• 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:36 PM

So ... some of the things people are complaining about the most as of late are:

Pinpoint convergence
Pop-sniping
LRMs

Now. I won't get into the finer points of these topics but rather make a suggestion to passively entice people to shy away from these somewhat.

How?

By the introduction of one (or more) maps to add to the random rotation.

Caverns.

You are fighting underground ... either in a large cave network (either natural or more likely man-made) ... or in an actual underground facility.

Because of the low ceiling clearance, pop-sniping will be impossible, and LRMs will simply smash harmlessly into the ceiling. Brawling and maneuvering is the order of the day on that map.

You can still bring a LRM-boat from Hades, or a pop-snipe build ... but just have to bear in mind it comes at the risk (1/14 chance) that you will be somewhat or totally neutered from the get go.

Just an incentive for people to get into brawler mechs a bit and to take a balanced loadout if we had maps like this.

#2 BoloJoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 333 posts
  • LocationSt. Ives, Capital Apocalypse Lancers Compact

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:54 AM

I really like the idea of a map designed for brawling, This will force player to build more balanced mechs (a pure lrm boat would be a death trap).

I would like to see a Caverns/Underground City or a Underwater City.

A large map with both team starting on the outside with the opportunity to choose from multiple entrances (add some variety to game play). There might be larger areas where lrms will work but these need multiple entrances so teams don't turtle.

#3 Sauce Tomate

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 32 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

Tukayyid for when the clans are released.

Edited by Sauce Tomate, 15 May 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#4 Boscoe

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

Great Vid Sauce. Whatever we do we should have the near impossible destructible environment discussion. Oh... wait... they had destructible environments when this was running on 486s back in 1995. see below.

http://youtu.be/TJF5z_Kd2Eo

Edited by jBosc0e, 15 May 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#5 BloodOmen

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:46 PM

Well a Thunder Rift Map would be awesome !

#6 BoloJoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 333 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:46 AM

How about a Starport map? With a large landing field with wrecked and burning DropShips for cover (love to see the iconic Union-class DropShip in the game!). Conquest mode could even have control points that make strategic sense - Landind Field, Command Center, Repair Facility, Communication Array and Fuel Depot. Could even be easily converted into 3 maps - Temperate, Cold and Hot environments. This would fit in nicely with the universe since Starports would be a prime target for any planetary assault.

#7 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:21 AM

About map suggestions see the link on my signature and share your ideas.

Hopefully PGI will read them and use some on their next maps.

#8 Ljusdahl

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:30 AM

View Posttopgun505, on 12 May 2014 - 08:36 PM, said:

You can still bring a LRM-boat from Hades, or a pop-snipe build ... but just have to bear in mind it comes at the risk (1/14 chance) that you will be somewhat or totally neutered from the get go.

Just an incentive for people to get into brawler mechs a bit and to take a balanced loadout if we had maps like this.

I love the idea of underground themes, but a small chance of crippling penalty? It sounds to me like incentives for:
  • LRM-boats to quit whenever the map comes up. Frustration for everyone else.
  • Players to make bland all-round builds and not use the build diversity to the fullest. Frustration in restriction.
  • Players who refuse to do neither of the above to stop playing out of frustration, or to endure the occasional underground map in frustration because a part of your arsenal is worthless.
  • Players with small LRM backup to give it up completely in favor of loadouts that will work on all maps.

A mega cave-themed map could be able to be balanced in moderate favor against LRM's while remaining true to its theme, but an underground installation? It would lack vertical gameplay and become very two-dimentional. It would render poptarting useless, but also JJ's in general. Air Strike, Artillery Strike and UAV would have to be disabled in both cases, which may or may not be wanted. 3PV drones may not work smoothly, and we know how PGI loves their 3PV drones.
I think that an underground installation map would only work if most of the map was made up of outdoor areas, with the option of going into the installation. I'd love to see both as maps, and some of the other suggestions in this thread.

#9 Troggy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

Urban combat is desperately missing. River city is hardly even a town.

I would like to see a true metropolis downtown or inner-city urban map. Or both.

1) Perhaps a sparkling downtown of a rich city, with all the mega-towers, elevated railways, parks and broad boulevards (for direct fire and LRMs) of a future New York, London, Sydney, Tokyo or Toronto. A grand city. Something worth fighting for.

2) On the flipside, maybe a decrepit old inner city of a planet past its prime, yet forever contested...with lots of blind alleys, ambush points and the wreckage of past wars. A crowded, hot, dirty, place where sneakiness and ambushes are the name of the game, but where buildings are short enough to allow LRM rain and direct fire from above, if the players are willing to take the risk. No open areas, just a vast slum.
--
Troggy

#10 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostLjusdahl, on 19 May 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

I love the idea of underground themes, but a small chance of crippling penalty? It sounds to me like incentives for:
  • LRM-boats to quit whenever the map comes up. Frustration for everyone else.
  • Players to make bland all-round builds and not use the build diversity to the fullest. Frustration in restriction.
  • Players who refuse to do neither of the above to stop playing out of frustration, or to endure the occasional underground map in frustration because a part of your arsenal is worthless.
  • Players with small LRM backup to give it up completely in favor of loadouts that will work on all maps.
A mega cave-themed map could be able to be balanced in moderate favor against LRM's while remaining true to its theme, but an underground installation? It would lack vertical gameplay and become very two-dimentional. It would render poptarting useless, but also JJ's in general. Air Strike, Artillery Strike and UAV would have to be disabled in both cases, which may or may not be wanted. 3PV drones may not work smoothly, and we know how PGI loves their 3PV drones.

I think that an underground installation map would only work if most of the map was made up of outdoor areas, with the option of going into the installation. I'd love to see both as maps, and some of the other suggestions in this thread.

• The map should have a few caverns (or one main cavern) big enough for LRMs to still be functional. What would be really cool in the future for MWO is if you could pick your mech to launch in after the map has been chosen in a lobby. Might even be an incentive for people to make ($$$ buy $$$) more builds and mechbays to have a more variable palette of mechs for all map types.
  • Airstrikes and Artillery unavailable? Fine with me. That's what some people would call a challenge, not a nerf.
  • I would gladly play this map over Terra Therma, even if a friendly LRM boat and some support LRMs abilities were hindered whilst not in aforementioned large caverns.

Edited by xeromynd, 19 May 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#11 BoloJoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:11 AM

Honk if you want a Starport map!

#12 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:13 AM

First i want to reread the statement why user generated content is not allowed.

However the Missions of MW2 and MW3 and MW4 are full of interesting maps.

Would be really interesting to fight "dungeon" - jump jets won't help you kid. hardly place to maneuver - lots of choke points - a do or die map - pure brawling.

so with this map as an option 60% of players have to fear it when it shows up in the map rotation.

Maybe you can add a second route on the open.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 21 May 2014 - 05:16 AM.

#13 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

I want a winter daytime Terra Therma. And a really dark and hot Alpine. And a daytime HPG.

There, three new maps with little dev effort.

#14 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

Unless PGI finds a way to sell maps and game modes for MC I wouldn't count on them introducing any more of them.

#15 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 481 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

HPG is daytime. It gets a helluva lot of light from the near star etc and iz not in shadow. Sky is black cause it is space, on a moon with no atmosphere to diffuse and defract the light, including the blue wavelengths of light which is what makes the sky blue on a planet like earth. So, simply put the black sky does not equal night on HPG. Night would be pitch black, cold and illumination woupd likely be the stars alone, perhaps some light reflecting off of other satellites/moons.

#16 BoloJoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

Thumbs up to Troggy's idea of a Metropolis and/or Urban Sprawl map......we definitely need more urban maps!

#17 Habu55

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:56 PM

One of my fav maps from the MW3 days was a underground cavern map. The name of it slips my mind at the moment, but it is a great map idea for the current game. SRM boats would make up for the lack of LRM boats in a caavern or underground environment.

#18 BoloJoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 333 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:07 AM

Honk!

#19 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

I don't like the idea of a map totally neutralizing a playstyle, especially one as common as LRMs. That's not to say that making it situational would be bad though. Caverns where LRMs usually don't work (like under the CS platform and under HPG) interconnected by a large joining cavern where it an be business as usual....

#20 draimond

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

I really like the concept of an underground map but. How bad is the visibility in the tunnel at forest colony..

How about we kill two ravens with one stone.

Add subterranean maps AND make them exclusive to a Brawler game Mode!
This keeps the LRM's from DC'ing if these maps were to come up in skirmish.

Posted Image
(The water is supposed to be flowing down further into the ground on the right. no its not going to turn into a fish bowl after 10 mins. although that would make the 15 min match time make sense.)

Make them small with a maze tunnels that lead to open, high ceiling ares etc. with good lighting.. or none! pure nigh vision and awesome laser visuals in the dark.
Something that Riddick would loose his **** over. dark spots to hide in, light shafts coming down through the top. Varied terrain heights, underground water an waterfalls.

Include some existing maps with closer or more central spawn points too.

Edited by draimond, 27 May 2014 - 03:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users