Redesign The Awesome.

28 replies to this topic

#1 See Beelz

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

The Awesome is a mech plagued with problems stemming from its large inflated size. It is one of the biggest mechs in the game width wise. Every part of the mech is oversized except its arms.

The torso hitboxes are absurd. Anything, I mean anything will hit you in the CT. Unlike the Jagermech which has a bandaid for a CT hitbox.

The Awesome has a tendency to have its CT scooped out by LRMs moreso than any other mech I have seen. It is jokingly referred to as a barn in reference to the saying "You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn." However everyone can hit the Awesome. It is a moving dartboard with the bullseye being most of the mech.

These outrageous sizes in both CT Hitbox and the wideness of the mech itself are holding it back. It is a novelty mech now. Nobody uses Awesomes to win. They use them because they have a strange attachment to it or want to make them game difficult.

Please scale it down or improve its hitboxes please.

#2 BeardedGlass

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

The proportions of the awesome are way off from where they normally are. Posted Image The awesome is supposed to be tallish and sleek, instead of the Obese one we currently have in game. The CT of this one is barely past the arms, and the side torsos are sunken in, but not to the extent of the current awesome.

#3 DarkDevilDancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:13 AM

I almost never see them anymore, hell I own two mastered awesomes and don't play them because to survive I have to hang back and play support a role no assault should do.

#4 D04S02B04

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:34 AM

Read what I've posted here on the Awesome.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2857435

Maybe there's a need to model the hitboxes better but otherwise the Awesome is a highly competitive mech.

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:18 AM

View PostBeardedGlass, on 20 October 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

The proportions of the awesome are way off from where they normally are. Posted Image The awesome is supposed to be tallish and sleek, instead of the Obese one we currently have in game. The CT of this one is barely past the arms, and the side torsos are sunken in, but not to the extent of the current awesome.

Posted Image

Tallish? Maybe, though fluff describes it more frequently as a squat powerful looking mech.

But sleek? IDK where you get that.

#6 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

Bump for justice!

Redesign the Awesome!

(also, death to ghost heat)

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:49 AM

View Postmwhighlander, on 21 October 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

Bump for justice!

Redesign the Awesome!

(also, death to ghost heat)

I'd support the death of ghost heat only when and if they redesign the entire heat system from the ground up and eliminate the rising threshold. Since that is unlikely to happen, I'll keep ghost heat thanks, since I like seeing a little weapon variety on the battlefield, which, as clumsy and convoluted as GH is, has occurred. I do feel it needs tweaks in some areas, and should also be reflected in individual mech quirks (Such as AWS should not suffer ghost heat until using 4 or more PPC, etc, aka, no mech should incur it for using their stock loadouts), but not eliminated. I do't miss the sky being full of PPC spam one little bit.

#8 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 October 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

I'd support the death of ghost heat only when and if they redesign the entire heat system from the ground up and eliminate the rising threshold. Since that is unlikely to happen, I'll keep ghost heat thanks, since I like seeing a little weapon variety on the battlefield, which, as clumsy and convoluted as GH is, has occurred. I do feel it needs tweaks in some areas, and should also be reflected in individual mech quirks (Such as AWS should not suffer ghost heat until using 4 or more PPC, etc, aka, no mech should incur it for using their stock loadouts), but not eliminated. I do't miss the sky being full of PPC spam one little bit.

I would go as far to say, removal of ghost heat is assumed that we also getting a sensible heat scale, with general penalties as heat rises such as movement, convergence, mobility, and ammo 'splosions risks. (Even MW4 had these to a lesser degree ffs!)

And yes, the Awesome desperately needs heat/capacity quirks so it can use the armament it is renowned for without being punished by the game.

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

If the game modelers were less prone to adding even more girth than Alex's concepts, it would be a huge start
Posted Image
along with better thought out hitboxes.

also, if the Missile variants didn't give it Sumo disease, it would help. Bloody thing puts on the spread something wicked if you drive the R, T , etc

#10 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

I think they need to re scale the hit boxes a bit but I would like to see all variants get a bigger engine .
A fast barn would help make people even consider this mech again.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

skinnier legs, better shaped torso, and more massive arms, with hitboxes along this line, I think would do it
Posted Image

if they had stayed true to the concept art, the massive shoulder pauldrons, and lower arms, when in the "ready" position, would all but shield the STs from side shots, and more massive STs would limit XL use, but allow it to soak and zombie better, protecting it's core.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 21 October 2013 - 07:11 AM.

#12 K0M3D14N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

...but how many AWS chassis have weapons in the CT, Bishop? Isn't that the whole point of zombie-ing a 'Mech?

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

View PostK0M3D14N, on 21 October 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

...but how many AWS chassis have weapons in the CT, Bishop? Isn't that the whole point of zombie-ing a 'Mech?

not entirely. The whol point is that to kill it, you have to kill a LOT of it, and it is not easy to do so. Think of the AS7-RS and DDC. Neither have center-line weapons, but they tank signifigant damage before dying, because even with relatively small arms, they almost always lost one or both ST first, with massive loads of armor to burn through, then to the CT, which has even more. Yes, once the ST are gone, it's harmless (unless it steps on your Locust.... :) ), but it took a LOT to get it there.

A similar treatment would indeed vastly improve the awesome, especially if they give it the massive arms we see on Victors, Thunderbolts and Centy's, giving it even that much more of itself to sell off before one gets to the juicy middle. (The Atlas, for instance I rarely fully armor the arms on, and carry ammo in them often, simply because I never lose an arm. People take my torso off instead, every time)

#14 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

Look at the thingy above it's cockpit. Not exactly CT, but still. Besides, he meant a mech that can actually take a beating. :)

As far as Awesome's problem goes, you won't help it. Awesome shouldn't have been added to the game at all, just like the Panther, for instance. The way they designed this game is incompatible with these mechs and there is absolutely nothing they could do that other mech wouldn't handle better. With or without fixed heat mechanics, with or without ghost heat, with or without ridiculous uppings of eninge power, with or without tonnage limits, with or without remaking of hitboxes and I don't know what else...

These kind of mechs only work if their only strength isn't universal for all mechs. And that's not the case here.

#15 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

View PostBeardedGlass, on 20 October 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

Sorry... What?
Posted Image
Posted Image\
Posted Image
And now MW:O
Posted Image

#16 Wonderdog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

The Model for the awesome isn't the real problem (and isn't likely to be changed, because its damn pretty!)- the fact that its a fat faced bullet sponge without a single decent weapon loadout option is the challenge to be conquered. Its beaten in every role by another mech - it has no useful niche.

Fortunately, the ideal way to make it suck less is already in place - via the quirk system, give the awesome a higher heat tolerence / increased heat dissapation rate / increased ghost heat threshold for large energy weapons.

Who cares who fat its face is, and what a tempting LRM target the Awesome is when it can chuck out sustained PPC fire and 3 shot PPC alphas all day. Sure it will die just as quickly under focussed fire, but who's going to want to go toe to toe with it for that long given the hurt it'd be able to hand out in return :) PS- wouldn't mind a 9Q variant with 4 PPC's and an ECM thx.

#Wonderdog

Edited by Wonderdog, 21 October 2013 - 08:03 AM.

#17 Calan Steiner

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:03 AM

Yeah, the awesome is in need of some love. A fat CT and being completely non-functional in its stock configuration is pretty lame. I'm fairly sure my shadowhawk can get beat up better than my Awesome. Most people see an Awesome and just know it's an easy kill. Hopefully the Devs see this and realize that the Awesome is in dire need of some love.

#18 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:56 AM

View PostD04S02B04, on 21 October 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

Read what I've posted here on the Awesome.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2857435

Maybe there's a need to model the hitboxes better but otherwise the Awesome is a highly competitive mech.

Also read my reply to what he posted!

Fix the hitboxes, up the engine ratings, maybe add a hardpoint or three to make them competitive with Stalkers at least. While I like the model from an aesthetic point of view, I admit that a lot of problems stem from the physical dimensions of the mech; but I think the Cent proves that you can be large and in charge if your hitboxes are good. Maybe not to the same extent, but that's what the Awesome needs.

Edited by aniviron, 22 October 2013 - 02:57 AM.

#19 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:11 AM

They do have a head lazer though.

#20 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:47 AM

View Postxengk, on 22 October 2013 - 03:11 AM, said:

They do have a head lazer though.

Pfff, that's nothing. The AWS-9M has FOUR hardpoints in the CT. That's amazing! If I drop without an engine, I can actually use most of the mech's hardpoints.

Too bad two of them are two-tube missile launchers though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users