Can We Get A Comment From Pgi Regarding Ping Spike, No-Reg And Hsr No Longer Working?

53 replies to this topic

#1 Valore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:42 AM

So, a lot of us seem to be having similar problems.

http://mwomercs.com/...rse-last-patch/
http://mwomercs.com/...hts-impossible/
http://mwomercs.com/...thought-or-two/
http://mwomercs.com/...ot-registering/
http://mwomercs.com/...-hit-detection/
http://mwomercs.com/...se-after-patch/
http://mwomercs.com/...ng-as-intended/

Things were great after PGI introduced HSR, which basically ensured that people with higher ping could hit targets without any issues, first with lasers, then with ballistics.

Unfortunately about 2 patches ago, in an attempt to fix problems some people were having with packets, they instead proceeded to break something, which screwed around with people's ping. Suspicion is that it increased ping by a percentage.

So if you had good ping to the PGI servers, say around 50, you'd see an increase to around 75. If you were unfortunate to be somewhere like Australia, your ping would go from maybe 300 to 400 - 500.

This was annoying, but still workable, because HSR simply compensated for it. You'd lag in terms of acquiring targets and typing in chat, but your shooting would still be accurate.

PGI said this would be fixed in the June 4th patch, which would also introduce HSR for missiles.

Unfortunately, the patch did the exact opposite, and broke something even more badly. Now hits don't register at all at random, while HSR seems to have completely gone out the window.

We've still yet to receive any feedback or comments from PGI concerning this, which is absolutely crap because while this is happening, its an absolute drag to play the bloody game, and people have premium time ticking away and nothing but frustration to show for it.

Can we get some sort of statement from PGI concerning this? Its hard to care about balance and whatnot when we can't even accurately gauge our damage numbers.

Edited by Valore, 13 June 2013 - 03:04 AM.

#2 arkani

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:14 AM

second this.
an official comunication would be good.

#3 Jeye

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:47 AM

The netcode is the worst it's ever been, or more exactly the netcode is the most frustrating it's ever been. It's ruining my game to the point where I have only played 3 hours in the last week.

#4 DLFReporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationAlpenfestung

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:49 AM

You guys should add, where you're from.
I'm connecting from Germany and haven't had any problems yet.

#5 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:50 AM

THIRDED.

Lasers seem borked to me, especially against fast movers. I've had to fall back upon pre-HSR Australian lead off charts, firing 20m in front of my invincible foes.

Ballistics seem good (except AC20's, wierd hit registration there).

#6 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:06 AM

+1

#7 Tiger 6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

PPC hit detection seems to be an issue for me - lost count of the number of times that I have landed a 4 PPC alpha to somebodies CT and done no damage. Its not a location or lag issue - as an example:

I had a dead US based team mate riding along one match:

- I hit the enemy CT on my screen (cross hairs went red to confirm this).

- He saw me hit the enemy CT (the "ghost rider" sees the server's version of events, so I must have hit...!)

- No damage to the enemy mech's paper doll.

I have arm lock turned on, so that should have been 40 points to the some part of the torso at least?

So, I fire a second time - similar range, relative speeds etc. Now I hit, and the paper doll says red torso armour.

Either:

1) If I shot at the same spot on the target twice, I should have missed twice if it was a lag shooting issue?

2) A remote viewer 'should' be seeing the server's version of events - so why no damage with the first shot when my friend could clearly see the PPC's land on target?

3) If it was a paper doll update issue only, I should have all but cored the enemy mech with that second shot (I think it was a Jaeger - 80 point's should have about flattened him?)

Something ain't right here...

#8 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:19 AM

Unfortunately, we will most likely not see a response on this even with all of us stating that there is so much wrong.

They avoid their problems, didn't ya know? :)

#9 Kai OnoHonu

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationColorado/Hawaii

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

It would be nice to get some official comment, just to be kept in the loop. I agree that it seems like percentage gain the higher your base ping is. I'm ~650 normal (satellite in Colorado), now at a steady in-match ~1600. Fps is still fine, but I did just have a 0 damage match with a good couple of 180m standing PPC shots to a still Atlas yesterday. Same two month timeline of issues as many others.

Whatever the news, a little pr contact on this would go a long way.

#10 Alopex

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria, Australia

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

Would love to know what's going on. I've also noticed some very unusual latency fluctuations during game play, which might explain the issues with HSR if the jitter is erratic enough, as I understand that HSR still relies on a consistent delay in the communication between the client and the server. In other words, the packet loss fix didn't hit the nail on the head and probably needs to be revised.

#11 Ellen Ripley

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 200 posts
  • LocationLV-426

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

It's at a game breaking level lately. So many clear hits are not getting registered, that it severely alters the outcome of games. Mechs are still walking around that should long be dead.

I play this game since closed Beta (August 2012) and my ping (I'm from Germany) was usually between 130 and 150 and pretty stable (only bouncing between those 2 at the most). Nowadays my ping is around 150 when I get lucky, but most of the time it is jumping between 180 and 250ish.
The problem is not on the side of my ISP btw.

If this keeps up much longer I might take a break from the game.

You're 8 man queue is not very populated as it is, and you should definitely prioritize this "no hit-reg/ping spike/no HSR" issue, or no one will be left to play in your new 12 vs 12 game mode.

#12 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

What I've noticed more than anything is reduced damage; hitting things with full alphas from a Highlander and getting barely any damage. It happens time and time again and has been noticeably bad these last couple of patches. The hit-detection or net-code or whatever really is the worse it's ever been since HSR was introduced (which was a revelation, really).

Because PGI put HSR in I feel it's got to be a matter of time before they tune this latest issue away. I just hope it doesn't drag on too long as it's starting to annoy people to the point where they stop playing.

#13 Karl Berg

Technical Director

• 497 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

Hey guys; yes, as you've noticed our issues with packet latency and loss aren't completely sorted, although the graphs indicate we came pretty close. With this very last patch we're now within about 10 to 20% of the total packet rate from about a month ago, except now players won't get disconnected due to low levels of packet loss or large latency variations. We have another fix coming with next patch to try and bring us all the way back in line, which should hopefully also solve the latency problems several users are noticing.

HSR, as it is right now, is extremely sensitive to varying latency, so for those of you experiencing large latency variations due to the increased send rate, this next patch should make things much better. Slightly longer term we are discussion options for removing the need to compute latency for HSR all together.

#14 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

Thanks Karl, that makes it a lot more bearable knowing you guys may have a possible fix.

Then again, that's what I was told pre-June 4th :) So fingers crossed this time eh.

However, is it possible to get a comment on whether ALL the above issues are linked?

For example, no-register, shots not doing damage even though they hit, has been an issue for a while, is that related or a completely different issue?

Edited by Valore, 13 June 2013 - 11:13 AM.

#15 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostKarl Berg, on 13 June 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

Hey guys; yes, as you've noticed our issues with packet latency and loss aren't completely sorted, although the graphs indicate we came pretty close. With this very last patch we're now within about 10 to 20% of the total packet rate from about a month ago, except now players won't get disconnected due to low levels of packet loss or large latency variations. We have another fix coming with next patch to try and bring us all the way back in line, which should hopefully also solve the latency problems several users are noticing.

HSR, as it is right now, is extremely sensitive to varying latency, so for those of you experiencing large latency variations due to the increased send rate, this next patch should make things much better. Slightly longer term we are discussion options for removing the need to compute latency for HSR all together.

Kinda hard not to realize something like this :) I would hope you guys would tell us about things like this without lots of people demanding fix asap or quitting game. Maybe even Command Chair post?

#16 Lucky 7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostCurccu, on 13 June 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

Kinda hard not to realize something like this :) I would hope you guys would tell us about things like this without lots of people demanding fix asap or quitting game. Maybe even Command Chair post?

Yes please, you need to be more open about stuff like this.

#17 Karl Berg

Technical Director

• 497 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

To be honest, I haven't actually done any deep investigations into the impact of the recent networking issues on HSR directly. I can make educated assumptions based upon what I know so far alongside user reports; but that's very different from actually turning on HSR debug mode and doing the regression tests, under production loads, with multiple release revisions of the networking layer isolated from other patch changes, with multiple network configurations, to definitively isolate behavioural changes. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting out a formal command chair post on this topic without having had a chance to do at least this level of investigation.

I can assure you though that we are not finished with these systems. The patch to network behaviour I mentioned earlier is already in our stable branch and is undergoing QA testing. We will also be revisiting HSR, not simply to address any regressions, but to improve these systems beyond where they were before.

#18 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

Even though my ping has gone up by 50ms (which I certainly would like back), the bigger problem for me is the terribly bad hit registration on lasers, PPCs and AC/20s. Can we get any statement on that please? Even if it's just a "We acknowledge it is a problem and look into what we can do about it".

#19 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

I think Karl just did if you bothered to read earlier messages in this thread. I know it's not front page statement but it still is.

#20 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostCurccu, on 13 June 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

I think Karl just did if you bothered to read earlier messages in this thread. I know it's not front page statement but it still is.

Karl talked about ping increase and HSR, but not about hit registration. So maybe you should have "bothered to read earlier messages in this thread" instead of just running your mouth.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users