Saying You Have A Bad Team Doesn't Mean Everyone But You Sucks

104 replies to this topic

#1 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

I just had it happen last match were I commented on my frustration that I had three bad teams in a row. Of course the comeback was something along the line of "Oh so its all the teams fault right?" with the implication that I was claiming everyone else sucked but I was great.

The thing is, saying that your team sucks doesn't mean that the players on your team suck, it just means that your "Team" as in everyone actually coming together to win a match, sucked in that regard.

You can have the absolute best individual players imaginable, and if they all decide to go do their own thing running all over the map, ignoring everything but their own agendas then your team is going to suck and fail.

So try not to take things so personal when someone coments that the team sucks because obviously it did suck or you wouldn't have lost 0-12.

#2 Henree

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 501 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

or you could just stfu and go cry on the forums :angry:
(just joking)

:D

Edited by Henri Schoots, 24 August 2014 - 07:59 AM.

#3 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 24 August 2014 - 07:56 AM, said:

You can have the absolute best individual players imaginable, and if they all decide to go do their own thing running all over the map, ignoring everything but their own agendas then your team is going to suck and fail.

"Best" players don't run off on their own.

That's what bad players do, because they think they are the hero and don't like to be told what to do - this is a team game.

Teams win, teams lose.

I just had a team take the center of Terra Therma, then with full advantage and up one kill they rushed out of the center into what must have been at least 6 mechs with LRMs and TAG and NARC (Solo PUG queue).

They died in short order.

That was a bad team, that lost because a few bad players went rambo instead of thinking.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 24 August 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#4 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:28 AM

So try not to take things so personal when someone coments that the team sucks because obviously it did suck or you wouldn't have lost 0-12.

Even the best teams in the world have bad matches.

The fact is the team may or may not have sucked, but your attitude sure as hell does.

#5 Henree

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 501 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 24 August 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

"Best" players don't run off on their own.

That's what bad players do, because they think they are the hero and don't like to be told what to do - this is a team game.

Teams win, teams lose.

I just had a team take the center of Terra Therma, then with full advantage and up one kill they rushed out of the center into what must have been at least 6 mechs with LRMs and TAG and NARC (Solo PUG queue).

They died in short order.

That was a bad team, that lost because a few bad players went rambo instead of thinking.

I see the center more as a kill box.

#6 Kvaneal

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

The Denver Broncos have been blown out in the Super Bowl three times. Were they a bad team? Many of us play a dozen or more drops a day. There are bound to be some good matches and some poor ones. Good players will have some oopses and clearly awful players will put up some good results every now and then. Either way it's still just a game, for entertainment purposes, and crying about the results does no good for anybody. If you don't enjoy the game go do something else.

#7 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

View PostHenri Schoots, on 24 August 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:

I see the center more as a kill box.

It does depend on the team's ability to hold it for sure, it's never a guarantee.

If the majority of your team takes it in short order, and can manage to hold a few doors and adjust as the opposing team tries to find entry then most of the time you will win.

At the very least it gives you a height advantage, and allows you to deny LRMs.

Enemy players are either forced into choke points, or have to run out and expose themselves to fire up on you.

It's not a guarantee, but it is one of the strongest positions on the map - especially when team composition is random and there is no VOIP.

If both teams arrive at the same time, then it's a very different scenario.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 24 August 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#8 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

Yeah sometimes players in a team just have a bad round, for reasons unknown.. :D
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Just a few screenshots during the challenge.

Edited by Odins Fist, 24 August 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

View Postxhrit, on 24 August 2014 - 08:28 AM, said:

Even the best teams in the world have bad matches.

so, in that instance, the team sucked, yes? Not saying vocalizing it usually accomplishes anything useful, but when you get rolled 12-0? If someone says "we sucked", about the only legit answer is "Yup, and you were part of it".

#10 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

I just say less q.q more pewpew.

People are already bummed out when they get crushed, saying "This team sucks" or "You guys suck" or anything along those lines just breeds more contempt within the community.

12:0 is a celebratory victory indeed. Chances are the winning team had the right mix, took the right advantages at the right time and kept them. Chances are, they have several close calls and could have wound up sending half a dozen dogtags home if things went just a tiny bit differently.

#11 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

Announcing that your team was bad makes you a jackass.

#12 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

View PostFDJustin, on 24 August 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

Chances are, they have several close calls and could have wound up sending half a dozen dogtags home if things went just a tiny bit differently.

And sometimes that "ISN'T" the case..
When you have a match with (7) people doing under 100 damage, (1) under 150 and (1) more under 200, then potato to the 9th power. :D

Edited by Odins Fist, 24 August 2014 - 09:32 AM.

#13 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostKvaneal, on 24 August 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

The Denver Broncos have been blown out in the Super Bowl three times. Were they a bad team? Many of us play a dozen or more drops a day. There are bound to be some good matches and some poor ones. Good players will have some oopses and clearly awful players will put up some good results every now and then. Either way it's still just a game, for entertainment purposes, and crying about the results does no good for anybody. If you don't enjoy the game go do something else.

Yes, they were.

And that's the first thing to fixing bad- admitting to it, feeling bad about it, and being ashamed enough about it to do better.

There was nothing "good" about your 2-12 loss, no matter what your personal stats were. There is nothing good about saying "GG" about it, nor making excuses about it. If you were good, you would have kept the team alive to kill more. You're at the top of the manure pile, but you still stink. You did not do good. Your team did not do good. The only thing that was "good" about it is that you were stomped- good. Whether this was a slow, painful stomp or a brief obliteration does not matter. If you left them at 8% heath, it does not matter. That just means 92% wasted damage and your opponent wasted less, and you are a pile of smoking corpses.

You think you can't carry harder? There's people out there with 12-kill games. You can always do better. You can be the last guy and kill 5 of them when there's two of you left. You can be that light that systematically drops the enemy team by picking them apart. If you lose, it is always your fault. And his fault. And every member of the team's fault.

And the only way it changes is if you rub their noses in it, kids. Even if it means you slap someone's mental knuckles instead of going "Oh, GG really". Good game = "Victory". Maybe "Tie" in some cases. Never "Defeat". Anything else means people go into a game feeling "Hey, it's OK if I don't actually play to win as long as I don't look like a flaming derp doing so!". And that's why you keep getting those stomps. Failure is an acceptable, appreciated option.

#14 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

Complaining about the team makes you look like a sore loser especially if you start complaining and the team is still playing...

Sadly it is becoming more and more common nowadays.

Edited by EvilCow, 24 August 2014 - 09:37 AM.

#15 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

View PostEvilCow, on 24 August 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

Complaining about the team makes you look like a sore loser especially if you start complaining and the team is still playing...

When 4 guys stop dying in the first two minutes of nearly every loss I've been a part of this weekend, then I will stop telling them about it.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 24 August 2014 - 09:42 AM.

#16 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

View PostOdins Fist, on 24 August 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

And sometimes that "ISN'T" the case..
When you have a match with (7) people doing under 100 damage, (1) under 150 and (1) more under 200, then potato to the 9th power. :D

Yes, sometimes it isn't the case. But damage isn't the only meaningful factor. I've had matches where I managed to do nothing more than delay an approach, or break a few components, or peel a light or two from the back of a direwhale.
All under 100 damage. All significant contributions.

#17 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

View PostEvilCow, on 24 August 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

Why yes, I am sore when six of my team dies to kill one of theirs. Sore at my team. The winners, not at all. They, after all, did things right and managed a good stomp. I was bad, and I'm not happy with myself either.

It's a good thing to express yourself when someone does something bad and it has an effect on you. Restraining it implies approval of the very acts that caused you stress in the first place and only insures they'll be repeated for someone else to be hurt by them in the next match. If your team can only count to potato, tell them as much. Bluntly. Often. If they don't get mad about it, they'll do it again to the next team they're on, guaranteed because silence or "GG" means that you've given positive reinforcement to what they did badly in the first place...and humans given praise and acceptance for an action repeat it.

#18 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

I just had it happen last match were I commented on my frustration that I had three bad teams in a row. Of course the comeback was something along the line of "Oh so its all the teams fault right?" with the implication that I was claiming everyone else sucked but I was great.

The thing is, saying that your team sucks doesn't mean that the players on your team suck, it just means that your "Team" as in everyone actually coming together to win a match, sucked in that regard.

The only way to make this comment and not look like a total douchebag for it, is to include yourself in the complaint.

"we sucked" versus "this team sucks"
makes a world of difference, the response to #1 is often, "yep, lol" the response to #2 is often "STFU, GTFO"

Remember, people can't hear your tone or inflection, so you have to pick your worlds very carefully not to insult people. something you say in frustration in general could sound condesending or even hateful if people read it with a different tone than you mean it

Edited by KamikazeRat, 24 August 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#19 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

Yeah, saying that the team sucks is pointless and just antagonizes people. Every match is different and depends on the situation. I've gotten 6 kills and 1000 damage in some matches and in others I've died in the first two minutes with 30 damage. The MWO battlefields are increasingly lethal and unforgiving. One miscalc and you're NARCed or you'll turn a corner and find two Direwolves staring you down.

#20 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

View Postwanderer, on 24 August 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

Why yes, I am sore when six of my team dies to kill one of theirs. Sore at my team. The winners, not at all. They, after all, did things right and managed a good stomp. I was bad, and I'm not happy with myself either.

It's a good thing to express yourself when someone does something bad and it has an effect on you. Restraining it implies approval of the very acts that caused you stress in the first place and only insures they'll be repeated for someone else to be hurt by them in the next match. If your team can only count to potato, tell them as much. Bluntly. Often. If they don't get mad about it, they'll do it again to the next team they're on, guaranteed because silence or "GG" means that you've given positive reinforcement to what they did badly in the first place...and humans given praise and acceptance for an action repeat it.

Oh good grief, do you think anyone finishes with 80 damage in a 0-12 stomp and thinks "That was brilliant! I want to do that again!" If you have actual advice (i.e. 'Counter ECM' or 'ignore the disarmed Stalker'), fine, but what does "This Team Sucks!" accomplish? Nothing. It's just an outlet for the whiner to absolve himself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users