Madcat\timberwolf - Legs Look Too Thick!

136 replies to this topic

#1 AUSSIETROOPER4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:14 AM

Why does the madcat not have the 45degree chicken legs it should that make the main torso look a reasonable size? Why instead does it have atlas legs with a tiny undersized torso thrown on top?

It has assault mech legs!! Give it in game locust legs!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Why does it look like this on the web page? The cockpit overhanging the thin legs?
Posted Image

Edited by 116th NorskaFresh, 11 April 2014 - 03:17 AM.

#2 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

Camera angle makes it worse, but the legs are thicker than they used to be. That said, let us all start flipping tables because that one thing in that one game is not exactly like someone did this one time in another game. Right? Right?

The overall is gorgeous.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 11 April 2014 - 09:37 AM.

#3 Ansgar Odinson

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 77 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

Love the classic Twolf, this new one is just plain awful. Strange snub nose, boxy weird shoulders, enormous legs. It is all over just a poor rendition of the most iconic mech in the franchise. They really need to go back to the drawing board on this one.

#4 Tetryon88

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

All they need to do is shrink the upper half of the legs and it'd be fine. I can deal with the thicker arms no problem. Just reduce the thickness of the upper half of those thunder thighs and it'd look pretty much perfect.

#5 B Billy

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

OK I ***** and moen about mech games and the old days as much as any one, but even i can't ***** about this one.

#6 Rofl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 435 posts
  • LocationTrash can around the corner.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

View PostTetryon88, on 11 April 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

All they need to do is shrink the upper half of the legs and it'd be fine. I can deal with the thicker arms no problem. Just reduce the thickness of the upper half of those thunder thighs and it'd look pretty much perfect.

Spot on, brother.

#7 MechWarrior849305

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

Legs are not just only thick, they are also HIGHER then expected. Originally they are somewhat 50% of the mech height, but now it's about 60%, so its overall scale was shifted from 1:1 (torso:legs) to 40%:60%=2:3. UGLY :) I'd rather say AWFULLY UGLY

Edited by DuoAngel, 11 April 2014 - 11:28 AM.

#8 Degalus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 364 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

I love the MWO Style Timberwolf.
Every Mech in Mwo looks differnt to its older Counterparts of the older MW titles and they did a great job (k i hate the new updated misslebox and ppcs on the catapult but thats another topic)
Yea MadCat is an Icon but are we realy need to take exactly the 1:1 stoneagedesigns just to make BT fans happy (or letz say less angry because they are never happy with Mwo XD)
If we would take the first BT Design it would just look old and less advance then Innersphere Tech.
Just my opinion.

#9 Col Jeremiah Rose

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 4 posts
  • LocationArizona,USA

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

some licence taking with the looks of mechs in this reworking of the MW franchise is a given, but such a drastic and un appealing rendition of the game, series and fiction lines flagship mech is such a slap in the face. did these devs ever read the books? play the games? clearly this isnt the work of people invested in the betterment of the franchise.....done by people looking for a paycheck....sad and dissapointing work....

#10 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

I had always imagine the timberwolf looking kind of squat down, like a predator. This one looks OK, but the overall height should be shorter with more exaggerated knee bend to look really great. Thickness/Thinness I couldn't care less about, it's holding up a giant robot.

#11 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

"I like big Struts and I can not lie"

-sir Mechs-a-Lot

#12 WintermuteOmega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

Well, the legs ARE a big chunky, and i REALLY dont like the Back of the mech, since it is flat as a wall.
But i can imagine, that PGI didn't change the legs only for aesthetic reasons, but maybe also to make them easier to hit. too thin legs can be an advantage, and if you compare them to most IS-Mechs, these have also bulky bottoms.

#13 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

Posted Image

I dont know why that first pic looks sooooo weird

#14 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 11 April 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

Or how it was ever approved in the first place :)

#15 Capp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 11 April 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

Posted Image

This looks decent. The first pic looks like the Steve Urkel of Battlemechs, pants hitched up to it's chest.

*BOOM* "Did I do thaaaat?"

Edited by Capp, 11 April 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#16 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

Like I said: perspective. The first few photos of the mech looked horrible, but that was because of the angle. The last set are so much better.

https://lh5.googleus...reenShot001.jpg

https://lh4.googleus...reenShot002.jpg

https://lh3.googleus...reenShot003.jpg

https://lh4.googleus...reenShot004.jpg

The last one, especially, is nice because it gives a proper sense of depth when it comes to the center torso protrusion. From the front the mech looks squished, but from an angle there actually is quite a bit of extension going on there. Not as much as the original artwork, but that is a good thing. The original art work had too many design flaws, I would never want to pilot one.

The first one is good because it shows the proportions of the mech fairly well. Looks like about a 40/60 spread between torso/legs, which is fine since the mech always had long legs. Always. They are beefier now, but so what? It looks like a more realistic walking tank now. People did not flip their shit when the Mad Dog was redesigned for MW4, and this is essentially a minor change in the aesthetic. Overall, it still screams Timber Wolf. It is unmistakably a Timber Wolf. And that is what really matters.

Honestly, the only bit on the redesign I am not a fan of is the rework of the arms. They were too spindly before, yes, but now they look too stiff.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 11 April 2014 - 01:36 PM.

#17 Arc Viper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

I can see why they went with the more boxy shoulders, because you have those huge lrm mounts to carry, Would have liked the arms to be cylindrical but eh, minor problem. What I don't understand are the LEGS. This mech is too tall. When the Timberwolf moves it should look like it is prowling, not strutting like an ostrich. Those legs really need to shrink.

#18 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

View PostArc Viper, on 11 April 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

I can see why they went with the more boxy shoulders, because you have those huge lrm mounts to carry, Would have liked the arms to be cylindrical but eh, minor problem. What I don't understand are the LEGS. This mech is too tall. When the Timberwolf moves it should look like it is prowling, not strutting like an ostrich. Those legs really need to shrink.

@18:21
How easily we forget. It struts its stuff.

No?

@0:38

Hopping along, from MW2 to now. Somehow I expect it to feel heavier in MWO than it has in the past.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 11 April 2014 - 01:50 PM.

#19 Shath Allenson

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

My thoughts are as follows torso, legs and weapons are all messed up. I realy wanted this one mainly for nastalgia, but this basterdised version of it, hell no I'll keep my money and thanks for the heads up on that posible mispurchase. I think the catapult looks more like a twolf then this does.

Edited by Shath Allenson, 11 April 2014 - 02:29 PM.

#20 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

I like the thick legs, the skinny chicken legs look as if a strong gust of wind can blow it over. As if one shot of med laser will leg it, as if the how in the world is that thing able to support it's body with those skinny legs.

Edited by Grimwill, 11 April 2014 - 03:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users