Petition For More Phoenix Options

135 replies to this topic

Poll: yes/no (341 member(s) have cast votes)

I want to pick the phoenix mechs I get

1. Yes (235 votes [68.91%])

Percentage of vote: 68.91%

2. No (106 votes [31.09%])

Percentage of vote: 31.09%

Which phoenix mechs are you interested in (can pick multiple)

1. Locust (109 votes [13.23%])

Percentage of vote: 13.23%

2. Shadow Hawk (232 votes [28.16%])

Percentage of vote: 28.16%

3. Thunderbolt (231 votes [28.03%])

Percentage of vote: 28.03%

4. Battlemaster (252 votes [30.58%])

Percentage of vote: 30.58%

Would you like a 30$ tier for one mech of choice?

1. yes (188 votes [56.46%])

Percentage of vote: 56.46%

2. no (145 votes [43.54%])

Percentage of vote: 43.54%

If you could pick JUST ONE what would it be?

1. Locust (11 votes [5.09%])

Percentage of vote: 5.09%

2. Shadow Hawk (61 votes [28.24%])

Percentage of vote: 28.24%

3. Thunderbolt (52 votes [24.07%])

Percentage of vote: 24.07%

4. Battlemaster (92 votes [42.59%])

Percentage of vote: 42.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

As title.

If you don't want us to pay 20$ for any specific mech, maybe make a 30 dollar bundle with choice enabled for all the people who only care about one?

Currently the 20-40$ bundles are terrible.

Maybe even the option to turn mechs you don't want into MC, Cbills, or premium time.

Edited by ryoma, 06 July 2013 - 02:46 AM.

#2 BladeSplint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

Or just wait and buy the C-Bill versions.

#3 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

There all on the list as unseen mechs so get them now before Harmony Gold issues a cease and desist order. For a halt of production.

#4 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostBladeSplint, on 25 June 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Or just wait and buy the C-Bill versions.

Founders pack we got to choose. Limiting choice can only lose them money.

#5 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

View Postryoma, on 25 June 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

haha, with reseen mechs, no this won't hurt them. I can't care about this. I'm getting Overlord.

Edited by EyeOne, 25 June 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#6 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

It's actually going to ramp the sales up. Heavy Metal was the test-bed for this, not the Founders program. Note that the Battlemaster won't be available for 3 months after it's available to those who purchase.

#7 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

View PostEyeOne, on 25 June 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

haha, with reseen mechs, no this won't hurt them. I can't care about this. I'm getting Overlord.

Almost, but I still can't justify to myself spending 20 dollars on a Locust to get my Shadow Hawk. I would never use the Locust, so it's a waste of money.

I'd rather receive empty mech bays and more premium time.

#8 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

^What he said.

The locust is a terribad mech and they chose the most terribad variant possible to apply the CBill/Loyalty boost to. I mean seriously, it's a Spider-5K minus armor, minus jumpjets, minus lower arm actuators and with three forced external heatsinks from the 170 engine cap. Even if I wanted the locust it still wouldn't be worth the cost for a unique skin/c-bill boost for a version I'd never, ever want to use.

#9 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

I'm going to go ahead and assume you don't pilot lights. Lights (especially low tonnage lights) are some of the most slot hungry mechs.

Six slots from XL Engine. 14 Slots from Endo-Steel. On a Sub 35 tonner 14 slots from FF if you want to actually squeeze some armor on after engine and weapons.

A locust is going to struggle to fit a LL + 4xMachine Guns (the standard 5K build) with its low weight and it certainly won't have the slots to have double heatsinks with it. And as the added kicker those four external heatsinks will be 1.4 doubles, so even if you can somehow fit in the extra 12 slots to have double heatsinks in it you'll lose 1.2 effective heatsinks compared to the 5K.

So yeah, external heatsinks matter. It's either going to overheat with a single Large Laser or be even more weight handicapped by not being able to take FF for the ~0.5 tonnes it'd gain.

Again, forced external heatsinks (my mistake, it's four not three), 20 tonnes, less armor, no lower arm actuators, no jump jets.

Even compared to what is widely considered the worst mech in the game the Locust looks terrible.

Edit:
Just checked, it's not actually possible to run a locust with 4xMG and a Large Laser with an XL170. At least not with anything but barebones armor. Which considering the tiny, tiny amount of armor you can put on a 20 tonner is saying something.

So, biggest and baddest the Locust 1V (the one that you'll get with the 30% CBill boost) will be able to field is a MPL with 4xMG. Can't even reasonably fit a lone AC/2 on it and the center torso energy mount rules out PPC.

Edited by Mahws, 25 June 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#10 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

Astute observations from Mahws!

Didn't even realize the Locust would be that bad.

#11 Atrak

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

Couldn't agree more, please don't force us to buy mechs we don't like to get the mech we do.

#12 Kamarok

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

In regards to your poll, I would rather pay the same $20 for a single mech of my choice, since they are charging $20 for each as they currently list. I see no reason to charge more ;).

Another thing I don't like about this game. Why is there a Max engine size for any mech, but why so low at 170 for a locust that starts with 160? Ok, so I can maybe understand setting some kind of limit (though I think tonnage of the engine in question would be limit enough), but that can't be much more heavy than the 160. If there has to be a limit on the lighter mechs, maybe no more than double the weight of the original engine? I don't have my books handy, but I can't believe that there's that much weight difference. I recall having a much bigger engine on my locust back in the day.

#13 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

Light mechs have their engine capped by whatever gives them ~150 km/h with speed tweak. It's to avoid netcode issues at speeds higher than that.

Unfortunately for the Locust that puts it at 170, with all the heatsink related frustration that implies.

#14 Ralgas

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

View PostMahws, on 25 June 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

Light mechs have their engine capped by whatever gives them ~150 km/h with speed tweak. It's to avoid netcode issues at speeds higher than that.

Unfortunately for the Locust that puts it at 170, with all the heatsink related frustration that implies.

It's going to hit the flea just as hard.....

#15 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

Ooh! A petition!

Because these have worked so well here! <_<

I'm kidding, mostly in regards to my failed petition to restore the CN9-AH that got like 900 votes for, 5 against, still no AH :lol:

#16 Syllogy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:19 AM

This isn't Burger King. You don't get it your way.

#17 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

View PostSyllogy, on 26 June 2013 - 06:19 AM, said:

This isn't Burger King. You don't get it your way.

Still, though, Burger King has a good business model there.

Maybe someone should follow their example.

The Customer is NOT always right. But, if you give the customer what they want, within the limits of still turning a profit, the customer is usually happy.

#18 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:47 AM

IMHO, its a smart move on PGI's part to limit the choice, else on October 15th all we'll see will be Battlemasters.

As for the jenner, bad or good is not the point of it. It's the nostalgia factor that makes it appealling.

#19 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

I suspect not to be honest. They have made the $80 package especially appealing on purpose ... it contains 3 months of premium time, the only way to get the battlemaster in the current scheme, 12 mechs AND mech bays, and some cosmetic stuff that may or may not have any appeal.

In addition, all of the premium "hero" mechs have a bonus to Cbill and LP earnings. Presumably they will have a "P" version designator the same way the founders mechs have an "F".

Adding a $30 choice option, will likely cannibalize sales of higher tiers. You would have to get two additional people to buy the $30 choice package for every player who switches from the $80.00 one in order to get the one mech they are interested in. Even in the Founders program, the single mech choice option was $80.00 (?) compared to the four mech option at $120.00. Based on that ratio, a single mech choice option would be priced around $50.00 and not $30.00 ... perhaps including additional premium time though.

#20 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

View PostDracol, on 26 June 2013 - 06:47 AM, said:

IMHO, its a smart move on PGI's part to limit the choice, else on October 15th all we'll see will be Battlemasters.

As for the jenner, bad or good is not the point of it. It's the nostalgia factor that makes it appealling.

Then make the single-chassis package priced by weight.

Jenner only, $20.
Shadowhawk only, $25.
Thunderbolt only, $30.
Battlemaster only, $35.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users