Gauss Performance.

20 replies to this topic

#1 Swinebeast

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:10 AM

Hey guys, anyone noticed a difference in the Gauss after the patch? Nothing in the patch notes but I swear the projectiles are faster (look faster and now I'm leading less) and the cool down rates have increased.
I always run ping times of 250 being in AU, this hasn't changed, anyone else experience a gauss difference? With the nature of the weapon it may be just I had one to many coffees this morning.....

Edit: reading up on other pages it could be down to the hit detection changes on my high ping.

Edited by Swinebeast, 16 April 2014 - 04:20 AM.

#2 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:01 AM

View PostSwinebeast, on 16 April 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

Hey guys, anyone noticed a difference in the Gauss after the patch? Nothing in the patch notes but I swear the projectiles are faster (look faster and now I'm leading less) and the cool down rates have increased.
I always run ping times of 250 being in AU, this hasn't changed, anyone else experience a gauss difference? With the nature of the weapon it may be just I had one to many coffees this morning.....

Edit: reading up on other pages it could be down to the hit detection changes on my high ping.

I think it is a combination of the visual effects improving and changes to hit detection you are seeing.

#3 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:18 AM

It may also be that the now slower AC2/5s and previously slowed down AC10/20s make Gauss seem much faster by comparison.

#4 Swinebeast

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

Worked out the cool down, my previous ride was an elite Jager, but definitely faster projectiles and closer leading for me.

Funny about the ACs, im new to MWO (two weeks), when I first played I was surprised at how weird the muzzle velocity looked with the AC5s.

Comically slow with AC20s.

But it is a game after all and doesn't try to be anything else. :)

Shame tho, was thinking about a sniper Blackjack for my next build, tho at 1400m I may make do.

Edited by Swinebeast, 16 April 2014 - 07:26 AM.

#5 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

I see no difference. I gauss quite a bit.

#6 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

I've noticed my Gauss rounds (and AC20 rounds) passing through people without exploding, but maybe that's because the explosions are server-side now or something. I don't know. I do know that it's not as satisfying, even if they still do damage...

#7 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

If your shots (from any weapon) disappear without impact effects, then that means no hit server-side. You now know exactly what was registered, and what was not.

#8 Kusunoki Masashige

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

PGI UM YAH LAME RECHARGE TIME NOW HOW A GAUSS WORK ONCE CHARGED IT HOLDS ITS CHARGE TILL FIRED THEN RECHARGES. PULL YOUR HEADS OUTTA OF YOUR YOU KNOW WHATS AND FIX STUFF LIKE THIS.

#9 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

View PostKusunoki Masashige, on 17 April 2014 - 10:16 PM, said:

PGI UM YAH LAME RECHARGE TIME NOW HOW A GAUSS WORK ONCE CHARGED IT HOLDS ITS CHARGE TILL FIRED THEN RECHARGES. PULL YOUR HEADS OUTTA OF YOUR YOU KNOW WHATS AND FIX STUFF LIKE THIS.

Translation for those who don't speak "Screaming"

View PostKusunoki Masashige, on 17 April 2014 - 10:16 PM, said:

I lack the competence to utilize anything more complex than a push-and-shoot CoD-esque game.
Please ignore everything I post, as I also lack the competence to post anything more constructive than "I don't like it/cannot use it so it is therefore bad - and you are bad."

#10 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

I realize that something had to be done to unlink Gauss from PPCs but right now the Gauss is simply not competitive due to the recharge mechanic.

During the majority of engagements, Gauss does not the have range advantage over PPC/AC10. When I turn a corner in my Highlander, and see a Gausscat i have the time to place a 2xPPC/AC10 alpha and torso twist away by the time he fires. A sniper needs an ability to fire exactly when he wants to. Right now, Gauss is barely usable when you are stationary.

#11 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

Well, the Gauss charge mechanism can be summed up as good intention, bad execution.

For those whom it may concern, I've taken the liberty to quote from a BT novel (see spoiler below) to highlight how the Gauss Rifle is intended to work. You may notice that a couple of MWO balancing problems can be solved by just sticking to what's advertised (instead of making up convoluted and unneccessary mechanics).

Spoiler

Edited by CCC Dober, 17 April 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#12 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 17 April 2014 - 10:57 PM, said:

I realize that something had to be done to unlink Gauss from PPCs but right now the Gauss is simply not competitive due to the recharge mechanic.

Wrong. 2xGauss+PPC is heavily trained by some units. The setup is harder to use for new players, but quite potent once practice it enough.

#13 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:13 PM

i will agree with previous post. if anything - the gauss should fire instantly and the ppc should need a mechanic similar with the present one in the gauss. its more "logical" to "charge" the ppc before firing than the gauss.

#14 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:27 PM

View Postsmokefield, on 17 April 2014 - 11:13 PM, said:

its more "logical" to "charge" the ppc before firing than the gauss.

From one perspective, yes - from another - which needs the nerf more - the high heat energy weapon PPC or the practically heat-less ballistic Gauss?

Raise the heat value on PPC (or preferably lower the heat cap-potential) and they get nerfed.
Cannot say the same for gauss

#15 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:13 AM

View PostModo44, on 17 April 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

Wrong. 2xGauss+PPC is heavily trained by some units. The setup is harder to use for new players, but quite potent once practice it enough.

In what mech do you realistically run 2xGauss + PPC effectively? (HINT: No mech in game can do this without major sacrifices, so think clearly before you answer)

#16 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:23 AM

Cataphract 3D. That mech can do many "unheard of" things. I am not sure about the details, only the weapons. It may be using a relatively normal XL engine and/or a different layout.

Edited by Modo44, 18 April 2014 - 12:24 AM.

#17 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:41 AM

Let's be real here for a second. The Gauss itself is meant to consume so much energy that alpha strikes in combination with energy weapons or other Gauss don't work. I'm not making this up btw, you can read that up in the quoted source from above (see spoiler). Without this restriction in place and its tendency to explode easily, it is overpowered without any doubt.

Imagine a correct implementation for a second. Due to the high energy consumption there is a forced firing delay at play that automatically paces and balances the Gauss. That means you have to think one step ahead before you pull the trigger and account for the fact that the other part of your alpha strike arrives a bit later. This fact alone gives other ballistic weapons much more room to breathe, simply because they can be fired in sync with all other weapons (even Gauss). Think about it for a moment before you dismiss it.

#18 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:43 AM

Might as well go full r e t a r d in an triple-Gauss Ilya :-)

Edited by Kmieciu, 18 April 2014 - 12:52 AM.

#19 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:19 AM

You need the one jump jet that only a 3D provides. While it does rely on a good team to really function, it is far from a joke build.

For fun solo drops, you take a Victor 9K with 2xPPC+Gauss. This is my favourite toy at the moment.

#20 Cest7

• Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:54 AM

I still think it needs its cooldown reduced to 3.25.

4.75s cycle is just too long.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users