Favorite Battletech Novel?

128 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron DeChavilier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:04 AM

who here has a favorite novel, and why?
note: we are not gonna argue the best, just tell everyone what makes your favorite
awesome to you.

personal favorite is probably Illusions of Victory by Loren Coleman

What I love about it is the focus on Michael Searcy (main character) as he moves his
way up the Solaris game world. Most of the book isn't about the fights, its about the
characters. Best parts are when the Solaris 7 riots breakout before the FedCom Civil
War, the chapter where reports are breaking out that the Michael Searcy - Victor Vandergriff
fight has blasted its way out of the Coliseum and onto the streets. That and the end of the book
made me feel really bad for Victor.

#2 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

WARNING: some minor spoilers:

I would say... the first book in the gray death legion saga... the very very early beginnings. Was the first battletech novel i ever read and what got me mostly interested in the franchise.

Everything was dirty and gritty.. you only had a couple of mechs that where more or less held together by bubblegum and some bandaids.. and oh my, was the tention high when the main protagonist had to fight a crusader AND a marauder at the same time in his freshly stolen shadowhawk.

Also it had lots of **** moments in it... good thing they didnt had cooling wests back in that day eh? XD

But i allways liked the gray death legion because they where pretty much normal people... they werent much for politics and the entire legion had a strong famaly feeling going on.

To bad that in the end the legion was wiped out... shame really.

MY other favourite one would be the story about the "old" smoke jaguar pilot that had to deal with being rediculed by his younger clansmembers because they blamed him and his generation for botching up the invasion of the inner sphere. The story over him and his bondswoman wich was a comstar adept/pilot was really nice

#3 Thunder Rampage

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:24 AM

The Legend of the Jade Phoenix trilogy.

That’s the only Battletech book I’ve had the pleasure of reading. I remembered watching my Dad play MW2, and I was one of those 12 year olds playing MW4 so when I saw the book in a gas station on a road trip to California a few years ago I said why not. One of the best purchases I’ve ever made. The story was riveting, and the Clans were interesting to learn about. The best part of the story was how you went through the entire life of Aidan Pryde, and you really got to see what it really means to a Clanner.

#4 Creel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:32 AM

I loved the 'blood of kerensky' books as much as the next guy, but I'm going to have to go with Decision at Thunder Rift.
http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0451451848

#5 Andrew Harvey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationCornfield, Indiana

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

I really enjoyed Decision at Thunder Rift, Grayson Death Carlyle's story was always one of my favorites.
Test of Vengeance was the first Battletech novel I owned though, so it'll always have a special place on my shelf.
The Blood of Kerensky series is up there too.

#6 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

I'll have to check out Gray Death. Jade Phoenix was indeed phenomenal, reading from the position of Inner Sphere bias I did come around to liking Aidan and his 'underdog' theme esp at the very end of the third book, it quite an emotional end.

#7 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:38 AM

The gray death saga is well worth it... its amazing how often the gray death legion was beat to a pulp or gets themselves close to anihilation just to make a grand comeback.

Kinda like bruce willis in his die hard movies come to think of it XD

#8 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:41 AM

I just realized through this we may be able to make a 'must read' list for people
who would want to delve more into the people side the universe?

#9 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHipsterland, USA

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

I was just thinking about the novels. I've only been able to read one or two, could you guys maybe put your heads together and help me with a reading list of novels written around the time the game is supposed to be released at?

[edit]
Oh wow, ninja'd

Edited by Cake Bandit, 14 November 2011 - 10:42 AM.

#10 Andrew Harvey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationCornfield, Indiana

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:52 AM

Lethal Heritage is one of the few books that take place in the same timeframe as the game. But there are quite a few others that you should consider that would give you a good amount of background knowledge in Inner Sphere.

Gray Death Trilogy: This is the story of the rise of the Gray Death Legion. The Legion is an influential Mercenary unit that discovers the Helm Memory Core, a database of information that helps turn the tide of technological decline.
-Decision at Thunder Rift
-Mercenary's Star
-The Price of Glory

The Warrior Trilogy: A central story in the universe that sets the stage for the union of the Federated Suns and the Lyran Commonwealth as well as the war between Hanse Davion and Maximilian Liao.
-Warrior: En Garde
-Warrior: Riposte
-Warrior: Coupe

Edited by Andrew Harvey, 14 November 2011 - 10:52 AM.

#11 Creel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:58 AM

View PostCake Bandit, on 14 November 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

I was just thinking about the novels. I've only been able to read one or two, could you guys maybe put your heads together and help me with a reading list of novels written around the time the game is supposed to be released at?

[edit]
Oh wow, ninja'd

I'd say that the grey death books are probably the best example of the society we're walking into. Decision at Thunder Rift takes place in 3024 and covers a mercenary company heading into the 4th succession war. It'll give you a really good feel for the overall climate of the pre-invasion inner sphere.

'Blood of Kerensky' and 'Legend of the Jade Falcon' are both excellent stories, but they're more clan focused than is ideal as a starting point. It's probably best to stay focused on the IS and Mercenary focused books to begin with.

edit: Interesting tidbit.
a search for battletech on amazon results in a ton of great books. Kindle editions of gray death and blood of kerensky, along with a bunch of TROs and other TT game books.

The same search on B&N gets you nothing but dark age ****.

In other news....
Upon further reflection, this is the book you should start with.
http://www.amazon.co...m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Edited by Creel, 14 November 2011 - 11:13 AM.

#12 pinsndneedles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 286 posts
  • LocationAlegro

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

Measure of a Hero by Blaine Lee Pardoe is far and away my favorite book of ALL the books I've read, not just Battletech.

The way it's written and the way Archer Christifori is developed and presented really struck a chord within me. The way he sticks to his beliefs and moral convictions, despite what's happened to him and the challenge he deliberately sets himself up with really inspired me. Sure, I know it's all written to be that way and some of it is rather cliche and typical, but I think the core message, for me at least, is the most powerful of anything I've ever read. Even now that I'm in the military I keep that original, worn, stained and well-read copy on my bookshelf if I ever need a reminder of what I'm doing or some inspiration.

#13 Helo Calister

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

Lets be honest any book written by Micheal A. Stackpole. Though Brother Grim, I agree completely defiantly have reread that book several times but i must admit to not reading must of the pre-invasion era.

#14 Tsula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNew Alavon

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:40 AM

Such a hard choice I realy enjoy all the novels.But if I had to pick it be these six books. The Warrior Trilogy, and The Blood of Kerensky Trilogy. Currently reading them again for umthem time of I don't know.

Edited by tsula, 14 November 2011 - 11:41 AM.

#15 pinsndneedles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 286 posts
  • LocationAlegro

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

View PostHelo Calister, on 14 November 2011 - 11:21 AM, said:

Lets be honest any book written by Micheal A. Stackpole. Though Brother Grim, I agree completely defiantly have reread that book several times but i must admit to not reading must of the pre-invasion era.

I find the pre-invasion books to be some of the most enjoyable of all the books I've read. I, like many of the people who've replied, would probably have chosen something from the Warrior or Grey Death trilogies if not for Measure of a Hero. Those books are excellent examples of class-A literature.

#16 Cattra Kell

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

Right now I'm chewing though Operation Audacity and its actually pretty good.

All time favourite one would have to be Far Count-

I mean... it would have to be the first three in the Twilight of the Clans just because I remember reading through them like a madman because they were quite good. Another one that I liked was Star Lord and of course you have the Jade Phoenix trilogy and Lethal Heritage trilogy. I think those trilogies stick with you more because they cover some MAJOR events in the battletech universe though.

Lets put it this way, with a huge universe its quite hard to pick just one novel as the best or personal favourite... yeah lets go with that!

Also as for Dark Age and everyone hating on it I will say I enjoyed Fortress Republic quite a bit myself and a handful of others.
Hopefully by the mention of Dark age they forgot about my mention Far County!

Edited by cattra kell, 14 November 2011 - 01:02 PM.

#17 Gregorri Davion

• Pip
  • Command Sergeant-Major
  • Command Sergeant-Major
  • 19 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

My favorite Trilogy by far is the warrior trilogy. Hanse Davion doing what only he could do was absolutely amazing to be a part of.

After that, i think one of the best invasion era stories about how to get a merc company together was Main event and the birth of the Black thorns. It was a very fun look into what it was like during the invasion when a LOT of small merc units got started looking to get some revenge on the clanners.

#18 Khushrenada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

i must say i loved all novels from michael a. stackpole, that guy is simply a genius.
best novels would be the warrior trilogy. justin allard liao was my favourite character back then (holy... that must be 18 years ago O_o ).

but the most epic battle was the fight between Morgan Kell and Yorinaga Kurita (not quite sure if it was in this trilogy though)

#19 PLEXI

• PipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 90 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

Of the ones I've read I have to say that Jade Phoenix has been my favorite. Test of Vengeance coming in a very close second place. I have a soft spot for Elementals :)

#20 Gaius Cavadus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 404 posts
  • LocationNova Roma, Alphard

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

The Warrior trilogy, really. I had a soft spot for Andy Redburn. Talk about a guy that saw it all in the 4th SWar and it was nice having a main character who wasn't a complete Mary Sue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users