Thinking Of Buying A Protector

21 replies to this topic

#1 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

So, I've been away for the game for awhile. A lot of things have changed. A lot of new Mechs have been added to the game (including the Orion). I see that the Protector is going on sale in a couple of days, so that got me thinking.

What do you guys think about the Protector and the Orion in general? It's the only 75 ton Heavy Mech in the game at the moment (they are adding my favorite 75 ton Mech in the near future hopefully, you probably know what I'm talking about). How well does it fit in the game against other Heavy mechs or Assault mechs? Is the Protector a good buy? Or should I be more interested in the regular Orions? Should I even care about the Orions at all?

#2 orion0117

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 126 posts
  • LocationAbyssal Netz

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

They're OK... I hoped for a bit more at 75 tons.

Worth it at 1/2 off go for it if you're ever buying MC. As always I recommend trying the C-bill variant of your choice first for free.

Weakness IMO is side and center torso hitboxes are not good. I hesitate to say it's better than the Cataphract at 5 tons less.

The *BLEEP* (should/Could) stomp it at the same weight.

#3 Picone

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 51 posts
  • Locationqld, australia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:32 AM

Sale is.. tomorrow, I think?

I ******* love the protector man. Haven't had a crack at the other variants yet but I will do in the near future if only to elite my protector. The mech doesn't look very good on paper but for some reason I found it just works really well, can't put my finger on why. The hard points lead to some interesting builds. I've gone through a few. I tried the AC20 and PPC build, packs quite a punch.. My current loadout's a bit quirky.. STD300 engine, 1xLRM20+A, 2xLLAS, 2xMG, 1xFlamer. Basically the 2xLLAS do all the work, I use the LRM20+A to soften them up as I close in on them and shakes them a bit so they're not hitting me (200-500m). Then if its an assault I'm fighting I basically just run close rings around them with 2xMG and flamer. Protector's surprisingly agile.

#4 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:54 AM

You will have to love playing brawer or direct support if you are planning on getting an Orion.
Im currently working on unlocking Master for my Protector.

The main weapon point for Orion are place low in the waist area, except for one of the missile point on the shoulder and the energy in the left shoulder. These two are good for sniping or LRM before you get into brawling range.

Most of the time you cannot effectively use cover and still bring all your fire power to bare, as you need to be in the open or expose from the hip up.

PROTECTOR
Im running a pretty standard brawler build, with AC/20 w 4t ammo, 2x ASRM4 w 2t ammo, and 2x ML.
Move with another heavy or assault and focus fire on a target, the target will crumble quickly and lets you and your buddy to shot up another target.

#5 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did end up purchasing a Protector as well as an ON1-K. Still haven't decided what my third Orion will be, but I don't have nearly the C-Bills to worry about that right now, plus I've still got 2 Orions to build and gain XP with for the time being.

#6 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

Nice purchase darkterror, you should be having quite a bit of fun with that one and the extra 30% c-bills are always nice.

I've been playing mine since the last time it was on sale at 35% off and though there are plenty of fun builds for the mech here's my favorite.

Rigel the Protector

Plenty of long range punch from the PPCs and the LLas, with the SRMs for when a mech gets up in your face. XL isn't ideal but my ON1-K already runs a STD/AC20 build so I wanted to do something different.

#7 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

Probably not what many here would run but currently I been running my Protector like this in a support type role.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...acb4d046a5f3ebc

I tried some other builds like LL with LBX10's or ac20. Dunno why but it was just not working well for me sometimes. My problem was always lights, they had been tearing me up in the Orion (only basics done on it).

Probably will change it up again, this works fairly well but you can do that same build probably better on other chassis.

Edited by DarthPeanut, 23 April 2014 - 06:26 AM.

#8 ramp4ge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

I bought the ON1-V when it was 50% off and was disappointed with it.

Lack of hardpoints, lack of tonnage on those few hardpoints, and fragile. I'm running mine with 2 MLs, an AC/5, an AC/2 and 2 RM4s. Stock 300 engine, as many heatsyncs and as much ammo as I can store.

The problem is, you will lose left and right torso almost immediately every single time, for some reason. And it's super-easy to core. It's like the armor is paper. Paper that weighs 75 tons. It doesn't make any sense. The Thunderbolt is 65 tons and feels much better protected and much more survivable with more usable tonnage and more hardpoints. And it was free.

Orion's a cool-looking 'Mech, I just haven't had any luck with mine.

Also, the hardpoints, except the missile hardpoint, at least on the 1-V, are waist-height and it makes terrain trolling impossible.

Edited by ramp4ge, 23 April 2014 - 07:30 AM.

#9 Gadrean

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:24 PM

I have recently come back to the game after a time away and bought the Protector as i noticed it was on half price.

I bought it primarily as a cheap chassis to get all my basics on so I could master my ON1-K. But i fell in love with it the first time I took it for a spin and now its without a doubt the variant I'll keep. I still use pretty much the stock layout for it, I swapped in an ER-PPC and after I've got my third Orion variant will look at upgrading to Endo, adding an AMS and swapping the SRM4+A to an SRM6+A, but thats about it for now.

I find that it works best as a support mech for the assaults. As soon as the assaults engage I move in behind them slapping target mechs with the Gauss and PPC, usually destroying a few arms/torso's. Then when they get closer they are usually softened up enough to finish with the SRM4's and ML's. Its short range armaments are usually enough to scare of any lights buzzing around or a well placed shot with the PPC.

Orions do feel like they are made out of cardboard alot of the time, if i get caught in the open or singled out it can be a painful and short lived experience but it looks fantastic and always gives me a smile to play. Overall, to me at least I think the Protector feels good stock and with a few minor tweaks could perform really well.

#10 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:23 AM

Dual LB 10x - 2 srm 4 - 200 srm ammo - 3 medium lasers - 14 doubles - 60.6 kph with a standard engine and 416 armour
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...268817b623eacb6

Be mindfull that sometimes a SRM blast will do more damage then 3 medium lasers at shortrange if your near overheating and i used to dual lb 10x on the other orion varaint and even with the speed i found i could still do well

even if a torso gets taken out it has ample firepower in each torso

however you will have to drop a srm 4 if you want another tonn of lb 10x ammo - free slots are at 0 in that build

Edited by kesuga7, 24 April 2014 - 12:26 AM.

#11 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:17 AM

Went back to my STD 300, 2x LL, 1x ERLL, and 1x AC20 setup last night. Had a couple decent matches with it, 2 and 3 kills. Will leave it alone again for a while. Down side is it is runs a little hot (only about 31% heat efficient) so you have to chain and group fire the lasers.

Edited by DarthPeanut, 24 April 2014 - 04:17 AM.

#12 Clogsman

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

This is what I use, engages well at almost any range.

PROTECTOR

Edited by Soladrin, 26 April 2014 - 07:41 AM.

#13 Panzerjotun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

Here is my build: STONEWALL

Effective at all stages of the game.

Early game: TAG and rain with LRMs.

Mid game: Use remainng LRMs and liberal use of LLs.

Late game: You should still be well armored. Join the brawl for cleanup.

Build theory

Lrm20: The protector gets all 20 tubes
LL: Good pinpoint damage in arms
Srm4: Good little brawl backup for additional punch
MG: Free crits and constant stream of brawl damage

Edited by Panzerjotun, 28 April 2014 - 07:10 AM.

#14 Maverick27

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:12 AM

Love the protector. I use a LRM 20, 3x MPL and AC10 combo to great success.

#15 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

Mines a support beast 2x ERLL 2x ART LRM15

#16 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

View Postdarkkterror, on 22 April 2014 - 02:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did end up purchasing a Protector as well as an ON1-K. Still haven't decided what my third Orion will be, but I don't have nearly the C-Bills to worry about that right now, plus I've still got 2 Orions to build and gain XP with for the time being.

I'd recommend the ON1-VA. It's a great indirect support mech (2xLRM15 2xLRM10 1 or 2 ML) with an XL 300 or 295, and about 2000+ LRM missiles. Get a lock on something, and fire until they stop moving.

#17 Hasliy

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:49 PM

Agree with IraqiWalker, the VA is a great LRM mech. i am making it a LRM build..very fun. Not so the Protector....it has versatile loadouts but it feels kinda flimsy ..as compared to a jag or a catph. i bought the protector for the extra cbills boost...but ended up using my jag and catph heroes..and the orion VA for LRM...thats fun. And...with a jag or catph...theres a good chance you can kill that light... not so with a protector.

#18 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

I really like my Protecter in a brawler config with the stock engine, 2 med lasers, 1 large pulse laser and an ac 20 with max armor. It really shines after you get the 2x bonuses.

I have 2 set ups for my VA. One is 4 lrm 5's, an ac 20 and 2 medium lasers. This works well as a fire support mech during the early part of the match, that can have a decent punch in the late game brawls. My other set up with this I'm hoping will work better with the SRM fixes coming down the pike. I run 2 SRM 6's, 2 SRM 4's, 2 medium lasers, and an ac 20. When everything hits a 70 pt alpha is nothing to shake a stick at...

I like to run my K as an all rounder with a LRM 15, 4 medium lasers and an ac 10 with the stock engine. Can be useful at all stages of the game if played carefully and with the 4 arm mounted lasers lights should beware of coming leg amputations.

I still want to get the M and V models just to play with, but that will have to wait for now. Cheers!

#19 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

PROTECTOR-Fire+Suppression

Have over 400k exp in this mech, been mastered with it a week after it was released. This is my best performing build.

PROTECTOR-Brawler

#20 Johnny Two Legs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

Love the Orion, moreso the Protector.
When first released with the buggy/large centre torso, they weren't so good.
The last 6 months or so, for me, has seen a renaissance in using them.

This loadout works well for me:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d026201ce31dc44

It's great for targetted damage - I hang with a slow-ish assault like a highlander/atlas usually. If I'm the heaviest in an area I will move forward if I have support, otherwise I let the Phracts/Jagers move forward to strip the armour then hit them with the AC20/LPL combo.
As I have a STD engine and two big weapons either side, I am not really fussed if one torso goes missing. Also, I find the Orion benefits well from judicious torso twisting.
<p class="mech-bar-stats" style="color: rgb(221, 221, 221); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(25, 25, 25);"><p class="mech-stats-stats">
  • Engine (150-360) [color=#FFFFFF]STD ENGINE 300[/color]
  • Speed [color=#FFFFFF]64.8 kph[/color] [color=#FFFFFF]71.3 kph[/color]
  • Heatsinks [color=#FFFFFF]13[/color]
Armaments<p class="mech-stats-weapons">
  • AC/20 [color=#FFFFFF]1[/color]
  • MEDIUM LASER [color=#FFFFFF]2[/color]
  • LRG PULSE LASER [color=#FFFFFF]1[/color]
  • AMS [color=#FFFFFF]1[/color]
Ammunition
  • AC/20 AMMO [color=#FFFFFF]28[/color]
  • AMS AMMO [color=#FFFFFF]1000[/color]
<p class="mech-bar-upgrades" style="color: rgb(221, 221, 221); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(25, 25, 25);">Upgrades
  • Armor
    Standard Ferro-Fibrous

• Structure
    Standard Endo-Steel

• Heatsinks
    Single Double

• Guidance
    Standard Artemis IV

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users