[Idea] Ppc Balancing

2 replies to this topic

Poll: The Role of PPC (9 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the role of PPCs in MWO?

1. xxxppc is for Brawlers (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. xxxppc is for Midrange Fighters (7 votes [77.78%])

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

3. xxxppc is for Snipers (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Golden Dragon

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSeoul, R.O.K

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

First, what does the community think the role of a PPC should be? Answer the poll so that PGI can take the community's opinion into consideration.

This is in response to this:
http://mwomercs.com/...ctive-feedback/

As always, I was speaking to my fiance about how xxxppcs can be balanced without destroying builds and adding variety. We came up with 3 possible solutions WITH a PICTURE for those with difficulty in reading comprehension. Mr. Urbie from sarna.net also visits us by replacing his small laser with a ppc. Thank you Mr. Urbie!

The "xxx" in xxxppc implies that this is not specific to clan extended range ppcs, extended range ppcs, and ppcs.

The effectiveness of the xxxppc has been represented by green (100% damage), yellow (50% damage), and red (0% damage).

Posted Image

The first (top) possibility is the xxxppc as a brawler weapon.
-From 0 meters to 200 meters, 100% damage.
-From 201 meters to 600 meters, 50% damage.
-From 601+ meters, 0% damage.

This greatly reduces sniping with the xxxppc making them optimized for brawling instead of sniping.

The second (middle) possibility is the xxxppc as a midrange weapon.
-From 0 meters to 200 meters, 50% damage.
-From 201 meters to 500 meters, 100% damage.
-From 501 meters to 700 meters, 50% damage.
-From 701+ meters, 0% damage.

This is the "sweet spot" method. A pilot controls their impulse to brawl and gets rewarded with maximum damage efficiency. All the while still inhibiting long range sniping, making it possible but undesirable.

The third (bottom) possibility is the xxxppc as a sniping weapon.
-From 0 meters to 200 meters, 0% damage.
-From 201 meters to 400 meters, 50% damage.
-From 401 meters to 800 meters, 100% damage.
-From 801+ meters, 0% damage.

This makes ppcs vulnerable to brawlers if they can ever close the distance between them. PPC snipers will always have to remain at a distance to remain effective.

FAQs (because I can):

You're distances are unfair and broken and dumb like your face!

That wasn't a question, but I did my best to give xxxppcs the ability to do SOME damage for the total range of approximately 650 meters in my three possibilities. The ranges are just for solid numbers though. It is the IDEA that is the goal of this thread. If you can argue better distances to express the brawler, midrange fighter, and sniper mentality, feel free to comment with your thoughts.

Why did you come up with such an out of the box idea?!

People were saying to add more ghost heat, nerf mechs, nerf jumpjets, add convergence, etc. So I sought to avoid all those things with a VERY POSSIBLE SOLUTION that can be added in game because changing range and damage at range is something PGI does regularly.

Why did you put xxx before ppc? Is it adult rated?

You missed the part where I explained that. It is written that way because I intended this idea to be applied to all ppcs. Clan extended range ppcs, extended range ppcs, and ppcs.

But lore/canon!

This is about trying to balance gameplay. Lore doesn't work here.

If someone wants to make a better looking picture to represent my idea, I will gladly replace mine for yours. But for now, it does its job.

Edited by Golden Dragon, 30 July 2014 - 07:01 PM.

#2 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

Its a all around mid-range weapon IMO. Not necessarily sniping, LL do that better IMO, and srms/lbx/ac20 do brawling better.

It's just sad it's impossible to get the heat efficiency of ERPPC on IS mechs, thus you have to essentially use PPC which range is bullocks i.e. 540m.

Thus, almost impossible to snipe battle a timberwolf with ERPPC that will actually HAVE better heat efficiency and be faster.

WITH THAT BEING SAID, I think the worst thing you can do in this game is eliminate long range fighting and make the game a brawl fest at 200m.

That would completely kill the game IMO and dilute the gameplay so severely. It would be like valve deleting the AK/M4 and AWP from CS and forcing people to only use the shot guns or p90's because the mainstream pub base was complaining about getting 1shot headshotted at long range by pros.

//end rant

Edited by E N E R G Y, 30 July 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#3 ExAstra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

PPCs are basically High Heat, low tonnage Gauss rifles.

You gain 7+ tons, 4 critical slots, and no reliance on supply lines for ammunition at the cost of excess heat and a minimum range (PPC), or horrendous heat (ER PPC).

So, it's a medium-long range weapon. And it functions as it should, really.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users