When Was The Last Time Anyone Saw A Quickdraw?

BattleMechs

89 replies to this topic

#41 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

View PostEcliptor, on 19 April 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

it makes me happy that your happiness is of no consequence to me or my friends and i will gladly take up a heavy spot with a quickdraw and have my friends take up heavies with theirs.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a game where this happened and you didn't automatically think "Man, we are ******." :)

#42 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

It's a shame that the quickdraw is so massive, and has such bad hitboxes. I feel like there is room for a fast, agile energy/missile mech at the lower end of the heavy spectrum, but the Quickdraw definitely is not it.

It's funny, all the mechs that keep getting brought up in this thread as terrible are all overscaled, have abysmal hitboxes, or both. Awesome, Dragon, Quickdraw, Wolverine, Trebuchet, Thunderbolt. I mean, most of these mechs have problems other than the hitboxes too, but honestly, that is the one most important thing in MWO- you need good hitboxes or the mech is a dud. Hell, you even see people running Locusts despite the awful armor and weapons, and you never see any of the above listed mechs. It's a bad sign for the chassis when someone would rather pilot a Locust.

It all goes back to how the customization system is so flexible. When you have this much room to change things up, there is no reason to ever run a mech with suboptimal hitboxes. Why run an Awesome when you can take the same loadout in a Stalker, but not be gimped by terrible CT size? Same goes for every one of the other mechs in the list. The only one I have anything remotely good to say about it is that the Thunderbolt is surprisingly durable for its massive size- and this is because it has great hitboxes. Shame that it's overscaled, it'd be quite a mech otherwise.

#43 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

I run quickdraws occasionally, I like them actually. 3 large pulse lasers is fun. 2 ER PPCs and a std engine is alright. Ive got a brawler with 2 meds 2 large and 3 srm4 that rocks as long as more than one mech doesn't shoot at it. I used to run Trebuchets all the time. I still like them more than centurions. They are a very versatile chassis. The 7k with 2 ER LArge and an AC/10 is no joke. I did 1100 damage in it once. I also think commandos are hella fun, hard to build right, but I pulled over 500 damage in them in 3 matches (without using arty lol) using the 3A variant about 2 days ago. I call him the Unicycle Assassin. I will say I just bought a Wolverine 6k and it is SO AWFUL. I hear the other two are better. Its weird though the Wolv LOOKS like it would actually have a pretty small CT hitbox, so far test results are proving otherwise.
The Locust is a write-off no matter what.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 19 April 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#44 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

IDK, ani, I still know that our team has a better than average chance of losing when I see a Locust in the dropdec. There are a few good lolcust pilots out there, but very few.

#45 Jin Ma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

View PostFoxfire, on 19 April 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

Shouldn't be that surprising since the TT doesn't care about size and this game didn't account the different game style when they kept the upscale sizing on certain mechs.

its so much easier to get legged in an oversized mech. your legs are the same size as a highlander's but you can carry much less armor for that leg

#46 Oriius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

I still see the odd quickdraw here and there, though indeed they are not all that common. I also must admit the times I do see them on the opposing team I do try when possible to focus on them.

The mech I miss seeing most is the trebuchet, way back when srms were viable still and we had weight matching I used to love going one on one with a Trebuchet in my Cent.

#47 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

Trebs were popular for pop-tarting for a time as well, but that pretty much died when we got the Shadowhawk

#48 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

View PostDavers, on 19 April 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

Wouldn't it be nice to have a game where this happened and you didn't automatically think "Man, we are ******." :)

well if you are in an elo group as low as i am then you can play and win with the quickdraws. they obviously aren't my best mechs but i do well with them and have a positive kdr and average around 500 dmg. but i don't play them in any form of serious competition nor are they meta by any means, just a fun fast mech that i think looks really cool...other then the legs, man does that ***** have some gams or what?

#49 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

What's a quickdraw?

#50 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

QKD is probbaly my alongside the Orion...

Can't wait for the QKD hero (coming soon.... :))

#51 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

View PostFaith McCarron, on 19 April 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

IDK, ani, I still know that our team has a better than average chance of losing when I see a Locust in the dropdec. There are a few good lolcust pilots out there, but very few.

Not saying the Locust is better than the duds we're talking about in this thread; but the fact that people are willing to pilot it when they won't pilot these mechs should say something. It's not that the Locust isn't bad, but it's fair; any other 20 ton mech is going to be just as bad. The Quickdraw, Treb, Awesome, etc., are mechs that should do quite well, yet they're awful beyond belief. There's nothing inherently wrong with the mechs here except scaling and hitboxes, whereas I don't think it's possible to make a 20 tonner that's not going to be terrible.

#52 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

You know... I think I see more Awesomes than I do Quickdraws.
I see at least one Awesome once a week short of me being on a drunk bender and getting my Not Awesomes out to inflict misery on myself and my team mates.

In the last six months I have seen exactly 2 quickdraws.
The first time I was in my 5N dragon (which is stuck fighting in my Heavy ELO level which is my highest ELO. It does decent once I remember that it' s fragile as all balls and stay out of direct fire lines), and I came on a nearly fresh quickdraw when I was already half dead and about to lose my big cannon arm.

I wasted the Quickdraw without much issue at all (It was on Terra Therma).

The second time I saw one was yesterday actually. I'm not sure what was going on, maybe someone had a drunk bender of their own going like I do from time to time get a wild hair with an Awesome and take it to battle. He died like you think he would.

Most rare mechs for me: Locust, Commando, Kentaro, Trebuchet. Quickdraw.
Rare Mechs: Awesome, Dragon.
Uncommon: Banshee, Orion

Edited by Mavairo, 19 April 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#53 Foxfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

Truth be told.. I think I've averaged ~1 QD sighting a night. Wolverines are the same.. The only mechs that I can't say that I see much of are the Trebuchets and Kintaros... with the Trebs being more rare.

Edited by Foxfire, 19 April 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#54 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

I have all 3, I like em, I have too many mechs, can't play them all. :)

#55 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 April 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Mech I see the least is the Trebuchet. In fact, it's so rare, I think half the players forget they exist.

Except Paul. :)

View Postaniviron, on 19 April 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

Not saying the Locust is better than the duds we're talking about in this thread; but the fact that people are willing to pilot it when they won't pilot these mechs should say something. It's not that the Locust isn't bad, but it's fair; any other 20 ton mech is going to be just as bad. The Quickdraw, Treb, Awesome, etc., are mechs that should do quite well, yet they're awful beyond belief. There's nothing inherently wrong with the mechs here except scaling and hitboxes, whereas I don't think it's possible to make a 20 tonner that's not going to be terrible.

If there's a heavy mech tourney, I'll pull it out (or maybe the Tbolt, but the Thunderbolt-9S is making me eat my own words right now). To some degree, it's a lot like having a skill to meta ratio going on. You can put a meta build on a Quickdraw, but you'll be damned if you put a casual player in them, and see them die to horrible deaths.

I mean, I can go explain all the negatives about the most common "unseen" mechs (I mean, those that are in "hibernation"/deep freeze), but it's not like PGI will ever properly address them in a reasonable manner...

#56 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 19 April 2014 - 10:23 PM, said:

If there's a heavy mech tourney, I'll pull it out (or maybe the Tbolt, but the Thunderbolt-9S is making me eat my own words right now). To some degree, it's a lot like having a skill to meta ratio going on. You can put a meta build on a Quickdraw, but you'll be damned if you put a casual player in them, and see them die to horrible deaths.

I mean, I can go explain all the negatives about the most common "unseen" mechs (I mean, those that are in "hibernation"/deep freeze), but it's not like PGI will ever properly address them in a reasonable manner...

Last I heard one of the next two champions is going to be a Quickdraw. We'll see just what casual players in Quickdraws looks like soon enough. I actually quite like the TDR, but not having it elited is awful, thing moves like all the myomers are coated in molasses.

I am with you on that, though. It's too bad, because really all any of them need is hitbox passes or just straight up being scaled down by a few percent; I know the hitbox stuff is a bit involved, but what about the sizes?

While I know that even if, say, the Awesome were suddenly cured of its ailing hitboxes overnight it would still be straight up inferior to the Victor and Stalker, but at least it would have some kind of niche as an assault with great torso twist and mediocre everything else.

#57 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

View Postcrossflip, on 19 April 2014 - 12:38 AM, said:

Before the latest free mech (awesomeness) I've hardly ever seen a thunderbolt.

There fixed it for you.

Quickdraws?!? I think you must mean Dragon Slayers... now those are rare.

#58 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

View Postaniviron, on 19 April 2014 - 10:33 PM, said:

Last I heard one of the next two champions is going to be a Quickdraw. We'll see just what casual players in Quickdraws looks like soon enough. I actually quite like the TDR, but not having it elited is awful, thing moves like all the myomers are coated in molasses.

I would not mind trolling them with the Quickdraw-5K. :)

The TDR is "solid", but for many players and options, it's actually unimpressive. Making the 5SS run kinda like a slight mini-Awesome+ is actually a fun proposition for me. I am also reminded why the 5S was a terrible creation and also why the 9SE's best build (for me) was better replicated by the Griffin-1S.

I am with you on that, though. It's too bad, because really all any of them need is hitbox passes or just straight up being scaled down by a few percent; I know the hitbox stuff is a bit involved, but what about the sizes?

I know you can't make everyone happy... on the other hand.. making it USABLE for the game is technically of an utmost importance. That's what makes it maddening as PGI probably hasn't really learned from the Kintaro hitboxes debacle. If you build the mechs "right from the start", you'll get better results... and better sales as a result. What's so hard to grasp about that? It must be some lostech idea.

While I know that even if, say, the Awesome were suddenly cured of its ailing hitboxes overnight it would still be straight up inferior to the Victor and Stalker, but at least it would have some kind of niche as an assault with great torso twist and mediocre everything else.

You would need a miracle for that. I still think even after the massive torso twist nerf that the Victor is still better than the Awesome.

Edited by Deathlike, 19 April 2014 - 10:55 PM.

#59 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:34 PM

Saw one yesterday. Was like "omg what is this huuuuuuge destroyer of worlds, new superheavy 150t mech or what?" . Then i got target lock and realized it was a Quickdraw.
Dropped in 5 seconds or something like that, using my tongue to control the mouse. Was a bit too large to miss it.

On a more serious note, when i saw this Quickdraw i really didn't know what mech it is for a few seconds, because i haven't seen one for such a long time. After a realized it was i quickdraw, i was once again in disbelief how massiv those mechs are, considering they are just 60t.
It gave the quickdraw pilot a few seconds more because i was just sitting there, staring at this huge, bulky mech. Sadly, the frame of an assault mech doesn't help once your enemy realizes you don't have assault mech armor

Edited by meteorol, 19 April 2014 - 11:34 PM.

#60 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:11 AM

Seen about seven QKDs tonight so far...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users