Mektek's Heavy Gear Assault

275 replies to this topic

#1 Vulix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationSouthwest USA

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

Just FYI, MekTek is making a new game called Heavy Gear Assault, based on the Heavy Gear mech franchise. As I understand it, we should be expecting alpha and\or beta testing dropping in 2014.

Heavy Gear Assault seems like it will be a true mech simulator, with mechs sitting at around 10 tons, 15 feet\4.5 meters tall. Gears essentially sit somewhere between infantry and tanks. Thus, the game will definitely feel fast-paced when compared to MWO's methodological approach towards gameplay, but previous Heavy Gear games have been huge about mech ('gear') customization and I expect to see that again.

The game appears to be more focused on arena gameplay and e-sports than MWO currently. The character you play as will be a 'Duelist,' or an athlete that pilots the machines used for Mech Sports in the Heavy Gear universe. Matches will take place in front of audiences inside of stadiums and event arenas, and other players will supposedly be able to spectator your match at any time and bet money on potential winners.

Register an account on their website (http://www.heavygear.com) to claim your pilot's name early. If you want to be super nice to me, here is a referral link you can register with: https://www.heavygea...er?ref=e4675380

Edited by Vulix, 31 December 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#2 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

Old news, but thanks.

They've been working on doing it for over a year. Once they got boned by the Free Release of MW4 to support the coming of MW5 which never happened they decided to switch to HG and leave behind the MW sceen since they never got the nod to do MW5 or MWO, as I understand it. They also felt kinda salty about the MWLL thing, but that's a different story. Personally I was disappointed they took down the support for the Free Release of MW4 and disappointed none of them wound up working on the next iteration of MW. Lots of talent in that group and the MWLL group to not pick any of them up to work on MW5 or MWO.

#3 Vulix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationSouthwest USA

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

I'm bumping this thread since a lot of people still like mechs but don't like where MWO is going.

Edited by Vulix, 14 December 2013 - 07:31 PM.

#4 Waterhead

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

Here, here.

#5 Fooooo

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

Been watching this one for a while.

Played HG multiplayer back in the day and it was a blast....bar the south and their early access to zooka's being a little OP. ;)

Interesting that
Jeehun Hwang

is the composer.

Also interesting that he did the music for Dark reign also!

I didn't know that, I loved the Dark reign soundtrack.......also one of my fav RTS's of all time.....imo still one of the best of all time in multiplayer. :D (damn you SC (starcraft not star citizen :ph34r:) for taking its lime-light)

I'll be playing this one for sure, but has nothing to do with whats going on with MWO atm.....I just want to play it, just like Star Citizen etc

Edited by Fooooo, 14 December 2013 - 09:03 PM.

#6 AlexEss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:07 AM

Sounds interesting, Not my kind of mech game but more options is always good.

#7 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

hmm, I'm not so hot on the "Arena" type of MP... I'll have to wait and see some gameplay videos before pledging.

#8 Vulix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationSouthwest USA

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

There is a good interview talking about HGA located at http://duelistsdigest.com/?p=53

#9 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:37 PM

Didn't they stop development?

#10 Vulix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationSouthwest USA

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

Nope, it's still being developed; they recently showed up at a gaming conference in Europe to talk about their game, and have been quite active on their personal forums. I expect we should hear a lot from them over the course of 2014

#11 Icould

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

Welp, I spent 1 and a half hours researching this and after much soul searching, decided the Mektek guys deserve to succeed and I ended up with beta-phase game pack. I just hope if they take over Mechwarriors we can "transfer" over somehow. Their destruction video puts a lot of what MWO has accomplished to shame.

By the way, another crowd-source game that deserves to succeed is linked below. They only ask for $5 to pledge support, $30 for a basic game pack, for what is touted to be a $60 retail game with stand-alone single player campaign, as well as MMO style persistent universe. Most people say if they deliver only half what they promise, it will still be an awesome game. Link here :excl:

https://www.robertss...d-take-my-money

Edited by Icould, 17 December 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#12 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

MWO, Hawken and Heavy Gear are all arena shooters. But Heavy Gears promise to bring campaigns, wich i miss in this genre. Im an old heavy gear player and got really excited when i herd about this one but got bumed out when i heard its another arena shooter. So i hope they bring more to the table than just multiplayer team death match like hawken or mwo

I want MW5 or Heavy Gear 3.

#13 Icould

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

TuristOAT: Actually, they followed suggestions from the backers and have included single player missions as part of their "stretch goals." This is what I understand from their website and forums.

#14 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:40 PM

View PostIcould, on 17 December 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

TuristOAT: Actually, they followed suggestions from the backers and have included single player missions as part of their "stretch goals." This is what I understand from their website and forums.

I remember there used to be a pledge goal chart on the website, that they will add in campaign mode if they receive x amount of pledge money. That goal chart seems to be missing now.

All I can find is their old page on Kickstarter.
http://www.kickstart...-gear-assault-0
Posted Image

#15 BlackYoshi1230

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

As far as I know, they didn't get enough funding (one thing I heard was that the team did not have a solid address or at least where the developer studio was supposed to be).

Still, would like to see Heavy Gear again... gee, playing the second one was cool. (I always thought of it as Metal Gear, except you are literally piloting one.) Hoo boy, gotta love stealth (I'm reconsidering playing F-19 Stealth Fighter again...)

EDIT: This thread from another forum could clear some of the air as to what was going on a while ago. And I'll leave it at that, I don't want to see bridges getting torched.

Edited by BlackYoshi1230, 18 December 2013 - 12:11 AM.

#16 Fabe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

I'm interested but it looks like they only have $124,400 of the base $800,000 they need to make the game.

#17 Vulix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationSouthwest USA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

New screenshots got released today as a Christmas present. Check them out at http://www.dp9.com/ or http://duelistsdigest.com/

Again you can register an account at https://www.heavygear.com/

View PostFabe, on 22 December 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

I'm interested but it looks like they only have $124,400 of the base $800,000 they need to make the game.

They are still developing the game, Mektek has signed with a publisher that already has some funding secured from other sources it seems. The plan now is to have a core game completed, and then shop it around for more funding afterwards or something to continue expanding the game. Crowd-funding should also pick up as the game gets more and more developed. Not really sure on the specifics, but they discussed some sort of plan along those lines in the interviews floating out on the Internet. But yea, it's definitely going to happen and be released.

It should be a good game too, I've talked to the devs quite a bit about it. They are quite active on their forum, I suggest you guys register and start posting there if you are at all interested. Mektek's working hard to make us an awesome mech game, and I think they could use the support :) Very nice and intelligent people too.

Edited by Vulix, 25 December 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#18 Fabe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:49 AM

View PostVulix, on 25 December 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

New screenshots got released today as a Christmas present. Check them out at http://www.dp9.com/ or http://duelistsdigest.com/

Again you can register an account at https://www.heavygear.com/

They are still developing the game, Mektek has signed with a publisher that already has some funding secured from other sources it seems. The plan now is to have a core game completed, and then shop it around for more funding afterwards or something to continue expanding the game. Crowd-funding should also pick up as the game gets more and more developed. Not really sure on the specifics, but they discussed some sort of plan along those lines in the interviews floating out on the Internet. But yea, it's definitely going to happen and be released.

It should be a good game too, I've talked to the devs quite a bit about it. They are quite active on their forum, I suggest you guys register and start posting there if you are at all interested. Mektek's working hard to make us an awesome mech game, and I think they could use the support :) Very nice and intelligent people too.

OK good to know that have other sources of funding. I just might buy on of the $40 pledge packages once I got some extra cash.

#19 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:07 AM

Thanks to PGI... I am hesitant to invest in another mech game made by unknowns.
Anyone have anything convincing ?

Yes.. I did follow the HG series when Activision made.

#20 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

View PostShinVector, on 26 December 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

Thanks to PGI... I am hesitant to invest in another mech game made by unknowns.
Anyone have anything convincing ?

Yes.. I did follow the HG series when Activision made.

These guys aren't unknowns to the Mecha community... but it is their first for pay game... (Fare thee well, AT-1)....

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users