Saying You Have A Bad Team Doesn't Mean Everyone But You Sucks

104 replies to this topic

#41 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 August 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:

Gotta disagree with this.

I hold the door open for a lady, and she turns out to be some new age femiNazi who lambasts me for "patronizing her and trying to keep her repressed in the Stone Age" (true story that... gotta love the People's Republic of California).....

Is the problem me showing common courtesy, or her reading something else into it due to her personal bias.

I grew up playing sports. You shook hands with the other team and said GG, period. Because it was manners and sportsmanship. I say GG, in all but the worst stomps, because even if the other team stomped us, well, they played hard and deserve commendation. When I am on the winning team, unless the other team just folds and curls up in the fetal position, I "GG" because usually they at least tried. I have seen some teams pull some nice maneuvers, and still get stomped for various reasons. I commend them for their effort. But also, whenever possible, I try to explain what I thought was good, such as "GG, nice pincer maneuver. Really caught us off guard".

If people get their panties in a bunch over it, that is a them problem, and they can feel free to try to hunt me down next time we are in drop together.

Hahaha, well, people looking for a reason to hate you will find it in anything.

"I grew up playing sports. You shook hands with the other team and said GG, period. Because it was manners and sportsmanship." Well, that's what I meant. That's the normal meaning, and what most people will- and should expect. If you say GG as a backhanded insult, you're just being a coward.

#42 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

View PostFDJustin, on 24 August 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

Hahaha, well, people looking for a reason to hate you will find it in anything.

"I grew up playing sports. You shook hands with the other team and said GG, period. Because it was manners and sportsmanship." Well, that's what I meant. That's the normal meaning, and what most people will- and should expect. If you say GG as a backhanded insult, you're just being a coward.

totally agreed. It's also why I despise certain members of the HoL. Aside from the epic arrogant douchery of their name (sorry to Audivo, Wispsy and the guys in it I respect), but the "GG. Close" tagline is the height of your typical modern internet lack of respect and courtesy. I don't care how "skilled" one is. If you cannot show respect, you never merit it in return.

Sadly, a concept lost on many today, or one people don't actually seem to care about in this "me first" society.

#43 Kensaisama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationRedford, Michigan

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

Guilty and I am sorry, I will try to be a better person and only scream at my keyboard instead of typing it in chat.

#44 Ozric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

Every player who complains about their team during/after a loss is a bad, and should feel bad for being a bad. In fact they do, which is why they make sure everybody knows they are a bad by complaining about the team like only a bad would do.

#45 Jonny Taco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 706 posts
  • Locationan island

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 August 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:

Gotta disagree with this.

I hold the door open for a lady, and she turns out to be some new age femiNazi who lambasts me for "patronizing her and trying to keep her repressed in the Stone Age" (true story that... gotta love the People's Republic of California).....

The most amusing part about this encounter is that she is being the sexist... She immediately straw manned the motives of you holding the door to be some chauvinistic display of superiority. In reality, you could have just been holding the door for a person (not a women or a man)... She's the one that jumped to the conclusion about it being gender related, aka sexist.

I know this is off topic as it's more a relative rather than direct example however living in Boston ma I've run into so many women that act the part you've described. Turning it around and calling "them" out for being the hypocritical sexists they are in public has gotten me many rounds of applause, I suggest you try the same! :D

Edited by lartfor, 24 August 2014 - 11:44 AM.

#46 Fleeb the Mad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

You're making a mistake when you judge anything solely by numbers, particularly in a lopsided match.

A lopsided match is never the result of a huge 12 v 12 brawl where everyone on your side fails to shoot the enemy. It's usually the result of small chunks of the team getting smashed flat by a 2 or 3-1 numerical advantage. In my experience that happens when the enemy team develops an offensive with momentum and your team is too strung out or scattered to deal with it, resulting in pockets of 1-3 people being trapped and steamrolled in sequence. Against such overwhelming firepower they die too quickly to post much damage, and the enemy mechs don't take very much in return.

Also happens in a rout where faster mechs retreat from an enemy blob and slower mechs get overwhelmed before they can link back up with the group.

As a corollary to this, many people posting 'good numbers' in a roflstomp often do so because someone else is taking all the hits and/or slowing the enemy mob down so they can engage in a more fair fight somewhere else. Sometimes the last people alive have the biggest share of the blame for not moving to where they needed to be with ample warning.

#47 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 August 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:

totally agreed. It's also why I despise certain members of the HoL. Aside from the epic arrogant douchery of their name (sorry to Audivo, Wispsy and the guys in it I respect), but the "GG. Close" tagline is the height of your typical modern internet lack of respect and courtesy. I don't care how "skilled" one is. If you cannot show respect, you never merit it in return.

Sadly, a concept lost on many today, or one people don't actually seem to care about in this "me first" society.

A couple months ago I got to witness the real-life equivalent of HoL in a flag football (note: FLAG FOOTBALL) league for the base I'm stationed at.

While most teams were usually shops/workcenters just enjoying some football after work, this team was the true definition of tryhard. They practiced for 2+ hours each day, had their entire team comprised of former high school/college level football players, 220+lb linebackers, etc. The games were hyper aggressive almost to the point I thought we were playing tackle football. I bruised a rib and got the wind knocked out of me as I tried to stop one of the 220+lb linebackers from blitzing our QB. One of our receivers came extremely close to a tib/fib fracture after 2 guys on the tryhard team hit him midair while trying to snatch his flag, causing him to spin almost 360 degrees while midair. Every call by the refs against them (including the ones about being too rough) were angrily challenged by their entire team, often intimidating the volunteer refs into lessening the severity of punishment or giving their side their favor in the final call.

After the game (they won, big surprise) most of their team sitting on the sidelines just left the field. The few to come out and shake our hands from our bruised and battered bodies and say "good game" did it in such a half-assed manner that most of them didn't even look at us as they shook our hands, most of them saying nothing. Just shaking our hands silently as they stared off into space while going through the standard post-game motions.

F*** those guys.

#48 KhanCipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 477 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

What i'm getting out of this is "L2P, Carry Harder, You didn't carry hard enough..." and I swear this is pretty much the exact BS that comes out of the WoT forums all we're missing is the insults about winrate, and that i've seen players in solo queue pugs play so much better than group queue pugs at times.

#49 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

Just out of curiosity, since I play the solo queue exclusively, I'm wondering how much of the following you guys that play groups see:

1 ) Someone driving a Trial Mech in third person, just wandering off on his/her own, firing at EVERYTHING it sees (including teammates).

2 ) People that don't seem to be able to fire without standing still and zooming in...and then, when they try to move, have apparently forgotten how to unzoom and end up falling off the edge of the world.

3 ) People that expect everyone else on their team to stand in the line of fire, holding target locks, so they can spam the air with LRMs....especially in a LRM 45+ D-DC.

Do you see where I'm going with this? We get this in the solo queue almost every single match, even more so during this challenge. Oh well, what can you do?

It's a good thing that PGI has supplied such well thought out tutorials to the new players as opposed to letting them play 25 matches in a pocket universe and then just tossing them into the deep end with an artificially inflated Elo score, right?

#50 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

I flame in chat very often. Its part of my internet manshoot ritual. To whoever feels offended: "Its nothing personal!"

#51 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

View PostKvaneal, on 24 August 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

The Denver Broncos have been blown out in the Super Bowl three times. Were they a bad team?

For the super bowl, yes they were a bad team! They were unable to overcome the challenge they faced three times!

#52 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostWillard Phule, on 24 August 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

Just out of curiosity, since I play the solo queue exclusively, I'm wondering how much of the following you guys that play groups see:

1 ) Someone driving a Trial Mech in third person, just wandering off on his/her own, firing at EVERYTHING it sees (including teammates).

2 ) People that don't seem to be able to fire without standing still and zooming in...and then, when they try to move, have apparently forgotten how to unzoom and end up falling off the edge of the world.

3 ) People that expect everyone else on their team to stand in the line of fire, holding target locks, so they can spam the air with LRMs....especially in a LRM 45+ D-DC.

Do you see where I'm going with this? We get this in the solo queue almost every single match, even more so during this challenge. Oh well, what can you do?

It's a good thing that PGI has supplied such well thought out tutorials to the new players as opposed to letting them play 25 matches in a pocket universe and then just tossing them into the deep end with an artificially inflated Elo score, right?

On a team, using team speak? There would be much good natured hazing of the individual who did those things!

#53 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

View PostWillard Phule, on 24 August 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

Trial mech in 3rd person occasionally. Firing at teammates almost never. When it does happen, it's not a trial guy - the 3 times I've seen it happen recently, it was a veteran player who I'd seen complaining about his team in other games, and then trying to say "hey, IFF is screwed up, he didn't have a triangle!". Yeah, dude, because the enemy team is going to be standing next to you at 10 seconds into the match, right?

Happens constantly; think these are usually new players who just haven't practiced much yet. Or really old people who can't figure out how the doohickey thingmajig works.

Only 1 guy who complained about it, and the entire team told him to get his own damn locks.

Be nice and tell them to (1) press F4 and play in 1st person view, and (2) focus on getting their own locks.

or was that supposed to be rhetorical?

tutorial or no tutorial; people learn at different rates. the ELO system is the major problem, not the players. being bad and inexperienced is OK, griefing is not. these people you described are just noobs who need more practice. just hope that the matchmaker puts the same number of them on the opposing team as it puts on yours.

#54 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 August 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

so, in that instance, the team sucked, yes? Not saying vocalizing it usually accomplishes anything useful, but when you get rolled 12-0? If someone says "we sucked", about the only legit answer is "Yup, and you were part of it".

nobody says "we sucked" though...its always some variation of "you all sucked"

when people in game complain about being on a "horrible team", they aren't including themselves in that statement, they are simply trying to insult their teammates and blame everyone else for the loss

#55 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 24 August 2014 - 07:56 AM, said:

I just had it happen last match were I commented on my frustration that I had three bad teams in a row. Of course the comeback was something along the line of "Oh so its all the teams fault right?" with the implication that I was claiming everyone else sucked but I was great.

The thing is, saying that your team sucks doesn't mean that the players on your team suck, it just means that your "Team" as in everyone actually coming together to win a match, sucked in that regard.

You can have the absolute best individual players imaginable, and if they all decide to go do their own thing running all over the map, ignoring everything but their own agendas then your team is going to suck and fail.

So try not to take things so personal when someone coments that the team sucks because obviously it did suck or you wouldn't have lost 0-12.

View PostViktor Drake, on 24 August 2014 - 07:56 AM, said:

I just had it happen last match were I commented on my frustration that I had three bad teams in a row. Of course the comeback was something along the line of "Oh so its all the teams fault right?" with the implication that I was claiming everyone else sucked but I was great.

The thing is, saying that your team sucks doesn't mean that the players on your team suck, it just means that your "Team" as in everyone actually coming together to win a match, sucked in that regard.

You can have the absolute best individual players imaginable, and if they all decide to go do their own thing running all over the map, ignoring everything but their own agendas then your team is going to suck and fail.

So try not to take things so personal when someone coments that the team sucks because obviously it did suck or you wouldn't have lost 0-12.

Yeah, but there are a lot of times where players with high ELOs get on teams that do absolutely nothing.

Like, they can't shoot, so the least they could do is stay alive but they can't even do that (by the way, I have over 1000 of these):
Posted Image

Posted Image

#56 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 24 August 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

nobody says "we sucked" though...its always some variation of "you all sucked"

when people in game complain about being on a "horrible team", they aren't including themselves in that statement, they are simply trying to insult their teammates and blame everyone else for the loss

Not true. I have said a time or two that "we sucked". Cause as a TEAM we did. Me included.

#57 CN9 ACE PILOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 306 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUNKNOWN

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

Winning 100% of the time does not exist on any elo.

Which is what i feel most people expect and are outraged when they don't, so used to their premade carrying them, never learning how to adapt and think on their own.

#58 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

View PostCN9 ACE PILOT, on 24 August 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

Winning 100% of the time does not exist on any elo.

Which is what i feel most people expect and are outraged when they don't, so used to their premade carrying them, never learning how to adapt and think on their own.

Uh, damages tell the story dude.

You can say all night long how the guy complaining or bitching is not "RIGHT" but when he does 1,000 damage and the you and the rest of the team does <200, there's no dispute.

Damages don't lie.

#59 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

It's the most frustrating when you get multiple kills on your own, then turn around and realize that everyone on your team has somehow died and not killed anyone.. or seemingly even done significant damage to the remaining mechs.

What are ya gonna do though.

#60 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 24 August 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

Not true. I have said a time or two that "we sucked". Cause as a TEAM we did. Me included.

well, everyone around here knows that you aren't your normal mechwarrior :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users