Marauder Concept / Design Contest - (Unofficial) - Ended

389 replies to this topic

#321 JohnnyWayne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

Why would anyone as long as there is no marauder?^^ I technically have 2 Mechs I'm running: An ac20 troll jagermech and the Marauder std loadout on my Cataphract or Orion (of course with updated upgrades).

I've been running these 2 loadouts since closed beta (back then as good as i could on a Catapult) and before my Shadowhawk nothing much else. I followed this contest since the beginning and I'm really pumped about any result we might get from the artists or from PGI (I'm 100 positive they watched this contest as closely as I did).

I just wanted to thank you guys for all that effort and I look forward to the day we finally get to see a Marauder in MWO. I expect it to happen.

Edit: Maybe all of us have to visit HG and place a hot steaming dump before their front door. It would at least put a sign ^^.

Edited by JohnnyWayne, 10 November 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#322 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostEleventor, on 10 November 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

Not for the contest, just want some feedback.

Mechs used: Locust, Cataphract, Catapult, Spider, Orion, Blackjack.

Mechs and texture by PGI

Posted Image

It is actually interesting, very alien-like. You could, however, resize some parts to make the make more realistic.

#323 Foster Bondroff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Amazing contest. I really like many of the entries so far. Its not even that i could vote on one favorite. Its more the kind of choice, which of the cool and good ones fits into MWO, cause as it is labeled the contest tries to find a version for the game.

#324 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

interesting designs, good luck to everyone.

#325 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostSgtMagor, on 10 November 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

interesting designs, good luck to everyone.

It's a contest. I don't understand why you should wish "good luck" to everybody. -_-

#326 Sand Lantern

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostResidentCrow, on 09 November 2013 - 04:18 AM, said:

Thanks a lot for organizing this contest and thanks to those who also put up money for the prizes, there have been some really cool submissions to come out of all this.
Here is my submission, I had a lot of fun working on it:

Posted Image

I love it, definitely a new background image for me. Except for that one infantryman near the front, looks like his left leg is bending the wrong way. And is that a camel I spy? -_-

#327 Sand Lantern

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostSilversword EN, on 09 November 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

Well, I wasn't planning on posting my entry before the voting round did it for me, but since the rest of us are, why not?

My humble entry;
Posted Image

I like this design, but something about it says to me that this would be an interesting medium weight mech to pilot, rather than a heavy.

#328 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

New and updated condensed list. Not all of the original work are entries. I just tried to get everything up so people can compare. MoonUnitBeta will have the complete list. I hate you too multiquote system. I hate you too.

IqfishLP
Spoiler

Bishop Steiner
Spoiler

Wootin87
Spoiler

King Arthur IV
Spoiler

dak irakoz
Spoiler

Firenze
Spoiler

Dadrick
Spoiler

GalaxyBluestar (partial)
Spoiler

Reno Blade
Spoiler

Krigg
Spoiler

Tirick Fire
Spoiler

Hammur
Spoiler

Shimmering Sword
Spoiler

Marcobra
Spoiler

Le Goat
Spoiler

Odanan
Spoiler

EviceratorN
Spoiler

ResidentCrow
Spoiler

Zephiris2
Spoiler

AeusDeif
Spoiler

Apocalips07
Spoiler

Fherot
Spoiler

c91
Spoiler

Vetal I (images shown not a submission)
Spoiler

Hayden (nonentry)
Spoiler

Vanguard319
Spoiler

Silversword EN
Spoiler

Many of these are crazy awesome. I am not sure any one of them could satisfy everyone (in fact I am sure of it, darn purists), but even a hybrid of some of the best work would either produce the most epic Marauder ever or an unholy monster. I will say one thing almost all of these new visions have in common, the ol' MAD has definitely put on some badly needed bulk.

Edit: Some updates made.

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 10 November 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#329 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

you can update mine as a partial entry, my entry has some more work involved. it'll be a nice surprise for some people. -_-

#330 Shimmering Sword

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

I'm seeing about 8 strong contenders here, maybe more. It's gonna be a fight to make the top 3!

#331 Firenze

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

Posted Image

Remnants From the Past - Firenze

This is based on the colour scheme of my Unit the Remnant Mercernary Corp: http://the-remnant.enjin.com/home

The design is more like the reseen designs, due to it being my favourite type. The 5R and 5S on patrol on a sunny day through the badlands.

Edited by Firenze, 10 November 2013 - 06:10 PM.

#332 Griffinhawk

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

View PostOdanan, on 08 November 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

Guys, far from wanting to compete with the masters... this is just my humble (and flawed) vision of the Reseen Marauder, made with parts of MWO mechs.

It's seriously work-in-progress (I can't continue any longer... it's 3 AM here and I'm almost fainting over my keyboard). If you never see me again in the forums is because my wife killed me.

EDIT: second try, a little more polished.
Posted Image
It's based on this:
Spoiler

The reason I love this design is threefold. First, its awesome looking. I like how the arms have been brought up so you won't be blasting the side of hills all day. The arm shields are a good visual stand-in for those "pods" attached to the rear torso of the unseen. I'd like to see the side ballistic weapon mounted a little higher so that there's a reason for the arm shields.

Second, it's in line with MWOs look which makes sense since MWO assets were used in it's creation. As the creator mentioned, PGI loves to reuse assets. That makes it so they could theoretically put this mech together in less time than creating the assets from scratch.

And last and more importantly, it looks to be HG litigation proof resistant. While the reseen pic was inspiration it has no similarity to the Unseen MAD and only touch of similarity to the god awful reseen pics. I would love to pilot this mech.

#333 SloCat

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

And...my entry is finally in!!

Talk about bad timing (moving) but I had to hurry up any bang something out quick for this contest. After all, the Marauder is my favorite mech evvaaarr! I'm kind of a newcomer here, but you can see some of my other Battletech works here... http://lky13.deviantart.com/

Loads of great entries thus far! If I had to pick a fav. right now I would give it to Shimmy. Looking forward to seeing what else comes out of the woodwork though.

Slainte!
-Justin

#334 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostGriffinhawk, on 10 November 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

The reason I love this design is threefold. First, its awesome looking. I like how the arms have been brought up so you won't be blasting the side of hills all day. The arm shields are a good visual stand-in for those "pods" attached to the rear torso of the unseen. I'd like to see the side ballistic weapon mounted a little higher so that there's a reason for the arm shields.

Second, it's in line with MWOs look which makes sense since MWO assets were used in it's creation. As the creator mentioned, PGI loves to reuse assets. That makes it so they could theoretically put this mech together in less time than creating the assets from scratch.

And last and more importantly, it looks to be HG litigation proof resistant. While the reseen pic was inspiration it has no similarity to the Unseen MAD and only touch of similarity to the god awful reseen pics. I would love to pilot this mech.

Thanks!
It's not a true contender, tough, as it is not "original" art.

Anyway, I would love if PGI did something like that for MWO. It would easily replace the Unseen Marauder in my heart.

#335 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostSloCat, on 10 November 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

And...my entry is finally in!!

Talk about bad timing (moving) but I had to hurry up any bang something out quick for this contest. After all, the Marauder is my favorite mech evvaaarr! I'm kind of a newcomer here, but you can see some of my other Battletech works here... http://lky13.deviantart.com/

Loads of great entries thus far! If I had to pick a fav. right now I would give it to Shimmy. Looking forward to seeing what else comes out of the woodwork though.

Slainte!
-Justin

OMG!

Hey, are you the author of this and this and this and this? Your mechs are amazing!

#336 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

View PostGriffinhawk, on 10 November 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

Personally I like it too, especially since according to canon the Cataphract is made up of spare parts from the Marauder, Shadow Hawk, and Phoenix Hawk. So because of this the Marauder should share similar parts and looks as the Cataphract. The shields on the arm would help protect the side torsos adding to its usefulness. The only negative aspect that I can think of it is that it is supposed to resemble a Timber Wolf somewhat, since in lore the battle computer was confusing it between a Marauder and Catapult. But it is a good representation of a redesigned Marauder.

#337 vetal l

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 583 posts
  • LocationVRGD

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 10 November 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

New and updated condensed list. Not all of the original work are entries. I just tried to get everything up so people can compare. MoonUnitBeta will have the complete list. I hate you too multiquote system. I hate you too.

Vetal I
Spoiler

this one is not a submission. this is reworked version that i've tried to make:
1) lower (12m vs 16m)
2) shorter (-3m also)
3) with a smaller cockpit view (red one on that pic)
4) with a cheek weapon pods (MAD have it! and head mounting point also!)
5) with checked hitboxes (colors here)
6) with arms that defend torso (so shoulder goes upper and farer from cockpit)

you know.. it is hard to make torso twist more then 75 degrees for example and make it stylish and looking as MAD.

arms should yaw and pitch about 20/30 degrees and it makes even harder to draw (they always trying to glitch with torso).

hitboxes is a headache with such a long torso (try to view MAD from different points and image them)

oh... and you probably want to change weapons on your MAD, want you? AC/5 or UAC/5? maybe LPL [RT] and SSRM 2 [LT] on MAD-5D. or even more?

now i see why PGI can publish so few new mechs in a year.

Edited by vetal l, 10 November 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#338 SloCat

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostOdanan, on 10 November 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

OMG!

Hey, are you the author of this and this and this and this? Your mechs are amazing!

Hehe...yeah, those are mine. Glad you like them. I wish I had more time to work on my Marauder submission, but better a rough concept than nothing.

#339 Griffinhawk

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostOdanan, on 10 November 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

Thanks!
It's not a true contender, tough, as it is not "original" art.

Anyway, I would love if PGI did something like that for MWO. It would easily replace the Unseen Marauder in my heart.

Well, now I'm a little mad at you. :D It's my new wallpaper and I like to just look at it. Alas, I'll never get to pilot it I'm afraid. If it gets it done, I'd offer to pay PGI for it... look at my tag, I'm good for it. LOL

#340 Fherot

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

View PostSloCat, on 10 November 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

Hehe...yeah, those are mine. Glad you like them. I wish I had more time to work on my Marauder submission, but better a rough concept than nothing.

See now that is how I usually draw as far as linework and simple shading. Comic book style. But I was unsure how it would hold up to the inevitable amazing painting people do, so I attempted to color for the first time...

Now I see how nice yours look, I will stick to how I draw in the future. Good old pencil and pen. (which is hiding underneath my Marauders paintjob)

Love the style.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users