• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

I just realized that we no longer have a section for posting MWO News related information. Does that mean we can use this thread to track MWO in thew news, reviews, etc. now since we no longer have a subsection specifically for that? (and no, that doesn't mean your opinion on whether it's "good" or "bad" is needed), this is a question for actual staff members that can make that call regardless of player opinions.

It's also where we used to post free codes from various publications to help notify players when free stuff is being given away by 3rd parties. Such as premium codes, cockpit items, etc.

So post them here!

Edited by Sandpit, 23 July 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#2 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

If you're only interested in a response from staff, perhaps you should just email them directly at support@mwomercs.com

#3 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostLauLiao, on 22 July 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:

If you're only interested in a response from staff, perhaps you should just email them directly at support@mwomercs.com

no, I'm not interested in opinions on whether this is a "good" or "bad" idea, feel free to post links, articles, reviews, giveaways, etc.
This isn't a discussion on whether it's "ok" to post this thread in this section

#4 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 July 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

I just realized that we no longer have a section for posting MWO News related information. Does that mean we can use this thread to track MWO in thew news, reviews, etc. now since we no longer have a subsection specifically for that? (and no, that doesn't mean your opinion on whether it's "good" or "bad" is needed), this is a question for actual staff members that can make that call regardless of player opinions. It's also where we used to post free codes from various publications to help notify players when free stuff is being given away by 3rd parties. Such as premium codes, cockpit items, etc.
No, it means that you can use twitter and reddit, just like always.

WRT the free codes, I wonder if they are going to continue to move threads on that stuff from the GD forums now... I sure hope not.

#5 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

Yes, it'd go in GD. Where else would it go?

#6 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 22 July 2014 - 05:32 PM, said:

Yes, it'd go in GD. Where else would it go?

you never know, i don't like posting threads in the wrong subsection so if I'm unsure I'll ask

#7 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

I think they killed that forum when at best the "news" on the game was mediocre, and critical overall.

Best scores I saw were about 7/10, and those made it clear that the game was far from complete or was promised. If they did it today, the story would be exactly the same only they would contain something along the lines of "MWO, 12 months later, no significant progress".

#8 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 22 July 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

I think they killed that forum when at best the "news" on the game was mediocre, and critical overall.

Best scores I saw were about 7/10, and those made it clear that the game was far from complete or was promised. If they did it today, the story would be exactly the same only they would contain something along the lines of "MWO, 12 months later, no significant progress".

again, that's not what this thread is for guys. got news? post it, got reviews? post them, got free codes from online giveaways? post em. Could be a cool resource for us to have again

#9 Jolly Llama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 457 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 July 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

I just realized that we no longer have a section for posting MWO News related information. Does that mean we can use this thread to track MWO in thew news, reviews, etc. now since we no longer have a subsection specifically for that? (and no, that doesn't mean your opinion on whether it's "good" or "bad" is needed), this is a question for actual staff members that can make that call regardless of player opinions.

It's also where we used to post free codes from various publications to help notify players when free stuff is being given away by 3rd parties. Such as premium codes, cockpit items, etc.

They killed that forum because they consolidated all the forums together. Convenient that all those links to bad press disappeared in the process.

#10 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

Well, that and they don't use the forums anymore. Not enough people here that stroke their egos...all they get is flaming from us.

They went to twitter and reddit because...well...those are better developed and managed than the MW:O forums.

#11 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

View PostWillard Phule, on 23 July 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

Well, that and they don't use the forums anymore. Not enough people here that stroke their egos...all they get is flaming from us.

They went to twitter and reddit because...well...those are better developed and managed than the MW:O forums.

then dont' flame, stick to on topic stuff. There's a huge difference between "PGI, this really needs to be fixed, here's some ideas to help"
and
"Argghhh! PGI suxxors!"

Be articulate in your criticisms. You'll get a better response and support from other community members.

#12 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

I get what you are saying, but I have seen NO news about MWO in the longest time Sandpit.

you'd think that they would be reaching out to get new exposure, but perhaps the lack of change in content, other than mechs for sale, has them deservedly "skittish" about tooting their own horns these days.

I for one would LOVE to see some stuff that's not PGI related (NGNG that means YOU), so I hope some stuff shows up. With the current Forums structure it's doomed to slip off the front page quickly tho.

#13 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 23 July 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

I get what you are saying, but I have seen NO news about MWO in the longest time Sandpit.

you'd think that they would be reaching out to get new exposure, but perhaps the lack of change in content, other than mechs for sale, has them deservedly "skittish" about tooting their own horns these days.

I for one would LOVE to see some stuff that's not PGI related (NGNG that means YOU), so I hope some stuff shows up. With the current Forums structure it's doomed to slip off the front page quickly tho.

The news kinda ended after the horrible clan reveal.

#14 Cest7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

They probably removed the MWO in the news thread when all the "Hey is this game gonna be good?" articles turned to "LOL MWO failed hard"

#15 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

Of course not Mr Lubkiewicz, who trusts user reviews? Really, who cares what the players of the game think?

In particular, Metacritic, might be one of the ones you refer to, where MWO was equally damned by the Black Knights as it was lauded by the White Knights. For the most part the "biased" reviews sort themselves out and are readily identifiable, leaving the intelligent reader to seek the middle ground and decide for themselves.

In case you are wondering I gave MWO a 6 if I recall correctly...maybe even a 7, but my criticism was considered and well thought out, not an attempt to punish.

The fact that you don't regard these sites as reputable, kinda makes me wonder what you think about opinions here on the forums. You know, user opinions.

#16 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 23 July 2014 - 03:27 PM, said:

Of course not Mr Lubkiewicz, who trusts user reviews? Really, who cares what the players of the game think?

In particular, Metacritic, might be one of the ones you refer to, where MWO was equally damned by the Black Knights as it was lauded by the White Knights. For the most part the "biased" reviews sort themselves out and are readily identifiable, leaving the intelligent reader to seek the middle ground and decide for themselves.

In case you are wondering I gave MWO a 6 if I recall correctly...maybe even a 7, but my criticism was considered and well thought out, not an attempt to punish.

The fact that you don't regard these sites as reputable, kinda makes me wonder what you think about opinions here on the forums. You know, user opinions.

no, he's talking about you starting up your own blog just so you can bash, flame, circumvent the forums ToS, etc. while calling it a "legitimate news source" There's a huge difference dude

#17 Jolly Llama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 457 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

View PostSandpit, on 23 July 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

no, he's talking about you starting up your own blog just so you can bash, flame, circumvent the forums ToS, etc. while calling it a "legitimate news source" There's a huge difference dude

The only difference is that the opinions of paying customers means less than the opinions of paid public relations releases. I would not call any of the game site paid reviewers legitimate. When I buy games, I always check their forums and user reviews. That is how you find out about bugs and game issues that players hate.

#18 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

View Postgeodeath, on 23 July 2014 - 04:02 PM, said:

The only difference is that the opinions of paying customers means less than the opinions of paid public relations releases. I would not call any of the game site paid reviewers legitimate. When I buy games, I always check their forums and user reviews. That is how you find out about bugs and game issues that players hate.

which is exactly what you can do on the forums.
creating a blog on wordpress does not make it "news"

What I'm talking about for this specific thread is professional journalism and professional company free giveaways.

Anyone who wants to promote their blog and such has the same ability to start a thread specifically for that. That's just not what this thread is for.

#19 Grand Ayatrollah

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 23 July 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

It's also worth noting that we do not regard the following as reputable news sources:
  • Opinions (ex. Op-Eds, LTTE, opinion pages on News Sites)
  • Questionable Sources (ex. Author does not provide their name or press credentials)
  • Self-Published Sources (ex. Personal Blog)
  • Gaming Fan/Community Sites (ex. User Reviews or Posts in a gaming forum)
We highly appreciate those who would go out of their way to blog their thoughts about the game, however, out of respect to both professional journalists and their institutions, we will not be confusing any of the above listed sources as being part of the Fifth Estate.

Agreed. It is always better to stick with reputable reviewers, journalists, video game pulishers, video game developers. Questionable self-published independent news organizations, journalists, video game publishers (ex. only two games), video game developers (ex. changes name from Jarhead games to PGI to hide their shame; receives cease and desist orders on multiple occasions) ALWAYS turn out to be a waste of time.

Edited by Grand Ayatrollah, 23 July 2014 - 05:09 PM.

#20 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostSandpit, on 23 July 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

I agree, but his reference can also be applicable to MetaCritic, which is a site where Users review games;
  • Gaming Fan/Community Sites (ex. User Reviews or Posts in a gaming forum)
Personally, that statement can be easily inferred to mean MetaCritic, which depends on "User Reviews" and as such I find it to be very dismissive of "Users", both of which we are.

I totally agree with you about the "own blog" thing, but as a Community manager, surely he said what he meant, and if that's not what he meant, he needs to be careful and reddit, I mean EDIT, what he posts.

Edited by TLBFestus, 23 July 2014 - 05:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users