47 replies to this topic

#21 Sargon X

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 51 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:14 AM

I was just coming here to post a similar topic, as I have been having similar experiences against LRM the past few days. My Jenner has been getting pounded and I have a really hard time getting close enough to the enemy to do any damage, since I generally have to expose myself at some point to get within 100m and by that time they have already starting raining the missles down on me. Many times it feels like even hiding behind cover is not enough to stop the barrage. Being a new player, I usually don't even know where the missles are coming from or how to tell where they are coming from.

#22 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

"everyone is trying em out"

LOL!
i see guys on my team asking if everyone brought lurms like they should have.
others claiming on team chat that they are specifically running a1 cats, highlanders and orions with lrm, just to troll

i'm not even making this up, people aren't "TESTING" these things, they're out to bend the rules as much as they can

#23 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

I don't think anyone has brought this up, but with the tournament going on, LRMs are a great way to sorta "game the system". If you are good enough to manage a few kills with them, they tend to do MASSIVE damage numbers since they scour every inch of armor off a mech before they kill it, thus padding people's (read: my) tournament numbers.

#24 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

View PostLauLiao, on 22 March 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

I don't think anyone has brought this up, but with the tournament going on, LRMs are a great way to sorta "game the system". If you are good enough to manage a few kills with them, they tend to do MASSIVE damage numbers since they scour every inch of armor off a mech before they kill it, thus padding people's (read: my) tournament numbers.

most game developers would call this an exploit

emphasis on "most"

#25 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

LRMs work like that by design. Shitty design != exploit.

#26 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

not that, what i meant was that you could trick the tournament just by using a certain weapon.

bad design for lrm indeed, but even worse design for the tournament

#27 mouzerius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Locationnetherlands; terra

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:59 AM

my opinion get out the game now you still can this shit will keep on happening time and time again.
so unless you can go all zen about the game unbalance you wil hit frusstration after frustation time and time again.

so do on of my advises:
- Go zen and go with the flow
- get out now you still have not pumpt a load of money in it.

either way my advices from a old closed beta veteran, take it or leave it

#28 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

View PostMazzyplz, on 22 March 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

not that, what i meant was that you could trick the tournament just by using a certain weapon.

bad design for lrm indeed, but even worse design for the tournament

Technically from the source material normal LRMs can't lock on without direct line of sight, and LoS of another player doesn't count. Then special Tag compatible ammo for spotters (doesn't require lock to hit tagged targets, yay) or special NARC compatible ammo (both about twice as expensive as regular ammo). But with MWO's design for fire at location LRMs without lock, it's impossible to use them according to lore for indirect fire.

Wouldn't be such an issue if done right. Then again the weapon wouldn't be all that useful with the mechs being many times faster than battletech mechs.

But yes, MWO LRMs generally lack the ability to focus. You can fix this by chain firing to make them more CT-focused at the risk of more of them being shot down.

Definitely yes, a god awful design for the tournament. Basing anything on individual performance elements such as damage or kills isn't particularly bright. Especially for a "faction" related tournament. But who'd want to spend a full minute on each capture point?

Edited by Koniving, 22 March 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#29 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

Your best bet is to just stop playing until PGI addresses this fiasco.

That's what I've done.

#30 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

OP LRMPOCALYPSE QQ RAGEQUIT COUNTER

Edited by Kjudoon, 22 March 2014 - 06:48 PM.

#31 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

View PostKoniving, on 22 March 2014 - 06:23 PM, said:

But who'd want to spend a full minute on each capture point?

<Raises Hand>

Yes, I am well aware of being on an island that way

#32 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

View PostMazzyplz, on 22 March 2014 - 06:18 AM, said:

"everyone is trying em out"

LOL!
i see guys on my team asking if everyone brought lurms like they should have.
others claiming on team chat that they are specifically running a1 cats, highlanders and orions with lrm, just to troll

i'm not even making this up, people aren't "TESTING" these things, they're out to bend the rules as much as they can

So let me get this straight. there are ******** on teh intarwebz, so that invalidates anything we say? Oh I'm sorry, I forgot your evidence was anecdotal, well that ramps up the legitimacy!!1

View PostMazzyplz, on 22 March 2014 - 08:08 AM, said:

most game developers would call this an exploit

emphasis on "most"

How is it an exploit? You have access to the same tools as everyone else. If you are flat broke, in or out of game, that's on you.

#33 Race Rogers

• PipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationKurita Dropship in Low Orbit

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:33 AM

View PostKoniving, on 21 March 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Equip AMS. When I use a Raven 3-L I equip both AMS and ECM.

But as a counter to missiles, here's what I've been doing in my slow Jenner (90 kph).

First I analyze where the missiles are coming from and who they are after. I wait for them to get busy. When they are busy bombarding someone else, they won't be looking out somewhere else. That's when I make my move. A single slow moving object the size of a Jenner is very hard to see unless it moves fast. Truth be told I sneak out at 45 kph or less. When I'm spotted I punch it to the full 97 kph and find the nearest piece of tall cover.

Note that cover doesn't last forever, if you don't relocate you will be hit eventually.

Ultimately, the enemy must die. The LRM boat must die. Someone has to do it. And if no one does it, you will lose. To me, that means I need to step up and kill them. To you, that means you may need to step up and kill them. Find an isolated missile boat and attack it.

THIS^

i have been dying alot in my jenners too from the lrm spam. i took a step back and looked at what i was doing. now im running cover to cover and lasting longer. if you can afford/load it, i would also throw in a BAP so you can target spot for your teams missle boats easier. its a mundane job but you help your team achieve victory doing it.

it still gets real rough when your the only light in a assault game and them missles are blocking out the sky ;)

#34 Sargon X

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 51 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

View PostKoniving, on 21 March 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

But as a counter to missiles, here's what I've been doing in my slow Jenner (90 kph).

First I analyze where the missiles are coming from and who they are after. I wait for them to get busy. When they are busy bombarding someone else, they won't be looking out somewhere else. That's when I make my move. A single slow moving object the size of a Jenner is very hard to see unless it moves fast. Truth be told I sneak out at 45 kph or less. When I'm spotted I punch it to the full 97 kph and find the nearest piece of tall cover.

How does moving slower make you harder to see? Wouldn't fast-moving object be harder to see? I always move at full speed, should I be doing something different?

#35 Fat Weasel

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:59 AM

THANKYOU every one, I found some of the answers very useful.
=======================================================================================
It does seem to be that the light mechs who are more suited to a scout roll are of "limited" use in pug play and the few that are or were designed as harassers seem to have a touch of the headless chicken about them.

After a little play around in my opinion :
the jenner seems fast and robust.
the spider fast and just damned hard too hit.
the raven seems more of a cheap " run with he pack mech" apart from the x3 which is how I imagine scout mechs should be.
The little fire starter is a slow-ish but beefy little chap, able to spread out damage well
I tried the locust but was massively bored with dying after the first encounter with any enemy

If there was a hero Raven x3 with ecm the ability to do 120 kph and a jump jet ... my butt would never leave its seat !

#36 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

View PostSargon X, on 23 March 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

How does moving slower make you harder to see? Wouldn't fast-moving object be harder to see? I always move at full speed, should I be doing something different?

People in tunnel vision (ZOMG I GOT A TARGET FIRE THE LRMS OMG OMG OMG OMG DIE!) are stuck and focused on what they are attacking. If you're trying to kill something do you look left or right while shooting? They don't either.

Something small and slow will be ignored; mistaken as the movement of a tree or a water effect.

Something fast however draws a lot of attention.

Ever been snuck up on? In real life you're playing a game and suddenly a parent or spouse is says something to you from impossibly close and scares the crap out of you because they were quiet? Yet a kid you'll hear coming from a mile away? Or when you're outside something stationary even if out of place might go ignored... yet something dashing through the brush instantly draws your attention?

Peripheral vision (the sides of your eyes) don't pick up slow movement too well. You won't notice a snail on your desk when you're focused on what's happening on the screen but a buzzing fly will draw your attention instantly.

Last night I was in a Banshee. I went the long way around to the H/I/J 9 area of Alpines. My team's front line was on the opposite side. I casually walked toward them. Despite a couple of mechs maneuvering around and looking about, I went unnoticed until I got within 200 meters of an LRM boat. A retreating Blackjack saw me. I wasn't noticed because 1) I wasn't near my enemy's 'enemy' or even in the correct direction. 2) I wasn't fast or hostile. 3) I wasn't directly looking at them (I used the corner of my cockpit). And if sighted without the red triangle on my head I'd never be noticed as any different than them. Just another ally that's too slow to catch up. Of course the fact that those who could have seen me failed to notice me could also mean they were too concerned with what they were fighting to 'think' about what was coming toward them.

An example: In this video around 4 minutes in I sneak up on an LRM boat. I even go buddy buddy and shoot his allies from right next to him for a few seconds. "Huh?" "Hi!" Bang bang bang he be dead.

If I wasn't staring directly at the Stalker, he would've looked away and kept firing his missiles as I was just in the corner of his eye. But staring at him directly caused a flag in his head to trigger, and he finished looking at me to realize I'm not an ally.

Edited by Koniving, 23 March 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#37 Stunner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Welcome to the game. IF you have ECM you can disrupt pilots from being able to fire LRMs if you are close to them. This helps your team. I wish it gave you xp for that but it doesn.t

The other thing you can do is now NARC an enemy with ECM and allow them to get LRM'd to death. This should give you some xp. Be sure to get in a few hits with your lasers before running off.

#38 Imofexios

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

Am i wrong but aint the ECM helping your team mates too who is under the area of it?
This encourages team work if so and smart play ^_^

#39 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

View PostImofexios, on 23 March 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

Am i wrong but aint the ECM helping your team mates too who is under the area of it?
This encourages team work if so and smart play ^_^

You are correct. But the range is very limited for ECM's help, and ECM can be disabled. Examples: A dim red laser called TAG (Target Acquisition Gear) can 'spot' a target even under ECM. A PPC shot can disable ECM for 3 seconds.

LRMs could be fired without a lock, too, but will not track you if you move.

There is also the problem of keeping up with the ECM. Light ECM users should hang around allies to help them. But they commonly run off to do their own thing. Of course if this 'own thing' is to run up next to an enemy LRM user, there's a possibility of shutting the LRMs down (preventing all locks from occurring).

#40 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

View PostImofexios, on 23 March 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

Yes, ECM covers all mechs in an area.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users