend players going. Or for them to launch on the 23rd which is a Monday so that they can give the Founders a weekend and avoid having to work through the weekend doing launch related troubleshooting.

Yes everyone is getting confused because PGI seems to be misusing the terms closed/open beta to drive up interest instead of calling it what it really is. In reality July 17th is early access to the live servers running the launch build not a closed beta that will get wiped after testing is done. Open beta is the game going live, but with the hype of being "beta" instead of the expectations of a launch.

#12 Iron Horse

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationIjima, Xinyang; Benjamin Military District, DC (IRL: Inglewood, CA)

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

"Will you ask about his favourite weapon; favourite meal; maybe his favourite ’Mech?"

Please, please, pretty please with a candy apple on top, don't use Queen's English in the final game, devs. Just a personal pet peeve of mine. I know its a minor gripe, but still...

#13 Iron Horse

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationIjima, Xinyang; Benjamin Military District, DC (IRL: Inglewood, CA)

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

View Postkiyoshi, on 08 June 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

From what I recall of the Founders pack, it gave "Early Access" on July 17th, and from what I've read on the forums, there will be no more resets after July 17th.

From that, you'd have to guess that the open beta is somewhere between now and then - best guess would be that open beta starts the week after Father's Day, runs for a week to 2 weeks, and then they put their final polish on before Founder Launch.

One good thing about the F2P model is that there's really no such thing as, "final polish." (I used to QA F2P games professionally.) I think I get your meaning here though.

#14 ZekeTheZealot

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

View PostIron Horse, on 08 June 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

"Will you ask about his favourite weapon; favourite meal; maybe his favourite ’Mech?"

Please, please, pretty please with a candy apple on top, don't use Queen's English in the final game, devs. Just a personal pet peeve of mine. I know its a minor gripe, but still...

Well, they are in Vancouver, which uses the Queen's English. They're only using the spelling as they are used to it. Nothing wrong with that, i think.

#15 pesco

• 1,008 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

To all those confused: Fear not! You can just ignore everything beta-related until they announce release. Problem solved. \o/

#16 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:40 PM

View PostXaxius Colnier, on 08 June 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

this implies that the rate at which we aproach the beta is accelerating meaning that it is not a constant +1/-1 ratio for days pased/days left. if this is the case awsome! means we get in even earlier. however i doubt this is the case. i believe you intended somthin along the lines of "and Open Beta draws ever-closer." just trying to clarify

Not from this end. :)

#17 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

For all we know the July 17th "Founder's Beta" could last a mere week or significantly more before the Open Beta. The value of "early access" will pretty much equate to just how much time before the open Beta that the Founders can play for.

Too little and they feel ripped off; too long and you don't progress the game's development towards Gold.

#18 DigitalPanther

• Pip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Will we see any clan mechs in the game?
As a future add on? I am thinking specifically the Thor, Loki and Marauder IIc. Vulture and MadCat are cool as well. Clan tech would be an awesome addition.
my .02
-DP

#19 Kartr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 560 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostDigitalPanther, on 08 June 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

Will we see any clan mechs in the game?
As a future add on? I am thinking specifically the Thor, Loki and Marauder IIc. Vulture and MadCat are cool as well. Clan tech would be an awesome addition.
my .02
-DP

/sigh this is 3049, the Clans maybe in the periphery by now, but the invasion of the Inner Sphere doesn't really kick off till next year. So the first major "expansion" to the game in a years time, will probably be something to do with the Clan invasion. Until the arrival of the "Munchkins from beyond the Periphery!" just enjoy playing the well balanced pre-Invasion Inner Sphere tech.

#20 Leopo

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

what happens on June 13th????

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users