Upgrading Founder's Mechs (Again)

52 replies to this topic

#21 Sierra19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

I guess I'll have to wait and see, but I really wanted to know the answer before I plunk down $60, as opposed to $40 for a Founder's pack. I don't mind that the devs pushed back the "get in" date to Aug 7th, as I'd rather have them take their time and get things right, or as good as they can get before 50,000 people flood the servers, as opposed to rushing things to meet an arbitrary deadline (KoTOR II anyone?). And since I'm not in Beta, and everyone is under a gag order, and sticking to it amazingly, I have no real info to go on.

Edited by Sierra19, 16 June 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#22 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

View PostSierra19, on 16 June 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

I'm well aware of what's included in the Founder's pack (updated), but my specific question has to deal with the mechs, and whether they are upgradeable. My thinking is that you will get a variant model, that you can't upgrade. I could be mistaken, but think about it. You get a stock Founder's mech that gets a LIFETIME c-bill boost. One of the ways you make money and xp (I'm pretty sure, anyway), is by damaging opponents. I know the devs talked about after battle rewards including spotting and destroying an enemy mech, so I'm assuming damaging a mech counts also. Anyway, you get one of the Founder's mechs and kit it out for maximum damage output, not really caring if you win or lose, because you have the c-bill boost on it, so you troll for credits to get another mech you want. I could be totally wrong on how it's going to work, but I can't see the devs giving you (ok, you bought it, but still) a fully upgradeable mech including a lifetime c-bill boost. Why would you bother to play or buy any other mechs? Then the devs get no more money from you. I'm sure there is going to be some drawback for getting the permanent c-bill boost. This question will strongly influence my decision of what mech to pick, as a stock Hunchback 4G is a pretty solid mech, but the stock Atlas could use a little work, imho.

I agree with this. I wish everyone thought like this too. It's business right? Yet a lot of players are talking like their founders mech will give them big advantages. It may simply give us a mech that is slightly more flexible to build than other mechs.

Easiest way to look at an MMO is first by knowing plus accepting that we're not going to get everything we want straight away or in any single special offer. That never happens.

There must always be something else to come to keep interest.

#23 Braedin

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

i am not looking at a founders mech that is more powerful, but more as a mech that limited players have. you know more as a status symbol.

#24 The Fridge

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationThe Kitchen

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

For us newbies out here who want to buy a Founder's pack to support MW:O, can one of you veterans go into a little more detail an the 4 Founder's mechs (dominant role, size, playstyle, anything else you want) so we have a better idea what we're getting into and the mech we'll choose for our desired role (scout, commander etc). I know there are forums out there but i'm asking about these four in particular. If this has been answered just point me to a link and i'll gladly jump there. I'd really like to just have a plan in mind before jumping into the Founder's pack.

#25 Sierra19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

View PostGHQCommander, on 16 June 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

I agree with this. I wish everyone thought like this too. It's business right? Yet a lot of players are talking like their founders mech will give them big advantages. It may simply give us a mech that is slightly more flexible to build than other mechs.

Easiest way to look at an MMO is first by knowing plus accepting that we're not going to get everything we want straight away or in any single special offer. That never happens.

There must always be something else to come to keep interest.

Exactly. The game is F2P, however the game is/will be designed to make you want to spend money, whether it's a temp c-bill boost for a mech, in-game cash, unlocking more mech bays, premium account ect... You don't NEED to spend money, but it will make your life in game easier.

#26 Kamarok

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

Personally, none of the 4 listed Founder's mechs appeal to me. I don't like any of them really. But I guess I will have to pick one as I do plan to buy a Founder's pack. I do wish they included more choices than these 4. Oh well :)

#27 Braedin

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

you know, i think the founder mechs should be things like the mackie. you know mech that came out of senerio packs from battle tech game.

#28 Sierra19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

As for the Founder's Mechs, you get to choose one of the following: Atlas (assault mech), big, lots of armor and weapons, excels at medium to short range engagements, Catapult (heavy mech), basically artillery, has long range semi-guided missiles, and jump jets to quickly move into/out of positions, Hunchback (medium mech), excels at medium to close range combat with it's AC20, has no long range weapons, and Jenner (light mech), extremely fast, and built to primarily locate enemy units, then "RUN AWAY!", can also be used as a skirmisher/harrier, as it can run circles around most other mechs, just don't get hit, because it'll ruin your day. Those descriptions are for standard/stock configurations.

#29 Arnie1808

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 546 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

I hope they don't go down the WoT route for the founders 'Mechs because its pointless buying a 'Mech you cannot alter in the MechLab :)

#30 Sierra19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

Extra c-bills and XP (I think) aren't enough for you? Everybody wants their cake, and to eat it too. I could be totally wrong, but time will tell.

#31 Argon3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

View PostSierra19, on 16 June 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

Founder's pack goes on sale Tuesday, and also, did you know that in WoT, you can put any crew in your premium tanks (nation specific, of course), and they will gain XP as if they are qualified in that tank? People use premium tanks to skill up their clan wars tank crews.

Any crew of that nation and Class ie Heavy Med or Light

But If I can not change stuff on a funders mech it is not worth the money
But comparing them to a Lowe as a cash cow is correct

#32 Lonestar1771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

Why do you seem so bitter about this? If people pay real money to get extra fake money then what is the problem? Its not like the founders mechs can carry double the weapons, or have shields or anything. It's just extra in game money.

#33 Arnie1808

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 546 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostSierra19, on 16 June 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

Extra c-bills and XP (I think) aren't enough for you? Everybody wants their cake, and to eat it too. I could be totally wrong, but time will tell.

I would rather have a steak and be able to make the 'Mech I buy mine by changing it the way I want to or is that a crime :)

Edited by Arnie1808, 16 June 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#34 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

View PostArnie1808, on 16 June 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

I would rather have a steak and be able to make the 'Mech I buy mine by changing it the way I want to or is that a crime :)

Lol If I pay $60 for a steak it better damn well come with cake and ******* wetnap!

#35 razorkill12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationJax, FL

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostCCC Dober, on 16 June 2012 - 08:19 AM, said:

@Sierra
I must admit that it is rather easy to fall back to what you know from WoT. I know, I did at first when I came over here. My best advice is to delete any lingering memory of that game and the stuff that has been forced on you. It affects the way you think and ask questions. The way the devs at WG interacted with us was through empty promises, delays, proxies, trolling and outright insults from the very top of the company (Victor Kisly dissing the Pirates' success in Moscow). None of that to be found here. It's like somebody opened the window to give us some fresh air to breathe, instead of forcing us to wear gas masks and do push ups LOL

I play WOT still very much in clan wars, and have to agree with this post. Hopefully this will be a moving on to the next generation of online gaming. WOT is the benchmark that alot of people here are hoping to exceed....me included. The graphics so far blow WOT out of the water. Lets hope that the gameplay will as well. I think that the devs want to please the community as well as make a competitive and fun game. Games with crappy UI, and difficult to figure out menu's and loading screens typically don't make it. So I am guessing that they are going to try to take the best points from the current and past free-to-play games and make this better.

#36 The Fridge

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationThe Kitchen

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

View PostSierra19, on 16 June 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

As for the Founder's Mechs, you get to choose one of the following: Atlas (assault mech), big, lots of armor and weapons, excels at medium to short range engagements, Catapult (heavy mech), basically artillery, has long range semi-guided missiles, and jump jets to quickly move into/out of positions, Hunchback (medium mech), excels at medium to close range combat with it's AC20, has no long range weapons, and Jenner (light mech), extremely fast, and built to primarily locate enemy units, then "RUN AWAY!", can also be used as a skirmisher/harrier, as it can run circles around most other mechs, just don't get hit, because it'll ruin your day. Those descriptions are for standard/stock configurations.

Thanks!

Is there any more background that could be useful to know? Like which factions are the primary users of each mech and thus would have a lower price for them (i read somewhere that prices of mechs is dependent on where your allegiances lie).

#37 razorkill12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationJax, FL

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

View PostThe Fridge, on 16 June 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

Thanks!

Is there any more background that could be useful to know? Like which factions are the primary users of each mech and thus would have a lower price for them (i read somewhere that prices of mechs is dependent on where your allegiances lie).

I would like to know this as well.

#38 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

That's difficult to say atm. Last word was that each faction had unique prices for Mechs, as you indicated. But that was before the whole community warfare pillar was put on hold. This can throw any prediction we currently make.

One thing is certain however: Steiner likes Assault Mechs and they've got enough money to ab/use them as scouts :)

Edited by CCC Dober, 16 June 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#39 Generic Mistake

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationMech Town

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

View PostCCC Dober, on 16 June 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

That's difficult to say atm. Last word was that each faction had unique prices for Mechs, as you indicated. But that was before the whole community warfare pillar was put on hold. This can throw any prediction we currently make.

One thing is certain however: Steiner likes Assault Mechs and they've got enough money to ab/use them as scouts :)

Why waste money on several lances, when you can simply have your scouting party complete all they objectives if they see fit. XD

#40 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

Here's a man that speaks sense. The same holds true for Clanners ... and Madcats :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users