Bring Back Ammo Explosion Effects

48 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want ammo explosion effects in the game? (150 member(s) have cast votes)

Ammo Explosion Effects

1. Voted Yes, I want to know when it happened (148 votes [98.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 98.67%

2. No, I dont care about such awesomeness (2 votes [1.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Squid von Torgar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 819 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

I may be tripping but I am sure that in Closed Beta we had a sound effect for ammo explosions. Sort of like a huge pan of popcorn going off.

Currently Ammo Explosions are pretty hard to spot. You hit a location, it goes and then damage spreads to the CT and the mech dies seconds after the hit.

Given that this is a pretty serious event in the game for both the mech that it happened to as well as the shooter could we have this effect back in, possibly with accompanying BB message "Ammo Explosion Detected"?

Not a massive ask, but I think it would add something

#2 Squid von Torgar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 819 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:04 AM

Bumping for Justice

#3 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

THOMAS, STOP VOTING NO.

#4 Thomas Dziegielewski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere - St.Ives - CERES METALS, AAlcadis Revised Underground Complex, B5

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

Our testers just took a look at it and there is nothing wrong .

Popcorn damage still happens and particle effects play as intended.

#5 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

maybe partical count and settling are on low so your seeing 'minimal' effects ?

#6 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostThomas Dziegielewski, on 01 October 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

This seems weird then.

Did the audio effects change at all? I just remember that back in CB, it seemed much more pronounced in terms of hearing the ammo cooking off, and watching a mech getting killed from the inside.

Now, it seems much more like... nothing.. nothing... nothing... dead.

#7 carl kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 395 posts
  • LocationMoon Base Alpha

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

Thomas can you confirm that much of the impact shake has been reduced? Generally speaking. Playing it now things just feel...well flat. In closed beta things were much more immersive and you felt connected to your enviroment. Shake was better and of course graphics were better as well. Will these things make a return?

Ck

#8 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

I have never heard a popcorn sound or seen any particle effects other then the normal weapons fire. At least, nothing stood out from said weapons fire enough for me to notice it. I have all my graphics set to maximum and post-processing turned off to get rid of that despicable film grain.

If it is indeed working, I suggest you send it to the art team for a rework.

#9 Iron Hyena

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

I want to see vids. Show me the vids.

#10 Squid von Torgar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 819 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:17 AM

Thanks for checking Thomas. It may be working as intended but I haven't heard or Seen (read as noticed) the effects for ages. Is there any way the sound effect can be beefed up and maybe more/different particle effects ?

#11 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

Here's how I realize I've caused an ammo explosion: I fire at a 'mech, and a second or so later it unexpectedly dies.

No sound, no particle effects, no message, no nothing.

Although the no particle thing may well be because I'm running at medium graphics.

#12 That Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:31 AM

in closed beta there was an audible (WHUD WHUD WHUD) as ammo detonated along with massive screen shake followed by death a few agonizing seconds later. now ammo instantly (and silently) explodes, instantly dealing damage. if there is CASE installed ammo never explodes (or if it does no one ever knows because there are no effects). in CB having an ammo explosion with CASE was an intense experience because you KNEW that 500kg of gear just paid off.

I have not seen or heard these effects since... well a year. on occasion you can see the particle effects on an enemy mech if it had a det, but usually only after its dead.

here are a few examples. i dont find any from the first person perspective. look at the dates of the vids posting. all of these are fairly old, and some even from CB
(note sound effects)
http://youtu.be/-q2PfQTd6wo?t=3m26s (note lack of sound effects)
(note lack of any effects)
http://youtu.be/6TaqD78F1GQ?t=1m54s

perhaps there is a bug with rendering the FX? maybe they only show up when on ultra settings or something. most of my options are at medium or high

#13 Squid von Torgar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 819 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

As an aside, but obviously relevant, this is what happens when a real tanks ammo explodes

http://www.military..../2119489661001/

In other news I suffered a AMS ammo explosion in my last game. BB informed me of it, and my right torso evaporated along with my right arm and significant damage to CT. But this all happened in silence.

Edited by Squid von Torgar, 02 October 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#14 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

Yep it does, i also saw it sometimes in the paperdoll yet.

Before when the ammo explosion triggered the inside of the mech began to shaken like an old car trying to ignite, starting to shake before the explosion (that hardly happens now)

Before you was able to see the sparks and explosions in the damaged areas until mech died, right now such things don't happen or the effects have been tunned down (running with all on max settings)

Now most of the time the item get destroyed then after 2 secs as top you die without noticing anything else.

This is common in my Flame with XL and Gauss, it's common to hear betty Gauss rifle destroyed.... then keep running for a couple of secs until mech dies (i guess it's the explosion popcorn eating my 2x Gauss tons in the torso before catching up the XL engine) still it's odd; that i can say oh god oh god and cross my fingers to see if i make it out alive or not when the Gauss is destroyed after armor is gone

Edited by Lord Perversor, 02 October 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#15 carl kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 395 posts
  • LocationMoon Base Alpha

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostLord Perversor, on 02 October 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

Yep it does, i also saw it sometimes in the paperdoll yet.

Before when the ammo explosion triggered the inside of the mech began to shaken like an old car trying to ignite, starting to shake before the explosion (that hardly happens now)

Before you was able to see the sparks and explosions in the damaged areas until mech died, right now such things don't happen or the effects have been tunned down (running with all on max settings)

Now most of the time the item get destroyed then after 2 secs as top you die without noticing anything else.

This is common in my Flame with XL and Gauss, it's common to hear betty Gauss rifle destroyed.... then keep running for a couple of secs until mech dies (i guess it's the explosion popcorn eating my 2x Gauss tons in the torso before catching up the XL engine) still it's odd; that i can say oh god oh god and cross my fingers to see if i make it out alive or not when the Gauss is destroyed after armor is gone

I sincerely hope the Dev haven't turned the graphic fidelity even more than they have. If I have to say it once I will say it again all these little details from auditory cues to visual effects create and connect the gamer to the game. MWO has suffered repeatedly from having its graphics gimped in every patch it seems. Why? Give me the options back for the full fidelity. When is this going to be a priority? Give me closed beta graphics back. Right now this game is feeling flatter and less immersive than during closed beta. It feels simply arcade like versus simulation style.
Ck

#16 Squid von Torgar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 819 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

If it is the case that these effects have been lessened in order to increase performance then thats a bit poo poo. Allow those with good machines to take advantage of them and those without to chose a lower option.

However, are we sure this is the case? Have things like this been removed due to performance balances. It would seem the learned Thomas would disagree. Thats not to say something isn't right, but perhaps you are over simplifying the problem.

#17 Thomas Dziegielewski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere - St.Ives - CERES METALS, AAlcadis Revised Underground Complex, B5

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

We wanted this originally
Not sure why we didn't use it

Like a thermite explosoion...would be cool

diff for diff ammo types to be awesome ofc

#18 A Man In A Can

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

View PostThomas Dziegielewski, on 02 October 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

We wanted this originally
Not sure why we didn't use it

Like a thermite explosoion...would be cool

diff for diff ammo types to be awesome ofc

Yes please! Add (or have visible) pyrotechnic effects to distinguish ammo explosion related deaths from normal slicing and dicing. :ph34r:

I would also say add pyrotechnic effects to the artillery and airstrikes on top of the screen shake. Then they'd be awesome. ;)

Edited by CYBRN4CR, 02 October 2013 - 08:03 PM.

#19 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

ammo explosions are so rare... big reason being endo-steel and DHS so easy to acquire, everyone has tonnage to spare for a single or even 2 CASES.

And the chances for ammo explosion are already very low..... why did PGI lower that chance again?

I miss the old days of CB when destroying a mech part without CASE instantly resulted in ammo explosion.

Good times ;)

#20 A Man In A Can

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:20 PM

View PostSybreed, on 02 October 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

ammo explosions are so rare... big reason being endo-steel and DHS so easy to acquire, everyone has tonnage to spare for a single or even 2 CASES.

And the chances for ammo explosion are already very low..... why did PGI lower that chance again?

I miss the old days of CB when destroying a mech part without CASE instantly resulted in ammo explosion.

Good times ;)

Good point. CASEs are so rarely used because the ammo explosion chance is so low and people feel they can get away with storing ammo in limbs.

If the ammo explosion chance was increased, or exploded if the mech was way over the safe shutdown levels, (with CASE preventing the explosion from outright killing you while shutdown) then it would give a reason to using CASE. If the ammo explosion chance was increased in general, it would appropriately buff crit-weapons, gausses, and energy weapon use without totally discouraging the use of normal ammo weapons.

Edited by CYBRN4CR, 02 October 2013 - 08:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users