Who are these clan players?

125 replies to this topic

Poll: Who are these 'clansmen' on the forum? (98 member(s) have cast votes)

Who are these 'clansmen' on the forum?

1. Second-line, dezgra trueborns in backwater garrison (25 votes [21.01%])

Percentage of vote: 21.01%

2. Inner Sphere gamers who wish they were trueborn clansmen (31 votes [26.05%])

Percentage of vote: 26.05%

3. People who missed the turn for 'Roleplaying Forum' (63 votes [52.94%])

Percentage of vote: 52.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Aaron DeChavilier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

I was sparring with Winson in a chat when I stumbled upon something. If Winson and company are supposedly role playing clan characters, then who are these said characters? True clan warriors would not engage with surats over the chatterweb, they have more important things to do. Find me the source where it says that part of the day-to-day of a clan warrior in a prestigious frontline regiment is logging on to the chatterweb to check out the new video game about their life (a mechwarrior).

Now that I think about it, why would they care about a video game? that's anathema to their way of life, a trivialization that they would never tolerate much akin to their loathing of mercenaries and solaris 7 gladiators. Not only that but its a video game being made by some "barbaric" Inner Sphere company made of "freebirths" so the actual game would never 'be realistic.'

Also, clan warriors would never have time to play a game anyway! they're too busy fighting, training, honoring...living war, eating war, sleeping war(?)

unless that is, all you clanners are really trueborns in a dezgra outfit on some backwater looking over a second-line cluster of freebirth savrishi.

so either accept that your character is the one above, or stop the roleplaying. Save the roleplaying for when there's an actual game to roleplay for.

this goes to inner sphere 'roleplayers' too. Either do actual roleplaying that conforms to the actual realm of battletech or just stop. I'd like to have real discussions about this epic game with real players.

#2 Glare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 192 posts
  • LocationAtreus

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

Dude, we're having fun. It's the internet, lighten up.

#3 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:32 PM

Internet Mechs are serious business.

#4 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

Dear small minded person,

Most of the "I'm a clanner, Yar!" is in the "Hey, Clans, man!" threads.

Discussions about technical things usually don't say "It would be dezgra for me to spend c-bills on skill type upgrades for my pilot avatar!"

I'm sorry that you "don't get" roleplaying. Or people that had, perhaps, actual, real life experiences with their Clans that transcend this "video game" and it affected them, in a cool fun way.

You're the one trying to mix real life and the BTU. This whole forum? Its the BTU. Don't tell people how act, you don't own it. We all do. Outside the window, that's Real life, you can bully people you don't understand out there.

#5 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:51 PM

View PostBlack Sunder, on 12 November 2011 - 06:32 PM, said:

Internet Mechs are serious business.

it really is ( :))

View PostGlare, on 12 November 2011 - 06:29 PM, said:

Dude, we're having fun. It's the internet, lighten up.

when you lay off your rp I'll gladly do it...

View Posttechnoviking, on 12 November 2011 - 06:45 PM, said:

Dear small minded person,

Most of the "I'm a clanner, Yar!" is in the "Hey, Clans, man!" threads.

Discussions about technical things usually don't say "It would be dezgra for me to spend c-bills on skill type upgrades for my pilot avatar!"

point taken, it adds to the list; why aren't these clan player stepping up?

I'm sorry that you "don't get" roleplaying.

now this is what I love to hear...oh lordy me I don't get roleplaying.
Posted Image
no, never. I've never done roleplaying ever, Forever Alone looking in on the 'fun' to be had from out in the cold...
I also have played systems such as D20 Modern and DnD (not a fan though)
fyi; this is a pic, it did happen! (lol)

Or people that had, perhaps, actual, real life experiences with their Clans that transcend this "video game" and it affected them, in a cool fun way.

I really don't get what this means; you had an epiphany or grand insight on your life through playing one of these characters? did it take you off drugs? <shrugs> moving on

You're the one trying to mix real life and the BTU. This whole forum? Its the BTU. Don't tell people how act, you don't own it. We all do. Outside the window, that's Real life, you can bully people you don't understand out there.

so let me get this straight; you presume to know that this forum is in the BTU? that every conversation and thread will be put into the canon? astounding! what a crappy addition to some exquisite source material not to mention all the raping we're doing to the fragile fourth wall.
The saddest thing is, I do understand it but with a statement like yours, how could I ever prove it? Also, how is this bullying? I give an opinion in a general discussion and cause you don't like it, that's bullying? wow you have changed the way I see bullying so many of my friends I hang out with are now bullies as well! wheeee!
for copyright record, none of us own it. Catalyst Games, M$ (**** them), and PGI (salutes them) own it, we are merely guests to this great place.

#6 madman

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationTraveling the stars

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:17 AM

Quit your bawing, some people like talking in character in certain situations, some don't. No need to make a whine thread about it when there are several already.

Edited by madman, 13 November 2011 - 02:21 AM.

#7 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:24 AM

Don't feed the trolls, Children of Kerensky. They're just bitter that we're living out his vision while they're scrambling to sit astride a throne that has been vacant for half a century.

#8 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHipsterland, USA

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:58 AM

None of my friends or relatives will accept my trials.

Not after what happened to Rodney.

#9 Tsen Shang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, Tennessee

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

View Postmadman, on 13 November 2011 - 01:17 AM, said:

Quit your bawing, some people like talking in character in certain situations, some don't. No need to make a whine thread about it when there are several already.

You should read some threads. Roleplaying (clan) is in every thread on the board. It interrupts discussion, distracts people who are reading the threads, and brings irrational, nonsensical thoughts to otherwise meaningful discussion. It's annoying beyond imagining and childish.

Now don't take me the wrong way, I've role played plenty of times before, I still have a closet full of police outfits, fireman outfits, pizza delivery outf...ahem. Also DnD and whatnot. On forums it's ok in small doses, but the sheer amount on these forums is staggeringly unacceptable.

Please stop. I mean really. PLEASE

#10 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

Just because you own and play some RP table top, does not mean you know how to roleplay. I knew a guy who had a few books, he LOVED to be part of the D&D games when i played a number of years ago, but his druid would ask how much gold he gets for his nature loving druid to saving the forest from evil.

Just because you got some books says nothing to me.

You do not want to RP, good for you, you do not want to, but a number of players like to stay IC to a degree because THEY ENJOY IT, who are you to say otherwise?

Edited by CoffiNail, 13 November 2011 - 08:55 AM.

#11 Svarn Lornon

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:22 AM

I actuually fully understand Aaron. While not having said much myself yet, it really is kinda annooying if you suddenly get an IC reply in a discussion about some part of the game that really is not IC at all and it usally doesn't add any meanigfull to the discussion at all and IMO it actually is bad roleplaying to begin with.
Basically you are roleplaying a person from an alternate, future universe that is answering to a person in the past where your own universe is a work of fiction. Thats seriously screwed up.
Maybe it can be fun to spice a discussion with some IC fluff, but it shouldn't be beate to death and usually large amounts of IC speech should be kept out of OoC discussions.

#12 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:26 AM

Most people do not post from a pure IC, they post as if it is their character replying in this time. Yeah it is a little confusing. Still, their choice.

I like to post semi IC as well, i find it fun and enjoyable. Why I am here, quiaff?

Edited by CoffiNail, 13 November 2011 - 09:26 AM.

#13 Tsen Shang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, Tennessee

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 13 November 2011 - 09:26 AM, said:

Most people do not post from a pure IC, they post as if it is their character replying in this time.

Most people who post in character make some dumb remark that is a commentary on the PERSON posting, not the topic. In character posts are incredibly easy to misread or misinterpret which means a lot of these posts also end in flame wars. The most enjoyable threads I've read discussed a topic without anyone sticking a cross eyed head in the thread to spew clan lore nonsense.

There really is a time and a place for this stuff. Mechanics discussions are NOT the time or place. A good place would include 'pick a faction' or 'pick a mech.' It's far too prevalent in our current boards.

Edit: Forgot a period. Punctuation is important!

Edited by Tsen Shang, 13 November 2011 - 10:57 AM.

#14 Omar Thirds

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

Maybe it's because all of the houses get sub-fora, but the clans don't. Also I think the Clan's cannon might be more appealing to the role-playing set-there are a lot of cool ideas there, and lots of them inform how you create a character. Maybe they should just add a roleplaying board and hope it contains everything.

#15 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

View PostCake Bandit, on 13 November 2011 - 03:58 AM, said:

None of my friends or relatives will accept my trials.

Not after what happened to Rodney.

i lol'ed

View PostTsen Shang, on 13 November 2011 - 08:48 AM, said:

You should read some threads. Roleplaying (clan) is in every thread on the board. It interrupts discussion, distracts people who are reading the threads, and brings irrational, nonsensical thoughts to otherwise meaningful discussion. It's annoying beyond imagining and childish.

Now don't take me the wrong way, I've role played plenty of times before, I still have a closet full of police outfits, fireman outfits, pizza delivery outf...ahem. Also DnD and whatnot. On forums it's ok in small doses, but the sheer amount on these forums is staggeringly unacceptable.

Please stop. I mean really. PLEASE

I thank Tsen for his/her more even handed response to this problem.

View PostTsen Shang, on 13 November 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

Most people who post in character make some dumb remark that is a commentary on the PERSON posting, not the topic. In character posts are incredibly easy to misread or misinterpret which means a lot of these posts also end in flame wars. The most enjoyable threads I've read discussed a topic without anyone sticking a cross eyed head in the thread to spew clan lore nonsense.

There really is a time and a place for this stuff. Mechanics discussions are NOT the time or place. A good place would include 'pick a faction' or 'pick a mech.' It's far too prevalent in our current boards.

Edit: Forgot a period. Punctuation is important!

right for example if someone asks what the clans are to you; is your first response going to be some IC post where you take a position...or because this is a game forum about a game, you give your opinion as a player
now try to imagine this as real conversation, where you don't have infinite time; you're response is going to be as a player, not a character. If I was at a hobby shop, talking about the future of battletech and how the clans were a tenuous addition, both my partner and I would look with skepticism and disdain at someone who jumped into the conversation spouting IC pro-clan nonsense. then we would laugh at them for their naiveté and childishness.

View PostSvarn Lornon, on 13 November 2011 - 09:22 AM, said:

I actuually fully understand Aaron. While not having said much myself yet, it really is kinda annooying if you suddenly get an IC reply in a discussion about some part of the game that really is not IC at all and it usally doesn't add any meanigfull to the discussion at all and IMO it actually is bad roleplaying to begin with.
Basically you are roleplaying a person from an alternate, future universe that is answering to a person in the past where your own universe is a work of fiction. Thats seriously screwed up.
Maybe it can be fun to spice a discussion with some IC fluff, but it shouldn't be beate to death and usually large amounts of IC speech should be kept out of OoC discussions.

thanks Svarn! and people thought I was the too literal person when I tried to bring discussion into threads.

View PostCoffiNail, on 13 November 2011 - 08:54 AM, said:

Just because you own and play some RP table top, does not mean you know how to roleplay. I knew a guy who had a few books, he LOVED to be part of the D&D games when i played a number of years ago, but his druid would ask how much gold he gets for his nature loving druid to saving the forest from evil.

Just because you got some books says nothing to me.

You do not want to RP, good for you, you do not want to, but a number of players like to stay IC to a degree because THEY ENJOY IT, who are you to say otherwise?

So based on some guy you knew a few years ago, you color me as some dumbass who's not a 'true roleplayer'? who's the close minded ones!? There is no literal way on this board to gauge a 'true roleplayer' hell even IRL that's almost impossible.
Here's a similar idea; you, CoffinNail have no idea how to roleplay clans, I don't care if you quote source books or send me pics of the books you own. I think you can't roleplay, cause this one guy I played TT with in 2007, he owns the Clan sourcebook but didn't understand.

the above statement makes no sense!

Closest you'll get are Method Actors. This brings back my original point, you guys aren't even roleplaying clansmen properly either; you're just cherry picking what you like about the clans most and playing Inner Sphere characters that happen to be Clan Cheerleaders.
Am I one to say otherwise? well if everyone is supposedly 'respecting opinions' then yes! cause it's my opinion however I happen to back this opinion up with some critical thinking about the concept of discussion boards. Most other games have set RP forums for the express purpose of RP so as to keep the RP and game talk separate and I'm not alone in this assessment. The podcasts that were posted earlier today; are BRILLIANT and the exact kind of discussion I'd like to participate in and foster.
In the end, RP at will, but don't walk around with an air of superiority or persecution because you chose to wear the emperor's new clothes to a tavern.

Edited by Aaron DeChavilier, 13 November 2011 - 01:42 PM.

#16 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:59 PM

I guess the question becomes, do I really want to talk about game mechanics with people who want to step on other peoples fun because they don't want to read them having fun in that way? I'm going to say no. I really don't want people who want to take other peoples fun away to have much sway in game mechanic discussions. What is game talk? Math equations to solve game situations? Don't need a partner for that, I got calculator and a pencil right here. You guys are lucky to have such fans. Wait till the Reddit, 4chan, Wow forum and other meme brokers get here if this becomes popular. You'll be begging for your RPers to be the only distraction.

#17 Jennifer Tarakovsky

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Lake of Hali, where the Clans will never find me

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

I don't see keeping the mass in character diatribes for RP threads as limiting anyone's fun, it's just a combination of annoying and disturbing when it runs to pages of rants that come off as someone taking things VERY personally. See the "What are the Clans to you" thread for some examples.

Discussing the game isn't really about the intricacies of coding but why not chat about how it's likely to be implemented, how is it going to handle stuff like, yes, the Clans, salvage, economy...anything.

This is me talking as a roleplayer of (yeek) 20 years standing so please believe me when I say I can understand getting attached to a character or faction to the extent you can slip in and out of character and in the right circumstances I can handle IC chat quite happily. I'm not really sure that conceptual and game mechanic threads are really the right place.

#18 ArgentumLupus

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

Yay! Another Heavy Gear player! I didn't think they actually existed... :)

#19 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

Come now people, I get that some people like to RP a bit to get because they are somewhat excited about a new MW game.
Even I do it from time to time.

It's all harmless fun.

#20 Gawain Emrys

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMargate, kent, England, UK

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:50 PM

In Character posting on a non-RP forum isn't really role-play, and it can be annoying. I speak here as someone happy to include IC stuff in my posts but who tries to be careful to separate it. taking things too seriously can be a major problem and with the tendency some posters have to post Out Of Character comments in an IC style it gets confusing and, occasionally, personal.

May I suggest taking a leaf out of my book (well, not just mine but I do use it) and using OOC comments supported by IC "quotations"? That lets you portray the feel of your chosen faction while keeping your game (as distinct from Universe) related content clear and easily recognisable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users