Chin Turrets Please!

30 replies to this topic

Poll: Chin Turrets (110 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see Chin Turrets implemented in MWO?

1. Yes (78 votes [70.91%])

Percentage of vote: 70.91%

2. No (27 votes [24.55%])

Percentage of vote: 24.55%

3. Abstain (5 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TrentTheWanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

A neat feature i've noticed that comes with some 'Mechs in battletech is the use of hardpoints in chin turrets (Mad Dog, Locust). I'd love to see these chin turrets track with the arm reticule, or even just inside their own limited field of fire "chasing" the arm reticule. 'Mechs like the Locust that depend on hitting consistently while moving and maneuvering at speed could (and in lore did) benefit from the extra acuity and swath of fire afforded by the chin turret, and 'Mechs like the Mad Dog are iconic for the distinct appearance that these present when aiming and firing (the MW4: Vengeance intro for example depicted this).

It seems as if the amount of work that would go into making the already present chin turrets animate and function would be slight compared to the improved experience and depth of play that would come from adding in the functionality. Who else here would like to see Chin Turrets serve some kind of function? Am I the only person who thinks this is a good opportunity to add a neat feature that would further make some 'Mechs different and distinct?

edit: poll added per request

Edited by TrentTheWanderer, 05 November 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#2 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

I'd like to see that with Locusts and other mechs.

#3 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

That fugly chin turret on the MW4 Vulture/Mad Dog? Aw, hell, no!

#4 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

Mad Dog has no chin turret. Mad Dog II seen in the late 3000s and into the dark ages did have it.

#5 TrentTheWanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

Potatoes potatos- it was in the MW4 intro and it's a neat feature.

#6 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostTrentTheWanderer, on 29 October 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

Potatoes potatos- it was in the MW4 intro and it's a neat feature.

It's one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. And I've seen me naked.

#7 FireDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 377 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

I vote "yea" on chin turrents. They look and play Cool! And any small step closer to my beloved MW4 Ares is fine by me. I know it is a pipe dream but I loved that mech!

Art by Tabnir: http://www.deviantar...Storm-277863871

From post:"http://www.mektek.net/forums/topic/30293-ares-battlemech/
"The Ares class Omnimech was designed by Jade Falcon Scientists not only to wage warfare, but to win Trials with other Clans. Much of Clan warrior law (the foremost law in clan society) is decided through Trial by Combat, often individual combat. The Ares excels in such duels, it has more maneuverability and flexibility than most mechs in it's category, and with the new Heavy Lasers it is typically equipped with, it carries as much firepower as some assault Omnimechs.

Strangely enough, the incomplete prototype Ares, and several of the scientists and technicians who worked on it, were taken from Jade Falcon in a Trial of Possession called by Clan Nova Cat. Now the Ares (referred to as the Lion Class Omnimech by Novacat Warriors) is being produced in numbers on the Nova Cat capital of Irece, while Jade Falcon Factories on Sudeten are just gearing up to produce the dangerous new Omnimech."

#8 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

I'd be more inclined to agree if those weapons had a greater firing arc in TT, but the visual was purely cosmetic as the weapons were torso mounted and thus had the same "Forward only" firing arc that other torso weapons did.

#9 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

A CT feature like this with the field of range of the arm reticules would be neat.....

#10 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostFireDog, on 31 October 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

I vote "yea" on chin turrents. They look and play Cool! And any small step closer to my beloved MW4 Ares is fine by me. I know it is a pipe dream but I loved that mech!

Art by Tabnir: http://www.deviantar...Storm-277863871

From post:"http://www.mektek.net/forums/topic/30293-ares-battlemech/
"The Ares class Omnimech was designed by Jade Falcon Scientists not only to wage warfare, but to win Trials with other Clans. Much of Clan warrior law (the foremost law in clan society) is decided through Trial by Combat, often individual combat. The Ares excels in such duels, it has more maneuverability and flexibility than most mechs in it's category, and with the new Heavy Lasers it is typically equipped with, it carries as much firepower as some assault Omnimechs.

Strangely enough, the incomplete prototype Ares, and several of the scientists and technicians who worked on it, were taken from Jade Falcon in a Trial of Possession called by Clan Nova Cat. Now the Ares (referred to as the Lion Class Omnimech by Novacat Warriors) is being produced in numbers on the Nova Cat capital of Irece, while Jade Falcon Factories on Sudeten are just gearing up to produce the dangerous new Omnimech."

The Ares you are talking about is not a real mech in the BT/MW universe. It was put in MW4 Merc as part of a special mech pack created by MekTek in which they put in there own mech designs. Its even mentioned in the MekTek forum link. So it will never be in MWO as its not Canon. Take the Black Heart for example, I loved this mech in MW4 Mercs but it will never show.
http://www.sarna.net...rt_%28MekTek%29

However, there is an Ares mech, but its nothing like the mech you know, as its an IS mech belonging to the super rare Colosses Class weighing in over 135 tons.
http://www.sarna.net...28BattleMech%29

Edited by Coralld, 31 October 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#11 FireDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 377 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostCoralld, on 31 October 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

The Ares you are talking about is not a real mech in the BT/MW universe. It was put in MW4 Merc as part of a special mech pack created by MekTek in which they put in there own mech designs. Its even mentioned in the MekTek forum link. So it will never be in MWO as its not Canon. Take the Black Heart for example, I loved this mech in MW4 Mercs but it will never show.
http://www.sarna.net...rt_%28MekTek%29

However, there is an Ares mech, but its nothing like the mech you know, as its an IS mech belonging to the super rare Colosses Class weighing in over 135 tons.
http://www.sarna.net...28BattleMech%29

Yep, I know all of this, hence the "pipe dream" comment. But seriously, aside from all important "Cannon thing" they probably have a better shot at getting artistic licenses for the MekTek introduced content than from the Harmony Gold misers. MekTek certainly came up with some good mechs far better than some of the trash noted in “Cannon”.

As for the Cannon Aries, I don’t think it would go well in a real time online games, unless, maybe one could drop a couple near the pumps as mobile base defense nets. They would sure give the base capping lights a taste of hell.

#12 Christof Romulus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 898 posts
  • LocationAS7-D(F), GRF-1N(P)

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

I would vote yes... but sadly there's no poll in which to express my opinion =(

#13 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

The Wolverine's head laser should be on a turret as well.

#14 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostTrentTheWanderer, on 29 October 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

Am I the only person who thinks this is a good opportunity to add a neat feature that would further make some 'Mechs different and distinct?

Nope.

This is something I've been hoping they'd implement for a long time, and was kinda hoping the Locust would utilize.

#15 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 November 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

The Wolverine's head laser should be on a turret as well.

This would be awesome.

Edited by Praetor Shepard, 01 November 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#16 Kazairl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:33 PM

This would be cool. Hardpoints in the CT are always limited, this would redeem them somewhat.

#17 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:10 AM

It would be cool yeah.

I'm afraid they are sticking too close to TT though, which as we have seen, has caused deep rooted issues with general game-play.

A "turret" on a Mech in TT, for example, requires a Battlemech Turret applied to the weapon: QKD-8X Record Sheet & BGS-4T Record Sheet I don't know if it actually weighs tonnage though.

#18 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

With Locusts, for example, all the CT Energy hardpoint would need to do is track up and down with the arms.

That would be plenty to have with how the Energy hardpoint looks on the mech's nose in MWO too.

Posted Image

Edited by Praetor Shepard, 05 November 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#19 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

Different mechs could have different levels of tracking in different body parts, or maybe make it a module / upgrade. A mech that could turn it's head to face targets (like the Atlas) would be pretty damn awesome.

No upgrade: Aligned to CT
Vertical/Horizontal upgrade: CT/ST/Head weapons align vertically/horizontally with arms
Omnidirection upgrade: CT/ST/Head weapons work just like arms

Communicating the second option to the player might require a third crosshair though...

#20 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:18 AM

that would be cool :blink:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users