#123 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 05 September 2014 - 01:56 AM, said:

the SC can still spam 8 LL, so its also superior to the HB. and why should you use lightlasers on the SC, you can simpyl use ML, and put in loads of DHS giving you the same Firepower with better heat management. Also the HBK has a way better torso twist friendly profille than the nova. you cna always hit a Noca's CT, of its turned to 90degree, a hunchbakc can not be hit in the CT if twisted right.
And on Alpine your 12 Lightlaser nova is quite pointless unless you opponent is not doing some stupid stuff. then you watch the scene happening on a mid range basis where the light lasers deal nearly no damage. Light lasers are extremely situational and rely on the unawareness of your opponent to let you get close. I also pulled of 4 kills and laods of damage on forest colony with 12 CERSL tc 7, 4mgs and lots of HS. But this wont work contsantly vs. decent players.
  • Why you gotta lie? The most energy points you can field in a Stormcrow is 7. You can't fit 12 ER smalls+4 MG+TC VII in a Nova.
  • There is no 'light laser' in the game. When I say light lasers, I'm not talking about a synonym for small laser. I'm talking about all low-tonnage lasers - ER smalls, ER mediums, small pulses. and in that category, range isn't that much of an issue. Last I checked, ER mediums still dealt damage out to just shy of a kilometer, and ER smalls had a 400 meter max range. Sure you don't want to be stuck with ER smalls on Alpine, but a stock Nova Prime can handle itself decently on that map.
  • As for the HBK comparison, while the HBK has better torso twist stats, that's because it absolutely needs them with the big bundle of firepower stuck in the right shoulder. The Nova has two bundles with more firepower in each arm - and the arms have better fields of fire than just the torso of the HBK.
  • Stormcrow has the SAME issue of still being able to hit the CT from the side as the Nova does.

This is again quite situational, because you need to get close to the opponent with your MG's and LB'x 2x. SC just slabs a tc7 on i because it can easily do this and still cna use the same laodout slab a lbx 10 to crit the hell out of your opponent way better.

LB2X optimum range: 900m. The spread is tight enough to shoot at that range too. Tell me again how I have to get close with these again?

Also, if you're going to use an LBX10+TC7, that's 17 tons before putting any ammo on, and both of those items have to go in the arms, because there isn't 7 crits worth of space in the side of the 'Crow. After throwing on a minimum of 2 tons of ammo, you're still worse at critting than the Nova with 2 LBX2's. Single LBX10 'Crow gets about 2 shots every 5 seconds. The double LBX2 Nova gets 7 shots in that time frame. 20 pellets at a 52.5% crit chance vs, 140 pellets at 47.88%. And the Nova can do it from further away.

Sorry, the Nova is clearly better at crit fishing.

what flexibility? it doesn't even have any Missile hardpoints. and it is hardly able to put 2 proper AK's on it. so most of the B points are stuck to MG's or AC2's. exepct from that you are stcuk to lasers. No idea how people can call this "flexibility. it is very unflexible compared to other clanmechs mechs Except the Adder maybe which has only a few Hardpoints.

Are you not actually reading my post and just leaping onto my word choice, or are you disputing the fact that the Nova has any flexibilty at all? I really can't tell. I'll adress the second point as if you're dong the first you're just trolling.

The Nova has a little flexibilty. Not much at all, but a little. It's mostly down to whether you want to knife fight or not. Knife fighting Nova is best Nova, but you can also take 8-10 ER mediums and do very well at mid to long range. You can easily make a bracket build Nova with 2 ER larges, 4 ER mediums and 4 ER smalls. If you really wanted to poptart instead of side peek, you can go with double PPC's.

yes another point why the nova will be gone when SC comes out, SC can do the nova better,

The Stormcrow is a better mech. But it cannot do what the Nova can. That has been my point the enitre time. You are clearly not listening, and I suspect you are living in some fantasyland in your head where TarComp 7's are 1 ton and 1 crit, and the Stormcrow has 8 energy hardpoints..

#124 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

Well, today, the Einsteins at PGI nerfed my Nova into m'eh status......a hunchback with jumpjets essentially, at three times the cost.

My ERclan lasers and that stage 5 module are now......mediocrity on two legs.

#125 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:21 AM

View PostDakkaface, on 05 September 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

• Why you gotta lie? The most energy points you can field in a Stormcrow is 7. You can't fit 12 ER smalls+4 MG+TC VII in a Nova.
  • There is no 'light laser' in the game. When I say light lasers, I'm not talking about a synonym for small laser. I'm talking about all low-tonnage lasers - ER smalls, ER mediums, small pulses. and in that category, range isn't that much of an issue. Last I checked, ER mediums still dealt damage out to just shy of a kilometer, and ER smalls had a 400 meter max range. Sure you don't want to be stuck with ER smalls on Alpine, but a stock Nova Prime can handle itself decently on that map.
  • As for the HBK comparison, while the HBK has better torso twist stats, that's because it absolutely needs them with the big bundle of firepower stuck in the right shoulder. The Nova has two bundles with more firepower in each arm - and the arms have better fields of fire than just the torso of the HBK.
  • Stormcrow has the SAME issue of still being able to hit the CT from the side as the Nova does.

LB2X optimum range: 900m. The spread is tight enough to shoot at that range too. Tell me again how I have to get close with these again?

Also, if you're going to use an LBX10+TC7, that's 17 tons before putting any ammo on, and both of those items have to go in the arms, because there isn't 7 crits worth of space in the side of the 'Crow. After throwing on a minimum of 2 tons of ammo, you're still worse at critting than the Nova with 2 LBX2's. Single LBX10 'Crow gets about 2 shots every 5 seconds. The double LBX2 Nova gets 7 shots in that time frame. 20 pellets at a 52.5% crit chance vs, 140 pellets at 47.88%. And the Nova can do it from further away.

Sorry, the Nova is clearly better at crit fishing.

Are you not actually reading my post and just leaping onto my word choice, or are you disputing the fact that the Nova has any flexibilty at all? I really can't tell. I'll adress the second point as if you're dong the first you're just trolling.

The Nova has a little flexibilty. Not much at all, but a little. It's mostly down to whether you want to knife fight or not. Knife fighting Nova is best Nova, but you can also take 8-10 ER mediums and do very well at mid to long range. You can easily make a bracket build Nova with 2 ER larges, 4 ER mediums and 4 ER smalls. If you really wanted to poptart instead of side peek, you can go with double PPC's.

The Stormcrow is a better mech. But it cannot do what the Nova can. That has been my point the enitre time. You are clearly not listening, and I suspect you are living in some fantasyland in your head where TarComp 7's are 1 ton and 1 crit, and the Stormcrow has 8 energy hardpoints..

ok, sry the 8 was a typo,

and ym Nova has a tc 6 2 MG 12 CERSL build, yes some things were wrong.

but still 2 LB x 2, the amount of pinpoint damage is horrible there and rarely worth it.

And the arms of the nova have better fields of fire? Well, they can make use of the unlocked arms, yes, but the novas arms hitboxes are the worst ingame since the nova is superwide.

SC has way better hitboxes AND can turn faster due to bigger engine. So you can hide your torso way faster.

And when we speak about a mech being useless? well how many Competitve groups use a Nova over SC?

#126 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:43 AM

I've been having some fun with my Nova Prime after the Nerf D-Day, switching to 2x2 CERMlas in the arms and 1 CERPPC in the right torso. It's great, because I'm so sick of being defenseless after losing the arms. I used to put a UAC5 in the torso, but it's just not doing enough damage in consistent fashion. Sometimes you pump out 100 rounds without jamming, other times it jams on the first shot. That's cool if you have backup-weapons or multiple UAC's, but.... the CER PPC is much nicer, for me.

And since we're stuck with all those DHS anyway, bigger energy weapons make more sense.

Edited by Nicolai Kabrinsky, 08 September 2014 - 01:43 AM.

#127 SirSlaughter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 370 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:51 AM

In fact I run the nova with 10 small lasers, 1 ERPPC in the torso (higher than the arms) and 2 MGs. It can even poptart

#128 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:26 AM

View PostNicolai Kabrinsky, on 08 September 2014 - 01:43 AM, said:

I've been having some fun with my Nova Prime after the Nerf D-Day, switching to 2x2 CERMlas in the arms and 1 CERPPC in the right torso. It's great, because I'm so sick of being defenseless after losing the arms. I used to put a UAC5 in the torso, but it's just not doing enough damage in consistent fashion. Sometimes you pump out 100 rounds without jamming, other times it jams on the first shot. That's cool if you have backup-weapons or multiple UAC's, but.... the CER PPC is much nicer, for me.

And since we're stuck with all those DHS anyway, bigger energy weapons make more sense.

View PostNicolai Kabrinsky, on 08 September 2014 - 01:43 AM, said:

for this loadout, it doesn't make sense to pilot a nova.

#129 Demon Horde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:36 AM

hardly useless. I got a nova prime , rocking 4 erMedlasers, 4 Ersmalllasers and 4 machine guns. It eats just about any mech you stick infront of it that is solo.

#130 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:04 AM

View PostDemon Horde, on 12 September 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

hardly useless. I got a nova prime , rocking 4 erMedlasers, 4 Ersmalllasers and 4 machine guns. It eats just about any mech you stick infront of it that is solo.

Any not clueless build and driven direwolf eats you in no time if you stick in front of it. And TW just needs a few shots more.

Edited by Lily from animove, 12 September 2014 - 05:05 AM.

#131 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:30 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 12 September 2014 - 02:04 AM, said:

Any not clueless build and driven direwolf eats you in no time if you stick in front of it. And TW just needs a few shots more.

You seem to be misunderstanding what he is saying. He's not saying "stay in front of the enemy", he's saying you can kill almost any enemy you should happen upon.

#132 The Mourning Star

• Pip
  • Chu-sa
  • 13 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

I like my nova-prime @ 6xerm 2xerl. But it was a bit of a shock going from a MW4 nova w/ 6xerl. If you could strip away the jump jets it might be possible to run a 6xerl nova in MWO, but the dragon will still look more like my old nova.

#133 Lysander Davion

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

6 M-pulse lasers and 4 mg work perfectly for me
the lasers on chainfire give a constant beam and the mg are good for crits

Edited by Lysander Davion, 19 September 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#134 Nechuchadnezar

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 31 posts
  • LocationWashington, PA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:44 PM

I love the idea of the 12 ERSm and quad MG's...going to try that or maybe try flipping in some sm pulse and ERmd.

I do love my Novas though.

My other variants are decked like this...
S: UAC10 and 5 ER Md. Lasers

B: UAC20 and 2 ER Md. Lasers

The S variant is nice, nice, nice...

View PostThe Mourning Star, on 18 September 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

I like my nova-prime @ 6xerm 2xerl. But it was a bit of a shock going from a MW4 nova w/ 6xerl. If you could strip away the jump jets it might be possible to run a 6xerl nova in MWO, but the dragon will still look more like my old nova.

That was the Supernova...difference mech altogether and either a 90 or 100 tonner

#135 Nechuchadnezar

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 31 posts
  • LocationWashington, PA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

So I literally just tried Nova Prime with 5 ERMdl and 5 SmPl and I ***** an Atlas...

#136 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:31 PM

Well I wouldn't call it useless but it isn't really a good mech. Yeah sometimes you can have great games in it just like you can have a great game in any mech, but overall it is pretty substandard. Honestly, it was the heat nerfs to most of the Clan lasers really put the kabash on the Nova. Prior to the nerfs I found it competitive, not while it has its moments, generally it is just meh at best. I think I went from around 450 average damage before the nerfs to 250 average damage after. My global average damage for all mechs is around 420 so yeah, pretty subpar now.

#137 Gorgo7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 19 September 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

Well I wouldn't call it useless but it isn't really a good mech. Yeah sometimes you can have great games in it just like you can have a great game in any mech, but overall it is pretty substandard. Honestly, it was the heat nerfs to most of the Clan lasers really put the kabash on the Nova. Prior to the nerfs I found it competitive, not while it has its moments, generally it is just meh at best. I think I went from around 450 average damage before the nerfs to 250 average damage after. My global average damage for all mechs is around 420 so yeah, pretty subpar now.

Wow, good scores! That Global average is very high.

I had been running my prime with 6 erml and 6 ersl with a mk.1 computer.
Now with the heat nerfs it is 6 erml and 4ersl no computer and two extra HS. Works well, far more damage potential then any other 50 ton machine I can find. Crab around corners, Assaults etc and work 'em over. My damage is very similar to the old build.

Edited by Gorgo7, 19 September 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#138 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:04 PM

the nova prime needs heat dissipation perks, even if its only for small/medium lasers. its almost impossible to take advantage of all the hardpoints. been running 6med 6small 20dhs and 4med 8small 22dhs and they are both meh.

my S is still viable although not as good as before with 6 er-mediums 4mgs and ams. i hated the B and sold it before the nerfs.

Edited by Fuggles, 19 September 2014 - 03:06 PM.

#139 TheSteelRhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 600 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:36 PM

Nova and summoner are huge disappointments. If I thought I could get a refund on my clan pack I would. But..I made the foolish decision to buy one.

Nova is very fragile, and does badly in a situation where hill humping is needed because it's a knuckle dragger..you have to expose almost your entire mech to get the arms to clear terrain. I kind of liked the prime with 2 ER ppcs prior to the ppc nerf. you could at least pop tart with it. Missile hardpoints MIGHT help

Summoner just doesn't have enough tonnage to work with due to all the fixed Heat sinks.

I've sold off all but my prime variants of the nova and Summoner...

I won't be buying any more clan mechs. I still like the game, but I just cannot put any more money those rotten mechs..It's a shame, especially after the saber reinforcement pack for the phoenix package.

#140 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:17 AM

View PostRhinehardt Ritter, on 26 September 2014 - 09:36 PM, said:

Nova and summoner are huge disappointments. If I thought I could get a refund on my clan pack I would. But..I made the foolish decision to buy one.

So, let me understand this right, because you didn't like two mechs out of the eight released in the pack, you'd want your money back and the whole thing was bad?

The nova I find is a mech best used to play corners, like the Hunchback. It isn't designed to be a jump sniper. Personally (my opinion only) I rather like the nova and feel it's a really good mech.

The Thor would probably have a better role, if they had not released the Mad Cat S as well. Being the premier clan jumping heavy would help define its role better, but right now you just start to wonder why you don't just that Mad Cat S sides instead.

I have not used the Thor yet, as it doesn't have a free trial price for use yet. I wished they continued to make the primes as trial mechs for at least the first 4 clan mechs.

Edited by Tesunie, 27 September 2014 - 07:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users