Ability To Walk Around Your Mechs In Mechlab - Aye Or Nay

39 replies to this topic

Poll: Walk around ability in mechlab (119 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to be able to walk around your mechs in first and third person view in the mechlab?

1. Yes (85 votes [71.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

2. No (34 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

They could just have hangars customizable with MC's. Then they could group up mechbay+hangar decor sales.

And everyones happy.

As long as they develop their game first.

#22 Dustee

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 30 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTomorrowland, CA

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

This is the kind of thing that's fun in concept but has no point.

#23 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

Walking around in-game is a big part of what turns me off to Star Citizen. CR% waxes rhapsodic about how he's delaying the dogfighting module because he loves the game and wants to become one with it, but HOW much dev time and Kickstarter money was devoted to utter fluff like walking around in-game?

Oh wait, Chris is the second third coming of Christ, I can't say anything bad about him...

#24 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

Would I love to? You betcha!

Will I ever be able to? Nope.

I'd love MechWarrior 1/MechWarrior 2 Mercs style menus/navigation to help sell that I'm a merc in a living universe, but serious doubts even CW will be little more than bare basic menus...

#25 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:43 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 25 March 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

Star Citizen has components of the game specifically outside of the ship cockpit. Personal combat, etc.

Since this franchise has no components outside of the 'Mech cockpit (and never has), there is no reason to complicate it. It's all about being a MechWarrior, the human pilot of a giant war machine. Without the giant war machine, the pilot is just a human.

Lots of people already think they've screwed up the parts of the game they've tried to do. Doing this would do two things -- give them more (unrelated to MechWarrior) stuff to screw up on, and further delay the fixes to the stuff we already have.

Extremely well said, sir!

#26 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:53 AM

Great idea for whenever the already announced and existing features are reasonably polished. 2020 or so by current estimates.

#27 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:05 AM

I would like this feature but it isn't needed. There are many other features that need to be worked up before this; for example, Community Warfare, Clan Tech, Hit Detection, More Maps, a better Map Rotation System, and some other things to help out with game play more so then emersion at this point in time. Don't get me wrong I like the idea I just hope they wait till after they get some other things done first.

#28 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:30 AM

Since this franchise has no components outside of the 'Mech cockpit (and never has), there is no reason to complicate it. It's all about being a MechWarrior, the human pilot of a giant war machine. Without the giant war machine, the pilot is just a human.

Have you read any of the BT books? a MechWarrior is always something beyond just a squishy thing to put in a mech to make it go. Some character RP elements would help keep some of the Lore alive in this game and make it less of an e-sport. The necessity to create a character with a clan or IS background, choosing a home planet (even if it had no effect, you would still be able to point to the map and say "I am from Sarna").

From a TT perspective it may be true that the MechWarrior was "just a stat" that adjusted what you needed to roll for a hit, but other MW titles actually had you playing a character, even if it was only a narrative.

You are right though that PGI can't/won't do it and that it takes away from the development time of the "core features" (2 years pending BTW).

Right now MWO is just a Pokemech E-sport and people look around and see "cool stuff" that other developers are doing and start asking "wouldn't it be nice if...". I can relate to that since most of the thoughts I have with MWO start with something like that.

#29 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:30 PM

I would have prefered it if the life of the mechwarrior outside the cockpit was explored.
Have players go to different player hubs (dictated by their faction) and interact with other players and NPC characters.

#30 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:34 AM

This is something very simple that just a free-moving camera can enhance the immersion in the game. Oh, btw/ this would be acceptable and/or the ability to toggle 3d-rotation of our mechs in the mechlab. C'mon, we want to see all angles of our mechs and not have the mechlab-menus block our mechs. Common Sense.

#31 masCh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 407 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:46 AM

This would be awesome, but only after CW.

You won't have to climb your mech, you can just climb a platform that's connected to your mech like planes at the airport.

It could be a start to a bigger universe, you can go to the city to bank, bet, go to the arena to spectate, faction, espionage, etc.
Even hitch a ride on a dropship to another faction's planet, buy cheaper weapons. Much like Mechwarrior 1. PGI can even charge for this, earn % from transactions.

#32 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:35 AM

View PostPraetor Knight, on 27 March 2014 - 12:30 AM, said:

I vote Yes, but something like this is very low priority for the foreseeable future.

I agree.

#33 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:29 AM

Greetings all,

Currently the Mech Lab is just a collection of background and displayed Mech.

- Both called from assembled images and pasted to a screen size.
Nothing interactive about it at all.

- Even the stored images we have of the Pilot and Mechanic are not complete and missing some parts. So presenting them in full body is not an option at this time. PGI is fully aware of this and 'it's on the list' of things to eventually get to.
- There is work being done to 'enhance' the MechLab and move to UI 2.X, but again, after the current required work for CW.
- Changing the MechLab hanger to any type of 'active' environment would be a costly endeavor, both on the artists, designers, and animation workers. Altering the static format we have now, will make it very difficult for future upgrades and builds. Basically back to what we had earlier with needing to rewrite the entire code to make small changes.

- Perhaps, this could be done with taking the viewer/Pilot out of the MechLab and into some other method of displaying or viewing the Mech. A whole new location to present this view and scale to the Pilot. Just so we don't need to 'alter' or change any of the 'working' stuff we have now. (working, being a relative expression.)

This viewing aspect would most likely need to be a game within a game environment, not something that PGI is very fond of.
- For the amount of work, not cost effective.

Just saying,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 13 October 2014 - 05:32 AM.

#34 Ariana Rifkin

• PipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:55 AM

View PostKhobai, on 26 March 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

3) complete ambient/techno/metal soundtrack with 15+ tracks

Music is not necessary in this game at all. Somehow it worked for MW2...It will not work again. It will end up being stale and boring music. The reason it worked in MW2 was because they implemented a lot of melody and the instrumentation was rather diverse. Each track was melodic and created an atmosphere unique to itself.

If they did a new one it would be overproduced WUBWUB obnoxious tryhard garbage that could never live up to MW2 soundtrack. I already throw up in my mouth when I hear the Heavy Metal's warhorn. I don't know why they thought country style guitar music was at all related to heavy metal. I know I'm just ranting, but a soundtrack is the last thing this game needs. If you want something cool to listen to, put on your own music or listen to the MW2 soundtrack. Who knows, maybe obnoxious dubstep will get this game the attention it needs so I can live off of twitch streaming MWO. rofl

#35 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:07 AM

with the comming IS pack - the numbers of my mechs will exceed 100.... to walk through the hangar would need some time.

of course each mech should need unique scratches and bruises - fresh plates with fresh camo - and much more.

so when you walk through the hanger - you may have to wipe some dust from the system monitor of one or the other mech - to read what you are looking at - you hardly can remember that feral smile on that Mech.
DRG-FNG - and a small holo vid appears - showing battle roms of your Mechs former glory....showing a savage beast ripping through the enemy lines - breaching reactor shieldings - killing shots on enemy pilots.....

and you move on.... another mothballed mech - designation TDR-5S - a heavy foot crushing the soil below - arms raised in defiance - hold the line - hold at all costs

Edited by Karl Streiger, 21 October 2014 - 06:09 AM.

#36 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:51 AM

View PostBhael Fire, on 05 April 2014 - 10:50 PM, said:

I'd be all for a mech lab like the pilot quarters in EVE.

It'd be cool to be able to walk around your mech lab and see your mechs from human-scale in 1st or 3rd person.

You bet it would be cool:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All this coming from Blagg Zear's incredible video:

EDIT: You're all welcome.

Edited by XtremWarrior, 24 October 2014 - 02:01 AM.

#37 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:58 AM

Also, this Atlas is sad because a lot of you don't want to give him a hug in your Mechlab!

Posted Image

#38 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:12 AM

Since this franchise has no components outside of the 'Mech cockpit (and never has), there is no reason to complicate it.

Whaaa? :blink:
Those cockpits really do seem a little tight for those Tanks, Aerofighters... most of them would be a bit of a squeeze for smaller Elemental suits... I couldnt picture much space for a Partisan in a Locust cockpit

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Partisan

The Mech pilots dont have much to do outside of their own mechs (apart from maintainance if there is no AStech close by)... but the franchise, as a whole, has a great deal outside of the Mech cockpit.

#39 Seigaku

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:56 PM

I think this is a waste of time for the devs taking in mind the awful state of this game and how many gameplay features is missing.

#40 Arkbird_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

I voted no not because it is not a bad idea (its great! Immersion for new and old players alike would benefit) but I do not feel that PGI could create this in an efficient amount of time or resources or even make it half as good as most people who support this feature would want it.

Soon as (if ever) CW releases then we should debate other content. It's still "coming soon" just as it has been for over 2 years. Asking for more poorly designed features will just bog down the team on pointless endeavours like this waste of time 2.0 rewards has turned out to be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users