Gameplay General

322 replies to this topic

#21 Duncan Longwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:45 PM

I drop solo because it is too much of a hassle to find a group for no additional reward. Without CW, there is nothing in the game that requires you to team up. I figured that finding a group to drop with would just expedite me getting burned-out on the game. With no in-game goal to keep a group together I knew that I would just have an greyed-out list of friends and a whole lot of burnt-out white-knights trying to get the remaining team-members to hold on a while longer for CW.

Unfortunately, it looks like PGI wants to kill teamplay before they introduce a reason to teamplay. Their negative stance toward teams is killing my interest in the game faster than the delays of CW.

And if everyone is dropping solo and there is no plans on a solo-queue... blech... too burned out on MWO and PGI to think they will ever do anything other that quote statistics that support their view, even if the stats don't actually support their view.

It's a crowd-funded game not a marketing research funded game. Yet they insist on using market-research stats to figure out what direction to take the game? Stats told everyone in the video game business that the game shouldn't be made at all, but the crowd said otherwise.... so now that we are funded, let's make a stats-driven game and tell the crowd they don't know what they are talking about. Idiocy.

As long as I'm ranting... Where the hell are my faction loyalty bonuses that came with my phoenix mechs? Oh, wait... they must have forgotten what people paid them for... Seems like a consistent trend from PGI. It'll be 2015 before they start working on what a Warhorn does and by then they will be selling the next mech pack.

#22 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

I drop solo because community features ingame are too anemic to meet, connect, and form a group organically through ingame interactions, either through general chat lobbies, or pre- or postgame lobbies.

#23 Screech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

Drop solo to keep things somewhat interesting though still need to inject month-long breaks in order to keep pace with development.

#24 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

No particular offence intended with this:

I drop solo because I'm abrasive and don't get on with people in voice that often.
Second reason being that I end up in TS/vent with 'Muricans, not aimed as an attack on the "decent" Americans..it's the minority that turn all YeeHaw F YEAH MUUURICA when there's more than 3 together.
It annoys me more than I can stand and the times I play they're all that I have available usually.

Dropping solo into a pug I don't have to talk with apart from passing on basic text info works for me.

#25 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

I drop solo as a warm up. By the time I'm done with my warm up drop, someone has popped their head into the "looking for group" channel and asked me to join em.

#26 Relic1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationDying at the end of your cheese build!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

I don't drop solo....

#27 Girth Fillmore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 174 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

I drop solo because if Duncan Longwood and I were ever on TS together the world would implode from the awesomeness.

Mainly I drop solo if:
my primary dropbuddies aren't online
there are full 4-player groups and I try to synch
I'm too high to engage in conversation and play at the same time
I'm feeling anti-social
I want to get in a game or two during the intermission of a hockey game
I don't want to annoy my wife any more than I usually do
*edit to add: in order to complete the solo challenges

Edited by Girth Fillmore, 21 April 2014 - 04:03 PM.

#28 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:34 PM

*I drop SOLO because I am an INTROVERT SOCIOPATH With no human skills, that smells like cheesewiz and URINE.
*I drop solo because I realize my obnoxious behavior and constant quoting of Monty Pythons the Holy Grail isn't getting my girls or team mates "But I just can't Stop!"
*I drop Solo because I think I am Kobe Bryant and team games are not really meant for team players
*I drop solo so I can ***** about Pre-Mades kicking my butt
*I drop solo because I sound like I got kicked in the nuts and nobody needs to know
*I drop solo because I sound like a perv with my heavy breathing
*I drop solo because guys like Prop will rip into me for chewing over the mic
*I drop solo because Big stompy robots turn me on waaay to much.
*I drop solo so I can saaay wooot look at what I did. Yeah not much
*I drop solo because people fear my superior tactics in turn based games. Oh wait this isn't a turn based game.

Edited by PropagandaWar, 21 April 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#29 Primez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

I drop solo for a few reasons listed below.

1. Only playing 5 matches for the challenge. To want to waste time trying to form a group for such a short period of gaming seems senseless.
2. Could not get any of my friends to play after the cbill nerf.
3. There is no real point on me to play regularly since the cbill gains are so low.

Yea I don't think I could ever try to get my friends to come back after ui2.0 and the ongoing cbill nerf. So it is what it is.

It's a shame too because out of my group of 5 friends on teamspeak they drop money on free to plays. One friend is probably up to 600 dollars in league of legends while the others hover over 280. Lets not even mention dota 2 or apb or plenty of the other games that they burn money on.

#30 R5D4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

IF I drop solo it's usually because:
1) It's a PGI solo only event (still very irritated over this for the Hunt the DEV events :D)
2) I'm getting in a few practice rounds before my group shows up
3) I'm trying out a new/stupid build for kicks
4) No one I know is on TS/TS is empty, so I'm waiting for people to show up
5) There are 5 of us in single bay on TS and we're rotating out players so that people don't have to drop solo all the time (though usually we just end up splitting into a 2 man and a 3 man)
6) There are 13+ of us and we are rotating out players for 12 man drops (doesn't happen very often anymore :unsure:)
Edit: 7) I'm trying to sync with NGNG so i can shoot Phil in the back :)
8) Someone pressed the summon button (aka launch button) and I got into channel just as they dropped into a match

Edited by R5D4, 21 April 2014 - 02:45 PM.

#31 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

I am Roadbeer, and I drop solo because:

The group I'm about to join JUST dropped as I entered the channel and I'm waiting to join with them after they complete their drop.

That's it.

#32 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

PGI isn't doing much to buck my theory that any and all game changes are made after huffing paint thinner. Ok so their changing the game because they've noticed more people are dropping solo.....after all they've done to make team dropping a pain.

#33 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

When I try to solo drop most of times I fail to find match, unless I take light and that is just because im waiting for group. For me dropping solo isnt fun because you will stuck in ELO when your team will be new guys trying to learn something, so maybe after launch module solo dropping will be more interesting ;P

#34 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:53 PM

I do not always drop solo, but when I do it is because I prefer not to group.
84%

#35 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

I drop solo... because... I use video games to unwind and relax from the day. Telling me that i have to play a certain way(Grouping) to relax makes me play different games that allow me to relax. Not everyone cares about being the most competetive they can be, some actually do play just for fun, strange right?

#36 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 21 April 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

I do not always drop solo, but when I do it is because I prefer not to group.
84%

I'd like to know more about why you prefer not to group to help isolate reasons for dropping solo, since this thread is all about finding reasons that people drop solo.

View PostRonyn, on 21 April 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

I drop solo... because... I use video games to unwind and relax from the day. Telling me that i have to play a certain way(Grouping) to relax makes me play different games that allow me to relax. Not everyone cares about being the most competetive they can be, some actually do play just for fun, strange right?

Ronyn I appreciate your feelings, but that's not relevant to this thread, this thread is not about telling people to play any way, but rather about people telling WHY they play the way they play, solo drops.
For me, I prefer to play in a group most of the time, but I volunteered reasons I solo drop, therefore skewing a statistic that PGI is using to restrict my ability to play the game the way I do, but then again this thread isn't about telling anyone they have to play a certain way, as you state.

#37 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

I drop solo because:

- Most MWO players are fat-garbled neckbeards or squeaky-voiced girlie men and I don't want to listen to your Eric Cartman/Fran Drescher voices while I heroically pilot my stompy robot.

- I don't want to faff around for 1/2 hour in some cyber equivalent of a locker room looking for homies to group up with just to drop into a 15 minute match on shitty arse Terra Therma.

View PostRonyn, on 21 April 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

Well put. One of the best reasons for dropping solo. It doesn't get MORE relevant than this.

Edited by Hillslam, 21 April 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#38 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

I solo because it doesn't require third party down loads. (viop)

Neither do I like to to be isolated from my family by a set of headphones and a mic which most teams require, or have to turn up at such a time to 'train' or have to deal with a faction leaders clicky friends and his snotty spoiled brother, endlessly swearing into the mic.

My experiences faction leaders wife close friends all take the top place regardless that they couldn't guide a truck into a reversing bay, because they are his friends, while the extra's fill up the places, being excluded because there are no rl connections..

i've gamed since original everquest karnak expansion and over and over this has happend so I just solo in pretty much everything now

Edited by Cathy, 21 April 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#39 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

Wow, some serious misconceptions about group play going on here.

#40 Jonathan Paine

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

When I drop solo it is because:
1. I was once again dumb enough to opt into a tournament (mental note to self: only play in team based tournies!)
2. Free stuff for dropping solo!
3. Because we have a 4-man going that is working well, and I don't wont to mess that up by going 3 & 2 instead
4. I want to test out a completely ridiculous load out and.... who am I kidding, my group loves that stuff!

So yeah, I am lucky enough to be with a group that isn't hot on meta and that is good at accepting that real life (at least at times) trump MWO and I don't have to pug very often these days.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users