Can We Have To Old Ui Back?

165 replies to this topic

#1 Space Odin

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

or at least an option to use the old UI?

The old UI was also bad but still better than the new one. I think that says a lot.

#2 Dymlos2003

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

View PostSpace Odin, on 18 May 2014 - 04:47 PM, said:

or at least an option to use the old UI?

The old UI was also bad but still better than the new one. I think that says a lot.

It does say a lot... about you.

#3 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:51 PM

I find that the old UI was more user friendly.

#4 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

View PostWolfways, on 18 May 2014 - 04:51 PM, said:

I find that the old UI was more user friendly.

It had a wee bit more details. Other than that it lagged for 5 or more seconds every time you select a mech or new tab. Rather have 1 more click than that.

#5 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

View PostDymlos2003, on 18 May 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

It had a wee bit more details. Other than that it lagged for 5 or more seconds every time you select a mech or new tab. Rather have 1 more click than that.

I never experienced any lag.

#6 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

View PostDymlos2003, on 18 May 2014 - 04:47 PM, said:

It does say a lot... about you.

Yeah, it says that he recognizes how terrible the new UI is.

#7 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

View PostWolfways, on 18 May 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

I never experienced any lag.

Hahaha... sorry but it was there. We were used to it. That was the one of the things I noticed with UI 2.0 no damn lag.

View PostRoland, on 18 May 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

Yeah, it says that he recognizes how terrible the new UI is.

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. Just the same whiners every day.

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:59 PM

UI 1.0 sucked but UI 2.0 sucks more. I would rather have UI3.0, done right, like smurfys.

#9 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

View PostDymlos2003, on 18 May 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

Hahaha... sorry but it was there. We were used to it. That was the one of the things I noticed with UI 2.0 no damn lag.

You mean like when you save a mech with the new UI and it takes forever then tells you it failed?

#10 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

The old UI was causing coding problems and slowing down progress and releases. Though the new UI may seem "less functional" to us players, from my understanding, it is "more functional" to the game developers, letting them get more releases out faster and smoother. (Unless something breaks... as was the case with 3/3/3/3...)

#11 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

View PostWolfways, on 18 May 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

You mean like when you save a mech with the new UI and it takes forever then tells you it failed?

Old one occationally would kick me out of the game when I tried to save a mech (very very very rarely). Then, it wouldn't save after I rebooted the game back up and I had to remake the mech again.

UI1.5 also had a problem where, if I was logged out due to inactivity or I logged out with closing the game completely and restarting, if I signed back into the game I would lose all my graphics settings and would be playing with (at the time) graphic settings that were trying to fry (figuratively, maybe literally) my computer (and I'd have to change them all in game as quick as I could, with a 10 or less FPS)... This happened every time. No exceptions. Constantly. New UI2.0 does not suffer from this bug for me.

#12 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

View PostTesunie, on 18 May 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

The old UI was causing coding problems and slowing down progress and releases. Though the new UI may seem "less functional" to us players, from my understanding, it is "more functional" to the game developers, letting them get more releases out faster and smoother. (Unless something breaks... as was the case with 3/3/3/3...)

What exactly has UI 2.0 helped them get out the door so far?

#13 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostLostdragon, on 18 May 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Uh they were able to focus on the launch module and CW. Soooo yes that bottleneck is gone. UI 2.0 is what caused all those delays of you guys most wanted features.

#14 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

View PostTesunie, on 18 May 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Old one occationally would kick me out of the game when I tried to save a mech (very very very rarely). Then, it wouldn't save after I rebooted the game back up and I had to remake the mech again.

UI1.5 also had a problem where, if I was logged out due to inactivity or I logged out with closing the game completely and restarting, if I signed back into the game I would lose all my graphics settings and would be playing with (at the time) graphic settings that were trying to fry (figuratively, maybe literally) my computer (and I'd have to change them all in game as quick as I could, with a 10 or less FPS)... This happened every time. No exceptions. Constantly. New UI2.0 does not suffer from this bug for me.

There's so much variety in PC's that people will always have different issues with software. I find UI2 much less user friendly and it refuses to save the weapon configurations on one of my mechs for some reason.

#15 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

View PostDymlos2003, on 18 May 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

No, it really is as terrible as people make it out to be.
As other folks have tried to explain to you, this isn't really just a matter of opinion. It's MEASURABLY TERRIBLE, using very fundamental metrics that are extremely well defined within the field of user interface design.

The fact that you don't recognize such things merely shows that you don't really understand anything about user interface design... although it also means that you are hilarious in your fanboydom because even people who don't understand anything about how to design a user interface at least are able to recognize a bad one, unless their experience with user interfaces is limited in the extreme.

#16 Ecrof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

Click click click click clickClick click click click clickClick click click click clickClick click click click clickClick click click click clickClick click click click clickClick click click click clickClick click click click clickClick click click click clickClick click click click clickClick click click click clickClick click click click clickClick click click click clickClick click click click clickClick click click click click

#17 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

View PostRoland, on 18 May 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

No, it really is as terrible as people make it out to be.
As other folks have tried to explain to you, this isn't really just a matter of opinion. It's MEASURABLY TERRIBLE, using very fundamental metrics that are extremely well defined within the field of user interface design.

The fact that you don't recognize such things merely shows that you don't really understand anything about user interface design... although it also means that you are hilarious in your fanboydom because even people who don't understand anything about how to design a user interface at least are able to recognize a bad one, unless their experience with user interfaces is limited in the extreme.

Fanboyism? Just because I don't ***** and moan about everything doesn't mean I'm a fanboy. It works just fine for me. Could there be improvement sure but it's "badness" is overly exaggerated by people.

Funny thing is everyone who just ******* and moans about this stuff is either has a UI designer degree or is a Game Dev. Well I'm a game dev as well. Infact everyone is! *cough* *cough* You can just search up about UI design and say "Oh I know how to make UIs" Which I am sure a lot of you just did.

This UI is so simple that I'm perplexed that people are confused by it. Are they dumb or just ignorant?

Edited by Dymlos2003, 18 May 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#18 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

View PostLostdragon, on 18 May 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Well, upon UI2.0 release, we got a few new things into the game. It has also permitted PGI to, instead of having to revert completely to an older patch, they could just turn off the faulty pieces of MM that was causing the problems. It also is letting them have the servers down less often for maintenance and "sales" , as well as is making their coding jobs easier, as they use to, from what I heard, have to double code things for the game to work. once for the interface, once for the game itself. If there was a problem in the game, they had to then check the two sets of coding to see where the problem may be.

I am no game designer or coder, but UI does actually have a lot of benefits that came with it, as well as a lot of "bad" changes. I wont say UI2.0 is "great" as it can still use a lot of work, but it isn't too bad either.

#19 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

View PostDymlos2003, on 18 May 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

Uh they were able to focus on the launch module and CW. Soooo yes that bottleneck is gone. UI 2.0 is what caused all those delays of you guys most wanted features.

Launch module has definitely been awesome so far and CW is freaking great! I get that they had to make changes in order to move forward, but dear god, how could they have possibly thought that what they put out as UI 2.0 is acceptable?

#20 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

View PostWolfways, on 18 May 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

There's so much variety in PC's that people will always have different issues with software. I find UI2 much less user friendly and it refuses to save the weapon configurations on one of my mechs for some reason.

True... And that sounds like a bug. Did you submit a ticket to support about it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users