26 replies to this topic

#1 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:08 AM

Just read this article and though it does not impact MWO at this time, it might affect other new games. Just throwing it out there for thoughts. It is the age old argument, private license vs. GPL.

http://www.forbes.co...ming-ecosystem/

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

AMD are sore that no one cared about mantle.

#3 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

Whatever it turns out, closed source is always bad for the general public when it comes to software development. It's all about money and the greed therein.

#4 BARBAR0SSA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

I think vassago has one of the stupidest remarks I've seen. Gameworks is terrible, there had to be a watchdogs day one patch! AMD somehow managed to outdo nVidia in performance as well which is baffling(going by hardocp and actual in game performance).

#5 CuriousCabbitBlue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 228 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

http://www.forbes.co...and-watch-dogs/

eh we'll see what happens

#6 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

View Postshad0w4life, on 30 May 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

I think vassago has one of the stupidest remarks I've seen. Gameworks is terrible, there had to be a watchdogs day one patch! AMD somehow managed to outdo nVidia in performance as well which is baffling(going by hardocp and actual in game performance).

It's like saying TXAA and physX are ruining videogames. AMD are really mad that no one cared about their attempt to monopolize graphics, so obviously it's an evil plot by nvidia.

Little inferior graffics guys should stick to making xboxes and gamecubes.

#7 Maverick2k9

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

This like the "cold War" of graphics card manufacturers.

Poor AMD are really getting the squeeze from both sides, Intel and Nvidia. Still the question is what are they going to do about it, develop a code to counteract or improve performance, or (as Nvida would like) pull out of the gaming graphics market.

#8 Shinzok

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts
  • LocationRaamsdonksveer, The Netherlands.

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:36 PM

Nvidia would not want AMD to leave the gaming graphics market. Neither would intel.

It would actually be a giant blow to the industry if this would happen. Cause you need compeditors (sorry for my bad english) else the market is gonna stagnate and will ultimately kill itself because of that.

#9 Zuesacoatl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:38 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 30 May 2014 - 07:39 PM, said:

It's like saying TXAA and physX are ruining videogames. AMD are really mad that no one cared about their attempt to monopolize graphics, so obviously it's an evil plot by nvidia.

Little inferior graffics guys should stick to making xboxes and gamecubes.

LAWL... go fan boy somewhere else. AMD has the better cards on the market with the R series of cards. The only cards that beat them out are the new Titan Z for 4gs, other than that, if you look at even horrible comparisons, in matched price points, AMD owns the majority of the matches. Even Toms Hardware, who is pro Nvidia, gives the most match-ups to the R series cards because they beat Nvidia out of price, and performance.

As for no one caring about Mantle....Just ask Chris Roberts why he felt it worthy of bringing its use to his game and announcing it at every single outing he has been to recently?

#10 Hydrocarbon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 659 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:15 PM

I won't give 2 hoots as long as MWO gets crossfire working soon.

Actually that points out obfuscated code can suck for everyeone. It sucks to have a 2nd card you can't always use. When you need one of each brand (can never use the 2nd at the same time), it REALLY sucks.

One more thing regarding that game - nearly all games I've played I've ***always*** placed FPS above AA/AF/etc. The only high-quality slide show I deal with certainly isn't game-orientated, anyways. *blush*

#11 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

View PostZuesacoatl, on 30 May 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

LAWL... go fan boy somewhere else. AMD has the better cards on the market with the R series of cards. The only cards that beat them out are the new Titan Z for 4gs, other than that, if you look at even horrible comparisons, in matched price points, AMD owns the majority of the matches. Even Toms Hardware, who is pro Nvidia, gives the most match-ups to the R series cards because they beat Nvidia out of price, and performance.

As for no one caring about Mantle....Just ask Chris Roberts why he felt it worthy of bringing its use to his game and announcing it at every single outing he has been to recently?

I don't think gamers really care about performance for dollars so much as performance per slot in your PC.

#12 FORGE88

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPimpville

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:43 PM

Nvidia FTW, but yeah as someone else mentioned it would be great to have full use on this game of SLI also crossfire

#13 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:02 PM

I've only seen Watchdogs on consoles but it looks like ass. Maybe the fps issues are just from a poorly ported console game?

View PostShinzok, on 30 May 2014 - 08:36 PM, said:

Nvidia would not want AMD to leave the gaming graphics market. Neither would intel.

It would actually be a giant blow to the industry if this would happen. Cause you need compeditors (sorry for my bad english) else the market is gonna stagnate and will ultimately kill itself because of that.

Yes it would be horrible for your only competition to fold and leave you in total control of the market forcing game makers to focus solely on optimizing their code for your chips which you release in a slow measured fashion allowing you to milk every cent out of the world's gamer population until the end of time....

Edited by Sug, 30 May 2014 - 10:06 PM.

#14 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:43 PM

View PostSug, on 30 May 2014 - 10:02 PM, said:

Yes it would be horrible for your only competition to fold and leave you in total control of the market forcing game makers to focus solely on optimizing their code for your chips which you release in a slow measured fashion allowing you to milk every cent out of the world's gamer population until the end of time....

That's why the article says it would be bad for gaming as a whole.

#15 Himmelganger

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGFFA

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:46 PM

Neither Intel or Nvidia, want AMD to fold, two words: anti-trust.

#16 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:32 AM

View PostHimmelganger, on 30 May 2014 - 11:46 PM, said:

Neither Intel or Nvidia, want AMD to fold, two words: anti-trust.

What nVidia are doing with Gameworks is exactly what anti-trust would be concerned about.

#17 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:28 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 30 May 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

I don't think gamers really care about performance for dollars so much as performance per slot in your PC.

So true.

Price/Performance is a stat for people on a budget.

Otherwise you spend for what gives you the performance you want.

#18 Hawker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:03 AM

hmmm.. well I am a AMD/ATI fanboi I guess since I can pretty much afford whatever I want in my PC and well I go with AMD. It looks better to me than what Nvidia puts out. Personal preference.

#19 Cael-Rhythyr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 188 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:05 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 30 May 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

Lol, not everyone here was born with a silver spoon up their a@# like *cough (Vassago Rain) *cough. I bet if he squeezed his butt cheeks hard enough he could tell us what pattern of silverware it is from.......

#20 Thanatos676

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:51 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 30 May 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

AMD are sore that no one cared about mantle.

This sums it up...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users