General

1026 replies to this topic

#21 SmurfOff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

please use your test servers to try out any needs, and leave it up for a week. just this simple move may help swing public opinion.

#22 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

A higher minimum jumpjets to get an Assault mech off the ground could be a good tax; force players to make a decision, do they want more firepower or more mobility/utility

#23 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

Nerf the HGN but then you will note the VTR doing the same thing.....nerfing the VTR will lead you to the CTF-3D....You will smack that but then lo and behold....a SHD with PPC and AC needs a smacking.

Might I suggest you consider the intersection of pinpoint convergence, front loaded pinpoint damage in PPC and AC, and Jumpjets (both the boost of low numbers of JJ and the perfectly calm shooting window during your lofty descent) as you engage in this nerfing?

Simply scrambling HGN hitboxes, mangling hardpoints or adding a new HGN specific ghostheat or similar function will just leave you with a dysfunctional 90-tonner and at least three more mechs to nerf somehow.

Great game. Keeping fixing it Paulie.

Edited by Lukoi, 05 February 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#24 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for clarifying how order of project importance was decided. We've all been wondering for quite some time now....

*aims for Community Warfare....*
*fires*
*hits cockpit glass....*

#25 Ryan Steel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationThe Top Hat & Monocle Club

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 05 February 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

Sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hear that?

That is the sound of meta-humpers hearts breaking all over the forum

lol. You terribads have been saying stuff like that since the beginning of closed beta. "I can't wait till they nerf ________ and for all the meta (wrong use of the word "meta") abusers to start crying!!11111" We're going to dominate you no matter what gets nerfed in this game. We've used brawlers, lasers, direct fire, and every single mech and weapon system in it. The irony is that the nerf puts a huge stick in the spokes of the terribads that use FOTM mechs as a crutch and not to their full potential.

To put my ac20 round where your cockpit is, I'll even throw this in. I, as are all the members of the House of Lords, am openly endorsing the abolition of poptarting from this game, as well as direct fire if the community sees fit. We are guaranteeing that you will either not see us in game because you're absolutely terrible at this game and have low Elo, or you will get steamrolled as hard as you always have.

LORD STEEL
ggclose

#26 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 05 February 2014 - 05:30 PM, said:

A higher minimum jumpjets to get an Assault mech off the ground could be a good tax; force players to make a decision, do they want more firepower or more mobility/utility

No, that's taken care of in tonnage. You spend more tonnage in a JJ for a 90 ton mech than you do for a 30 ton mech. If they bump the heat on JJs to be more in tune with TT values it would make a world of difference, not hurt lights using them for mobility and elusiveness, yet still allow weapons to be used (albeit it at a MUCH slower rate or overheat) while JJing.

That's all that really needs to eb done with them. JJs are non-functional in any area other than going straight up or in a straight line (not including turning which isn't forward "movement") while your momentum carries you forward.

#27 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

View PostHelsbane, on 05 February 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

Thanks for clarifying how order of project importance was decided. We've all been wondering for quite some time now....

*aims for Community Warfare....*
*fires*
*hits cockpit glass....*

That's cool, I didn't want to swallow that vodka and tonic anyway.

#28 Grrzoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • 496 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

i think working the jumpjets is the thing. Instead of having to change much there you can just have a max turning rate for legs based on tonnage. That way, no matter if you are in the air the physics of turning faster because of no ground based drag do not apply as the turn rate has a locked maximum no matter in the air or on the ground.

#29 Noober

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostRyan Steel, on 05 February 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

We've used brawlers, lasers, direct fire, and every single mech and weapon system in it.

I'm yet to see you in a locust :rolleyes:

#30 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostSandpit, on 05 February 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

No, that's taken care of in tonnage. You spend more tonnage in a JJ for a 90 ton mech than you do for a 30 ton mech. If they bump the heat on JJs to be more in tune with TT values it would make a world of difference, not hurt lights using them for mobility and elusiveness, yet still allow weapons to be used (albeit it at a MUCH slower rate or overheat) while JJing.

That's all that really needs to eb done with them. JJs are non-functional in any area other than going straight up or in a straight line (not including turning which isn't forward "movement") while your momentum carries you forward.

Assault mech JJs are, indeed, very heavy. But a single jumpjet currently gives you a huge amount of height and mobility for the small cost of a single JJ. Having to buy more than one paltry Jumpjet will make the HGN (and probably other heavy jumping mechs) slightly less efficient if they have to pay another ton or two here or there.

#31 DangerousFat

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 13 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

I actually think completely inverting the current jump jet thrust formula would be the best, that way you get increasing effect with each jump jet you add, making it very inefficient to simply toss on just one or two.

Failing that, linear would be a fine option as well.

#32 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

I would say there are four major/meta jump snipers right now:

Highlanders (733C mostly, 733, 732)
Victors (dragon slayer)
Cataphract (3D)
Shadowhawks (2D2)

I would keep all these mechs in mind when you think about nerfing. If you weaken just one, then people will pile into the remaining three. Basically mechs with jump jets, and an asymetrical energy/ballistic hardpoint on one side (dual ppc + Autocannon(s)). The higher the guns the more powerful they are.

Edited by Jman5, 05 February 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#33 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

I'd agree with most of the posters. The issue with the Highlander is the jump sniper meta. It applies pretty much equally to the victor as well as any other mech that can carry PPC/ballistics and jump jets. The difference with the assaults is that they can carry more weapons and have the armor to withstand the return fire.

If this is the issue with the Highlander ... which was not specifically mentioned in Paul's post ... then I would probably start as others have suggested with modifications to jump jets so that more are required to obtain the height and time in the air required to effectively jump snipe. In addition, I would look at aiming modifications (like shake) ... perhaps extending it for the entire time the mech is in the air or perhaps 75% of the time ... with greater shake while the jets are actually running.

#34 Ryan Steel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationThe Top Hat & Monocle Club

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

View PostNoober, on 05 February 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

I'm yet to see you in a locust :rolleyes:

Yeah I have them sitting in my mechbay, and decided that having the significant chance of getting instagibbed wasn't an efficient way of securing wins. I'm sure it's good fun for some, as can be car surfing and highway car tubing, but I'm not so inclined to engage in those activities.

#35 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

Its not really a problem with with the highlander specifically but I would like to see jump jets changed a bit. I would like to see the lift generated be either linear or rewarding additional jump jets with more lift. So for example a mech that can jump 15 units would get 5 per jump jet or 3 for the first, 5 for the second, and 7 for the 3rd. Then I would let weight limits arrive and see how things go from there.

#36 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,681 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

We're going to dominate you no matter what gets nerfed in this game.

When reality finally catches up with you, oh lord, I just hope i'm there to watch the fireworks.

#37 L e x

• PipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

We're going to dominate you no matter what gets nerfed in this game. We've used brawlers, lasers, direct fire, and every single mech and weapon system in it.

Ya he's kind of right. Even if his tone is a little harsh to say the least.
Some people are good and no matter how you change the game they will adapt and still find ways to destroy you.

#38 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 05 February 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

Assault mech JJs are, indeed, very heavy. But a single jumpjet currently gives you a huge amount of height and mobility for the small cost of a single JJ. Having to buy more than one paltry Jumpjet will make the HGN (and probably other heavy jumping mechs) slightly less efficient if they have to pay another ton or two here or there.

that's JJ adjustment across the board though. Not singling out a specific class which is what would be bad in my opinion.

#39 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

While I think doing something about JJ's is a good idea, I'm not so sure messing with particular mechs is a bright idea when the heat system is in the state its in.

With heat sinks operating at TT rates dissipating 1 (or 1.4) heat over 10 seconds, adding buffer by increasing heat capacity of a mech, while weapons fire 2x to 19x in a 10 second time frame, it creates massive imbalances between high/low heat weapons. Sit above a certain threshold and you're screwed in less than a minute. Sit below it and you can pretty much fire until the cows come home....

....I know UI 2.0 was priority #1 for a long time and some things had to take the back burner. Still I'm getting a little jaded with how limited my options are with the current balance...

....this coming from a guy with near 100 mechs in the roster.

#40 LoneMaverick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

View PostLukoi, on 05 February 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

Nerf the HGN but then you will note the VTR doing the same thing.....nerfing the VTR will lead you to the CTF-3D....You will smack that but then lo and behold....a SHD with PPC and AC needs a smacking.

*envisions a whole team of metahumping SHDs wondering where their epic comp skills went*

Yes...this would be entertaining.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users