Technical Update 07-Aug-2013 - Feedback

190 replies to this topic

#21 The Faceless

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostZany, on 07 August 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

I really would like to echo this.

These small updates have really helped assuage my fears quite a bit.

Absolutely! Love it when you guys give us information on whats going on! Please keep up posts, ignore the haters and good work!

#22 Big Giant Head

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Locationingalaxyfarfaraway

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

Im sorry but I cant play MWO anymore. Im having like 7-9 FPS.
I mean I could tolerate 10-15, but this is just to much for first person shooter.

#23 orcrist86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for the technical update it clears up a lot of whats going on.

#24 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

You can look at Dota 2's system for abusive players where they get muted in chat for abusive language. They have an automated system for it based on the number of in-game reports a player gets or something like that. Probably block them from taking command as well for the duration of the penalty. They are also warned that their behaviour is disruptive to the community. Dota 2 says a lot of cases the players continue to play and behave better. This is just what I read of course, but it might be worth looking into so that you can minimize the load on your customer support guys and they can focus on hacks rather than digging for players who keep degrading others verbally.

Players in Dota 2 who report a player that gets action taken on them are also notified like "One of the people you reported was taken action upon. Thank you for blah blah." when they log in.

Edited by Elizander, 07 August 2013 - 11:02 AM.

#25 BlackWidow

• 1,182 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 07 August 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

Customer Support

We recently streamlined our internal process for monitoring support tickets as they come in (as just mentioned they do get heavily looked at). The development team gets active weekly reports detailing the current major issues and we're smoothing out our process for quickly addressing these issues and turning around those fixes to the community.

We have seen a steady decline in the number of issues being reported throughout Open Beta despite a growing player base which is a good sign we're on the right track and we'll work hard to ensure that remains the case.

As mentioned above some work on the automated testing tools was held up due to making changes for our Customer Support Team so that they can view in game chat logs easily to help deal with player abuse cases. We also added Spectate functionality for our Customer Support Team again as part of building up their ability to police the community.

This means they can now actively follow members who have been reported for abuse or hacking and monitor how they are playing. So expect to see the turnaround drop significantly for finding and suspending problem players. We are also actively investigating adding an in-game method for reporting problem players.

We continue to focus on what enhancements we can provide the Customer Support team to allow them to better police the community as we are very committed to ensuring we don't let a few bad players spoil everyone's enjoyment.

With all the other issues going on, people seem to have forgotten what an issue of player abuse/grieving has been. I appreciate actually seeing that in spite of all the other issues PGI has going on with getting MWO to launch, they have not forgotten about this issue.

The new tools sound like great assets for the Customer Support team and also shows that developing a game for long term success means a lot more than just dealing with "PPCS suck! Nerf now!"

Kudos to the dev team to keeping and eye on the forest and not just a few trees.

/Peace out.

Edited by BlackWidow, 07 August 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#26 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

With regards to Crossfire/SLI support essentially we did a pass earlier in the project with Nvidia to determine what was causing dependencies in the renderer slowing everything down, we identified some issues and resolved them but the performance didn't come back and at the time we simply had to move onto other issues. Most of the resources currently as mentioned are dedicated to getting DX11 stable and up and running, once that is out of the way we'll try and get another pass of what is hurting our SLI performance (the same will likely be true for Crossfire performance we'll ensure we address both).

#27 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

This is mostly as it should be, most of us only wish you had started this rapid iterations and a test server about 6 months ago.

#28 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostArmageddon, on 07 August 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

Please make SLI and Crossfire a big priority in addition to DX11. The game is almost unplayable for me after 12vs12. I was getting 60 FPS on high/medium and now I'm getting 25-35 FPS on all low settings.

either PGI's frame rate indicator has been borked, Or or most of Beta i was playing between 20-30 FPS and never found it to affect my game play that I am aware of. Or would it somehow double my uber badassery to have 60 fps?

I mean cinema has run on 24 fps for how long?

#29 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

View PostNiko Snow, on 07 August 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

Please let us know your feedback on the latest Technical Update from PGI!

[size=4]
Spoiler

Ok, so the spoiler doesn't show anything for me. I'll have to look for it else where to see what it said. it is nice that you guys are trying to open the lines and talk to us again.

#30 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostIceSerpent, on 07 August 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

Matt, just to make sure that we are all on the same page - you guys do treat a "1 high Elo player + 1 low Elo player vs. 2 average Elo players" as poor Elo matching, right?

Technically the match maker will consider it a 'good' game if both teams were matched by having 1 high elo and 1 low elo player on both teams just as much as putting 2 average players on both teams.

The match maker can only work within the ranges given to it though and currently the ranges can be too large i.e. the matchmaker can drag in a high elo player to balance out a few low elo players, when we start to reduce the range what we should see is that the match maker will wait longer to create a 'good' game i.e it will have to wait for a player with a more average elo to show up (as the high elo player will be out of range). In the extreme case the match maker will simply give up and say it couldn't find a good game, this can potentially be seen as a good thing as you didn't want to play that game anyhow.

As mentioned we'll be monitoring carefully and we suspect we can tighten the ranges without having a dramatic impact on average wait times and failed matches, we can also adjust the timeout up from 2 minutes to compensate. Hopefully that answers your question.

#31 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostRandalf Yorgen, on 07 August 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

Ok, so the spoiler doesn't show anything for me. I'll have to look for it else where to see what it said. it is nice that you guys are trying to open the lines and talk to us again.

It's the latest command chair post.

#32 DisasterMedic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

Stability
As most of you have seen by now we recently completed the set-up of additional Public Test Servers.
This is helping us to accomplish a number of goals:
* Allow major new features to incorporate feedback from the community earlier
* Give us better ability to find major issues with new features before they move to Production
* Give us an environment where we can try out more experimental features with the community

So do the lead developers that make the balance and gameplay decisions know this architecture exists, or do they just make you build it to say it exists while obstinately refusing to use it whatsoever? Or did Ghost Heat: the Magnum Opus get launched (and subsequently fail) before this, and now with an actual testing environment can we look forward to actual testing and community feedback being a thing?

Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by DisasterMedic, 07 August 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#33 SovietArmada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

Good to see your team has found the source issue for hit detection, hoping that will get resolved soon as that is my main issue with this game at this moment. Other than that, despite many negative and frustrated like posts from other players, I have confidence that PGI will make this game very enjoyable in time.

Even i admit my patience can run thin at times, but with the reports provided I cling on to hope that the professionalism of the PGI team will pull through to address the issues that diminish this games fun factors.

And uh, as a little nudge, hopefully something will be done in the future to address pin point alpha strikes eh :lol:

#34 Verbrand

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 100 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

Thank you for communicating with us!

Even if you can't give us resolutions, at least letting us know you acknowledge there are problems and they are being worked on is great.

The biggest issue that's been bugging me at the moment is hit detection and really needs to be one of the biggest priorities as it is so core to the experience. Hopefully the switch to DX11 will lead to improved framerates all around (if not initially, it will allow progression towards it)

The movement clean up on some maps has been going well and I've noticed getting stuck less than when this was first brought into place.

The one thing I am saddened by is that UI 2.0 is sounding further away than I'd hoped. So long as it makes it in by Launch.

#35 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

Oddly enough, my frames today are much better than they were on tuesday when the patch was fresh.

#36 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

Maybe it's because I don't play in spectacular settings. But I really didn't see a slip in performance. But I can remember at least three instances last night of lag warping me across the map. The map was the new lava map.

Edited by Tezcatli, 07 August 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#37 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

Good update. I appreciate PGI's recent attempt at communication.

#38 FuzzyLog1c

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

Matthew Craig said:

We have seen a steady decline in the number of issues being reported throughout Open Beta despite a growing player base which is a good sign we're on the right track and we'll work hard to ensure that remains the case.

You're seeing a steady decline in the number of issues being reported because we're giving up on you and your team. The number of problems are increasing, not decreasing--both in severity and quantity.

#39 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostFuzzyLog1c, on 07 August 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

You're seeing a steady decline in the number of issues being reported because we're giving up on you and your team. The number of problems are increasing, not decreasing--both in severity and quantity.

I very much doubt that's the case.

But even if it is, giving Customer Service better tools will help a great deal, so they're on the right track.

#40 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

If DX11 improves the performance i am totaly cool (happy) with that.

I honestly think that Dualcore-CPUs should be abandoned - you get Quadcores for 2 Dollar on Ebay...

Would like to have some of the old fidelity back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users