#181 Ground Pounder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Florida

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

View PostOnij74, on 12 August 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

Thanks for the update.

Although I see lots of room for improvement, MWO is, at this point, the only game that gives me anything resembling BT gaming on the PC. I am, thankful for your efforts, and hope to see:
  • Regular updates with sufficient details (dates, progress, reasons for delays) from the development leadership team surrounding major bugs, issues, upcoming features, etc. with emphasis on establishing trust and transparency with your customers
  • Commitment to continuously improve the service (MWO) <See ITSM principles>; MWO is a SaaS which require ITSM mentality to succeeed

I wouldnt say this game is the only option. You still have Mechwarrior 4 and several TT Battletech PC games available (even if most are from independant designers).

My main problem with this game is that when it was announced and hyped, it was to be a hybrid between the Mechwarrior series and Classic TT Battletech (which I have been a huge fan of for over 2 decades). This is a long long way from happening.

We have light mechs (whose role in Battletech and Mechwarrior alike, was that of Infantry support, scout and counter scout in all but a very select few cases) running around killing assault and heavy mechs in one on one combat due to some ridiculous speed/weapons load outs. These mechs operate more like mecha with thier speed and maneuverability which IS NOT what they are described as being in classic canon (It seems the only reason for them being elevated in all the ways that they are, is that folks want to play Light mechs outside of thier designed battletech roles, instead of playing something that already occupies that role). Light mechs are fast in a "straight line" and in basic "zig zag" manuevers...but we are seeing mechs running at 130+ KHM making pinpoint pivot turns that would send a mech sprawling in TTBT. Speed in this game kills and is better than armor by far when you factor in the small size of light mechs, the sluggish tracking, the lack of rear facing weapons, the limited depression of larger mechs and the lack of knockdown from ram and weapons damage.

There are several ways that light mechs could be balanced: Bring back knockdown so that light mechs can no longer run between larger mechs legs when they do get cornered. Introduce weapons damage knockdowns. Drastically reduce speed for turning/pivoting while running as well as introduce slip/fall mechanics for mechs making abrupt turns at speed. Introduce a landscape physics engine where terrain like water, rocky ground and trees slow mechs. Increase torso twist speed for larger mechs to replace the loss of rear facing weapons and rear swinging arm designs.

*deep breath* I will stop now lol

I have a rather sizeable gaming group (including a bi weekly level 3 battletech/Mechwarrior TT/RPG) and alot of them (around 40) purchased founders packs because of the promises and hype about what this game will be (sorry to say many bought them because of my advice and optimism). Out of the 40 or so, about 8 of them still play and hold out hope. Each patch though forces the remaining few to rethink thier continuing patronage of this game. Our hope that this game will be what it was initially sold as, is slipping away.

Glad some people like it, but we in our gaming community and several other communities we communicate with (about 200 gamers all in total) don't.

#182 Waking One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostGround Pounder, on 16 August 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

I wouldnt say this game is the only option. You still have Mechwarrior 4 and several TT Battletech PC games available (even if most are from independant designers).

My main problem with this game is that when it was announced and hyped, it was to be a hybrid between the Mechwarrior series and Classic TT Battletech (which I have been a huge fan of for over 2 decades). This is a long long way from happening.

We have light mechs (whose role in Battletech and Mechwarrior alike, was that of Infantry support, scout and counter scout in all but a very select few cases) running around killing assault and heavy mechs in one on one combat due to some ridiculous speed/weapons load outs. These mechs operate more like mecha with thier speed and maneuverability which IS NOT what they are described as being in classic canon (It seems the only reason for them being elevated in all the ways that they are, is that folks want to play Light mechs outside of thier designed battletech roles, instead of playing something that already occupies that role). Light mechs are fast in a "straight line" and in basic "zig zag" manuevers...but we are seeing mechs running at 130+ KHM making pinpoint pivot turns that would send a mech sprawling in TTBT. Speed in this game kills and is better than armor by far when you factor in the small size of light mechs, the sluggish tracking, the lack of rear facing weapons, the limited depression of larger mechs and the lack of knockdown from ram and weapons damage.

There are several ways that light mechs could be balanced: Bring back knockdown so that light mechs can no longer run between larger mechs legs when they do get cornered. Introduce weapons damage knockdowns. Drastically reduce speed for turning/pivoting while running as well as introduce slip/fall mechanics for mechs making abrupt turns at speed. Introduce a landscape physics engine where terrain like water, rocky ground and trees slow mechs. Increase torso twist speed for larger mechs to replace the loss of rear facing weapons and rear swinging arm designs.

*deep breath* I will stop now lol

I have a rather sizeable gaming group (including a bi weekly level 3 battletech/Mechwarrior TT/RPG) and alot of them (around 40) purchased founders packs because of the promises and hype about what this game will be (sorry to say many bought them because of my advice and optimism). Out of the 40 or so, about 8 of them still play and hold out hope. Each patch though forces the remaining few to rethink thier continuing patronage of this game. Our hope that this game will be what it was initially sold as, is slipping away.

Glad some people like it, but we in our gaming community and several other communities we communicate with (about 200 gamers all in total) don't.

to me it sounds like you got a major issue with hive mentality and overhyping things, which is quite common in tight communities

its enough for one to get silly about the game, then more and more pick it up until the expectations are sky high and unrealistic, where in the end most people are disappointed

did pgi go wrong in areas? yes, but a lot of the extremely dissatisfied people expecting the new coming of the mech christ had it coming, not sure how you were expecting a fully finished game similar to the old MW games and BT (which, btw, doesn't work... screw tabletop for anything but "feel") in one and a half years of development time from a small inexperienced team.

Edited by Waking One, 18 August 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#183 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

Alright, I have to look around some more, as I've not seen anything about them, yet, but I would like to hear how the other three 'pillars' of this game are coming along; as I've said elsewhere, I've been out for some time, now, and I'm working to return to it prior to getting AU active again next July.

~Colonel Kay Wolf, Armageddon Unlimited, on hiatus until next July

#184 Brkojle

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

I think that most of ppl in PGI are on drugs.

Do you guys honestly believe that those words are true?? Community can prove that almost each statement you made is totally opposite on the field. Maybe you should all pull out your heads from bag of ******* and start playing **** you make.

sorry for profanities, there are no other adequate words. Good luck in making game anyway, we will still be here playing our fav. mechs in your ****** made game.

(edited) ***** is mostly shi**t, fuc***k, ect.

Edited by Brkojle, 19 August 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#185 qki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

solid, and stable framerate increase. No longer getting freak 10 fps lagspikes that started showing up a couple of patches ago.

#186 BADWVLF

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

i love every map in the game.each presents a differant tactical problem to overcome,,really like the fact the developers are aware of the bugs,hit problems,and other issues and are actively solving them..the new patch was awesome,,3rd person is really cool and most of all my twin ultra 5s are not letting me down in a high stakes shoot out when it counts,you can actually enjoy the gun now just before it jams,,ha ha,,i like that,,great job,,great game,,will continue to support this game..thnxs veyron

#187 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostArmageddon, on 07 August 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

Please make SLI and Crossfire a big priority in addition to DX11. The game is almost unplayable for me after 12vs12. I was getting 60 FPS on high/medium and now I'm getting 25-35 FPS on all low settings.

30 fps(average) is playable you just can not enjoy the game on full settings but you can definately enjoy the gameplay.

#188 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

A solid update, keep up the hard work!

#189 Ground Pounder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Florida

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostWaking One, on 18 August 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

to me it sounds like you got a major issue with hive mentality and overhyping things, which is quite common in tight communities

its enough for one to get silly about the game, then more and more pick it up until the expectations are sky high and unrealistic, where in the end most people are disappointed

did pgi go wrong in areas? yes, but a lot of the extremely dissatisfied people expecting the new coming of the mech christ had it coming, not sure how you were expecting a fully finished game similar to the old MW games and BT (which, btw, doesn't work... screw tabletop for anything but "feel") in one and a half years of development time from a small inexperienced team.

Expecting someone to deliver the product that they promised is "silly" and "unlrealistic"? Hmmm...What an interesting view. If someone advertises that they have cheeseburgers, are you completely cool with it when they deliver you a fish sandwhich? And it wasn't the communities that overhyped the game. It was the promises of a "Hybrid TT/MechWarrior Series MMO". The communities that have endured and supported these games over the past years are what made THIS game possible and have kept the genre going. Those voices, who have made suggestions and criticisms on the forums, have been greatly ignored and now those people are stepping away from the game. When you lose the base of supporters due to taking away the "Feel" ie: those people who LOVE the genre, the game is doomed to fail in the long run. As far as people who expected the "New Mech Christ"...Wow, what a statement. No one expected anything of the sort. They expected what they were promised in the beginning. They expected the product that they were led to support. Unfortunately, with every new patch, this game gets further and further away from that mark.

#190 shadowwolf jerricho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 292 posts
  • LocationKHSA Coyote Remembered

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

I am not really sure what to say to some of these posts.....Battletech was founded in the 80s and has a HUGE contingent of fans since. I have played every single version of this universe there has been. MWO was seen as the continuation of a great game series with the last one MW4:Mercs being played for almost 15 years consistently. The rules for mechs and their roles in engagements are already designed and in place. Lights are scouts and harasser mechs,not front line killers. Medium and Heavy Mechs are the front line Battlemechs, Assaults were designed for Command and Line breaking. There are a lot of problems with this game, wasting time on useless views was silly at best, sabotage at its worst. The community at large just want a solid mech game not all the little additions we have now. Weapons are not bad right now overall, some are worse than others but none are game breaking. Hit detection is awful on light mechs and needs to be fixed immediately, Boats are not that big of a problem, tactics can always solve that problem, same for snipers and everything else. Tactics can and usually does solve these problems. Ghost Heat is useless, because intelligent players find a way around it. 3PV is a tactical advantage any way you look at it, PERIOD, if one mech can see from behind cover because of 3PV and a 1PV mech cant that equals advantage. Community Warfare and lobbies are miles behind and should have been implemented months ago. Knockdown/Damage Knockdown needs to return in a least the next patch or maybe one more out if the hit detection isn't fixed for lights. This will equalize some of the problems with the combat effectiveness of a light mech. I have stated it before Assault/Heavy Mechs should have NO FEAR of a light mech one on one. We need more maps,larger maps and for people to realize that a base must be protected because it is one of the winning conditions, not just killing the other team. Please PGI listen to the community, streamline your process, work on actual problems and not useless views, hit detection, knockdown, these type things to make the basic game a solid Mech Sim not a COD,Battlefield type game. Lets all start with a clean slate, solid game, no more lies, good communication and we will all be happy in the long run. PGI makes money, Fans get a great game with Community Warfare, units and a solid universe in which to play, I think this is a win win for all involved. If yall feel different please respond, let me know what I can add or detract and maybe PGI will be watching.

#191 ebea51

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 435 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for the update guys!

Excellent feature works – looking forwards to seeing it all go live!
Im REALLY glad to hear that HSR update/fix is in the pipe… us high ping players are really going to appreciate that!!

Thanks for the development update!

The community appreciates it!!

NOTE:
Is anything in the pipe for re-introducing Mech Collisions?

Anything on any progress for re-introducing Mech Collisions would be awesome. I know the first iteration wasn’t too flash with the rubber banding. But it still did what (I believe) it intended to do: Improve mech piloting quality and enemy/team-mate situational awareness.

Im really looking forwards to seeing it re-released!! ;)

Edited by ebea51, 28 August 2013 - 03:57 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users