#1 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:16 AM

That's it.

There's no major epiphany in this, just stop walking in front of your teammate when they set up a firing line. I have lost count how many times I have the target lined up, zoomed in, haven't moved in a minute or two while I waited for the shot and when I pull the trigger BAM right in front of me some fool just caught my alpha across their mech. You'd think this is a common sense thing but, guess what? It's not! Not blocking your teammates shot is actually very beneficial to you! It lets him shred the enemy without shredding you! Later that damage you sustained walking in front will come back to haunt you and that blocked shot could cost you the match.

Well, there you have it an easy tip that will help you live longer and not the enemy!

Don't say I never gave you anything either!

Inspired by RiotHero and his post "Don't stand behind people"

#2 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:17 AM

Agreed!

I run my AC/40 Jager, it is unfortunately funny when some idiot blames me for hitting them, even though I didn't move.

#3 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:31 AM

How else am I supposed to steal your kills?

#4 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

Now I'm going to have create a counter thread called "It's not always someone else's fault".

Sometimes, the person crossing your sights is doing so because they have nowhere else to go. Sometimes they're just careless. Sometimes they're getting rocked by missile fire and laser fire and can't see out of one side of their cockpit. Whatever the reason, you cannot berate them for a lack of situational awareness if you yourself lack that same awareness; that they are crossing your line of fire, as well as lacking the firing discipline to take your finger off the trigger for a second.

Edited by Harathan, 17 April 2014 - 07:40 AM.

#5 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

If somebody crosses your line of fire like 20-30m in front of you when you are zoomed its one thing. But when somebody does it like 80m+, its totally your fault. There is plenty of time to see a friendly coming into your cone of view.

#6 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

View PostWerewolf486, on 17 April 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

That's it.

There's no major epiphany in this, just stop walking in front of your teammate when they set up a firing line. I have lost count how many times I have the target lined up, zoomed in, haven't moved in a minute or two while I waited for the shot and when I pull the trigger BAM right in front of me some fool just caught my alpha across their mech. You'd think this is a common sense thing but, guess what? It's not! Not blocking your teammates shot is actually very beneficial to you! It lets him shred the enemy without shredding you! Later that damage you sustained walking in front will come back to haunt you and that blocked shot could cost you the match.

Well, there you have it an easy tip that will help you live longer and not the enemy!

Don't say I never gave you anything either!

Inspired by RiotHero and his post "Don't stand behind people"

I have no adequate words to describe how much I have to agree.
Its just an effin pain in the *** especially for assault pilots who pilot REAL assault mechs.
Not those jokes tuned to run above 70kph but the real thing with alphas above 55 and speed below 60 as it should be.
Catapult running past you with near to 80 kph and you where charging your gauss....BÄÄÄÄÄÄMMM
2xERPPC, 1 Gauss 2xERLARGE LASER right where its hurts the most. :lol:
And then those guys start to rant.
Jumping mediums are even worse. Those guys even think they are clever when they jump over you from behind landing right in front of you. :huh:

Guys. If you see an Assault mech: Guard his back, don't leave him alone and dont walk in front.
Be thankfull hes there because leveling assaults is just awful this days. A skilled maxed out assault can be you corner stone and your safe spot to retreat to. Remember he won't run away. But he will most likely provide a withering cover fire if you have to retreat and you ask him nicely.

Edit: And there is just ABSOLUTELY NO excuse to step into someones line of fire if your friendly mech is inside your field of view. There are MANY situations where you CANT hold fire.
For those guys posting learn to play on this I have to say one single word:
DIE

Edited by The Basilisk, 17 April 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#7 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

We must be getting another wave of new players passing through. All the basic "common sense" threads are poping up again;

Don't walk in front of team mates
Don't stand behind team mates working a corner
Don't shoot yourself in the knee, etc.

Noob seasons suck, but the worst will be gone just as quick as they came.

#8 Hellen Wheels

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

View Postsneeking, on 17 April 2014 - 07:41 AM, said:

we got don't stand behind don't walk in front threads here, so where should I walk where should I stand and ( most importantly) when should we shoot ?

Posted Image

See also, Fire & Movement http://en.wikipedia....re_and_Movement

Bounding Overwatch http://en.wikipedia....nding_overwatch

These and other S&Ts are just as effective with mechs in MWO, when executed properly.

Edited by Hellen Wheels, 17 April 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#9 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

To be fair, there are absolutely exceptions. Perhaps change the advice to:

"Don't walk directly in front of me in a straight line blocking my shots. Also, if you're crossing my lane of fire, please don't do so within 50m of me if you can help it, or you risk soaking up my fire because I don't have time to react."

The best place to "support" an assault mech is to the side. Whether that's behind, at the same advancing line or in FRONT (I'd argue to the side and in front...but I like playing a direct-fire flanker).

Don't conga line, advance in such a manner that you provide multiple targets to the enemy at once to prevent one guy from taking all the fire and dying instantly.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 17 April 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#10 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

View Postsneeking, on 17 April 2014 - 07:41 AM, said:

we got don't stand behind don't walk in front threads here, so where should I walk where should I stand and ( most importantly) when should we shoot ?

Well whatever you do, don't split up.

#11 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

The easiest way to shoot someone's back out is to play zoomed in all the time. Your field of view shrinks, and you do not see the area directly in front of your mech that your arm shots pass. This is common on the Jagermech, for example. Yes, the pilot crossing your line of fire should be prepared to eat an alpha. However, you can prevent a large number of those accidents by zooming the **** out every now and then, and also checking your fire.

#12 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 17 April 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

Catapult running past you with near to 80 kph and you where charging your gauss....BÄÄÄÄÄÄMMM

You could, you know, just NOT fire? Or are you as incapable a pilot as you're claiming is in the Catapult?

#13 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

Don't be so focused on your target you can't watch what's going on around you.

That's it

There's no major epiphany in this, just stop Shooting without looking what's coming in front of your cross hair. I have lost count how many times I have the target lined up, zoomed in, haven't moved in a minute or two while I waited for the shot and Just before I pull the trigger BAM right in front of me some fool just Made me wait for a few seconds. You'd think this is a common sense thing but, guess what? It's not! Not shooting your teammates is actually very beneficial to you! It lets him shred the enemy without talking damage! Later that damage you caused will come back to haunt you and that blocked shot could cost you the match.

Don't say I never gave you anything!

#14 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

I'd agree with you to a point, but there's a couple exceptions.
  • In your description, you talk about "I have the target lined up, zoomed in, haven't moved in a minute or two..." Okay - I get this is exaggeration (or at least I hope it is), but if I see a mech just sitting there, not shooting, just watching the show, and I can get a shot at the enemy, I'll move to take that shot.

The reason I'm doing this isn't to steal your kill or mess up your shot, but because my 3-4 volleys from my ERLLs are more useful than your "seconds ticking by of nothing." Granted, you may be able to Alpha someone up for 30 points of pinpoint fire, but if you're the only one taking shots, your team is doomed anyways - everyone has to shoot.

• If a teammate is getting unloaded on, and I'm in a bigger mech, I'll step between them and the oncoming fire to give them a second or two of reprieve to a.) stop the constant screen-shake blindness, and b.) get a second to get their bearings and find cover. Yes, sometimes I get an alpha to the back from a panicked teammate, but usually the mechs I do this in can take it (once) and almost always it keeps that teammate alive for another minute or two.

Edited by Dawnstealer, 17 April 2014 - 09:32 AM.

#15 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

heh this happened to me the other day.. I was walking very slowly towards the drop down road that leads to the tunnel on Crimson.. (you know if you are coming from the east starting spot)

I lined up my AC-20 on the target right below me, which i had locked in target.. and then a spider comes flying from behind, and JJ's right in front of me as i pull the trigger... POP! killed him in one shot...

He laughed, i said sorry, as he knew it wasn't my fault... but i still felt bad... I can say i have been guilty of this once or twice,, and gotten in the way as well.. But hey it is a good learning process..

and good advice..

#16 Hellen Wheels

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

Seems I recall that rule #1 in vehicular (or personal) movement in combat is:

NEVER traverse in front of another friendly vehicle's forward track / LOS. EVER.

Including Knight's Moves by flying spiders.

Easy to keep track of your friends' facing, by glancing at the satellite view down there.

Edited by Hellen Wheels, 17 April 2014 - 09:38 AM.

#17 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

View Postsneeking, on 17 April 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

spiders do very little walking,,, still seem to draw lots of friendly fire though...

This happens when you hug targets too much. Your friends unload at something big with a solid 30 alpha, you run into it, there goes your leg/arm/back. Your weapons do good damage at a certain distance, so when not needed specifically (e.g. vs PPCs or LRMs), you want to keep that distance.

#18 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

the opposite should be true too !

If I'm hugging a slow ass mech with rear torso stripped, and I'm firing 4MGs just leave it to me, there's no need to strip my back armor or worse killing me, I'm gonna kill in in no time.

but when I play the jagers for example if a light is Machine gunning someone close range I just leave it be, don't fire AC40 + Mlas ^_^

and I've had spider games where I take down 7-8 enemies(and with rear stripped it takes what?2-3 secs) and I'm about to die for friendly fire, but with the MGs I have to stay in that range !

other then that is all true ! and I noticed even more when taking a pause from ac5/uac5 on jager after nerf and playing a bit of ac20s.

Edited by fx8320, 17 April 2014 - 11:18 AM.

#19 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

Oh, right, I forgot that every Spider has the firepower of multiple heavy mechs, and it is obviously quicker to just let him troll with MGs.

#20 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

The other half of this is:

If you're in a situation where there's limited room for team mates to maneuver, try to make room for friendly passage behind you. If you're scraping the back wall of a passage you can't always fault someone for moving through in front of you. Basically, don't set up a firing line in a position that restricts your own team's movement.

( If you're positioned to retreat into cover there should be relatively little room to pass in front of you anyway. )

Edited by no one, 17 April 2014 - 11:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users