21 replies to this topic

#1 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

Today is a good day to be a new player, isn't it? For the first time ever there are 12 trial mechs and they are all champion builds.

Of course, this means that now is a good time for experienced players to step up with guides for them.

Got some feedback? Experience to share? Lets funnel it into here for a little one stop shop.

Please use spoiler tags for guides (feel free to bold print their titles to get attention) because guides do tend to run long or pack in the videos, screenshots and bandwidth.

I'll begin. The following are indirect guides; they are more using the trial mechs and giving feedback and tips while playing.

Spider.
Spoiler

Cicada.
Spoiler

Dragon.
Spoiler

Stalker.
Spoiler

Centurion.
Spoiler

Seems that's all I had. Most other trial mech vids I have are before champions existed.

I hope this post and other upcoming posts to this thread will help new players with this much larger selection of trial mechs. :P Welcome to Mechwarrior Online.

#2 Raigner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fang
  • The Fang
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAlabama, USA

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:19 PM

thank you kon, intensely entertaining as usual.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

*Sniffles.* Those new invading "Clan" flags look cool. >.> *Pokes his Liao flag.* Why aren't you cool looking?

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

View PostKoniving, on 03 June 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Why aren't you cool looking?

It is - but it is an entirely different aesthetic. :P

Is it sad that I am not looking forward to seeing all 12 being available?

The very thought of even more fragile Stalkers being on the field.... ;)

#5 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

View PostKoniving, on 03 June 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

*Sniffles.* Those new invading "Clan" flags look cool. >.> *Pokes his Liao flag.* Why aren't you cool looking?

Because it's Liao? :P

Once the "new shiny" of the clan tags is off, I'm pretty sure I'll like the IS ones better, actually. Just can't wait until CW is real enough for that to be yellow and black...

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

Missile boat deterrence. Player tries one, immediately thinks missile boats suck, doesn't use them. Fragile it may be, impressive it can also be (but the skill required to run it is far higher than most LRM boats which are nearly skill-less).

#7 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Yeah - but during the whole time it was the trial (and after as well) I kept seeing people trying to brawl or otherwise closer quarters fighting with XL engine in Stalkers.... /shudderofdooooom

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 03 June 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

Yeah - but during the whole time it was the trial (and after as well) I kept seeing people trying to brawl or otherwise closer quarters fighting with XL engine in Stalkers.... /shudderofdooooom

Sounds like you should write a guide on how to be effective in them! :P

#9 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

View PostKoniving, on 03 June 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

Sounds like you should write a guide on how to be effective in them! :P

Dude, I'm still saving up for my 2nd Orion - 2nd Stalker is a ways off yet. ;)

Far as I am considered, XL Stalker is another name for Locust Lunch.

By the way - no loyalty to Liao?
(surprised me to see the change!)

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

I'm a mercenary. The Clans invaded.
Then because of PGI, I realized they had money. :P Since they probably magically use cbills instead of being virtually alien to us with a culture that completely lost concept of money.

#11 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

I dont think they lost the concept of money - they did have a merchant caste after all

#12 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

From the "For what it's worth Dept."

The trial STK a couple of months ago was the only trial mech I had any degree of success in when I started playing. Was the only mech I managed over 100 damage with, often, and I've been missing it for a while...

#13 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

View PostVotanin FleshRender, on 03 June 2014 - 02:36 PM, said:

From the "For what it's worth Dept."

It is a very potent chassis - a LOT of firepower.

You can learn a lot from it:
Positioning...
Heat Management...
Damage Spread...

Downside is that it is the most fragile Assault mech I have ever fought.
Couple an XL engine with slow speed and heat issues (4 LRM15 that due to tube issues are almost guaranteed to trigger GH even on chainfire.....)

I have seen a lot of people do very well with it - unfortunately a lot of those people turn around and assume that an XL on a Stalker is alright..... in close combat.
(where the limited torso twist and low speed denies you as much ability to spread damage)

As for you in it - I dropped with you driving it, and you did fairly well with it.....

Doesn't make it a not-awkward chassis though
(^ one of my better CN9 builds - not one most people could use well)

#14 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and copy/paste what I had before if I could find stuff.

Spider: This is a pure scout, you should use JJs (space bar by default), cap points and snipe at opponents from afar, use MGs as a crit seeker (but careful, the MGs are similar to lasers despite their animations, once you shoot with your MGs damage is inflicted, also try not to shoot your own team by accident, I've had a couple teamkills by accident with this), and watch for leg damage, these are your most vulnerable spots in this mech. I suggest grouping ER Large Laser with group 1 and all MGs group 2.

Cicada: Once again another pure scout, but this one depends on lasers. It goes the exact same speed as the Spider above, but loses JJs to trade for durability and damage dealing. Always torso twist to avoid damage and place into arms instead of a torso, and zig zag similarly to the Spider. Alpha only if you think the heat limit can sustain the heat and to do a killing blow (press \ for firing all med lasers), and I suggest grouping lasers in twos for each torso section.

Dragon: This is far different from the other two scouts and the missile boat. You should be sniping from afar with gauss and lasers. Put your gauss arm away from the enemy as if it blows up your torso near it might blow up soon as well, which results in a death. Gauss requires charging before firing, which you must hold it long enough until the marker turns green before firing. Holding it too short or too long results in the charge dissipating. Always torso twist to soak damage with your arms and avoid strikes to your torsos. Unlock your arms, you need this badly for this mech or your gonna have a tough time. And never be in the front of the line or you will end up being killed quickly.

Quick link here to 627's guide on the Stalker: http://mwomercs.com/...ou-stalker-3fc/

Edit: Found more of my own and other's tips on how to run trial mechs here: http://mwomercs.com/...l-mech-reviews/

(I know it's long, but it took me a really long time to find this, don't know how long ago I wrote this as well and it's pretty up to date, needs the Firestarter, Orion, and the new Shadow Hawk now, which I can update sooner or later. Hope I helped. :P )

Edit 2: The Firestarter, Orion, and Shadow Hawk updated now.

Edited by luxebo, 04 June 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#15 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

Updated my large post, but instead I think I'll split the trial guide on the mechs up. I'll leave all the previous material up (links of previous guides and older references). The list of trials and how to use them will be down here now I think just to not take up so much space with one post.

SDR-5K(C): This is a light scout mech. Use ER LL to snipe from a long distance, but when seeing a cored torso/part of a mech and close enough range, use MGs to fire at them. Remember, they are just like lasers, ignore the MG pallets. Also, always keep forward, and torso twist to survive and not lose the torso. Not a terrible mech overall but there’s better. Best grouping of weapons is ER LL group 1 MGs group 2.

JR7-F(C): This is a light skirmisher gunboat mech. Use ML at the 500 or less range, but use SL if you are starting to heat too much. Go around toward those that are separated, as you can quickly pick off any of the enemies. Group 1 would be ML; group 2 would be SL. JJs will save you and you can maneuver fast. Make sure you constantly move and also protect your CT front and back, as the Jenner’s CT is slightly larger than normal.

FS9-S(C): This is a light skirmisher gunboat mech. Use ML at the 500 or less range similar to the Jenner. Group one should be your zombie laser, while your two other arms should get one group per set of lasers. Make sure to constantly move and use JJs and tons of torso twist. Unlike most other light mechs you can actually use the arms as shields (although fragile shields). Also, always stick with other mechs in the team in order to give AMS support. This will also remove vulnerabilities to SSRM chain fire, which some mechs use.

CDA-2A(C): This is a light skirmisher gunboat mech. Very similar to the Jenner, it has more ML now and they’re in the torsos. Use the arms, as pure shields to protect you, XL again so don’t stand still and always keep moving. Also, group your ML into 2s between each torso so when you get heated, shoot 2 MLs at a time and don’t overheat.

BJ-1(C): This is a medium jump brawler mech. JJs and torso twist is everything on this mech. Aim up and down on the AC20 and don’t ever miss with the AC20. ML are your backup weapons when you finish your ammo. JJ everywhere and groups will be group 1 ML group 2 AC20. Very friendly mech when you know how to use it.

HBK-4P(C): This is a medium brawler mech. It’s very hot, but if you can group the lasers properly, you can possibly destroy the enemy quickly at knife fights. The groupings of this will be group 1 for 2 of the arm lasers, group 2 with head laser along with 2 other lasers, group 3 and 4 with more lasers. This will allow you to fire 7 lasers in different time periods from the hunch, and use those as the main force. Your arm lasers will be secondary. As always, torso twist and always use your left side as a shield and your right side as the main knife fighting tool. It’s strong, but you need torso twist.

CN9-A(C): This is a medium brawler mech. This mech relies all on the zombie ability. You should always use your arms to block and remember to protect your legs, as those are very easy to take off quickly. Use dead legs to protect your alive one, and use arms until you can’t, then use right torso, then left torso, as your SRMs are in your left torso. Missile bay door button is /, which is needed in order to fire SRMs faster. MPL should be group 1, and SRMs should be group 2. Once again, like the hunchie, you need torso twist.

KTO-18(C): This is a medium missile support mech. This mech relies on people spotting for him. Arms once again should be used as blockers and never remove your missile bay doors, as those are what protects your vulnerable center torso. The sides are also quite large and that is what makes this slightly harder to use than most of the other trials. One must be careful of where the mech is and not get himself stuck in a sticky situation. Final thing that is mandatory is that there should be a single group for MPL (group 1), a group 2 for all the missiles at once, and a group 3 for chain firing missiles. Only chain fire against a single non-ams target.

TBT-7M(C): This is a medium light hunter mech. I could only guess this mech would require supreme torso twisting and knowing how to lock your missiles. I would also guess that the largeness of this mech’s size will limit its combat effectiveness, so basically pick off very weak sideliners and LRM boats way in the back. At least this mech has some speed so it can hunt down little lights. Group 1 MPL, Group 2 PPC for long range, and Group 3 for SSRMs. When physically released to the public that aren’t going to buy it then I’ll see a better response to this mech.

SHD-2H(C): This is a medium sniper mech. This mech relies on severe amounts of jump jetting and sniping from afar, but really has weak points all over. Weak legs and arms make it easy to be disarmed. Make sure to torso twist and protect the torsos, as while some mechs (Hunchback trial, Atlas trial, etc) have a large spot open to hits, the ballistic hunch is capable of being taken out easily. Also, practice taking potshots and sniping from distances, although the slowness of this mech will limit it (and remember the 90 minimum range easily taken advantage of). Group 1 PPC, Group 2 chain fire the AC5s for screenshaking.

DRG-5N(C): This is a heavy sniper mech. Arms lock must be turned off with this mech, as you need it to aim with your gauss and LL. Gauss requires a charge, but don’t spend time charging it and picking a target, quickly push the fire button and let go quickly. Don’t let this arm blow up or you’d likely die to XL issue. Always torso twist, as if you don’t you might lose CT or the XL sides. Group 1 LL and group 2 Gauss.

QKD-4G(C): This is a heavy sniper mech. Speed is key to this guy, and torso twisting to not get focused down. ML arms should be used as shields and when enemies enter your 90 M minimum range of your PPCs, in which case you must leave that range. PPCs are in your torso, which works wonders. Sadly this mech didn’t come with XL, or the space would have been greater and same as speed, therefore you must be careful and torso twist to spread damage off your CT. Group 1 ML and group 2 PPCs.

CPLT-A1(C): This is a heavy fire support mech. This is better suited as a close support mech around 180m to 250m area is perfect. You need to get locks on people in order to be able to fire at people, and make sure you fire LRMs at long range up to 180m or the minimum range, don’t fire over 1000m, SSRMs when you get within 250m range. Also, be smart when to fire with LRMs, as you don’t want to hit a wall or mountain or something when firing the LRMs. Group 1 LRMs group 2 SSRMs. Push / for missile doors opening, as this will allow you to fire faster, but you can close them when needed.

CTF-3D(C): This is a heavy brawler mech. There is a nice shotgun and LL and ML. LL are solely for sniping and picking the weak, LBX is nice for heated engagements and needed cooling, ML only for picking on lights in a brawl. LBX is very spread so try to use it only in closer ranges, but it’s still very far in aiming. Group 1 ML, Group 2 LL, Group 3 LBX. While torso twisting isn’t always needed here, it’s best to do so. JJs can get you out of sticky situations, but they’re very weak in jumping.

ON1-K(C): This is a heavy brawler mech. This mech is armed with basically the same weaponry as the HGN-733C(C), which covers the same general tips on how to brawl and midrange engagements. Torso twist a ton as the Orion is less mobile than most mechs and quite tall too, allowing more shots to be spread. Remember SSRMs need locks to fire and only use them for light mechs around and close range brawls. Group 1 LL, Group 2 AC10, Group 3 SSRMs.

VTR-9S(C): This is an assault brawler mech. This mech requires the usability of JJs, as you need to use it to fire at enemies. Also, you need to use Ultras in chain fire, as this will allow you to shake the crud out of the enemy. This will allow you some leeway from jamming, but still isn’t perfect. The mech is a bit sluggish, but JJs should help a ton. SRMs only close range and same as MPL. Lastly, group 1 should be MPL, group 2 Ultras, and group 3 SRMs.

STK-3F(C): This is an assault fire support mech. You must push / for missile bay doors open as with Centurion and Catapult. Chain fire, I cannot express this enough, your missiles to get off ghost heat. This is extremely important, so you can suppress people with LRMs. Also, you have an XL engine, which is awkward, so you have to protect both torsos at all times. Remain in the back so you can survive longer, and use TAG so you can get locks at all times. Ask for assistance and defense and spotting. Group 1 with TAG, group 2 MLs, group 3 with chain fired LRMs.

HGN-733C(C): This is an assault brawler mech. You must rely on the strength of the torso twist and protect your laser and AC10. It can snipe well and is extremely powerful when you brawl and snipe in the middle range. Gain locks with the SSRMs and shoot them against lights and other mechs. When ER LL become too hot, use AC10 and SSRMs. Group 1 with ER LL, group 2 AC10, and group 3 SSRMs.

AS7-RS(C): This is an assault fire support mech. Gauss is nice to support against enemies and once again like the Dragon, it’s a strong tool to snipe against people and you need to protect that torso or you’d likely become cored. LRMs are your main tool to destroy enemies and you need to use that in order to do the most damage. Lasers are your backup. Group 1 for ML, group 2 Gauss, and group 3 LRMs.

Kit Fox Prime: This is a Clan light fire support mech. It’s very difficult to use properly, though can be with the extreme range of the weapons on such a light mech. The speed makes such a mech feel like a Medium, therefore it’s best to play this mech like a Medium. Group 1 for CERLL and CLBX5, and Group 2 for CSSRM4 and CERSML will be versatile enough.

Nova Prime: This is a Clan medium brawler. It’s even hotter than the above mentioned HBK-4P(C). This makes it quite difficult to use, though it now has JJs and no hunch. The issue without the hunch however is that it cannot fire as high as it should. Group 1 should be either 3 CERMLs or 6 CERMLs, and Group 2 should be 6 CERMLs or 3 again, with Group 3 and 4 as optional groups for 3 CERMLs combos.

Summoner Prime: This is a Clan heavy brawler. It’s a nice little combat mech very similar to that of the Cataphract. Fire your LRMs as a screenshaker or combat helper and the LBX PPC combo in order to split parts of mechs with your mech. It will crit many locations if used properly and it will be decently useful and not too hot to use. Group 1 PPC, Group 2 LBX, Group 3 LRMs.

Dire Wolf Prime: This is a Clan assault boating brawler. It’s very niche in usefulness and will be powerful if used correctly. However be prepared to be the ultimate target on the field and be prepared to lag behind others. Careful on your firing of weapons and this mech requires many groups to properly function. Group 1 MPL, Group 2 2x ER LL, Group 3 2x ER LL, Group 4 UAC5, Group 5 LRMs. Good luck piloting this stock.

Rank of the trials thus far:
Better and more user friendly trials: JR7-F(C), FS9-S(C), CDA-2A(C), BJ-1(C), CN9-A(C), CTF-3D(C),ON1-K(C), VTR-9S(C).
Good (not as good as those above though) trials: HBK-4P(C), DRG-5N(C), HGN-733C(C), and AS7-RS(C).
Decent trials: SDR-5K(C), TBT-7M(C), KTO-18(C), SHD-2H(C), QKD-4G(C), CPLT-A1(C), STK-3F(C).
Both Clan mechs are difficult to use, as stock Kit Fox is awkward in groupings and stock Nova is very hot. Summoner is neat and a good iconic mech. Dire Wolf... stock wise it's going to be a nightmare in terms of heat. Guessing that the TBT isn't going to be solid both physically and graded wise.

Edited by luxebo, 07 October 2014 - 03:50 PM.

#16 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

Bumping from a while, as Clan mechs are now in the trial rotation, and so is the Kintaro! :P

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:09 PM

Jumping in to check.
Neat. Clan Kitfox Prime and Clan Nova Prime are available.

Edited by Koniving, 26 August 2014 - 09:13 PM.

#18 Anassi

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:39 AM

If I'm not totally mistaken PGI removed the Jenner and Kintaro trial mechs from the rotation in favor of the Kit Fox and Nova.

#19 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:50 AM

Nova prime 3 wepaon categories:

Volley left arm
Volley right arm

chainfire left
chainfire right.

This way you can from cool state, volley both arms to prevetnt ghostheat and then continue firing single lasers to prevent overheating.
But without the mobility skills, I recommend "driveby" actions, Run between cover while unlaoding the two volleys, since its a bit slow to "cornerpop" the Nova unskilled.
Stay with the big guys in your group to pop into battle when the other mechs are distracted shooting at other things. or stay back and protect your LRM boats from lights. Lights are a nice target for the Nova.

Edited by Lily from animove, 27 August 2014 - 03:50 AM.

#20 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:31 PM

Updating the Quickdraw, cause I'm quick. B)

It's tough to use as it's not quite optimized, unlike other trials.

Recent updates are very promising, can't wait for Wave 2 of Clans and also King Crab and AS7-S/CN9-AH. AS7-S will be quite interesting and has a nice mix of weapons, and CN9-AH will also be neat. King Crab worries me a bit however, as next year might be the introduction to a King Crab trial of sorts, which will be quite devastating. :o Clans are more like faster raider -ish mechs to play around with, which is good.

Edited by luxebo, 15 September 2014 - 08:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users