72 replies to this topic

#41 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

View PostSnowdogJJJ, on 30 July 2014 - 04:11 AM, said:

They have taken away the "useful" modules and given us less in return (or so it seems). It just feels odd, so many things that need to be added and these are the things we get? Maybe in the long view it will make sense, time will tell.

But for now I have no use for the less that advantageous weapons mods.

I have said this myself. In fact I keep asking why PGI is fixing thing that aren't broken. The prior module set up had zero problems with us so why change it? Also if they have big plans for modules, why not wait until the entire system is ready rather than make a half-arse changes that frustrate and piss off players who can't see the big picture because PGI has it hidden.

Same for the JJ changes. No one complained that 5 JJs gave too much lift, yet they nerfed the lift 5 JJs gave. It wasn't broke so why was it fixed. Obviously if they are going to add a mech module that gives JJs 50% more thrust (hoping) then it makes sense but without that module, you just have pissed off players.

Basically PGI needs to give up the big picture if they are going to change something because of that big picture.

#42 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 30 July 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

I see where you're coming from, but projectile speed is already affected by Clan targeting computers. And reload speed is pretty much the same as rate of fire, which I already put in there.

But you could always do damage, rate of fire, range. Or heat, rate of fire, range. You could even make cockpit shake one of the three factors, but that might cause even more protests.

It shouldn't be affected by targeting computers, either. That was always asinine.

But yeah, you're right, reload speed it is the same as rate of fire. I just woke up, so I'm a little slow. :P I do like the idea of increased or decreased impulse; one of the old uses for AC/2s was just constant rattle from high RoF. It made people duck, even if you didn't do a lot of damage to one location.

#43 Jonny Taco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 706 posts
  • Locationan island

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 29 July 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

The weapon modules suck and pgi is bad at designing games.

Paul needs the axe... If only the lead game designer was even 1/10th as talented as the artists.

#44 PANZERKAT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

A weapon module that increases the ammo in your bins. That is a useful module.

#45 Andross Deverow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 458 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostL3GR0DANCER, on 29 July 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

Official Update: PGI is aware of your concerns and requests that you discreetly go f$ck yourselves.

AHAHA!! thats about it... A Truthing... :)

#46 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

View Postlartfor, on 30 July 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

Paul needs the axe... If only the lead game designer was even 1/10th as talented as the artists.

The problem isn't any one person, but too many chefs in the kitchen.

#47 PANZERKAT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

It feels like there's too much committee action going on and not as much forward momentum by decisive decisions.

#48 Hillslam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

Apparently you folks don't understand PGI too well.

PGI has an absolutely raging hardon for heat. They've said so. They love it. They want more of it. They feel its central to the lore and the MW experience. They biased the MM to weight hot mechs toward hot maps. They hate heat neutral mechs. They feel heat slows combat, adds depth, balances builds and on and on and on.

Don't be surprised that weapon modules came with extra heat. Don't ever expect that to go away either.

#49 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

View PostHillslam, on 31 July 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Apparently you folks don't understand PGI too well.

PGI has an absolutely raging hardon for heat. They've said so. They love it. They want more of it. They feel its central to the lore and the MW experience. They biased the MM to weight hot mechs toward hot maps. They hate heat neutral mechs. They feel heat slows combat, adds depth, balances builds and on and on and on.

Don't be surprised that weapon modules came with extra heat. Don't ever expect that to go away either.

Hmmm, interesting

And regarding the bias of hot mechs to hot maps...Damn you! but sneaky. :), I like it!

#50 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Any module that increases heat is worthless

#51 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

View PostNextGame, on 31 July 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

Any module that increases heat is worthless

pretty uch the universal opinion of the customers. Too bad PGI doesn't realize that their "good" ideas sometimes stand in direct contradiction of what the customer wants. You know, those guys who pay the bills at PGI...

#52 Ambuscade

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

Weapon modules to me should be something like the "runes" system from League of Legends. Fairly costly items to acquire that only offer small buffs. However, there is a large variety, offer a wide range of combinations for customization, and present no drawbacks.

MWO weapon mods should offer a small boost, but with no drawback. I think they should be a heck of a lot cheaper then they are now as well. They are tiered, so make each one cost a small amount (more for each higher level tier). The sum of five should total somewhere around 1 to 3 million c-bills. That's my take on them.

Ambuscade

Edited for typo.

Edited by Ambuscade, 31 July 2014 - 02:09 PM.

#53 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

There should at least be a cheap version.

I'd kind of like it if they were like the runes in Diablo III, and completely changed how weapons worked. You could have your 'Streak' rune that made SRMs track, but required lock on, and your 'Ultra' rune that let you refire ACs early but risked jamming, and your 'pulse' rune that made lasers burn faster and do a little more damage at the cost of range.

But BT already did that with different actual weapons to load onto your mech, so it'd be a little redundant.

#54 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

The effects are too small to get excited about, and the penalties seem inequitable.

Here's hoping they are getting their feet wet and have bigger things planned.

#55 Ambuscade

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

I agree with Felio, weapon modules have a ton of potential and I hope this is only the beginning. However, I think the buffs they grant should still be small. Make the bonuses too big, and we through weapon balance more out of tune then it already is.

Ambuscade

#56 Lefty Lucy

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

View PostAmbuscade, on 31 July 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

Weapon modules to me should be something like the "runes" system from League of Legends. Fairly costly items to acquire that only offer small buffs. However, there is a large variety, offer a wide range of combinations for customization, and present no drawbacks.

MWO weapon mods should offer a small boost, but with no drawback. I think they should be a heck of a lot cheaper then they are now as well. They are tiered, so make each one cost a small amount (more for each higher level tier). The sum of five should total somewhere around 1 to 3 million c-bills. That's my take on them.

Ambuscade

Edited for typo.

Nonsense. It's a PVP game. Any advancement it has should be in options available, not in power.

#57 Ambuscade

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

Lefty I am afraid you are going to have to clarify for me. League of Legends, though can be played against AI, is largely a PVP experience. MWO is entirely a PVP experience. I fail to see the difference.

Ambuscade

#58 Lefty Lucy

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

View PostAmbuscade, on 31 July 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

Lefty I am afraid you are going to have to clarify for me. League of Legends, though can be played against AI, is largely a PVP experience. MWO is entirely a PVP experience. I fail to see the difference.

Ambuscade

Yes, but LoL also sharply segregates players by ranking. In MWO you have scrubs routinely fighting against pros. There's no reason the "pros" need any further advantages than simple player experience and skill.

#59 Ambuscade

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

Ah, excellent point.

Ambuscade

#60 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

Modules should be per weapon, not per mech (ie you put them on the weapon. Weapons with more module slots cost more.

As I mentioned earlier, and someone else mentioned, they need to be like runes or gems in different games.

Currently they're boring and useless, perhaps even negative to use. Seriously, who the hell will increa their range by 20 meters for any increase in heat. The range increasements are completely worthless. Make them increase range by 25% (or more) and maybe people will think ok,.

Also make modules appear as part of salvage rather than just CBs. That way the reward for fighting isn't so generic, and you can have soper rare modules that are pretty damn good, or throwaway modules that you simply sell. As currently, weapon modules are all a waste of focus for PGI, and boring for us.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users